PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please (pics!)

Keller1128
October 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Hello LHC! I would love to get your opinion on something. I'm going to get a small haircut next Saturday and need your input on what I should do. Here are some pictures of what it looks like now (sorry about the bad color and quality - it's my cheap phone camera). I hope these work. I've never uploaded pictures to a forum before!

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/tissmurphette/th_1019111846.jpg (http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/tissmurphette/?action=view&current=1019111846.jpg)

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/tissmurphette/th_1019111845.jpg (http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k485/tissmurphette/?action=view&current=1019111845.jpg)

I cut my bangs myself about 2 years ago with normal scissors so I don't think that part of my hair has been cut since then. It's in pretty bad shape and splits frequently. I was thinking about getting face framing layers so that part could get cut (and to frame my face). I'm also going to get a small trim because I'm trying to get rid of my layers one small trim at a time. My last trim was in July. What do you think I should do? I'm open to any and all opinions/comments! Thanks!

Madora
October 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Layers are a royal pain if you plan to create buns/braids later on. But it's your hair, so do with what you feel comfy with.

Keller1128
October 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, Madora! I must say I'm honored to have you reply to my post :) I agree with what you said and I don't want layers. I just don't know what to do about the front part of my hair. It looks so bad and is very frizzy. Should I just let it grow and continue to S&D?

luluj
October 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I think face framing layers can be very pretty (of course I just got my hair layered so I'm a little biased). Getting a nice shape and a healthy trim is a great way to start a grow out.

Arashi
October 19th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I think face framing layers and/or a soft fringe would be nice.

Keller1128
October 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I think face framing layers and/or a soft fringe would be nice.

Oooh yes my hairdresser mentioned that when I went for a trim but I wasn't ready to make that jump! I could definitely use fringe with my forehead. It will definitely be on my list of things to think about. I don't think straight, flat hair is a good look for me. I'm liking the face framing layers and fringe idea. Hair cuts are so scary though!!!

cowgirllong
October 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
If you want to have fringe/bangs, why not get them now? If you hate them, they won't be too much shorter than the rest of your hair.

I will agree with Madora on layers in the rest of your hair. A zillion years ago when I had layers, I hated how they stuck out of my braid. If you don't think you'll be wanting to do buns or braids, I suppose they'd be fine. Most people do, though. You will come back and tell us what you do, I hope. :)

Columbia River
October 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I think face framing fringe would be very pretty on your hair...you could chose to either start lower or have bangs/fringe. I'm wearing my hair back for ten more months and then going to my favorite stylist to have him shape it and add fringe. (I don't see myself wearing updos or hair much longer then my waist...so I'm very comfortable with this.)

MissManda
October 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
If you'd like to just get face-framing layers and/or a fringe, then you should go for it! :D As a previous poster said, the layers or fringe would be close enough to the length of the rest of your hair so grow-out shouldn't be a problem if you change your mind.

Keller1128
October 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'll definitely let you all know what I end up doing (if I do in fact go through with it!). I just don't like my hair right now. I have a lot of past styling damage (blowfryer, straightener) and damage from where I used to brush when it was wet. You can tell when I stopped doing damaging things. There's about 2 inches of my roots now that aren't frizzy but the rest of my hair is and has flyaways galore! I kind of want to cut it short and start over but it would take so long to grow back out. Even if I cut all my layers off it would be up to my shoulders. I just don't know what to do. It seems like most people here prefer all-one-length hair. I just don't want to get layers and regret it later.

Cassie 123
October 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I cut my bangs myself about 2 years ago with normal scissors so I don't think that part of my hair has been cut since then. It's in pretty bad shape and splits frequently. I was thinking about getting face framing layers so that part could get cut (and to frame my face). I'm also going to get a small trim because I'm trying to get rid of my layers one small trim at a time. My last trim was in July. What do you think I should do? I'm open to any and all opinions/comments! Thanks!

Well-cut layers can look great, but based on what you are saying, please don't go in and ask for face-framing layers just for the sake of trimming away splits. That's a good way to lose a lot more hair than you expect and really set back your growth. Ideally, you would trim away just those split tips on your own, one at a time, with some very sharp haircutting scissors (Tweezerman is supposed to be good). If you really, truly want more layers, then that's fine, but it sounds like you'd prefer to grow them out.

Keller1128
October 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Yes, I wish it was all one length but the hair around my face is all different lengths (maybe from breakage?). S&D just makes it even more uneven. I thought maybe professionally done face-framing layers would help with that? I also see a lot of people with grown out face framing layers and it doesn't look bad.

Animae
October 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I have mouth length bangs that I feel make me look less sever when I pull my hair up, but I have a face that sort of falls into annoyed expression naturally, so I can look like the librarian from the harry potter books very easily.

I also want to say when I first read the title of this thread I thought you said Onions please... I can read I promise.

Cassie 123
October 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Yes, I wish it was all one length but the hair around my face is all different lengths (maybe from breakage?). S&D just makes it even more uneven. I thought maybe professionally done face-framing layers would help with that? I also see a lot of people with grown out face framing layers and it doesn't look bad.

Ok - I guess you should just make sure that you aren't giving your stylist mixed messages. He/she should be aware that you mostly want to even things up, not cut in tons of new layers. Also, keep your total thickness in mind - new fringe (which I have to admit would be pretty cute) plus new layers might leave you with a rather thin hemline - it's up to you whether you think that's a big deal or not (it's definitely more of a big deal on LHC than IRL).

Keller1128
October 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
That is something to consider and I hadn't thought about (thinner hemline). One of the reasons I'm asking for opinions is because I want to be sure of what I want before I go in there. I still haven't made up my mind. If I do end up going with bangs, should I do the ones that start on the side of my head and sweep across? That's what I'm thinking. I guess if I do that I might as well go with layers all around then, huh? Thanks for all your input by the way :) I really really appreciate it!

celebriangel
October 20th, 2011, 07:07 AM
If you want bangs and face-framing layers, you can absolutely get those without layering the rest of your hair!

I, personally, would go for a fringe and a small amount of layers around your face, of the length where they would be "down" when you do an updo to frame your face when your hair is up. But leave the rest of your hair one length (be very clear about this to the hairdresser) so your updos and braids will be easier. Personally, I found layers in all my hair to be a complete pain in the butt, and they made my hair look thinner.

CarpeDM
October 20th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Ok I've done this a few times in my life. I've cut bangs, almost immediately regretted it, then started to grow them out. As soon as I started to grow the bangs out I started thinking about face framing layers so the bangs blended in with the rest of my hair. Layers do help out a lot!

sugar&nutmeg
October 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
In addition to the concern about layers messing with updos and braids, I'm a bit concerned that if the hair is damaged and flyaway, layers might just increase that appearance. Then the temptation might be to heat style again, in an attempt to make the now-even-shorter bits behave, and...well, see where this is going?

If it were me, I'd consider simply letting it be for now. I'd baby the heck out of the damaged parts, and wear it back/up as much as possible and just let it grow. I'd try to maintain the current length with tiny mini-trims until the damage was cut away.

bunzfan
October 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
In addition to the concern about layers messing with updos and braids, I'm a bit concerned that if the hair is damaged and flyaway, layers might just increase that appearance. Then the temptation might be to heat style again, in an attempt to make the now-even-shorter bits behave, and...well, see where this is going?

If it were me, I'd consider simply letting it be for now. I'd baby the heck out of the damaged parts, and wear it back/up as much as possible and just let it grow. I'd try to maintain the current length with tiny mini-trims until the damage was cut away.

I agree with this layers are a major pain and take a long time to grow out if you decide you don't like them, i started growing mine out last year and i am only just nearly one length and i had to chop a fair bit to be mainly one length.

I found your length difficult i was that length when i joined and i just let it grow and its near waist now. My advise would be a small trim and just wear it up if you can try some twin braids. Good luck:)

Keller1128
October 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Another thing I need to think about is that cutting fringe might be a problem for air drying. What if they dried looking weird? I also wash my hair at night so I would be sleeping on them and that might be disastrous. Then I would have to heat style and I don't want to do that. Also I would have to go back regularly to get my bangs trimmed and that would be costly. I'm thinking at this point of just doing a small trim all around to work towards the elimination of the current layers and then get face framing layers just in the front starting around chin length. I think the front part of my hair would be happier if it got cut with real scissors. Now I'm worried about what sugar&nutmeg said about making it look even more damaged with face framing layers. Still, it's possible it could look really good and it's the only way to cut that hair without taking off a lot of length all around.

Deborah
October 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM
The shape of your face and your forehead both are quite nice. I don't think you would benefit from bangs or any sort of layering. Those would just slow down the journey in my opinion.

If I had your hair, I'd just have an inch cut off to help even things up, then leave it alone until you feel like taking off another inch to get rid of more unevenness. Otherwise just let it grow.

lindaton
October 21st, 2011, 12:41 AM
I vote just let it grow for now. I think it looks really healthy in the pictures. Wait 6 months and see what you think then. Just think how long it will be then.

Keller1128
October 23rd, 2011, 09:45 AM
I've thought a lot about it and I think it would be best if I just cut off all the layers. That would put me a little past shoulder length but I think it needs to be done. It just looks soooooooo bad. It's been fine up until now because I could wear it up at work (I work in a warehouse and nobody cares how I look) but now I'm looking for real jobs and need to be presentable. If I'm going that short, maybe I'll even do bangs.

blondie9912
October 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Does your hair frizz easily? Because I had the same conundrum as you several years ago, I was growing out my bangs so I decided to go for some shorter layers, but they made the splitting look WORSE, not better :/ The fact that they were shorter made them spring up, and the ends got damaged rather quickly. Maybe it would just be worth it to get a tiny trim now, and wait for your bangs to grow out a few more inches, then trim again?

blondie9912
October 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Also, if you colour or bleach your hair I think this issue would be more prevalent. My highlighted hair does not enjoy chin length layers :D

Keller1128
October 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I don't color or bleach. I also stopped blowdrying and straightening back in July. I don't currently have bangs. I'm just thinking about biting the bullet and cutting off all my layers instead of doing it gradually. I'm thinking that doing it gradually will just make it look worse because then the layers would look less intentional and just messy.

Lostsoule77
October 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I think it depends on what your eventual goals are. If you want not too long hair that you'll wear down most of the time the face framing layers will probably look lovely. If you want long hair that you can wear in beautiful updos I'd advise against it. I got face framing layers just because I allowed the hair dresser to do what she wanted. I still haven't grown them out years later and they bug me constantly. Then again I want longer hair with neat updos and sooner rather than later. If you don't care how long it takes you you can still get them cut and even it up later down the line.

If you decide to not cut the layers I would just trim the ends. Since they are split they do need to be cut. I trim the one layer I have left when I trim my regular hair. I just cut off the bare minimum and it's slowly working. Tell the hair dresser that you want a slight trim on everything, but that you are trying to grow the layers out and to keep that in mind.

Remember even if you do want super long hair you need to be happy with it the whole time. You are at the beginning of your journey and there is no reason to be so unhappy with your hair already. If face framing layers and/or bangs will bring you that happiness then go for it. Just try to make it so that you'll still be happy later as well. :)

unknown
October 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
I have layers all over my head and buns/braids isn't a problem at all. I just use a slight amount of water and conditioner on the strands that won't stay in the braid/bun.

The only issue I can find about layers is the trimming, split ends in layered hair is a real pain.

jojo
October 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Face framing layers would look lovely, but keep the length one length.

Your hair looks really lovely in your length photo, make sure you don't get too much trimmed as it looks in good condition to me.