PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fine Hair and Detangling

UP Lisa
October 19th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Just wondering if you detangle when your hair is wet, or wait till it is dry? Which works best for you?

Babyfine
October 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I do it wet after gently towel drying and after spraying in my leave-in conditioner(Aubrey organics Sea Buckthorn Curl activator).
I can't imagine waiting until dry.

MissManda
October 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM
My hair likes extremes... I either have to detangle when it's soaking wet and slathered in conditioner or I have to wait until my hair is almost completely dry. I don't like to detangle my hair after I get out of the shower because it kills any root lift that my hair has, plus messing with wet or damp hair can give me some of the nastiest tangles ever.

arielįgua
October 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have baby fine hairs and medium ones.
I comb to detangle it when it's damp. Not wet not dry.
I noticed my fragile hair breaks off and falls out more if I detangle it when wet.
I take the excess water with a towel than I let air dry for 2 minutes and than comb it. :)
It works very well for me.
My hair is very fragile when wet.

teal
October 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Damp. I can't stand waiting 'til it's dry... that's a long wait and I have stuff to do! It's got to be put up.

Vanilla
October 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I detangle with conditioner in the shower with a wide tooth comb, and detangle after towel drying with a fine tooth comb.

Anje
October 19th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I detangle fairly wet after washing, once it's come out of the towel and won't drip anymore. I can wait til it's dry, but I'm naughty and usually don't.

Madora
October 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I detangle while my hair is slathered with conditioner and go slowly by taking small, thin sections of hair and then using my wide tooth comb, start at the bottom and gently work my way up the strands, little by little.

Chiara
October 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I detangle when its damp, after applying leave-in conditioner. For me the most important thing, whether wet or dry, is that something which gives slip is involved. Otherwise it gets ugly...

torrilin
October 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Depends.

I have two main methods. One, I'm detangling braided hair where the braid has been left in for more than a day. There, I'll tend to detangle dry hair. I'll also tend to use my fingers as the first and best tool. A comb is mostly of value if I really need to get out as much shed hair as possible.

The other main method is wet and loaded with leave in conditioner. Again, fingers tend to get used first.

In both cases, the goal is to keep my hair from really having a chance to develop nasty tangles. Braided hair tends to behave well for me, and so do buns. But hair that is left loose is just asking for misery and sadness.

twopoints
October 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I always wait until my hair is dry. It gets much easier to detangle when it's dry.

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I'm still trying to decide which is better for me. If I detangle in the shower with conditioner, it seems to be all tangled up again by the time I have towel-dried it. And I don't rub it with the towel, or tip my head over, or anything.

Alaia
October 20th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I detangle dry :)

Always. Doing it wet just makes it worse, for me, the hairs all stick together and tangle more easily.

rocket_surgeon
October 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I detangle my hair when it's dry. I don't tend to have tangle problems when I keep my ends nice, though.

heidi w.
October 20th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Just wondering if you detangle when your hair is wet, or wait till it is dry? Which works best for you?

I generally detangle dry. However, I do work with my hair while it is damp, to kind of pre-detangle, to separate the wet clumps from each other so the hair will dry, but not overly focus on pristine detangled hair as I will then lose too much hair.

I also recommend using a wide-tooth comb, or extra wide, wide-toothed comb. I use the latter comb style, and it's the only comb I can get through my hair, wet or dry.

I am unclear if you have waves or those are braid waves in your hair? If natural waves, you may want to proceed as Madora explains where she detangles in the shower, if I understood her correctly, and coat the hair with conditioner, and dip the comb in the conditioner over and over again, as necessary, and use the power of the shower water to help with detangling.

Good luck,
heidi w.

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Braid waves in the signature pic, but I do have natural waves.

I think I might be best off doing what you do with the finger detangling while wet.

I can't seem to use any comb, except in the shower with conditioner. I can just hear the hairs breaking when I do. I have been using a Tangle Teezer-have much better luck with that.

I generally detangle dry. However, I do work with my hair while it is damp, to kind of pre-detangle, to separate the wet clumps from each other so the hair will dry, but not overly focus on pristine detangled hair as I will then lose too much hair.

I also recommend using a wide-tooth comb, or extra wide, wide-toothed comb. I use the latter comb style, and it's the only comb I can get through my hair, wet or dry.

I am unclear if you have waves or those are braid waves in your hair? If natural waves, you may want to proceed as Madora explains where she detangles in the shower, if I understood her correctly, and coat the hair with conditioner, and dip the comb in the conditioner over and over again, as necessary, and use the power of the shower water to help with detangling.

Good luck,
heidi w.

Chetanlaiho
October 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Touching my hair with any intention of detangling when it's wet/damp will make it shed like crazy. I wait till it's fully dry, and even then an awful lot of strands come out after showering >_<

Anje
October 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I'm still trying to decide which is better for me. If I detangle in the shower with conditioner, it seems to be all tangled up again by the time I have towel-dried it. And I don't rub it with the towel, or tip my head over, or anything.
I'm like that too. Have no idea why, but rinsing seems to tangle my hair.

For the record, my hair's not baby fine, just normal fine.

Jessykins
October 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM
i brush it before i go in the shower, and if it gets a bit tatty while washing a get a wide touch comb and comb the ends, but it does pull a bit for my liking, and then i would use a paddle brush to brush it out after i towel dry and give it a few minutes in my towel turban wrap. i hate knowing my hair might have a few tangles

pepperminttea
October 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Damp - after a towel turban. My hair's too stretchy while wet, and if I let tangles dry in my hair they seem to matt together in the process. Damp detangling is the lesser of three evils. :p I do still have to be exceedingly gentle and slow with it though.

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Unless there is really something wrong, it is natural to shed hairs that were ready to come out after washing.

Touching my hair with any intention of detangling when it's wet/damp will make it shed like crazy. I wait till it's fully dry, and even then an awful lot of strands come out after showering >_<

freckles
October 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have to do both. I fingercomb with conditioner in, I brush (with a tangle teezer) while wet, I brush (tangle teezer again) when it's dried. For me, detangling isn't a discrete event, it's an ongoing process. :shrug:

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
That's really true for me, too. Don't you hate the noise the Tangle Teezer makes? Sounds like it's breaking every hair off.:eek:

I have to do both. I fingercomb with conditioner in, I brush (with a tangle teezer) while wet, I brush (tangle teezer again) when it's dried. For me, detangling isn't a discrete event, it's an ongoing process. :shrug:

freckles
October 20th, 2011, 02:10 PM
That's really true for me, too. Don't you hate the noise the Tangle Teezer makes? Sounds like it's breaking every hair off.:eek:

:lol: I'm pretty used to it by now, and with normal brushes and with combs I could FEEL that hairs were breaking off (and being pulled out), so the noise of the tangle teezer doesn't really bother me in comparison. :) But yes, it is a harsh sounding noise!

torrilin
October 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM

If the hair that's shedding has a bulb on one end, sorry, it isn't the detangling that is making you shed. That bulb tells you the hair is done growing. It was going to come out no matter what.

No bulb on either end? That's breakage. Some hair is very prone to breakage, and if handled "right" will just break and break and break. The exact "right" handling will vary. For my hair, blow drying, curling irons or hot rollers, perms, yanking at tangles and a whole host of other acts will cause breakage. I can dye it and wash it and detangle it with conditioner with no issues. For some kinds of hair, frequent washing or detangling with conditioner would cause issues.

Since a pretty large share of my tangles are caused by shed hairs that were done growing, I want to get the shed hair out of the mass as effectively as possible.

Anje
October 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I know, it's awful! But I've started to use the sound as a clue that I need to slow down and go gentler, and my opinion is shifting toward the idea that response to the sound effects might be part of why the thing is more gentle.

frodolaughs
October 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I dry comb with a wide-tooth comb before getting in the shower (it saves the drain). After washing and conditioning I wrap it up in a turban, then comb it while damp with something finer and stick it straight into a bun. I don't have time to wait for it to dry. As long as I keep it either up or braided I don't have too big a problem with tangles.

uptosomeone
October 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I rarely get tangles and if I do they're nothing worth talking about in the least. I gently comb my hair right after taking out excess water with a towel though. If I wait til it's try my very very faint body waves make it dry stupid. :rolleyes:

RedDevil
October 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I only detangle with conditioner in the shower

UP Lisa
October 21st, 2011, 06:01 AM
Lucky you. I'm always amazed that my hair can manage to tangle even though it is pretty much always up or braided.

I dry comb with a wide-tooth comb before getting in the shower (it saves the drain). After washing and conditioning I wrap it up in a turban, then comb it while damp with something finer and stick it straight into a bun. I don't have time to wait for it to dry. As long as I keep it either up or braided I don't have too big a problem with tangles.

Lilli
October 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM
I'm going to start detangling while dry. Doing it wet or damp just pulls out and breaks my hair, while flattening it and killing the waves!

UP Lisa
October 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Detangling while wet kills the waves on my hair, too. It usually doesn't matter, since I can't wear it down anyway.:(

I'm going to start detangling while dry. Doing it wet or damp just pulls out and breaks my hair, while flattening it and killing the waves!

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
I only ever detangle in the shower, otherwise my curls go haywire and look frizzy and ridiculous, as well as breaking off all over the place. :/

FrozenBritannia
October 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM
When it's damp, after misting on some leave-in conditioner or rooibios tea.

Fairlight63
October 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM
My hair is also fine & I can not get a comb through my hair when it is wet. When it was short I used to comb it when wet but since getting long - no way. When I wash it I put a knit snood on my hair until it gets dry, then I comb it.

islandboo
October 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
I detangle with a wide toothed comb in the shower when I have lots of conditioner on and then again after towel drying with a medium tooth and sometimes fine tooth comb (yak horn for the medium and camellia oiled wood for the fine). If I wait until it is dry to detangle, I have hordes of fairy knots to fight.

blondie9912
October 22nd, 2011, 01:52 AM
I agree with MissManda! Because my hair is coloured, detangling when it's half dry is a recipe for disaster. I usually do it when my hair is damp (after towel-drying). Then again, my hair isn't really prone to tangles, so detangling is never difficult for me

hanne jensen
October 22nd, 2011, 02:32 AM
I very gently detangle with my fingers after my hair has been up in a T shirt for about 10 mins. I'm doing this now. Then I wait until it's damp, detangle more with my fingers and smack it up. I then cover my hair with 2 scarves and wait until 1 hr. before bed, take the scarves off, detangle again with my fingers and then put it up for the night.

My hair tangles if I even blink my eyes!