PDA

View Full Version : Anyone elsewith really BIG hair

catarinalaree
October 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Maybe there's a thread on really volumous (maybe mine is just frizz) hair but my LHC search button isn't working (seems to make my internet break down) so I wanted to start a new thread.

Do you like your hair to have volume?

How much volume is too much?

How far would you go to get the desired volume?

You can share any tips that you use to calm down your hair or give it more volume.

Personally, I HATE my hair and how big it gets :mad:

Before: has a big of a curl to it but a tangle teezer gets rid of them

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8919&pictureid=116549

After: It looks really naturally massive to me and it's utterly embarrassing

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8919&pictureid=116548

Share please :)

slz
October 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
You need to read the thread about "brushing out your curls" ! IMHO you have a case of "unassumed curly" here - i.e. you shouldn't brush at all to avoid the big hair syndrom :D .

Here it is :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003
prepare to LOL :D

catarinalaree
October 19th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hahahaha thanks for the link!! :)

jujube
October 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
My hair is exactly like that! EXACTLY. like. that. Nothing can weigh it down. I just washed it, and now I look just like your After pic, only my hair stops at shoulder. Triangle much? Aside from the length my hair looks so much like yours, it's scary.

Macaroni
October 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM
You have gorgeously thick hair ♥.

Do you let it air dry before you use the tangle teaser? Try letting it dry 95% then using a very wide toothed comb.

My hair is a lot like yours, except it's all one length. I wait until mine is 95% and then use the wide toothed comb while my head is bent down. I like the volume it gives me for a chignon.

Mythica
October 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Mine's not as thick as yours (cue the Glance of Friendly Envy here), but it sure likes to poof like that! I just tell people it gets bigger when it's scared. :) It poofs right out of braids, too; don't know if anyone else has that issue. Could just be the length; the volume might be a touch less when it's at goal.

Badwolf
October 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM
My hair has the same poofiness if I brush or comb it when it's dry. I comb to remove the tangles in the shower, and then I just let it dry without touching it, and there's no poof.

celebriangel
October 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM
My hair used to look like this! Even more volume, would you believe, because I had no layers and stupidly thick teenage hair. I solved it by:

1) realising my hair is curly and treating it as such, and

2) dumping boatloads of moisture on it.

Now, evenwhen I brush it, the poof calms within a minute or two and it reforms into waves and wurls.

Your hair looks very much like mine...I would say you are at least a 2b, maybe 2c.

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM
I soooo wish I had this problem!!

spidermom
October 21st, 2011, 06:48 AM
Oh yes, me too. That's one thing I'm really enjoying about the extra length; the weight pulls the volume down. I used to fear my hair would be way too bushy long, but it's the opposite. Not that I don't have my bushy moments.

Raking some gel through it really helped define curls and waves when it was shorter.

Anje
October 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM
I wish I had that problem -- I kinda like big hair, and so does my husband. Best I can do is get big hair in the vertical dimension, since not much more can happen horizontally.

GRU
October 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM
My big-hair pics are in the linked thread.... I am the big-hair Empress Of The World! :D

At the hospital, my ID photo badge has my picture with my hair down in all its curly wonder, and I'm constantly getting comments like, "how do you get ALL THAT HAIR <points at ID badge> up like that<points at Nautilus bun>????" :confused:

Last week I had an unscheduled c-section, and of course it was the ONE DAY EVER that I wore my hair in a high ponytail instead of in a bun at clinical. My instructor was floored that I was able to get ALL THAT HAIR into one of those surgical hair net/shower cap thingies. I looked like I had a HUGE blue mushroom cloud on my head! :lol:

I should have had someone take a picture and I could make like an LOLcats photo with caption: Volume -- I haz it! ;)

LocustSpawning
October 21st, 2011, 07:07 AM
I think your hair is awesome! I love really thick wild hair like that, looks great :)

newbeginning
October 21st, 2011, 07:15 AM
I don't see all the volume as a problem at all. I'm sure many people (me included) would love to have more volume. Your hair looks great.

Orangerthanred
October 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
Me me me! My hair is overly thick and voluminous. Even when it's soaking wet. My friend, who has very kinky, thick, coarse hair, has no hair compared to me when I brush it. Sometimes hairstylists charge me extra for cuts and everything.

princessp
October 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Yes mine does this too! But I try not to brush it for that very reason. :)

Avital88
October 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
you should love it!! when it gets longer it will hang more down, mine used to be like yours too when i had that length

QMacrocarpa
October 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Mine does that too, I tangle-teezed this morning and then noticed that my hair had gone gigantic. No worries though: into an updo it went! Generally, I find that sleeping with my hair in a braid gives me "calmer" hair the next (non-wash) day, sort of anti-braid-waves. When I feel more energetic about detangling, a pick seems less "enfluffening" than a tangle-teezer for me, but the tangle-teezer often wins out because I find it easier.

Medusa
October 21st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Your hair pretty much looks like mine, only it's quite a bit longer. I have yet to figure out a procedure to keep it tangle free and manageable the days after a wash. It's either tangly but still wavy, or after combing, untangled and huge. I have discovered that big claw clips are my friend.

Noreth
October 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM
My hair's like a pompom (the crafting kind), which is just another reason why I'm growing my hair. I'm hoping it'll weigh itself down the longer it gets. :) It helps to comb it instead of brushing and to keep it in a tightly coiled hairstyles, like bee butt buns.

Though my hair's not iii (not the relaxed part). It's just BWR, Big Without Reason! :D

Arashi
October 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM
I had my hair at shoulder length and very layered(for the purpose of doing pincurls and such) for a long time and started growing it out.. it is nearing APL now and at the giant triangle head stage. Blah! I can not have it down without doing a half up lest there is just way too much hair around my face.

I can't wait until I get some more length so it weighs itself down and doesn't look so awkward. That sounds really counterproductive, though, doesn't it.. "my hair is too big.. well, growing another foot of it should help!" :silly:

AMW
October 21st, 2011, 05:38 PM
I wish I had this problem too=( I love big hair!

Lostsoule77
October 22nd, 2011, 11:41 AM
I think it often depends on what you already have whether you like big hair or not. My hair looks similar to yours when I brush it dry. For that reason I tend to comb it when wet and that's the end of it. The only way I brush when dry is if it's going into a braid or something and doesn't matter.

Browniegirl
October 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
I Think it looks lovely. It probally is curly,too..I love wild and free thick hair :)

Galdr
October 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
mine was just like that too and i didn't like that so i wore updos a lot. but i waited it out and now it's less puffy when it's longer. but i didn't realize is how awesome and crazy it actually looked (now that i see my pictures from a couple of years ago) i just wanted longer less puffy hair back then.

catarinalaree
October 22nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
All I do really is wash it, towel dry it then use my tangle teezer while wet, put some coconut oil on it and braid it or leave it down. My hair never dries in a braid however (and can sometimes take the whole night to dry)

And I found yesterday morning that it's not really the problem of curls because I didn't brush or comb it wet or dry and it had the same volume :rolleyes:

It's actually very interesting that a lot of you are saying length will weight it down because I started a thread a while ago to discuss my theory than hair would lose volume (and frizz - but length-induced frizz) as it gets longer and many people did not agree.

By the way did anyone notice the color difference from my roots to my henna'd hair to my bleached ends? I find it quite funny :)