PDA

View Full Version : Kitten chewed off some of my hair!!!!

Amraann
October 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Yesterday morning my 1 yo manx kitten jumped up in bed with me like he usually does.

He started playing with my hair.. Something else he usually does. Then he started chewing on it.
He has done that before too. After about a minute I took my hair away.
OMG he had literally chewed off a piece!!

About 1/8 of an inch wide and 6 inches long!
Since my hemline has layers in it... it is not really noticeable.

I guess I will be sleeping with my hair in a bun from now on!

ElusiveMuse
October 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
My baby girl (a Cornish Rex) loooooooves to play with my hair and gnaw on it. She will literally wrap herself in it like she's nesting and just chew away if I let her. She also loves to climb my husband and lick his hair. We think maybe she likes our shampoo? Who knows? She'll get kind of pushy with me if I try to move away sometimes, and she'll hang onto my scalp for dear life. Probably not a habit I should encourage but she's just so darn adorable.
http://i56.tinypic.com/20gjiuq.jpg

I should add, when she does actually ingest my hair it can sometimes cause problems for her when it, uh, comes out the other end. Things get stuck to the strands and it makes it hard for her to, well, detach from them. If you know what I mean...

JuliaDancer
October 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Haha those stories are cute. Luckily my cat has no interest in hair. He prefers feet, and has gnawed holes in my friend's socks while he was sleeping.

Amraann
October 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
That is it!

He is so adorable that I cannot even be upset with him for chewing off my hair. I just love him :)

heidi w.
October 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
When my pup was a true puppy, she used to chase the switch of my braid. At that time, I hung out on the floor a lot.

Would this be a Bad Kitty thread?

hee-hee.

heidi w.

Vanille_
October 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I had a kitten who used to crawl around in my hair on my pillow and nibble and do that paw thing they do. He outgrew it. It's probably just a phase :)

ElusiveMuse
October 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I had a kitten who used to crawl around in my hair on my pillow and nibble and do that paw thing they do. He outgrew it. It's probably just a phase :)

My cat is almost 5 years old!:p

Vanille_
October 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
My cat is almost 5 years old!:p

Awww!! Well that's just darn cute.

amberpotamus
October 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Lol, my sister's cat used to swallow her hair while she slept. Not chew it off, just swallow it. Then she'd have to pull it out of his stomach in the morning. Good thing she never wanted her hair longer than BSL, because I can't think stomach acid is particularly beneficial to hair health!

...Also, I loooove Cornish Rex! (Er Rexes... not sure if it's one of those weird words that stays the same when it's plural or not....) I definitely want to have one one day (though for now two SPCA beasties and an imbred, too much Himalayan in him and really cranky Ragdoll are all the cats I need).

misspurdy06
October 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I have had to pull my hair out of my cats throat cause he swallowed it while still attached to my head.

neko_kawaii
October 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
My cat used to gnaw on the end of my braid as well as the end of her tail when she was a kitten. She hasn't done that in years. I do have to hide ribbons from her though as she will still chew on those.

Speaking of strange cat behavior, I once had a neighbor who's cat had a habit of biting her nipple while she was sleeping.

ElusiveMuse
October 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Lol, my sister's cat used to swallow her hair while she slept. Not chew it off, just swallow it. Then she'd have to pull it out of his stomach in the morning. Good thing she never wanted her hair longer than BSL, because I can't think stomach acid is particularly beneficial to hair health!

...Also, I loooove Cornish Rex! (Er Rexes... not sure if it's one of those weird words that stays the same when it's plural or not....) I definitely want to have one one day (though for now two SPCA beasties and an imbred, too much Himalayan in him and really cranky Ragdoll are all the cats I need).

I think plural is just "rex." And yes, I adore the breed. They are just so darling and pretty and soft and all of them I've met have great personalities. Lydia is my baby.

Aveyronnaise
October 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
These stories are so funny. I had a kitten once that gave me a hicky ! He was a suckler and nursed on my neck one night , when I woke up I had a tiny kitty hicky. Luckily he grew out of it.

racrane
October 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Aw, some cute stories. My cat (when he could fit in the palm of my hand while a baby) would sit on my head. He loves playing with my hair and he does bury his little head in it, too. :)

Intransigentia
October 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I should add, when she does actually ingest my hair it can sometimes cause problems for her when it, uh, comes out the other end. Things get stuck to the strands and it makes it hard for her to, well, detach from them. If you know what I mean...

I know exactly what you mean. Once something startled my kitty when he was pooping, so he ran away, and since the poop was still attached, it started chasing him, so he started running and jumping to try to get away and the poop was swinging around behind him and he couldn't escape and it would have been funny except that the poop was hitting the walls and floor and furniture while he was running away from it. That was a cleanup I did not enjoy.

heartgoesboom
October 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
oh no! lol, i'm so scared my dog will do it one day. so far he only bites the ends of my braids or my buns while i am lying down....

kittensoupnrice
October 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I know what you mean!
When my cat was a kitten, he used to try to eat my hair all the time. Now that he's older, he doesn't as often, but I still have to watch out if I'm wearing my hair down in a braid. Just the other day, he jumped on my braid while I was at my computer and scared the heck out of me.

Sometimes, when I'm being hair-negligent, I use my braid tip as a cat toy. Generally he'll just bite the tip and bat at it, but there was one time he started to chew bits of it off.

I think he just likes hair and hair-like things. I have to hide all my wool yarns from him. I once made him a little crocheted wool toy filled with wool batting and he ATE it. The cotton and acrylic yarns don't even get a second glance.

archel
October 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I used to wear hair sticks with maribou feathers on the ends. Imagine a 20 pound cat leaping and attacking the back of your head. I guess wearing those when he had a "bird on a stick" toy was pretty foolish...

PinkyCat
October 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM
My Beebo likes to get up on my pillow and knead my head after I hit the snooze button. Sometimes his hooks are pretty sharp & really dig in, so I bat them away - ony to have him rip some hair out of my scalp!

amantha
October 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hrm...my kitty chews my hair when it's draped over the couch arm. I've been wondering why I have a chunk of hair that only about 6 inches long....and it mysteriously appeared a few days ago. :(

SilentGuardian
October 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM
My birds love hair. But I don't think they could take off much like that

gretchen_hair
October 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Holy Moly, it wouldn't be so bad if you could train kitty to trim by chewing straight across!

Aeris
October 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM
These stories are so funny. I had a kitten once that gave me a hicky ! He was a suckler and nursed on my neck one night , when I woke up I had a tiny kitty hicky. Luckily he grew out of it.

Oh gosh, my sister's cat used to do it all the time - except on the mouth. Instant kitty lip plumper!

He did it on a holiday once, as my grandparents were watching..my grandpa just stared for a few minutes before he finally started laughing. :p

And one of my kittens, when he was bottle-feeding, tried to nurse on my boyfriend. They've been best friends ever since.

growfro
January 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Something about hair just drives puppies and kittens crazy!! Probably more animals too, but those I've had alot of experience with. I love when they play with it, yet it gives me mini anxiety at the same time!

MandyBeth
January 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Holy Moly, it wouldn't be so bad if you could train kitty to trim by chewing straight across!
Would be a cheap stylist - mine would do it for catnip... Thankfully my only hair obsessive cat just likes to sleep on my head seeing as he's also the blind cat.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4862&pictureid=63279

However, my former peacock feather hair sticks?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4611&pictureid=68299

The other one has since suffered the same fate.

jacqueline101
January 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I got my cat as a full grown cat when I joined here I started oiling my hair and she smells my hair then sneezes. I love my cat but not the head full of sneeze.

terylenerose
January 29th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Interesting stories. My cats don't chew on hair really, but my rabbit does sometimes. I hope she never does it to me. I sleep with braids anyway.

Amber_Maiden
January 29th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yep. My cat eats my hair too... He also loves avocados... I put avocado oil in my hair... hmm... a connection?! LOL

SarahKayfa
January 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
When my dog was a puppy he chewed my hair while I slept all the time, it was pretty cute.

Long_hair_bear
January 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM
My birds love hair. But I don't think they could take off much like that

My sun conure, Aldara, tries to chew on my hair but gets swatted away when she does. :D

Heian Beauty
January 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Well, it's a cute problem at least!

My own cat is hair-friendly, she just ignores it even when she's right next to my head. My uncle's cat, however, loves anything soft and likes to do biscuits (kneading) on my hair when I lay on the sofa.

UltraBella
January 30th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Amraann, I request a photo of this hair eating kitty :)