PDA

View Full Version : Cut or not to cut

BeccaAngel
October 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I've been thinkin about having a change, i know i wanna grow my hair out but its so fine (thin) that when its long it looks lifeless. I've even used volumizing products and it doesn't do much good. so I'm thinking of trying a new haircut and style all together. not cutting it all off just something to about my chin, i kind of want all one length anyway.
this is my hair now:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/Hair/meholdingthewalldown-1.jpg

but i want something like a one length bob, like this:
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/Hair/onelength1.jpg

What do you think?

BeccaAngel
October 19th, 2011, 07:42 PM
That pic of me is on my birthday last week, that's why i am dressed up princess like lol.

cowgirllong
October 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I think cutting isn't going to grow your hair out. :D

But liking the shape counts. If you want it to grow out all the same length, cutting it that way now will help. The less you take off, the sooner it is going to be longer. And once it is longer, there are lots of fun updo's you can try. I think everyone goes through a period of not liking the way their hair looks and updo's help you get through those times.

Just my opinion, and I hope it helps!

BeccaAngel
October 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I think cutting isn't going to grow your hair out. :D

But liking the shape counts. If you want it to grow out all the same length, cutting it that way now will help. The less you take off, the sooner it is going to be longer. And once it is longer, there are lots of fun updo's you can try. I think everyone goes through a period of not liking the way their hair looks and updo's help you get through those times.

Just my opinion, and I hope it helps!

i cant be pulling my hair up hardly because of my scalp condition (eczema) its very sensitive, even a loose updo gives it tension. and i don't want an aggravated scalp which is the main reason i want to cut it. i'm looking out for my scalp too. and i would prefer all one length and its at a decent length to cut it that way without cutting it too short.

torrilin
October 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
If I cut my hair into a chin length bob like that, it doesn't give me volume. Instead, my hair looks even thinner. And that's with hair that's a solid ii thickness. The reason my hair never looks like it has volume is because it's fine and basically straight. It is naturally very compressible.

A lot of the volume and texture in your example photo is because the woman in the picture has classic straight, relatively coarse and black hair. Since your hair is finer, wavy and a different color, you're just not going to get the same look. Yes, you can use various straightening techniques to fix that part... but there just isn't a way to make hair coarser.

BeccaAngel
October 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
If I cut my hair into a chin length bob like that, it doesn't give me volume. Instead, my hair looks even thinner. And that's with hair that's a solid ii thickness. The reason my hair never looks like it has volume is because it's fine and basically straight. It is naturally very compressible.

A lot of the volume and texture in your example photo is because the woman in the picture has classic straight, relatively coarse and black hair. Since your hair is finer, wavy and a different color, you're just not going to get the same look. Yes, you can use various straightening techniques to fix that part... but there just isn't a way to make hair coarser.

it was just an ideal style and cut, not really wanting that exact person's hair. i like the idea of a one length bob or just one length in general

Mesmerise
October 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I think you need to decide whether you want long hair or not! If you want long hair, cutting it into a bob isn't going to be productive. But if you're over the idea of long hair, then maybe a bob is a nice idea!

Honestly, in the past I have cut my hair so many times under the deluded reasoning that next time it grew out it would look better :rolleyes:. My problem is I have a bizarre wave/curl pattern that just isn't even over my head. Under the left side, it's quite curly... it's less curly under the right...and the left side is overall more wavy and the right is straighter. To me it looks ridiculous. But cutting it has never helped :o. I'm now thinking if I just GROW it it may look less ridiculous as the waves stretch out (maybe??!!).

I know you have a different hair issue to me (although my hair is also pretty thin...it does tend to be boofy), but maybe if you just grow it a bit longer you may find you like it more? I've seen plenty of thin/fine long hair that looks great.

Diamond.Eyes
October 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Well I know I really hated having short hair after I cut it. I immediately regretted it after seeing all the girls at my school with longer hair than me. If you want something new, maybe try bangs?

pixiedust
October 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
i cant be pulling my hair up hardly because of my scalp condition (eczema) its very sensitive, even a loose updo gives it tension. and i don't want an aggravated scalp which is the main reason i want to cut it. i'm looking out for my scalp too. and i would prefer all one length and its at a decent length to cut it that way without cutting it too short.

I know how you feel, I'm the same way :l I have the same hair type basically, as well.

I tried trimming my hair back to chin length to "restart" growing my hair out last summer, but it was an awful mistake that eventually led to me hating it even more, trying to colour/bleach it, shedding 1/3 of my thickness, and cutting it back to like, an inch long to REALLY start over :l

Not that I'm saying you're going to do that, but my hemline (and many of those who also have fine hair) always ends up becoming tapered like, 2 weeks after a cut, no matter how careful I am. It's just the way fine hair is, tbh.

By the way, this is really random but I'd recommend you try Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy shampoo if you're willing. It's obviously not marketed towards eczema and it does contain "dimethicone copolyl" but I've found that my scalp takes to it very well, maybe because it's sulfate and salt free. anyways (:

Maverick494
October 20th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I'd say go for it. If updo's aren't a solution because of your scalp, I think a shorter and weightless haircut like a bob could do wonders. You can always grow your hair long and if your scalp is in bad shape, everything is affected. I've sported a bob for a while and ended up really enjoying it because it made me look feminine even though it was short. I've also found they're easy to grow out if you have it at one length.

MonaLisa
October 20th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Wait a bit, and maybe you will change your mind. It's just a huge step backwards in my opinion.
Imagine ..how long it will take for your hair to grow back to the length you have now? And then imagine what length it would be in same period of time if you didn't cut it.
I don't think you should get bangs, as Diamond eyes suggested, if you are going for volume.
I think some long layers would help that.

jojo
October 20th, 2011, 02:57 AM
If you want all one length then id say cut to chin, your hair isn't long yet so its less painful to do it at this stage and grow from there.

Quahatundightu
October 20th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Hmm I think fine hair can look great in a bob style. If I were you I would wait a week or two, and see if I still wanted the cut! If yes, go for it! I'm sure it would look great, and if you don't like it you can always just grow it back out. It looks very pretty now by the way!

spidermom
October 20th, 2011, 07:31 AM
If you still have a goal for long hair, don't cut back so far. Maybe to right at shoulder length?

NotInPortland
October 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hmm a bob would be nice but if you still are hoping for long hair maybe wait a bit longer before cutting? If you're looking for a change how about some bangs or something? They can make a huge difference to your look and it's not too drastic the only problem is growing them out if you get sick of them.

luluj
October 20th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I love that cut, it would look very nice on you! :p

fiddlefananb
October 20th, 2011, 09:05 AM
That is a cute but I see a lot of women with it or something similar. It is much more unusual to see a woman with bsl hair or longer. I would wait, think it over, and if you still want to do it then go for it. It will always grow back. Keep us posted!:pumpkin:

CarpeDM
October 20th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I LOVE THE BOB and especially the length of the pic you posted. I had that same cut for many years and was soooo happy with it. The bob works great for thinner/finer hair so it worked out great for me. I really miss it and can't say enough great things about it. It is so flattering and easy! I totally understand where you are coming from with the lifeless thin hair thing. I go through it every day and I really miss having shorter hair. I guess it just depends on how much you want to have longer hair, it really takes a lot of time and patience to get it long, so you have to ask yourself what you really want :)

heidi w.
October 20th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I'm confused. One photo shows your hair at a chin length. So you must be around chin length already?

Also, you do not have thin hair. A fine hair type doesn't necessarily equate to "thin" hair. You have fairly typical hair and plenty of volume, it would appear. It is true that straight hair tends to look 'thin' when we compare to folks who have a lot of body or waves/curls. But you take the air out of their curls/waves, and you'll see you may well have more hair than some of them, in point of fact. To me, this is a post about a misunderstanding of what hair volume looks like for different hair types. Thin and fine hair are not the same thing. The fashion industry loves to pick on fine hair types; and yet, they're advocating straightening curly hair. Go figure it out. I can't. Why does everyone want what they just plain ole aren't?

You look fine. Truly. I've seen tons of heads of hair. I mean, even on shampoo commercials, such as let's take Jennifer Lopez. Her hair is dry, strawlike, and no shine almost, it's so heavily colored and apparently manicured, of sorts. I see a lot of hair commercials with problem hair, and it's being touted as incredible hair.

Harumph.

Cut if you like, but don't walk around thinking you have less volume than others, for you do not, based on your photos, anyway. Unless you've had some kind of health issue I don't know about, such as thyroid disease.

Cheer up. You have a hair type that many would love to possess.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
That is a cute but I see a lot of women with it or something similar. It is much more unusual to see a woman with bsl hair or longer. I would wait, think it over, and if you still want to do it then go for it. It will always grow back. Keep us posted!:pumpkin:

Have you applied the two week rule? That is wait for 2 weeks and see how you feel about your idea then?

heidi w.

growingpains
October 20th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Honestly, since your hair isn't super long I don't think it's a huge decision or will be a huge change. I think the type of cut you suggested would look great. I also think the slightly longer current length looks great. Just do whatever makes you happy, but I totally agree, invoke the two week rule.

In my opinion, if you want to grow your hair, leave it. It looks fab already (not thin like you say). If you want a more comfortable cut for your scalp and aren't in a rush to grow, cut it. Either way it will look good. I agree with Heidi: you have a great hair type, many people would enjoy that and want it.

BeccaAngel
October 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'm confused. One photo shows your hair at a chin length. So you must be around chin length already?

Also, you do not have thin hair. A fine hair type doesn't necessarily equate to "thin" hair. You have fairly typical hair and plenty of volume, it would appear. It is true that straight hair tends to look 'thin' when we compare to folks who have a lot of body or waves/curls. But you take the air out of their curls/waves, and you'll see you may well have more hair than some of them, in point of fact. To me, this is a post about a misunderstanding of what hair volume looks like for different hair types. Thin and fine hair are not the same thing. The fashion industry loves to pick on fine hair types; and yet, they're advocating straightening curly hair. Go figure it out. I can't. Why does everyone want what they just plain ole aren't?

You look fine. Truly. I've seen tons of heads of hair. I mean, even on shampoo commercials, such as let's take Jennifer Lopez. Her hair is dry, strawlike, and no shine almost, it's so heavily colored and apparently manicured, of sorts. I see a lot of hair commercials with problem hair, and it's being touted as incredible hair.

Harumph.

Cut if you like, but don't walk around thinking you have less volume than others, for you do not, based on your photos, anyway. Unless you've had some kind of health issue I don't know about, such as thyroid disease.

Cheer up. You have a hair type that many would love to possess.

heidi w.

my hair is an inch or so past my collarbone, that's my bangs that are closer to chin length, but even those are past chin. just to clarify

BeccaAngel
October 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Honestly, since your hair isn't super long I don't think it's a huge decision or will be a huge change. I think the type of cut you suggested would look great. I also think the slightly longer current length looks great. Just do whatever makes you happy, but I totally agree, invoke the two week rule.

In my opinion, if you want to grow your hair, leave it. It looks fab already (not thin like you say). If you want a more comfortable cut for your scalp and aren't in a rush to grow, cut it. Either way it will look good. I agree with Heidi: you have a great hair type, many people would enjoy that and want it.

I decided to leave the cutting idea alone, like anyone does, i go through that wanting to cut it off phase every so often. and i also decided that I'm not allowed to color it or use any chemical changing process on it. because of my scalp condition and i dont want it to get worse. so I'm gonna keep letting it grow but come January, Trim time! :P

Deborah
October 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I just looked at your hair progress pics. It looks like you grew through a bob back in 2010. I think it looks better now. Unless you are just bored, I think it would be good if you had it trimmed to all one length, wherever that ends up on you, then mostly leave it alone. If that requires a bob, then go for it. It it ends at your shoulders, then stop there. I think you will like it better once it is all one length and then allowed to grow to at least bsl, maybe way longer.

Try not to cut out of sheer boredom. It will set you back and slow down the whole process. Once it's long enough for nice updos, you can really have fun with it, and then it's never boring.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

lapushka
October 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Don't we all go through those awkward stages? I think the length you're at now is especially awkward. I remember that when I was at that length, I wanted to cut my hair shorter because it refused to behave.

Don't cut your hair because you're frustrated with it. You'll regret it.

I'd apply the 2-week rule if I were you.