PDA

View Full Version : Old photos of long haired family members

Becky9679
October 21st, 2011, 03:48 AM
I was looking through some old photos at my grandmother's house the other day and came across this one. It's my grandfather's mother, my great-grandmother and would have been taken around 1900. According to my mum she had very long hair right up until when she died which was in her 80s. She always wore it up but mum says she saw it being put up once and her plait reached past her hips so loose it must've been at least mid thigh or longer. Although there's a bush in the way you can see in this picture that even braided and pulled over one shoulder it reached about hip so it must've been very long here.

Does anyone else have old photos of long haired family members? I think it'd be lovely to see them!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8101&pictureid=116707

MaryLA
October 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM
Great picture! Thanks for sharing.

isabelx
October 21st, 2011, 04:33 AM
Lovely picture! unfortunately I don't have any pictures of long-haired relatives as none of them had long hair! :(

Teazel
October 21st, 2011, 04:41 AM
What a wonderful photo; your great-grandmother had gorgeous hair, and it's lovely that she kept it long all her life. :bowtome:

This is one of my great-grandmothers:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=16865

Sadly none of my foremothers were photographed with braids, they always had their hair up. At least the above picture is an interesting style. :)

Peggy E.
October 21st, 2011, 07:54 AM
What a wonderful photo; your great-grandmother had gorgeous hair, and it's lovely that she kept it long all her life. :bowtome:

This is one of my great-grandmothers:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=16865

Sadly none of my foremothers were photographed with braids, they always had their hair up. At least the above picture is an interesting style. :)

Teazel, you have come by your beautiful hair - and your beautiful YOU! - naturally, I see. What a gorgeous young woman.

It is unusual to see the profile showing the back of her hair in such a way. I'm also surprised she wasn't wearing a special comb as they usually did when getting their photo taken.

My great-grandmother had very long hair. I remember her brushing it out every night and plaiting it for bed. She had it long - probably mid-thigh - until she had to go into a nursing home and then they cut it. She could no longer take proper care of it, and the workers in the home didn't really have the time.

Sad, but understandable, I guess. I always thought of her as "Samson" after that. She'd been a feisty old broad (in fact, she had a pretty good mean-streak in her), but having her hair cut off sort of took the wind out of her sails. She grew quiet, resigned, just waiting.

I have no pictures of any relatives with long hair. It's always up - usually that Gibson fluffed-up thing going on - and you can't see it. :o(

Manzanilla
October 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
My granny's hair was about waist lenght but now she cuts it about chin lenght because she thinks long hair isn't for people her age, and I can't change her mind :(

kitschy
October 21st, 2011, 08:10 AM
I've go no pictures with hair down. But here is my grandmother and her friend with updo's.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8905&pictureid=116712

Starlight1986
October 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Wow, this is so interesting! And all the pictures are very lovely! I wish I had some...
But the females in my family have/had very, very thin hair and they never grew it long. So, no photos to upload.

heidi w.
October 21st, 2011, 09:15 AM
Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

I have a photo of my great Grandmother that I've long wanted to share. She was voted most beautiful by a town she resided in for a long time. It is a lovely photo, and clearly shows she definitely at one point had longer hair. The hair is in an updo of some sort. I have to scan it and then re-size it to post it here, and I have a great deal of trouble re-sizing reliably so that LHC will upload the image. It's been spotty, and also explains why I don't have more photos in my Albums to share.

heidi w.

ebba
October 21st, 2011, 11:46 AM
I found a picture years ago of a family member in the late 1800's. It was so enchanting, it was 2 girls and the older one was combing the other one's hair which was blowing in th3 wind in the garden, and it was past waist length at least. I haven't seen it in eons, and thinking about it makes me want to find where it went :( haha

Pixna
October 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM
I love this thread! Such beautiful photos -- what a wonderful idea! I don't have any long-haired relatives to post pics of, but I just might adopt some of yours! :D

Fortresca
October 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM
My Granny had long hair in her teenage years. But she cut it off around her marrying, when she was 21. I have to search if I can find that ühoto, when she was about 12 and has that think braids, which open must have been about waistlenth - curly, od cause. I seem to be the only female in this family without curls...

Great pics!

Vallena
October 21st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

I have a photo of my great Grandmother that I've long wanted to share. She was voted most beautiful by a town she resided in for a long time. It is a lovely photo, and clearly shows she definitely at one point had longer hair. The hair is in an updo of some sort. I have to scan it and then re-size it to post it here, and I have a great deal of trouble re-sizing reliably so that LHC will upload the image. It's been spotty, and also explains why I don't have more photos in my Albums to share.

heidi w.

You can use imgur.com to resize pictures fairly easily, if you are interested. Or just upload it there and post a link, so you don't have to go through the trouble of resizing. Because I would love to see it, sounds like a lovely picture!

spidermom
October 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
Sigh ......... being the black sheep, I didn't rate receiving any of the family pictures.

Slinks
October 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Absolutely gorgeous photos !! no long hairs in my family either - I did have an Aunt who had between hip and tailbone length black hair, she was a true blue 60's hippy in the 70's :-)

Medusa
October 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
It's difficult for me to tell if my relatives had long hair that was pulled back or if it was just short. I love the pics that have been posted though!

ladonna
October 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
The OP picture makes my think of a character from my favorite book series, who also happen's to be my inspiration for growing my hair really long. I can't wait to have my wrist thick waist length braid!

uptosomeone
October 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
My great grandmother had thick hip length (I believe) raven black hair. I wish I could find a photo of it, it was so lovely.

ange1ito
October 21st, 2011, 04:55 PM
Such a beautiful pic, awwh it's so sweet you still have it :)

Lady Neeva
October 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
None of my family members had long hair except for my maternal grandmother. I saw it in a photo taken when she was 19 as she had (MBL?) hair. Anyhow, the picture's at her house in China, so I can't get it.

Juneii
October 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM
Lovely photos! I know my father's mother had long hair. I saw it when she visited America many years back. It was quite long but rather thin, maybe hip length? She always had it in a bun.

Teazel
October 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
Teazel, you have come by your beautiful hair - and your beautiful YOU! - naturally, I see. What a gorgeous young woman.

Thank you, Peggy! She was a lovely person, too, by all accounts. This can't be said of all my ancestors, so I cherish her. :wink:

Polgarra
October 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I would live to know how to do the updos that are not so tight. I look better with height (a pouf) in front.

MissCoco
October 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
I would live to know how to do the updos that are not so tight. I look better with height (a pouf) in front.

What I do is gather up the hair, like for a high ponytail, twist it until I have a regular, coiled bun, but loosen the coil at the top- in other words, the hairs at the scalp. Don't make the rest of the bun too tight as you go along either so that you get that lovely, "poufy" look, and pin/clip the coils until it's all secured. Don't hesitate to gently pull on some hairs at the front and back to get more volume. I hope this makes sense because I'm terrible at explaining things! :rolleyes:

Wonderful pictures, everyone! I love vintage things! :flower:

Tressie
October 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM
What beautiful young women and lovely hair! I have some photos I would like to share but my scanner isn't working right now! )o:

embee
October 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM
Lovely pics! I have a couple but...... alas, I have no scanner. :( Let me see what I can come up with.

Madora
October 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM
Here's a photo of my maternal grandmother, circa 1909. She had glorious red gold hair. I still have the locket and the amethyst pin she is wearing:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=116770

CherrySilver
October 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM
That's an absolutely gorgeous picture, Madora -- do you know around what year it was taken? You're lucky to have a locket and pin to remember her by, too. Does anyone in your family have her coloring? I wonder how long her hair was in that pic?

Madora
October 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM
That's an absolutely gorgeous picture, Madora -- do you know around what year it was taken? You're lucky to have a locket and pin to remember her by, too. Does anyone in your family have her coloring? I wonder how long her hair was in that pic?

Thanks, CherrySilver. It was circa 1909. My mom inherited the red coloring but it was a glorious shade of auburn, like Revere copper ware. Alas, mom was the last to have red hair. Daddy had black hair and that pretty much ruled out inheriting the red color. I do have a thin section of reddish color..and there are some tiny strands of the most gorgeous shade of red mixed in with all the dark brown in my hair. Makes me smile every time I see 'em!

Sorry, but I haven't a clue as to how long her hair was then. My grandmother did not like to have her photo taken and I only have one other of her taken at the same time, apparently.

Lostsoule77
October 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
All of these pictures are lovely. I don't know if anyone in my family had long hair. My mother's was between APL and BSL, but both of my grandmothers had short hair when I knew them. I'll have to see if I can get photo's from when they were younger to look into this.

The funny thing is that in my family now my niece and both of my nephews wife's all have long (around hip length) hair. Go figure.

Becky9679
October 22nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
Your pictures are all beautiful, thanks for such a great response!

vintage88
October 22nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Great thread! I love looking at old photos :) unfortunately nobody in my family ever had long hair lol

Pixna
October 22nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
What a beautiful photograph, Madora -- and how wonderful that you inherited your grandmother's locket and pin. That photo must be so meaningful to you!

Madora
October 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
What a beautiful photograph, Madora -- and how wonderful that you inherited your grandmother's locket and pin. That photo must be so meaningful to you!

Thanks, Pixna. Yes, indeed. My grandmother disliked having her picture taken. I have only 4 pics of her, and this one was the largest and clearest. She had cut off her red braid at sometime in her life and saved it, so that is how I know it was such a glorious red gold color. Judging from the length, I'd say that at some point her hair must have been waist length.