PDA

View Full Version : Elderly client told me to cut my hair...I look too young!!

honeyblonde
October 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Yup! That's what she said, haha!

I work as a caregiver for the elderly. I prefer taking on the difficult clients, I love a good challenge. I went to see a new client, an 80 year old women.

Upon my arrival she said, " You're just a kid, go home!" Well, I am 40 something :D . I told her how old I was and she said, "well, It's that hair of yours, it makes you look too young, you need to cut it." Lol!

There you go, proof that long hair makes you look younger. :eyebrows:

Btw, we got along just fine, she even asked me to curl her hair.

Amraann
October 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM
That is a cute story!!!!

Nice ego boost too!

spidermom
October 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Old people these days! haha

ElusiveMuse
October 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I love elderly people. They are so interesting and have so much to say if you spend time with them.

I cut my hair off because it made me look too young when I was working as an aid in the counseling office of a middle school. Got asked for my hall pass one too many times. I was 25.

honeyblonde
October 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM
It's amazing, she really made my day! :)

honeyblonde
October 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Old people these days! haha

Haha! Love it!

PixxieStix
October 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
What a great experience! I knew that whole "long hair makes you look old when you're older" hype was all a bunch of hooey! I'd be smiling for the next week after that. ^.^

Seharia
October 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
She sounds like lots of fun to be around! Are you now her permanent caregiver?

LittleB
October 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Oh my gosh, sounds like my Mimi! :)

supercupcakexx
October 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Old people can be so cute. :p

I bet you felt good after that though!

WaitingSoLong
October 19th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I know I would look older if I cut my hair. Possibly even my age. lol

I just hope I still look much younger than I am when I am 50 or older.

Was she grouchy or just matter-of-fact?

owlathena
October 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hah! I love old people! At least you realize that its a compliment. There are way too many "So-and-so-said I'm too old to have long hair" threads on here.

homeeduk8tor
October 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
That's funny, I work with a lady who is 84. She just loves it when I wear my hair down. She saw my daughter recently and commented to me that I look more like my daughter's sister than her mom. LOL, I couldn't believe me ears!

MissManda
October 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
That is so epic! :D Congrats!

WaitingSoLong, I never would have guessed your age correctly by just looking at your avatar picture. ;)

honeyblonde
October 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I know I would look older if I cut my hair. Possibly even my age. lol

I just hope I still look much younger than I am when I am 50 or older.

Was she grouchy or just matter-of-fact?

I'd have to say, grouchy in a matter of fact sort of way! Oh, I get like that too...sometimes.

honeyblonde
October 19th, 2011, 04:59 PM
She sounds like lots of fun to be around! Are you now her permanent caregiver?

No, just filling in for the day! :)

cowgirllong
October 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
What a compliment! :)

Columbia River
October 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I absolutely love people over 65. I joke about living in a retirement community. (my neighborhood was built in the 60s...lots of original homeowners still) my best friend is a 74 neighbor, I joke about him being one of the original beatniks... Adore him.

CC-Bale
October 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
It's a blessing to be old. I'm going to be matter-of-fact too when I'm older. People only get insulted being called young when they're young.

|Xei
October 20th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Sounds like one cool lady!

The thing about long hair making one look old is so...well, I don't believe one bit of it. On certain people who can't carry long hair well, perhaps, but my own experience tells me otherwise.

My mom (she probably had APL+ hair at the time, so it's considerably long) told me she had a customer tell her that she could probably be his daughter. But the thing was, my mom was most likely older than the guy himself, at least by a decade or close to. He insisted that she was only in her mid-twenties even when she told him she has a 27 year old son and 20 year old daughter.

WaitingSoLong
October 20th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Youth is associated with being naive/stupid/ignorant/reckless and being called young can be insulting, depending on who it comes from.

I was in an IRL group once and everyone there was old enough to be my mom or older. They poo-poo'd everything I said because I was "young" and "hadn't lived life yet" and I should "just wait til I'm older when the REAL problems in life happen". I was quite insulted that my REAL problems were seen as invalid just because I wasn't 60!