PDA

View Full Version : Hair Frizzies Help?

AlabasterAlice
October 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I was going to go with "Hair Help" but that seems even more vague. I have always had frizzy hair. I have given up trying to tame it for several months now, because I have been focusing on the health of the hair, not the look. But yesterday I took a photo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8911&pictureid=116495) of a bun I did and saw how frizzy the hair looks. Odd ends stick out everywhere and it makes me feel so...bleh. I see plenty of people on here with sleek hair, and I'm wondering if this is a sign of hair issues I need to fix? I have never S&D'd simply because I don't know what a split end looks like on my hair (ok, so I have seen a few, but looking for them is nearly impossible because my hair doesn't lay flat and split ends would sooner get lost in the mass) and I'm worried I'd just become obsessive about it. I don't need any more OCD in my life. :(

Anyway, I'm sorry if this sounds whiny, I just don't know what to do - if I'm even supposed to do anything. I was hoping some of you on LHC may be able to tell me if this is split ends, or something of the sort, and how I might fix it or if I just need to chill out. :o

eshta
October 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
FWIW I don't think it looks all that frizzy. Your natural waves/wurls make it look more frizzy than all those smooth 1a/1b's out there. Don't compare too much! Maybe do some extra deep treatments or use a tiny bit more oil/leave in than normal? The weather is also changing, more static and wind, maybe that why it looks more frizzy to you?

ElusiveMuse
October 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Well, for what it's worth, I S&D constantly and my hair looks like that in updos too.

I think that when your hair has texture, it's harder to make new growth hairs lay flat because they are not flat. It may just be a lot of new growth. It may also be damage that has traveled from a split end up the hair shaft. It's hard to tell without seeing more of your hair.

ACV rinses have helped me at least up the shine factor, which I think hides the fly aways, but also just working with my natural texture. Which I thought was 2b-ish but once I started really working with it, found that it's actually quite curly and when I allow it to be as curly as it wants, it's much smoother in appearance.

AlabasterAlice
October 20th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you both. The weather probably is messing with my hair too. I put a bit of oil on it and that has helped. I also have some "hair tea" with ACV that I am going to start rinsing with. That should bring out the shine. :)

No S&D'ing for me. At least until I figure out how to do it properly without going nuts on my hair.

cmg
October 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Think positive! Your hair might be growing a lot and the odds and ends sticking out are actually new growth that has been protected by the lengths! You can put the tinyest bit of coconut oil and rub it warm between your fingers and then smoth over your hair. This will keep them tame. And after some time your entire length will be more and more healthy!

Dont treat your hair as one piece. Your scalp might need less conditioning than your lengths, for whatever reason. Perhaps a leave-in on the lengths works for you. I think your current length is one of the more troublesome ones, they rub against anything and the hair swirls here and there ... A little longer and it weighs down more which controls it. Keep bunning it, if that works for you. Think positive - you are on the right track!

jaine
October 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I agree it's just a side effect of having wavy or curly hair. There are workarounds though, if you want it to look smooth. I like to dry my hair in a bun or a braid...the front dries pretty quickly and then I re-bun it, so it looks just like a smooth bun in straight hair.

vatikagirl
October 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM
i have the pretty much same hair texture.... and i can say for sure... its becoz the wavy nature u think ur hair is fizzy...
as jaine said... bun drying really helps... i too do the same thing... comb my damp hair and bun it and let it dry off... after 2hrs i have nice soft non frizzy hair... sometimes i seal off my hair cuticles with nail size amount of coconut oil .... esp when the weather is humid or changing or just messy over all.
by the way... bun looks gr8... girl u did a good job. :)