PDA

View Full Version : tailbone to BSL to pixie... and back?

catysue
October 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
hi guys! :) I've been quite an inactive member of LHC for the past six months. My hair was TBL, no bangs, lots and lots of henna. Around March/April I got bangs cut in and did a pretty big trim to BSL, to get rid of some unhealthy ends that were causing a lot of tangles. The hairdresser who cut my hair that time went on some huge rant about how bad henna was for your hair which pissed me right off, so I didn't go back to him. Towards the end of July/beginning of August I was overcome with a very intense desire to go SHORT, SHORT, SHORT! I was ready for a change. I loved my long hair, always did, but I was enamored of short, charming, cute pixie cuts. There were no dramatic circumstances in my life that would give me an emotional reason to cut my hair short, so I decided to go for it.

Waited two weeks, made a hair appointment at a very nice salon, and went for it. My hairstylist was amazing. He gave me a perfect cut. Everyone who was in the salon while I was getting my hair cut - stylists, customers, etc - would stop by periodically to see how it was going. It was quite a dramatic change so people were excited to see it. I loved the cut. Short, layered, messy, edgy, cute. Part of my reasoning for going short was also because I wanted to get the henna out of my hair and go blonde. I bleached it the day after I got it cut, but there was still quite a bit of henna in my hair so I was left with this bright, firey orange which was actually quite cool. I implemented a two-week bleaching schedule. Bleach, then baby my hair for two weeks, then bleach again. I knew it would take quite a while to get to the platinum blonde I wanted, and I actually really dug the bright orange color I was getting in the meantime. Eventually I got impatient and dyed it a deep red-brown in anticipation of the upcoming fall weather :P now my hair has grown quite a bit and it's getting to the point where I either need to get it trimmed or decide if I want to grow it out.

I'd been meaning to post pictures of my dramatic cut here right after I got it done, but never got around to it. So here is a sort of mini-timeline detailing my journey from tailbone to BSL to pixie and maybe you guys can give me your input on whether I should stay short for a while longer or grow it out. I realize that your opinions may be biased :P and in the end it is my decision, but it's always nice to get a second opinion!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=87178

October 31st of last year. I went ahead and called this tailbone. No bangs in the front. You can see the ends are a bit scraggly.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=116636

this is from a bellydance performance in April. You can see the hair in the front is around BSL, and I have bangs. Around this time I fell out of my LHC behaviors and stopped keeping track of the length of my hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=116632

a couple of days after the cut and bleach job

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=116631

also pretty shortly after the cut

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=116630

what it looked like when I wore it down and didn't style it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=116634

here it is a little bit longer and after the second bleaching

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4557&pictureid=116635

here is a photo that was taken at a bellydance performance this past Tuesday! I wear it down pretty much all the time now, it is way too long to spike or style up.

so there it is! :) thank you for looking at my humble little hair journey. I love my short hair and do not regret cutting it at all, however I am starting to miss long hair and consider growing it out again. As I mentioned earlier, any thoughts on whether I should grow or stay short would be appreciated!

Thanks LHC! Missed you!

growingpains
October 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Personal opinion, grow out! Love that you got to enjoy a funky hair cut for awhile but, just my opinion, I definitely prefer it longer on you. Even if it was a layered chin length I think I would prefer it. That's me though, I tend to like hair to be more face framing, but I can totally see why people think short hair is cuter, often funkier and more manageable.

I think my favorite length on you was BSL. Waist would be great too.

In the end, do what you like and what makes you happy. You will be gorgeous no matter what you do.

Yame
October 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
O hai tharr! I believe we were just talking on FB!

You have a really pretty face and can really rock that pixie. The long hair looked gorgeous, too! Lucky you to be so versatile!

Manzanilla
October 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Short hair looks really nice on you!! But, your long hair looks really nice too!!

ElusiveMuse
October 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I think that the pixie is super cute, but the long hair is very beautiful.

patchoulilove
October 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
As someone who has had hair as short as yours in my recent past, I would say have some more fun with your pixie! Once you start growing long again, you may miss the spontaneity of the edgy look (I know I have my days)! Maybe get one last trim and rock it until you are ready to grow again. You look fantastic either way!

Peace

Roscata
October 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I think your long hair was GORGEOUS!

Also I think having a pixie cut after a long period of having long hair is SO freeing. I wore a pixie cut for 10 years because of this. You can color it, wash it as often as you want, it takes like 30 minutes for it to air dry, you can straighten it, blow dry it etc and not worry about it because it will just grow back in a matter of months. If you went the distance to get a pixie cut I'd say enjoy it for a while and when you get bored with it grow your hair out again.

The pixie cut looks super cute on you by the way. :)

Juicematic
October 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I would rock the short pixie cut! It looks great on you

oktobergoud
October 20th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Wow, what a journey. You sure rock the pixie! :D If I were you, I'd just keep the pixie a bit longer, you can always grow it out again ;) Just enjoy it while it lasts!

newbeginning
October 20th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'm no help because I like all the different lengths/styles/colours. You're very lucky that you can pull them all off. Just have your hair how you like it for now.

racrane
October 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Well, I think you rock your pixie well. I would say keep your hair at your current length until you really would like to grow it out. It sounds like you know how to take care of long hair and it's beautiful either length.

Your makeup looks amazing, by the way. :)

thirstylocks
October 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM
WOW you are so beautiful!!! I usually hate short hair but you're face is so pretty and it goes so well with the pixie hair cut!! I love it.

ritza
October 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I like all of them...

Happy Hair Growing!:)

spidermom
October 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Oh my goodness, as beautiful as your long hair was, you really suit that pixie!
If it feels right to you to grow it, then grow it. You can't go wrong.

MiamiPineapple
October 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
You look SOOO cute with the pixie. I usually don't like short hair on most people but I think that cut was made for you!

ttverdy
October 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I gotta say, I love the pixie on you. It makes your makeup stand out more. Do you work at MAC? I saw a MAC shirt in one of the pictures :) I like your hair long, too, though. Do what makes you happy!

bedazzlecat
October 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I really like the short hair. Almost makes me want to cut mine. Also... LOVE the purple lipstick in the 2nd short hair picture. What brand/shade is that?

lokiveil
October 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Okay, so after looking at your photos, and assuming you had no weight variation in between pictures, I would say stick with the pixie. It takes a certain facial bone structure to pull it off, and you most certainly have it. I love long hair, but honestly? The one with the bangs did not flatter you, it made you appear to have baby fat cheeks (I'm sorry, I know that sounds mean, but I am just trying to be honest :( But the first couple of pixie pics where it is the shortest..... Wow, I would have sworn you lost 30 lbs! Just with how much your face appeared to change..... Being able to see you cheek bones made a BIG difference, and the way you had it spiked up was EXTREMELY flattering :)

I used to rock a pixie too, but I have one of those faces that can pull off almost any look...... Funny thing about the pixie I had though was that it tended to make me look too skinny..... I had a bunch of people ask if I was going to go back on the weight gainer (I have hyperthyroidism, so my metabolism is in overdrive)..... Long hair just seems to suit me better..... But I really like having my pixie and all the fun I could have with it :)

lokiveil
October 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Sorry, double post...... Stupid Okinawan internet :(

CurlyCap
October 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
My caveat is that I love dramatic make-up, and your short hair pictures are just more diva! So, it may lead to a little bit of bias.

That said, I vote short hair. At least for as long as you want to rock it. It looks great on you, makes your features pop. A lot of people on this board like to look at long hair as a investment that takes a long time to grow (and it is!), but short hair takes a lot of maintenance and dedication to keep it looking good. With the long hair, I didn't see anything I hadn't seen before. The shorter cut was different and fun and made me smile.

But hey! I'm biased! I did the same thing and loved my punky cut...until I got sick of maintaining it. XD Then it was back to the long hair routine.

WaitingSoLong
October 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I think the different cuts gives you a totally different "persona", so I suppose it depends on which persona you prefer! You can definitely do both, but the pixie looks a lot more fun and like YOU had a lot more fun with it. IMO you looked more fun/sassy with the pixie and more sweet/charming with the longer hair.

sisi33
October 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Don't you love it when you get a good stylist? It does look really cute right now- and my favorite had to be the orange transition! Have some fun with it while it's short!

tanpopokitty
October 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
First of all, you are sooo gorgeous! And I personally love you with the bangs and henna hair. I say go long and keep bangs and keep henna! You look super cute with fiery orange pixie cut too though, haha. :)

catysue
October 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you so much everyone for the lovely comments and feedback! I wish I could respond to every comment personally but I would go cross-eyed! Thank you so much to everyone who said something nice :)

I gotta say, I love the pixie on you. It makes your makeup stand out more. Do you work at MAC? I saw a MAC shirt in one of the pictures :) I like your hair long, too, though. Do what makes you happy!

yes, I do work at MAC :) love my job!

I really like the short hair. Almost makes me want to cut mine. Also... LOVE the purple lipstick in the 2nd short hair picture. What brand/shade is that?

thank you! I'm wearing MAC Magenta lip liner and Rebel lipstick

Okay, so after looking at your photos, and assuming you had no weight variation in between pictures, I would say stick with the pixie. It takes a certain facial bone structure to pull it off, and you most certainly have it. I love long hair, but honestly? The one with the bangs did not flatter you, it made you appear to have baby fat cheeks (I'm sorry, I know that sounds mean, but I am just trying to be honest :( But the first couple of pixie pics where it is the shortest..... Wow, I would have sworn you lost 30 lbs! Just with how much your face appeared to change..... Being able to see you cheek bones made a BIG difference, and the way you had it spiked up was EXTREMELY flattering :)

I used to rock a pixie too, but I have one of those faces that can pull off almost any look...... Funny thing about the pixie I had though was that it tended to make me look too skinny..... I had a bunch of people ask if I was going to go back on the weight gainer (I have hyperthyroidism, so my metabolism is in overdrive)..... Long hair just seems to suit me better..... But I really like having my pixie and all the fun I could have with it :)

funny thing is, I'm actually a good 15-20lbs heavier now with the pixie than I was back in April when I had long hair. Ha! The magic of a good hair cut! I guess that seals the deal then :p

My caveat is that I love dramatic make-up, and your short hair pictures are just more diva! So, it may lead to a little bit of bias.

That said, I vote short hair. At least for as long as you want to rock it. It looks great on you, makes your features pop. A lot of people on this board like to look at long hair as a investment that takes a long time to grow (and it is!), but short hair takes a lot of maintenance and dedication to keep it looking good. With the long hair, I didn't see anything I hadn't seen before. The shorter cut was different and fun and made me smile.

But hey! I'm biased! I did the same thing and loved my punky cut...until I got sick of maintaining it. XD Then it was back to the long hair routine.

Well I usually wear quite dramatic makeup when I work, but on days when I don't work I actually wear either no makeup or very natural makeup.

Thanks again guys! I think I am going to keep it short for a while and have fun with the color while I can. I want to try some funky colors like pink, etc.

zirena
October 20th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Oh my gosh, I absolutely LOVE the pixie on you! I't so flattering, keep it!

CC-Bale
October 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I love the pixie cut on you too. I wish I would look good with short hair but I swear to goodness that I looked like a boy.

misspurdy06
October 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM
There is something freeing about a short haircut. Long hair is only good if you enjoy caring for something.

Keep the short you have the face for it.

PixxieStix
October 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM
The pixie is rockin' on you girl! I adore the bleached orangy-blonde pixie, soooo adorable. I'd cut it again and keep rocking it for a while longer, enjoy it and have fun at this length, and maybe wait until you start feeling bored with it before you decide to grow long again.

Delila
October 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I think you're just gorgeous, hair long or short, but it does seem that you're really having fun with the short hair.

I love the playfulness that seems to come across in the short-cut photos, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily a result of the style, or just your personality shining through.

Enjoy it short? Keep it! :)

longhairedwolf
October 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM
You look really good with both long and short hair. Really! Good for you. I can't give you any advice on what to do - totally depends on which you prefer.

longhairedwolf
October 20th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I think the different cuts gives you a totally different "persona", so I suppose it depends on which persona you prefer! You can definitely do both, but the pixie looks a lot more fun and like YOU had a lot more fun with it. IMO you looked more fun/sassy with the pixie and more sweet/charming with the longer hair.

That says it really well, and I completely agree. It's sassy vs. sweet. Which one do you gravitate to more now?

lacefrost
October 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
WOW! I want to say that short looks GORGEOUS on you and so does long! It's rare to find someone who looks so beautiful with drastic lengths but you do!

battles
October 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM
You make me want to chop my hair off again. :D

Seriously, you rock that pixie. You look so pretty!

turtlelover
October 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Honestly, I like both, but the pixie is spunkier, so stick with it for awhile if you like it. It is cute on you!

share801
October 21st, 2011, 12:31 AM
You look terrific with the pixie and I generally really hate short hair!
Don't get me wrong, the length was beautiful but the pixie looks so fun with the bright makeup and all and how freeing not to fret over damage! :) You are fortunate either will flatter you. I can barely find one good style/length!

Eolan
October 21st, 2011, 12:57 AM
You make me want to chop my hair off again. :D

Seriously, you rock that pixie. You look so pretty!

Yes, very much this.

I am very, very enabled! :)

eshta
October 21st, 2011, 02:12 AM
I'm no help here and I'm also repeating, but I just have to say I like it all.
Both the pixie, bangs and long hair, blonde, dark red, orange. I can't say I love one style or color over another, and I'm usually not a fan of pixies.

infinity_girl
October 21st, 2011, 02:23 AM
You have a great face and the short hair really suits you! You are lucky as I don't think that many people can carry off a pixie, I certainly couldn't. Your long hair also looked lovely. I think you have win-win hair. It looks good short or long on you!

rapunzhell13
October 21st, 2011, 03:19 AM
Wow, you are gorgeous! I can honestly say that both suit you a lot. I know this is the long hair community but I gotta say that you rock the Hell out of the pixie. If I looked that bada$$ with a pixie then I would not grow out!! I don't know you personally but for some reason the pixie looks like it suits your personality for some reason. You seem to have a funky out there style and the pixie complements it well. You could always grow it out for awhile and see how you feel. A pixie is just one salon visit away. :)

MonaLisa
October 21st, 2011, 03:22 AM
I prefer it long. Can't see how that longest style suits your face, but your hair looked amazing :)

jeanniet
October 21st, 2011, 03:52 AM
Do what you want to do, but that pixie looks really, really good on you. You can always grow it out and then cut it off again! :D

lilravendark
October 21st, 2011, 04:46 AM
You look great either way!

PeacenQuietGal
October 21st, 2011, 05:08 AM
I love the pic from this past tuesday the best. You're pretty!