PDA

View Full Version : Time to share your routine pls!!!

vatikagirl
October 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I keep looking at the siggy snaps of most of the members and think ... "I wonder what she does for her hair every time she washes... what products.... what methods... whats her routine?!!" so thinking this over and over again for most snaps... I now gathered my courage and am asking all of you friends, what is your hair care routine, what products you use and what methods you use along with the results.
I guess this will help everyone out here and specially people like me who keep wondering how did get those beautiful waves or length or just about anything....

I shall start with myself.

I have a 2b, M, iii hair. 30 inch in length, previously it was 36 inches then i had two chops and went to bsl in april ... on an average i have about 3/4th inch to 1 inch growth in a month.

Products I used:
Himalaya Herbals Protein shampoo
No conditioner
My own blend of herbal oil
Parachute Coconut oil
and a deep conditioning yohurt or egg mask every 15 days.
Henna pack twice a year

Method:
I like to oil my hair heavy (including scalp, followed by massage) after 1 day of wash, wear it in a braid for 2 days. Shampoo it with my himalaya herbal shampoo-sls free and loaded with herbal ingredients (diluted), i dont need to condition it as it is already deep conditioned with the oil.
Let my hair air dry till damp and then comb it with wide tooth comb, put it in my version of lazy bun. Occasionally i put a few drops of coconut oil to my length, on damp hair after hair wash, but this is only when i feel it to be a bit dry. Combing damp hair and securing it in a bun helps me in retaining the moisture and getting nice even waved shiney hair... as i gently allow my cuticles to lay flat.
for bed i braid my hair in simple english braid.

I wash my hair twice a week.

previously i was using sunsilk black shampoo... but wanted to go sls free and herbal so switched to himalaya herbal.

Results:
Gave me tangle free hair with lovely glossy shine.

Friends now its your turn.... :)

KwaveT
October 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM
You do realize there is a place in your profile to describe your haircare routine. Not many seem to put that information in theirs. It is at the bottom of the "About Me" section when you click for somebody's profile if they did it. Mine is in my profile. You have plenty of posts so you can view mine. Of course, you haven't even filled out your own on your profile since I just went and looked.

CurlyMopTop
October 19th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I wish that I could help, but I don't really have a routine yet. I keep changing my mind and trying different things. Currently I'm trying benign neglect. Wash and condition twice a week using various different shampoos and conditioners. Today it was Vo5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze for both. I then put in a dime to nickle size amount of Gardnier triple something condish and a tiny squirt of cony serum. Squeeze dried with a t-shirt and left it alone to dry. Now it's up in a messy French Twist. Oh, I almost forgot. I used a wide tooth comb in the shower to detangle.

Tonight I'll put it in a couple of braids, then tomorrow I'll tangle teeze in the morning and bun/braid it. Ect.... Until the next wash. I switch up the stuff I use all of the time though because nothing works for more than one or two washes.

I have virgin 3a/3b fine II low porosity hair. Right now it's 25 1/2 inches (stretched) with layers and bangs. I do eat healthy and take a multivitamin, biotin, and just started msm. I've gotten a consistant 3/4 inch a month since I started lurking this sight back in May, but winter is comming so it will probably start slowing down soon (first time in my life that I actually measured my hair and growth rate). :)

CurlyMopTop
October 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Lol. Mine's not filled out either. :)

Orangerthanred
October 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
My routine is not much.

I [co]wash my hair with Suave Naturals conditioner every 2 days. I let my hair air dry, and when it is completely dry I add a little bit of Canola oil to the ends and the frizzy parts. At night, I put my hair is a loose bun so when I take it out I have an instant hairstyle the next day.

If my hair gets super oily [which happened a week ago] I shampoo the roots only with Suave Naturals Coconut shampoo.

CavySong
October 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
:rolleyes:As nice as it is that you can put your routine on your profile, I find it nice to find a thread on it as it puts a lot of the info in one place. And I feel a bit weird about checking folks info with out an invite.

Kudos to those that have figured all this forum stuff out, but for this technologically retarded lass, the threads have it...

I am still really new. Up til joining last month, I used Tresemme Anti Breakage. It was not working well and I had "fairytale ends" at waist length because of all the splits and breaks.
I got a radical (for me) cut of about 8 inches to APL. Yes, I'm that short http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

Now I am using things up, tossing stuff, The tresseme is going into the teen boys bath. Who in their right mind thinks that at least 2 different alcohols in the first few ingredients will help any one's hair?

I have found a couple "hotel" shampoos I really like but can't find an ingredient listing anywhere online yet. The Westin Heavenly Bath's White Tea Aloe shampoo and condish feel and smell lovely. So does the ProTerra Marine Sea Kelp Line.
ProTerra claims to be all natural, organic, packaging is environment friendly, etc. But no real ingredient list yet. My husband is in an administrative job with the military and travels alot, he brings home the shampoos and soaps, so I have tried a lot of stuff, but not for long enough to really say much.

I just tried the Apple Cider Vinegar rinse yesterday with really nice results. I was surprised but I do not smell like a salad. I even used the EVOliveOil on the ends http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

so for now the routine is this:

Wait at least 3 days between washing, BBB morning and night, Madora Detangler in the shower, use minuscule amounts of shampoo with very warm water, use ACV rinse with as cold as I can stand. Air dry after gentle squeeze in a towel.

My siggy pic was taken after a wash and too much conditioner combed in without rinsing much. I let the hair airdry while walking around Washington DC, and I got CURLS. My hair usually has only a slight wave when dry.

PorkChop
October 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Routine:

In shower, wash hair with Dove shampoo. Shampoo once. Rub in well on top.
Rinse
Apply conditioner, usually Dove conditioner.
Leave for a few mins.
Detangle a bit with wide toothed comb.
Rinse out.

Afterwards leave towel on hair for 5 mins.
Spray some Aussie leave-in conditoner all over hair except on top.
This works as a good de-tangler too.
Comb

I wash my hair every 4-5 days

Libbylou
October 20th, 2011, 08:06 AM
kk, here is my routine. Shampoo daily(work in a dusty environment). Use Natures Gate Henna Shine and Jason Biotin. Wrap hair in old tee shirt and blow dry on warm. Once week I use honey rinse cuz I like the feel. I clarify about once a week with Paul Mitchell cuz that is what we have. Once in a great while I use a leave in. My hair is only shoulder length and and does not tangle. I use the boar brush nightly. I am not buying any more hair stuff until what I have is used up.

starlamelissa
October 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I love routine threads!!!! So, here is what I do.

I wash twice a week, or everyotherday depends on the season, what I've been doing...etc

I use either baby aquaphor unscented baby wash or suave clairifying.

I condition with tresseme smooth and silky and comb out in the shower.

Rinse.

Squeeze out drips, smoosh in a towel.

When its damp I add Paul Mitchell, the conditioner. About a quarter size amount.

If I blow dry, I'll use some redken heat glide serum.

I oil before a wash some times, or put some olive oil on the ends after shampooing.

My tools, a wide tooth wet look shower comb, a fine tooth rattail comb, a wide tooth detangling comb, and a denman 9 row brush. All plastic ;)

CurlyMopTop
October 20th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Ok. Never again will I let my hair air dry in its natural state while stretching washes. I spent an hour this morning trying to use a tangle tease to brush my hair out for an updo. I ended up completely wetting it down and loading it with some condish, then putting it up to re-air dry. You'd think by now that I would have learned my lesson. ;) I did however take a nice pic that when I have the time I will upload for the "why curlies don't brush their hair thread". :D

archel
October 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Every other day, shampoo and condition with Giovanni Smooth As Silk shampoo and comb the matching conditioner through my length with a Babyliss shampoo brush to detangle. Once every week or maybe 2 weeks, I use the 50:50 Balanced clarifying shampoo and about every 2 weeks I'll do an SMT (I know I should do more!). Every other night before bed I use my castor oil blend for a scalp rub and this is only on wash nights. I only blow dry my bangs and I use a tiny dab of Garnier Pure Clean Gel in them before I do. The rest either gets argan oil or Organix coconut antibreakage serum (my hair hates protein but seems to love this). My tools are a Mason Pearson dressing comb, a Kent wet comb in the bathroom, and a Mason Pearson BBB (which was stupid expensive but oh my GOSH it's great).

spidermom
October 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The only thing consisent about my routine is how much I vary it. One constant - I use organic, unrefined coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment whenever I remember. And my wash method is CWC with diluted shampoo.

Generally I buy whatever shampoo and conditioner that is on sale and appeals to me. The shampoo I have right now - Shikai Moisture Shampoo - was making my hair feel weird, so I follow that with a very diluted white vinegar rinse that I leave on for a minute or two, then rinse out. Until I got this shampoo, I really disliked vinegar, but it's necessary with this stuff.

Sometimes I skip the conditioner.

Madora
October 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I've been following the Dr. George Michael regimen for hair care since 1960 and believe that "less is more".

Every day, when I get up, I brush 100 strokes with my pure boar bristle brush.

My hair is then braided in either a lace braid around my head, or rebraided and coiled in a bun that sits on top of my head (which is how I protect my hair when sleeping).

Shampooing is once a month and consists of two tablespoons of the GM Pink Creme Shampoo (each diluted with 8 oz of warm water). The first tablespoon is for the length of my hair. The other tablespoon is for my scalp.

Rinse thoroughly several times, then mix a tablespoon of GM one minute conditioner in 8 oz of water, then pour it over my head.

I let it sit about 2 minutes, then detangle slowly with a wide tooth comb.

The hair is rinsed several times, the last rinse being a cold one to close the cuticles.

Special note: I have developed a special method of shampooing/conditioning/rinsing which helps minimize tangling. I loathe snarls!

My hair is airdried outdoors and takes about 20 minutes in nice weather. If the weather is too cold, then I airdry while standing about 4 feet from my portable electric bathroom heater and it takes 45 minutes. I've developed a special technique which speeds hair air drying.

After the hair is thoroughly dried, I braid it and wear it up. The next day, I apply a small amount of EVOO to the dry hair, let it sit overnight, then rinse it out with shampoo and condition once again.

My hair is never worn loose or down, except when brushing.

I use 3 inch crimped hairpins for all my updos.

My hair is thinner than it was 20 years ago and on the fine side, moderately thick and virgin.

I S and D a little every day and trim about every 4 months. My last hair measurement was 41-42 inches in May.

Yozhik
October 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I think my routine is less about what products I use, and more how I've begun to treat my hair.

I try to always be aware if it's down and possibly rubbing on things, and move it out of the way. I also keep it up a large portion of the time, and keep the ends tucked under so that they don't experience more damage.

I detangle my hair once a day, at most (sometimes if I'm wearing an updo that doesn't require detangling, I don't do it at all for a couple of days), and always pre-wash, as this helps reduce shedding in the shower and keeps my hair less knotty when I let it airdry wavy.

I don't rip through my hair anymore with brushes, brush slowly from the ends up, and try to work out any knots I have.

I also have successfully stretched my washes -- I used to be a daily washer, but now I do it twice a week, or as long as once every 6 days.

I apply coconut oil to the ends and body of my hair, and occasionally to the scalp. I also never heatstyle my hair.

My shower routine is shampoo (generic no-cone sls), condition (heavy no-cone), gently squeeze out the water, end with a cool/cold rinse. :)

gthlvrmx
October 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Products:
Suave Ocean Breeze
Apple Cider Vinegar

Method:
wash once a week(or longer). Use conditioner on hair, as much needed to make it nice and slippery. Rinse off, use ACV. Rinse off, take some conditioner and apply hair as a leave in. Detangle and done.
Bun my hair when it's half dry at the top of my head and there. Leave it there until the next wash.
Unless my new growth and short layers are really falling out and it bugs me, then ill redo my bun really fast in the morning.

Result: clean awesome hair, sleek look, less damage on my hair, and no stress. Plus since i don't think aobut my hair so much, i get a special surprise every few months :)

MyKing'sQueen
October 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
This is a great thread!:cheese: I don't have a routine yet, still experimenting. Right now I CWC 4 times a week with Suave srawberry conditioner-Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo-Giovanni smooth as silk conditioner, sometimes alternate with CO washing, occasional ACV rinses, HE long term relationship leave in or FX silk drops, henna about once a month, SMT when I remember, S&D pretty often, monthly microtrims, heavy pre-wash oilings with coconut or olive oil and just being gentle with my hair. Wow, that turned out to be longer than I expected:D

Cirafly24
October 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
My routine tends to vary since I like to try different things, but here is how it usually goes:

I wash twice a week. I have an oily scalp, so I need to shampoo twice. First, I wash my scalp with Rainbow Research Organic Henna & Biotin shampoo (it's sulfate free and smells like almonds, yum!). Then, I wash my scalp again with a dandruff shampoo, usually Neutrogena T/Sal (also sulfate free). I let that sit for a few minutes while I go about other showerly duties.

I don't usually shampoo my length and ends, it just gets cleaned by the suds that run through it when I rinse. I condition with Garnier Fructise Sleek & Smooth fortifying conditioner (cone free) or once in a while GF Triple Nutrition (also cone free). Every now and then (maybe once a month?) I clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo.

I squeeze out the excess water, and wrap my hair up in a microfiber towel turban (turbie twist) for 5-10 minutes before detangling. Lately I've been using a Tangle Teezer to detangle, but honestly, sometimes I just use my brush (The Body Shop wood quill brush). My hair doesn't tangle much when it's properly conditioned. After detangling, I use a leave in, either Nightblooming's Summer Blend Panacea, or shea butter. I've *really* been loving the shea butter recently, for both my hair and my skin. After all that, I leave it to air dry.

Let's see, what else...I wear my hair up about 80% of the time in various buns and braids. I sleep with it in a low bee butt bun covered with a satin sleep cap. A day or two before washing, I like to soak it with coconut oil and then wear it in a braid until I wash it. My braids are so much neater and stay that way so much longer when my hair is oiled. Sometimes I can wear the same braided bun for two days in a row without having to rebraid.

I S&D when I have time, and I'm doing a no-trim challenge for 2011. That's about it :)

ratgirldjh
October 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Once a week usually I will lightly (or heavily) oil my scalp and hair with an auryvedic herbal oil the night before washing.

On wash day I use my auryvedic soap and wash once well if lightly oiled or twice if heavily oiled.

Then I do an ACV rinse with 2 cups water to a tablespoon of ACV with one drop of my auryvedic oil added (optional).

I always air dry.

Vanilla
October 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I also vary my routine a lot.

I like to wash every 4-5 days with an SLS free shampoo (currently I like Aubrey Organics Chamomile Volumizing Shampoo) and Jason's Jojoba Conditioner.
I detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb, then detangle again with a fine tooth comb after towel drying.

I also use V05 hot oil shower works (protein treatment) every other wash, and a SMT once every 3 weeks. I've tried oiling with coconut and olive oil, but it makes my hair a sticky and crunchy mess.

I love to experiment with different things on my hair.

MissEarlGrey
October 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I shampoo twice a week with Nature's Gate Tea Tree Shampoo (I dilute a teaspoon into an 8oz squirt bottle) and after every shampoo do a ACV rinse.

I use Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner (the infamous brown stuff) on my scalp (very diluted) and I'm currently using Everyday Shea Lavender Moisturizing Conditioner on my length ( I'm not sure about the Shea, I've been changing up my length condish, because I need something thick and super moisturizing, but so far I haven't found my prince charming.)

At night I oil with Jojoba Healthy Hair from Herbaria (google them, they're wonderful (and they have shampoo bars!) just on my ends (although I've had a dry scalp lately, so that's where it's been going).

Sometimes I'll use a coney serum from Aveda, but I find it's very difficult to wear my hair up because it gets SO slippery.

On the off days that I don't shampoo, I just CO with the NG and the Deep condish.

I'm almost exclusively using my Tangle Teaser, it's just the greatest invention. But sometimes I'll break out the BBB and I keep my HH horn comb in my purse for when I'm out.

But yeah, there it is. :)

vatikagirl
October 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
You do realize there is a place in your profile to describe your haircare routine. Not many seem to put that information in theirs. It is at the bottom of the "About Me" section when you click for somebody's profile if they did it. Mine is in my profile. You have plenty of posts so you can view mine. Of course, you haven't even filled out your own on your profile since I just went and looked.
Kwavet, sorry if ive annoyed or offended you some how... it is, as Cavysong said... all info in one place thread... i thought i wud be nice without intruding other persons profiles everytime.

Friends thanks for all the routine sharing... it rocks... nice to know how nicely cared and
pampered all of your tresses are...
It rocks...

CurlyCap
October 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I think I've found a routine I like. However, it's only been a few weeks, but I'm happy with it. I took a long journey trying to switch from my previous products. They all had something in them that was irritating my scalp. Grrr. Allergies.

Anyway:
I shower at night, so this happens every night about an hour before I go to bed.
1. Rinse hair thoroughly with warm water.
2. Apply liberally conditioner goo. I make it in a mixing bowl of 1/2 conditioner, 1/2 oil made of mostly olive oil with some castor and avacado. I try to avoid proteins bc my hair doesn't like them.
3. Let goo sit while I take care of everything else.
4. Rinse with cold water.
5. Wrap hair with towel and squeeze to get out the sopping wet.
6. Let air dry.

I shampoo a lot for a curly girl. Once or twice a week with pretty clarifying stuff, usually 2n1 Head and Shoulders. I usually and shampooing because my scalp wants it, not because my hair feels dirty or oily (hah!). Washes are based on the "it feels like it needs it" metric.

I have curly 3b/c hair that is fine and thin (maybe i, I don't know how thin it is because of the curls). This routine is the first thing that has BOTH prevented dryness and given curl definition without too much work or products.

kidari
October 20th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I vary my routine and like to change up the products I use but this is what I've been doing the most consistently:

regular monthly trims to maintain layers and length

I use boxed hair dye using the method of doing a heavy coconut oiling before-hand and letting it soak for at least an hour or two before dying. I'm partial to Clairol dyes, they're my favorite. I will do a root touch up or use the foam one all over. Alternating every month.

daily washing with oil shampoo method (2 parts shampoo to 1 part coconut oil I like Everpure moisturizing and Eversleek as well as Matrix volumatherapie and Pantene volume shampoos) bent over the bathtub and using a showerhead attachment, thoroughly brushing it out before-hand and then using a microfiber hair turban and air drying then detangle with a wide-toothed comb when it's almost dry

one large pin curl on top of my head and the rest in a sock bun using distilled water in a mister or diluted V05 conditioner on fully dried hair to sleep at night

during the day I wear it down from the pin curl and sock bun set or I wear it in any random hairstyle

sometimes I shower and wash my hair in the shower with plain old shampoo and condition method, sometimes I clarify and use a protein or moisture mask, sometimes CWC, and rarely CO... when I have time and I'm in the mood I'll spontaneously do something random like a coconut milk soak or beer rinse or SMT... oil shampoo and daily washing and trimming regularly are key for me but my hair loves variety and switching products constantly

aisha.christine
October 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I gently brush my hair once every morning, and then again at night with my Tangle Teezer, being overly careful.
I wash my hair every 2 days (sometimes 3 if my scalp isn't oily,) and I do an overnight oil soak with unrefined coconut oil the night before I wash.
I shampoo my hair with Desert Organics Shampoo for Dry Hair, then I condition with Desert Organics Conditioner for Dry Hair.
Every other wash day, I pour diluted ACV on my hair, and leave it in as long as I can stand (about a minute to two minutes.) I then do a final rinse of cold water.
After I wash it, I put a little bit of coconut oil and whatever EO I'm going to perfume my hair with that day onto my hand, and then gently rub it into my hair.
About every 2 weeks, sometimes a little more frequently, I do an SMT, and then about every 2 months, I replace my SMT with a henna gloss.

Sometimes I do a tea rinse, but not too frequently :shrug:

Juicematic
October 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Right now my routine is:

Wash once a week or every two weeks with goldwell color depositing shampoo or suave condish
Follow up with Aveda madder root condish and let sit for about 30 minutes

DC with AOHSR and Aphogee 2 minute treatment as needed.

Moisturize wet hair with Elasta QP mango butter and seal with coconut oil
Style with Shea moisture curly butter

I will also add more moisturizer as need throught the week before braiding my hair for bed

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Im still trying to find my perfect routine.
But right now;
Wash every other day with H & S. (Currently trying to find a perfect SLS free dandruff shampoo, giovanni teatree is probably what ill go for.)
Condition every time i was with suave naturals coconut. (Cone-free. I love it, because its not too heavy and gives slip still.)
After a wash i take a tad bit of coconut oil and sparing spread on my ends. Cant use too much because my hair tends to look dirty FAST.
Usually on nights before a wash because it is VERY heavy, ill massage scalp with a light amount of castor oil. (I love it, smells good and is anti fungal which keeps the dandruff from acting up in the middle of the night. I also think it has helped my hair growth MAJORLY.)
I keep my hair up 90% and dont plan on taking it down til I hit BSL. :)

Avienda
October 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Lets see, I CO wash twice a week or once a week if I can get away with it. I use suave naturals coconut conditioner on the length and suave naturals clarifying on my scalp. I then put a shower cap on and leave it for about 10 minutes while I do my other shower things. Then rinse very well. I then put it in a towel for about 5 minutes and comb out with a large pick. I put tea tree oil (about three drops) in my hand and rub my hands together then run them threw the length of my hair concentrating mostly on the ends. I let it air dry for about 15 minutes then put it up in a bun. I find for me, my buns are much smother and stay better if put up when slightly damp still. Plus I get awesome curls the next time I want to wear it down. I almost never do though.

Cloelia
October 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I'm liking this thread. It's interesting to get everyone's specifics.

So, I wash every other night, CWC with VO5 for 1st C, Avalon Organic Lavender shampoo, and GVP Conditioning Balm for the second C, leave on for 5-10 minutes. ACV rinses when I remember. I detangle in the shower, then oil midlength down to the ends with unrefined coconut oil. I braid it in an english braid, then sleep on a satin pillowcase (those are amazing, btw). During the day I almost always wear it in either a forked French twist or a chopstick bun. Then I brush with a Tangle Teezer when I get home from work.
I can't believe how much my hair's been growing every month since I started this. I guess it just needed to be babied in order to grow past collarbone.

MissManda
October 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM
My routine is in my profile, but it needs to be updated since I've changed things around a little bit. :p

Hair Type: Fine texture but very thick and basically straight. Low porosity.
Scalp: Normal to slightly oily. Can get super greasy with bad care.
Length: Midback currently.
Washing Method: Exclusive CO for 9 months. Just the normal CO method with a cleansing conditioner and a moisturizing one. Always rinse with cold water and shampoo on an as-needed basis.
How often? Two or three times a week. Every other day at the absolute most and once a week at the absolute least (I wish I could go without washing for a month!)
Rinses and Leave-ins: ACV (rinse out), coconut oil (on almost dry hair), normal conditioner (on very damp/wet hair), and my spritz stuff made of water, conditioner, and oil.
Detangling Weapons of Choice: Fingers, Tangle Teezer, and afro pick. My hair hates most other types of combs.
When to Detangle? Either in the shower with conditioner or when hair is dry or almost dry.
Drying: Air-dry.
Deep Treatments: SMT on as-needed basis. I make one big batch enough for three uses and store it in the fridge 'cause I'm lazy.
Henna: I use Jamila henna for color, shine, and conditioning.
How Often? Full length applications are every 4-6 months, while I do roots on an as-needed basis or whenever I can.
Trimming: I like frequent dustings with micro trims when needed. I S&D when the light is good and as needed.

If my hair is starting to feel greasy, I'll do a scalp massage to distribute the sebum to my length and ends. I may also use a BBB, but I need to be minimal with it or else my hair will get even greasier. I also avoid brushing with my Tangle Teezer more than two or three times a day because this also delays greasies. By doing this, I can put off wash day for a day or two.

Current (and Favorite) Conditioners: Tame Cream Rinse (from Dollar Tree) and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. I alternate these when I CO to prevent protein overload or overmoisturizing. When I CO with the Tame, I use a little GFTN or other moisturizing condish to prevent frizz, while when I use GFTN to cleanse, I don't need to use a second conditioner.
Shampoo: Nature's Gate Aloe Vera (with no sulfates); sometimes I use the matching condish, but I usually leave it for DBF.

I avoid cones because they make my hair very stringy and nasty-looking and I avoid sulfates because they make my scalp itch and increase shedding.

KwaveT
October 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Kwavet, sorry if ive annoyed or offended you some how... it is, as Cavysong said... all info in one place thread... i thought i wud be nice without intruding other persons profiles everytime.

Friends thanks for all the routine sharing... it rocks... nice to know how nicely cared and
pampered all of your tresses are...
It rocks...

No, you have not offended me at all. I noticed you did not have it in your profile so I wondered if you even knew. I was just being a conveyor of information there. If it came out that way then I am the one that needs to be apologizing. I am certainly not trying to make enemies here. As far as the protruding issue I think others want you to look or why do we even have blogs and the albums to post our pictures in to begin with. On that note I have finally taken some pictures. I just have to figure how to do all the uploading.

KwaveT
October 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM
In the spirit of the thread, I will post it for everybody to see since those that are new can't view the profiles with much more detail even. I use a wide tooth comb/tangle teezer to detangle my hair. I use the boar bristle brush to finish getting excess sheds out of my hair. I apply conditioner to my hair after wetting it. I usually use a couple of different Burt's conditioners on my hair. I use Volumizing one on my hair for Tuesday's conditioning. I use Shining one on my hair for Thursday and Saturday's conditioning. I will occassionally use the Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner in place of first application. I use no shampoo. I focus more on the ends when applying it. I let it set for at least 30 minutes. While waiting on this I usually shave my legs, feet, pubic area, and face. Back in shower, conditioner gets rinsed out and reapplied. If I used GPB one first time, I use Burt's Bees one this time. I focus more on washing my scalp this time. I wash myself in shower and rinse the conditioner out and finish with a cold rinse on my hair to close the cuticles. Out of shower I pat my hair dry with a towel. I comb my hair how I basically want it to dry and run my hands through my hair to attend any excess sheds that conditioner has help release. I let it airdry for three plus hours. I also use in shower moisturizer and body lotion on my legs and feet, and tee tree oil/willowbark extract solution in pubic area to minimize razor bumps. That is more skin care routine rather than hair rouitine. All this runs me about hour and a half for those three days on my shower routine since I have to clean all my hair our of the sink, shower, and floor too. I do all previous stuff in evening. For morning on everyday, I simply detangle with comb and teezer. Follow with boar bristle brush to deshed and style my hair for that day. That runs my about 20 minutes or so. I can't get more detailed that this.

elfgirl
October 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
My hair is very fine, and naturally has a slight wave to it (it generally comes out wavy after it air dries, even more so if I've had it up in a bun or in a braid while still slightly damp). My scalp is normal, but can get very oily after three days, which is why I Have to wash my hair every other day, every three days at the most.

I tend to wash my hair in the morning, or in the afternoon. It takes about two hours to fully air dry (3 to 4 in the fall and winter seasons). I wash with a generic shampoo from Whole Foods (Lavender for Normal to Oily Hair), and use no conditioner. After the shower, I gently squeeze the water out of my hair with a towel, and comb it out with a bamboo comb. I let my hair air dry for a wee bit, then apply coconut oil to the ends, and braid it.

For my everyday wear, my hair is either up in a standard twist bun (I'm working on learning different bun variations :) ), or in a regular 3 strand braid. Occasionally I have braided pigtails :)

Hope this helps! :)

Diamond.Eyes
October 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
This is an awesome thread idea! I'm definitely subscribing. :D
My hair is naturally a bit wavy, red, and a little dry. I CO-wash my hair about two to four times a week with VO5's Strawberry's and Cream moisture milks conditioner, and do a full washing and conditioning of my hair once a week using Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet shampoo and conditioner. After a wash, I use TIGI's Love, Peace and The Planet Leave-In Conditioner mixed with a couple drop of jojoba oil and/or tangerine or vanilla EO. When my hair is no longer wet, I spritz it with rooibos tea.
Once a week, before my shampoo day, I do an overnight moisture treatment made up of any moisturizing conditioner, olive, jojoba, grape seed, coconut, and vitamin e oil.
Every two weeks I do a rooibos tea rinse, and about once a month a do a ACV rinse. :heart:

MyKing'sQueen
October 21st, 2011, 02:24 AM
My routine tends to vary since I like to try different things, but here is how it usually goes:

I wash twice a week. I have an oily scalp, so I need to shampoo twice. First, I wash my scalp with Rainbow Research Organic Henna & Biotin shampoo (it's sulfate free and smells like almonds, yum!). Then, I wash my scalp again with a dandruff shampoo, usually Neutrogena T/Sal (also sulfate free). I let that sit for a few minutes while I go about other showerly duties.

I don't usually shampoo my length and ends, it just gets cleaned by the suds that run through it when I rinse. I condition with Garnier Fructise Sleek & Smooth fortifying conditioner (cone free) or once in a while GF Triple Nutrition (also cone free). Every now and then (maybe once a month?) I clarify with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo.

I squeeze out the excess water, and wrap my hair up in a microfiber towel turban (turbie twist) for 5-10 minutes before detangling. Lately I've been using a Tangle Teezer to detangle, but honestly, sometimes I just use my brush (The Body Shop wood quill brush). My hair doesn't tangle much when it's properly conditioned. After detangling, I use a leave in, either Nightblooming's Summer Blend Panacea, or shea butter. I've *really* been loving the shea butter recently, for both my hair and my skin. After all that, I leave it to air dry.

Let's see, what else...I wear my hair up about 80% of the time in various buns and braids. I sleep with it in a low bee butt bun covered with a satin sleep cap. A day or two before washing, I like to soak it with coconut oil and then wear it in a braid until I wash it. My braids are so much neater and stay that way so much longer when my hair is oiled. Sometimes I can wear the same braided bun for two days in a row without having to rebraid.

I S&D when I have time, and I'm doing a no-trim challenge for 2011. That's about it :)
Hi there, hairtwin! :D

Cirafly24
October 21st, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hi there, hairtwin! :D

Hello! It does seem like we have very similar hair types :D

pepperminttea
October 21st, 2011, 02:57 AM
I post my routine here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=91676), and update it semi-frequently. :)

Shanbot
October 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
I tend to only be able to stretch washes one day, two at the most (if I'm just hanging out at home on the weekends and such), but the routine usually goes like this, and I'm aware its a bit weird and all over the place :p:

Day 1: Wash and Condition with Pure Elements Sulfate Free/Cone Free Shampoo and Conditioner (I was in the checkout at Sally and DBF ran over with it saying "Hey, this doesn't have any of that bad stuff on the label." What a treasure! It smells like lavender and the conditioner is super thick and yummy. Also he likes to ask "Oooh, who got you that nice smelling shampoo?" Ha!)
Day 2: Nada.
Day 3: CO with Suave Green Apple.
Day 4: Nuthin', or CO with the Apple again if I need some moisturizing.
Day 5: Usually at this point in the week I sort of address what's going on with the hair...if it needs protein, I have a heavier protein conditioner (generic Kpak), and I usually use a violet shampoo with it (which contains low SLS). I don't know why this became a routine to use these two together, but I like their interaction. If its not a protein day, I go for the violet shampoo and just the apple conditioner again.
Day 6: Nuffin.
Day 7: CO with Green Apple.

Addendum to this is if I'm at DBF's place and I need a shower - all he has is Tresemme Shampoo and AXE Conditioner (The axe smells like delicious tropical fruit, but both of those bottles have scary ingredients). I will use both, diluting the shampoo in my hands, and when I next shower I make sure to shampoo out the cones in some manner and sorta wedge myself back into my routine.

I also henna my roots ~monthly. Tools I use regularly are a wide-tooth detangling comb, and the tangle teezer when I want a good scalp scruffing. I've been using claw clips to hold my hair back in a bun pretty much daily but the last one I own broke (too much hair for ya, clippy?) so for the past few days its been loose (gasp!) or in a lopsided braid of some kind (english) - although I did rope braid pigtails on Friday and they were a huge hit with DBF (the waves they made were an even huger hit with me, so pretty! Wish I took pics. Gonna hafta do it again :p)

I was doing DTs and ACV rinses here and there but lately I've been busy and neglectful - it seems to have paid off, the hair is looking pretty good! I think just using better products - and properly - has cut down on any need for extra treatments (I was starting oiling, found I really didn't need it! Maybe as it gets drier outside or when my hair is longer.) Its getting too cold for my cold water last rinses, brr! But I am drying my hair with a t-shirt and I'm much more mindful of what my hair is doing so that I can save it from minor mishaps. Everything seems to be helping so far, and there is a marked improvement.

BTW This thread is giving me all sorts of ideas to try out (who is to say I can't get it shinier, silkier, slippier...*plots*) so I'm sure the routine will see a few add-ons now!

vatikagirl
October 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
No, you have not offended me at all. I noticed you did not have it in your profile so I wondered if you even knew. I was just being a conveyor of information there. If it came out that way then I am the one that needs to be apologizing. I am certainly not trying to make enemies here. As far as the protruding issue I think others want you to look or why do we even have blogs and the albums to post our pictures in to begin with. On that note I have finally taken some pictures. I just have to figure how to do all the uploading.
Hey Kwavet, thanks for this... aleast ur not annoyed :). I havent updated my routine as im in constant search to make it better... following different methods and different products... so there was no point at that time... hope u understand... :rolleyes:.
this routine of mine works fine but not the best i guess.... waiting to find the perfect way yet... :p

Ligeia_13
October 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Its kind of funny, when I joined here, I tried every suggestion going. Not all at once of course. And now, half a year later, I'm back to my original shampoo and conditioner once a week. With the exception of coconut oil on my ends after my shower, that's the only change that stuck :p

JessL
October 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have recently swithed to water only.

I brush with a BBB nightly. Then I preen my hair a bit especially if its feeling oily. Then I put my hair up in a sock bun for the night.

Every 3 days I do a water only wash. I wet it and preen under the water. I was previously doing this daily but for some reason less often is working better. On nonwash days I mist my hair and shape/arrange it.

I always air dry. My hair is wavy and I find what works best is to arrange it and then not touch it until it dries.

joflakes
October 22nd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Very interesting to read all of these in the same place!
I've only recently joined here and therefore am still deciding what to change and using up all my products!

I wash every day or every other day. If I don't I find my hair feels greasy and it sticks up everywhere due to it's length! Plus I shower daily & have no shower cap ;)

I use Lee Stafford's hair growth shampoo (although this is soon to be replaced), which I use once, then follow that with Dove Nourishing Oil Care Express Treatment. Whilst that's in, I run my fingers through it to de-tangle and spread it thoroughly. Then rinse and hop out the shower, when I'll towel dry it...probably far too rigorously! After that I'll sometimes spritz on an Aussie leave in conditioner or Lee Stafford spray to help heat protect and dry hair faster (or so he claims!) and then comb it out into my style. Then I'll either blowdry or leave it to air dry if I don't have to be anywhere fast!

I do plan to change this though so will be watching this thread!

janeytilllie
October 22nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
My routine currently is very simple.

I will brush my hair in the morning and before bedtime with my Tangle Teezer.

I wear my up 99.9% of the time.
I mostly wear a braided or cinnamon bun. I will now only use big bun pins and silk scrunchies. I found hairsticks, forks and other hair toys very damaging to my fragile hair.

I wash my hair 2x a week with sulfates and cones. I shampoo with Head and Shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo, I then condition with either Pantene or Alberto Balsam.

I leave in condition afterwards.

I trim my hair 2x a year taking an inch off each time.

That's basically all I do :)

ssjhotau2
October 22nd, 2011, 01:58 AM
-CWC: V05 moisturizing Tea Therapy, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner.
-Rinse: Cold water rinses every shower, just did first ACV rinse- will do once a week after weekly treatments.
-Weekly Treatments: Alternating deep moisture treatments with V05 moisturizing Tea Therapy conditioner and extra virgin olive oil and protein treatments either henna placenta or V05 protein conditioner with 1 egg, 1 avocado, 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil, and a shot of canned coconut milk.
-Oils: Vitamin E oil smoothed in nightly and over oiling of coconut oil as an over-night/pre-wash every 3 days.
I just purchased a 6 pack starter kit of essential oils, one bottle of sweet almond oil, one bottle castor oil, and one bottle avocado oil- so far I'm unsure how to add these oils into my routine- but I'll figure it out.
I sleep with my hair either in a bun or a braid (usually a braid).
I use a Tangle Teaser daily and a boar bristle brush just about every night.
I S&D several times a week.

I use coney hair products to protect my hair when I plan to wear my hair down, which I love to do.

jeanniet
October 22nd, 2011, 02:19 AM
I wash every 3-4 days with soapwort shampoo, followed by an herbal rinse (rosemary, lavender, hibiscus, horsetail, and nettle), with a final citric acid rinse. Air dry. I use Nightblooming's Summer Blend Panacea on my ends a few times a week if they feel dry. I don't use any other products except for touching up my roots with Elumen about once a month.

els23
October 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
I'm still working on figuring out exactly what works best for my hair but here is what I have found works so far.

- CO Wash with Suave Green Apple every 3-4 days (Or other Suave that I can find here, though I hate how expensive it is compared to in the US). I try to stretch washing as much as possible but sometimes I go overboard on oils or just feel like wearing my hair down. I'm currently experimenting with adding a little honey to my conditioner every wash (works great so far).
- White vinegar rinse (haven't been able to find Apple Cider Vinegar here and I find plain white vinegar works great).

- I'm trying to start doing a SMT once a week or every two weeks.
- I try to put a little oil on wet hair after my wash and add a little oil to my ends whenever they feel like they need it. I still can't decide if my hair like coconut oil or not but generally I have been using EVOO since it's cheap and I have at home already, and it has been working pretty well.
- I've also experimented a little bit with using Aloe Vera Gel and/or Honey as a leave in gel to tame the frizz I get around my face when I put my hair up, but I am still trying to figure out the perfect amount.

vatikagirl
October 23rd, 2011, 04:36 AM
Interesting, everybody seems to be taking real good care of their mane... love that. :)

Changling
October 23rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
I love sharing routines :D

Ok, so three times a week I do a BS/ACV rinse. I use this old, washed-out conditioner bottle, and put in 1 tsp of BS (I have only chin-length hair) then add 1 cup of filtered water (we have hard water here), which I microwave first so it's not freezing. lol. Then I shake it up a bit and pour it slowly over my scalp over the bathroom sink, massage my scalp a bit, then pour whatever's left over my scalp again. Then I rinse out the bottle and put in 1/4 cup ACV and 3/4 of cold filtered water, and rinse that over my scalp and through the "length" (chin length. not much to rinse through, lol). Then I rinse out the ACV with a cup of cold filtered water.

To dry, I usually either put it in a towel for a few minutes, then comb it and figure out my part, or I just squeeze it a bit and put a towel around my shoulders and let it drip-dry (if I want curls). If it's too dry after, I spritz it with my mister bottle, it's like a 4oz bottle full of filtered water, with a drop of TreSemme cone-free conditioner and two drops of lavendar EO in it.

I massage my scalp twice a day (trying to make my hair grow faster), and I often wear a bandana or pigtails (half-up), and every day after a scalp massage, I BBB. This keeps my hair from looking greasy in the days between washes. It also helps my hair to not look like I just took down pigtails.

My hair is often too dry after washing; I'm thinking about changing my ratios, but I kind of like the light leave-in conditioning effect of the mister bottle. Plus it smells good :) When my hair gets longer (maybe shoulder), I'll probably try oiling the length.

EDIT: oh, and I forgot to mention, I shower more than three times a week XD so when I shower and it's not a wash day, I WO wash. This also helps to spread the natural sebum around and also keep my hair from looking too greasy.

Lucky
October 23rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I've loved reading everyone's routine, so varied! Thanks for sharing!

I feel like I'm in a constant state of experimenting, I love trying new products and routines. In my "lazy" periods I just shampoo and condition, with or without cones, I won't pay much attention, and just air dry.

Right now since I'm trying to baby my ends, I'm doing the following:

- CWC every other day. I'm trying to determine if I want to continue using cones or not (two of my current products have cones, the others don't). So far, it's looking like my hair might really like cones.

- Oiling ends every day with either jojoba or Nightshade's Triple Moon oil.

- Weekly clarifying and weekly deep oiling with Nightshade's oil (but I'm not always great about doing it every single week).

I try to let it air dry as much as possible, but I will admit to occasional blow dryer use if I have to be sociable, lol. I try to wear it up, but it's still relatively short so it does get left down a lot right now. :shrug: that's kind of it, I'm kind of lazy and often rushed between work and the babes, but it's good that I don't have too much time to obsess :)

vatikagirl
October 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Lucky, sometime I too think that my hair loves cones.... sometimes it goes limp with cones... I guess I too play up with & without cones every now and then.
Good to know you love experimenting, per se I too change my routine products every now and then.
Keep rocking.

Mayflower
October 23rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
Once every 4-6 weeks I henndigo
3 times a week I wash my hair in the evening with Klorane shampoo, no conditioner
I let it dry for about 80%, then I use the blowdryer on low heat until it's totally dry. After that I put it in a high twisted bun (or two buns) on top of my head

When it's not windy/static I wear my hair down, but now in autumn and winter I usually wear it in a high side ponytail or a braided bun

Once in a while I use a protein treatment, but in general I'm too lazy to do much DT's :D. Oh and I only comb, never brush, and do S&D about once a week.

CavySong
October 23rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Well, I offer apologies. I actually had a routine listed in my profile and had completely forgotten it. I sometimes tell folks I have more in common with Dory the Fish from Finding Nemo than I care to admit. Aside from the addles in my head, I LOVE THIS FORUM COMMUNITY!

Thanks every one and appreciate the encouragement to read and get to know fellow members by reading the profile info they post.

proo
October 24th, 2011, 03:54 PM
WO wash every 2 weeks
Fingercomb
Crown braid every day
My hair is digging this routine and I get oodles of positive feedback on the crown braid.
It sure does baby my ends.

RedBlue
October 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I wash my hair every other day. My shampoo is Biomega, which is sulfate/paraben free. I condition with Organix Avocado & Acai Berry Condish, also sulfate/paraben free. Right before I get out of the shower, I go over my hair with freezing cold water. When I get out, I towel dry my hair as best as I can, comb it, and put hair serum in it. The serums I use rotate. I use HealthySexyHair Soy Renewal-Argan Oil, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Relaxing Balm, and Garnier Fructis Sleek &Shine Anti Frizz Serum. I usually wear my hair down. I will use coconut oil every once in a while, on dry hair and right before I wash.:)