PDA

View Full Version : warning flat iron! her hair is on fire :O

arielįgua
October 20th, 2011, 03:21 AM
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq356/Batafurai/Straightening-Curly-Hair.jpg

Ok I was bored and decided to show how much I hate flat irons. :(
They destroyed my waves and it was a very expensive tool. -.-

ahaha this is supposed to make you laugh...no...? :/
i did the picture by the way it's 100% fake I assure you, no one did get hurt. :)

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq356/Batafurai/Straightening-Curly-Hair.jpg - same picture, different link

:cheese:

cheetahfast
October 20th, 2011, 05:20 AM
My expensive flat iron and heat protecting serums destroyed my hair too. I cut off the damage and now I'm about 4-6 months away from being back at my starting length (before the chopping of my damage), with much healthier hair.

Mi-chan666
October 20th, 2011, 05:23 AM
But surely you knew that heat would damage your hair, no matter how expensive the flat iron was...? Right...? Please tell me you did.

Jessykins
October 20th, 2011, 05:37 AM
i gave up using flat irons months ago before i decided i wanted to grow my hair uber long (and healthy), its too much faff on to have your hair straight for one day, you wake up in the morning and your hair goes back to how it normally is, its not really worth the long term damage. if anything my hair stays straighter for longer if i blow dry it, but i only have a slight wave at the ends of my hair.

Alaia
October 20th, 2011, 06:13 AM
But surely you knew that heat would damage your hair, no matter how expensive the flat iron was...? Right...? Please tell me you did.

You would be surprised how many people do not realise this. :)

geminiwoman
October 20th, 2011, 06:57 AM
A lot of people, myself included, know that heat is damaging but don't anticipate that the flat iron will be so much worse than other forms of heat. I can get away with using a blowdryer or hot rollers or something here and there without too much worrying. But 1 (ONE!) use of the iron shows about the same breakage and damage as several weeks of daily blowdrying. Which I never would have guessed before I bought it :o

spidermom
October 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I got a lot of damage from my curling irons. You actually have to keep your hair clamped in there rather than keeping it moving like you do with the flat iron.

Mi-chan666
October 20th, 2011, 07:50 AM
You would be surprised how many people do not realise this. :)

I know, but people on forums like this one? O_O I am a little shocked. I thought that it was common knowledge, at least here. ^^

NotInPortland
October 20th, 2011, 07:54 AM

In my experience the more expensive ones do more damage than the cheaper ones :p

ElusiveMuse
October 20th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I got a lot of damage from my curling irons. You actually have to keep your hair clamped in there rather than keeping it moving like you do with the flat iron.

Not if you start at the root instead of the tip. If you start at the root, you keep it moving just like you would for a flat iron.

Honestly, my hair just plain looks better when it's heat styled. I don't do it any more because I don't think it's tenable with long hair but I miss polished-looking hair. The alternatives (damp bunning) are fine but never quite the same. And my hair is not that much healthier in terms of splits and breakage. The only difference I see after almost 18 months of putting down the iron is that my natural curls are tighter. So I suppose that is an indication of health but...eh. I miss my giant curling iron.

spidermom
October 20th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Not if you start at the root instead of the tip. If you start at the root, you keep it moving just like you would for a flat iron.

I'm aware of that technique now, but when I learned to use a curling iron, it was start at the end, roll it up, and clamp it in there for a few seconds. My poor ends! I did a lot more damage with that thing than I did with my flat iron.

I don't use either anymore and don't miss them.

arielįgua
October 20th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Of course I knew. I never used it. Only once or maybe twice in my all life, and that was enough to realize it destroyed my waves. It was gift for my sister. Which I paid with my money and now I regret it. I know it was going to damage her hair. Actually I'm angry because some people, even knowing the effects of it, keep using it madly and daily, like my sister.

She used to have ii/iii hair and know she's just i in hair volume. She says she can't stand looking at herself without straightening it perfectly with the flat iron.

I could dedicate this thread to my sister. :)

By the way, I dry my hair naturally. Air.

Ligeia_13
October 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I had one of those that blew out steam so my hair actually got damp WHILE I was straightening it.

The horror.

Juneii
October 20th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Of course I knew. I never used it. Only once or maybe twice in my all life, and that was enough to realize it destroyed my waves. It was gift for my sister. Which I paid with my money and now I regret it. I know it was going to damage her hair. Actually I'm angry because some people, even knowing the effects of it, keep using it madly and daily, like my sister.

She used to have ii/iii hair and know she's just i in hair volume. She says she can't stand looking at herself without straightening it perfectly with the flat iron.

I could dedicate this thread to my sister. :)

By the way, I dry my hair naturally. Air.

we all put different values on each part of our body. If your sister likes the flat iron and the results she gets from using it on her hair then it is OK.

Kathie
October 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I know, but people on forums like this one? O_O I am a little shocked. I thought that it was common knowledge, at least here. ^^
None of us have been here our entire lives. Must have come here to learn and support each other. If someone doesn't know a common fact about hair care we should be helpful and show them the way. I thought that was what this forum is about- not announcing how shocked we are that someone doesn't know something.

cmg
October 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM
There were periods in my life where I could/would not show myself outdoors unless I had flat ironed my hair, or on occasion straight-permed it. This was while I was using chemical dyes. I stopped using them almost a year ago and my hair is much better now. It is beginning to look fine with curls and wurls. I dont have to cut it all the time either. No wonder :rolleyes:

I've been wondering about the heat damage. I wonder if it is not really a steam-damage really? There is water enclosed in every hair. The heat causes it to expand and the hair cuticle opens up - ergo sum more damage. Seems contradictory, since the visual effect of the flat iron is to, eh well, flatten it. :cool: We're idiots, arent we?

taimatsuko
October 20th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Ugh, the flat iron has scared me off for life. I know that applying heat will cause damage but I had no Idea that a single quick pass would actually destroy my curls in prominent areas. I looked like I had a bad jheri curl and had to shave my head. Avoiding heat like the plauge now. No Blow Dryers either.

cmg
October 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Yeah, blow dryers are the pest.

kidari
October 20th, 2011, 06:25 PM
In my experience the more expensive ones do more damage than the cheaper ones :p

A lot of people are told that more expensive, higher-end heat styling tools are "better" for your hair!

frodolaughs
October 20th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I haven't used any sort of iron or curler on my hair since I went to a sleepover in the 7th grade and the other girls tried to do my bangs. My hair was long then, but it's always been extremely delicate. At that time everyone (except me) was wearing their bangs high and curled. My 'makeover' crisped my bangs so badly that they fell off. Lesson learned. (oh, the agony)

longhairedwolf
October 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
None of us have been here our entire lives. Must have come here to learn and support each other. If someone doesn't know a common fact about hair care we should be helpful and show them the way. I thought that was what this forum is about- not announcing how shocked we are that someone doesn't know something.

Amen! That comment seemed rather rude to me too.

Kyla
October 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Concerning people misunderstanding/not knowing the OP's original situation (i.e not being here forever, buying it for her sister and not her, etc.), I think the misunderstanding has been made clear. No need for others to comment on it, in my opinion, as it can further cause hurt feelings, etc. :)

I loved your picture! When I saw the thread title I was sure that I would actually see a head on fire, and I was a bit scared clicking on it, honestly...I was a bit relieved when I saw the silly cartoon flames. :p
OP-if your sister likes it, what can you do? :o Although I totally understand your frustration....watching my friends fry and destroy their hair frustrates me too. One of them irons her already extremely straight hair!

CurlyCap
October 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I don't know.

I don't like flat irons in the sense that they are just a styling tool. And if I feel no compunction to wet set my hair every night, then why should I feel the need to flat iron?

When I do flat iron, it's like every 6 months, and it's a "for a day" thing. I let my hair air dry, flat iron it before I go to sleep, and wear it the next day. It's fun and the straight version of a complicated updo. However, I know that my hair gets very dry from the flat iron and is prone to breakage if kept straight, so I always go home and deep condition. It's my hair. It's fun. No long term damage if it's an occasional thing.

People are different. I'm sure some of my friends see me eating dessert after a nutritionally balanced meal and think I'm insane for hurting my body by giving it all that unnecessary sugar. I know it's harmful. I do it anyway.

My thing about flat irons and hair health is this: If people ask me how I take care of my hair because they want similar results, I have no problem telling them what worked for me. If they hear that advice and choose to ignore it, cool. If they're at a point in their life where fashion is more important that hair health, that's cool too. We all have our own road to take.

cmg
October 20th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Well said. We should not judge, but inspire each other instead.

arielįgua
October 21st, 2011, 04:02 AM
we all put different values on each part of our body. If your sister likes the flat iron and the results she gets from using it on her hair then it is OK.

I'm sorry to disagrre. But I don't think it's OK, since she wants healthy hair, and she's complaining of her damaged hair. She wants it long, but can't grow, because of the damage. Come on, let's face. It's like eating something you know it's gonna make you fat and unhealthy, but you keep eating it because it tastes good. :)

I'm trying to help her join in LHC so she can see by her own eyes.
She doesn't believe in most people's tips here. She says: "Oh they were all born with good genes..." :(
I know her, and I believe she's lacking confidence to wear her hair naturally dried, because her natural hair has waves, and she's not prepared to face it. :(
I really want to help her.

But this thread is for fun, specially the picture I posted, it's all joking. Ehehe xD