PDA

View Full Version : Uhm... dying long hair?

Sarahmoon
October 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM
(This question has probably been asked before, but I can't get the search to work today, so please point me in the right direction if there's already another thread about it.)

I think I'll be way too young to accept greys for another 15 years or so... Even though I'm not really looking forward to dying because I think it might be hard to match my natural colour, and I haven't quite chosen any sort of dye yet, I'm just thinking about it.

So, then it occurred to me I don't really know how to do it. My mom dyes her hair above the sink, but she has short hair. I've always hated washing my hair above the sink even when it was still shorter. How do you people with waist length and longer hair dye it? I don't have a bath and I wonder if I do it in the shower, will I end up with... strangely coloured body hair? :uhh:

:lol: Sorry this might be a very silly question, but the last time I dyed my hair was 10 years ago, above the bath, with help of my mom. And I remember a big mess.

spidermom
October 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
You can always bend forward and let all your hair fall toward the floor in the shower so it's not hanging all over you.

Madora
October 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I imagine it would be a royal pain. It might look fine for a while, but then the natural roots begin to show and you have to cover them up.

Also, if you're considering dyeing your hair, make sure it is something that will completely wash out.

ange1ito
October 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I dye only the roots with a semi, wella colourtouch. It does wash out after a while but my grey just turn's a lighter shade of brown which I don't mind. I only top up the ends once every 6 months or so if it needs it or can be bothered. When I do the length I use a brush and then clamp it up with claw clips. Once during the waiting process I will take it down and adjust to give the dye a chance to oxidise before putting it back in the clips.

Carolyn
October 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I get mine dyed in a salon. I totally screwed mine up dyeing it myself at home. I hear ya on not wanting to go gray.

Mi-chan666
October 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I stand in front of the shower and bend over with my hair falling over my head and into the "shower tub thingy". ;)

The ends of my hair rest in the shower, yes, but it still works. (I use Henna to dye)

Sarahmoon
October 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Thank you guys!

I didn't quite think of just bending over in the shower :doh:. It might be a bit uncomfortable but I probably won't have to stand like that for that long.

I'm afraid a salon would be very expensive in the long run, plus I find they don't always know how to handle long hair and pull fine tooth combs right through it and stuff. I think I'll try it myself on some collected fallen out hairs first to check the colour and then go for it (just find the guts to do it, just like the first time I cut it myself :lol:).

archel
October 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
A salon quoted my sister $120 to dye her TB length hair! We did it for less than $20. If your hair is very long, I suggest getting a friend to help and having them use a tint brush to make sure they get EVERYTHING. Wear an old black t-shirt you don't mind messing up if you're going darker. When I henna, I cover the entire bathroom floor with newspaper. Just do a lot of preparation and you'll do great!

Oh and since henna takes so long, I clip it up with an octopus clip and then put a shower cap over that so it will not dry out or get on anything else. I take off my gloves and putter around the house for hours. No problem! If you're doing regular dye and it only takes 30 minutes or so, you could probably just chill in the bathroom.

summergreen
October 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
If you dont have many greys, you could blend them in with a wash-out colour mousse. I havent tried these but they sound like theyd be gentle on hair, plus no commitment.

heidi w.
October 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
SarahMoon, why would you color dye your hair? You're only 26. Officionados don't even recommend older women do it unless their gray hair covers something like 15% of the head of hair or more.

Also, with dyeing there are rinses and other methods that don't involve ammonia,which is pretty harsh on hair. THEN once you dye you have to use shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair to preserve the coloring for longer.

And if you don't like it, you've got to just grow it out, which can take a while, and you may for a bit have two-tone hair.

Sweetie, you're only 26. Or do I misunderstand, and you're curious? I know a long hair guru who excels at coloring hair, I am told.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 19th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you guys!

I didn't quite think of just bending over in the shower :doh:. It might be a bit uncomfortable but I probably won't have to stand like that for that long.

I'm afraid a salon would be very expensive in the long run, plus I find they don't always know how to handle long hair and pull fine tooth combs right through it and stuff. I think I'll try it myself on some collected fallen out hairs first to check the colour and then go for it (just find the guts to do it, just like the first time I cut it myself :lol:).

I bring my own comb with me to use when visiting a salon. You never know if they cleaned the comb they're using properly, even though they're supposed to. I've seen it all!

heidi w.

Vanille_
October 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I just grab a friend. I put newspaper all over the floor, walls, and sink in the bathroom. I just have my hair sectioned and have a friend put it in. It's too easy for me to miss something if I do it myself.

UP Lisa
October 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
As long as you wash it off your skin as soon as you can, you shouldn't have a problem The main thing is to not get it in your eyes.

geminiwoman
October 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
If you're going to color, get a friend to help! Ideally someone who has done plenty of home coloring before. This is the sort of thing my friends and I have always helped each other with, it is SO much easier to get good even coverage and not miss any spots when you're working on someone else's head.

luxepiggy
October 20th, 2011, 02:27 AM
If you're going to color, get a friend to help! Ideally someone who has done plenty of home coloring before. This is the sort of thing my friends and I have always helped each other with, it is SO much easier to get good even coverage and not miss any spots when you're working on someone else's head.

This! I dye my hair every month myself, but it wasn't until I had my mom help with it once that the undyed patch hiding in my underlayer was discovered! Whoops (^(oo)^)`

clematis
October 20th, 2011, 03:18 AM
powder hair dye - with a brush might be more difficult than the liquid dye from a bottle with a nozzle.

powder hair dyes - the ones you mix with plain water are becoming more popular in india - ispite of the PPD factor - as these dyes are suppose to depost color & not 'lift' as opposed to liquid hair dyes with developer.

honeyblonde
October 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
This is my routine, works great for me.

I apply olive oil to my length and comb it through. I sometimes apply a conditioner after the oil.

In front of a 3 way mirror, I section my hair (instructions in the dye box will show you how to do this).

Apply the dye to sectioned roots, be careful not to overlap!

I then wash it out in the shower!

I have never tried the bending over method, I would be afraid that I would miss spots or overlap the color onto previous colored hair.

Grillz
October 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I would kneel on the floor over the side of the tub and wash it with the bathtub faucet. Sometimes I'd use the kitchen sink, but I had to be careful of hairs getting sucked down the drain lol

honeyblonde
October 20th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I would kneel on the floor over the side of the tub and wash it with the bathtub faucet. Sometimes I'd use the kitchen sink, but I had to be careful of hairs getting sucked down the drain lol

I've done that too! Scared of the kitchen sink also, especially the garbage disposal side!

Sarahmoon
October 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
If you dont have many greys, you could blend them in with a wash-out colour mousse. I havent tried these but they sound like theyd be gentle on hair, plus no commitment. I have this mousse that claims to "add colour to brown hair and cover greys". I must say it turns my fingers into a beautiful shade of brown :lol: It helps a tiny little bit with the grey hair but doesn't do a brilliant job on covering them, plus it makes it a bit sticky as if I've used gel on it.

SarahMoon, why would you color dye your hair? You're only 26. Officionados don't even recommend older women do it unless their gray hair covers something like 15% of the head of hair or more.

Also, with dyeing there are rinses and other methods that don't involve ammonia,which is pretty harsh on hair. THEN once you dye you have to use shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair to preserve the coloring for longer.

And if you don't like it, you've got to just grow it out, which can take a while, and you may for a bit have two-tone hair.

Sweetie, you're only 26. Or do I misunderstand, and you're curious? I know a long hair guru who excels at coloring hair, I am told.

heidi w.
Well, that's the problem... I'm only 26 and I don't like to have grey hair already. They are white and contrast a lot with the rest of my hair. If I leave my hair down you can hardly see them, but if I want to wear a high bun for example it gets a lot more obvious :( If I were over 40 I think I wouldn't even consider dying it. But I already don't really have a nice face that makes me look young and then the grey hair really isn't helping. Maybe I'm being too vain but it makes me really unhappy.
(Seriously, there are days when I can ignore them, and there was this time I was pulling them out crying in front of the mirror :oops:)

I guess I asked for "dying" advice because I just don't know much about it. I agree something like a rinse that can be washed out easily is more the kind of thing I had in mind. I really still have to see what kind of product I want when I decide to go for it... just, well... this is the best place to ask on how to apply and wash it out of long hair :D

katsrevenge
October 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Best way with longer hair is have a friend help... because you will miss sections! Or at least I always did... :D

if you use the demi perm-types (the ones that eventually wash out) your mistakes won't be as obvious and you can play around a bit to find one you really like.

Also, they are not as damaging.

I'm also pre-mature grey (since 12) and have been dying my hair for years. It took me a while to get the hang of it.. and that was on very short hair! these days I use henna because I was generally going red anyways, red fades horribly.. and the henna is actually good for the hair.

maborosi
October 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hi, Sarahmoon!

It looks like you have kind of a chocolately brown color (correct me if I'm wrong? lol ;) ). It shouldn't be too terribly hard to find a color that could match it.

Because you haven't dyed your hair in a while, you should go for a semi-permanent dye. These will wash off the skin pretty easily, along with not damaging the hair, and will last only a short time if you want them to (they wash out pretty easily). If you want them to last longer, when I used to use semi-permanent dyes, I'd use a clarifying shampoo first, then apply the dye and let it sit for a while. You can do these dyes often, and many of them have conditioning properties. It's great to experiment with these.

You also have the option of henna. Henna is very permanent, and a bit more difficult to get off the skin than a semi-permanent dye, but it's not impossible! If you like red tones, it is the best- and very good for the hair! I do a two-step with indigo process to get black hair, and I see some reddish glow. :) I've heard it's very successful with covering greys. If you want to have a brown color, you can do a one step process. You need to decide if you really want it, though, 'cause once henna's in, it's in forever.

You could also use a permanent dye. You really want to be careful if you go this route for a few reasons-

1. Permanent dye is not easily washed out. In my experience, it can wash out, it's not as permanent as henna, but you really want to make sure that the color you're using is the color you want- or else you might have to deal with a mistake for a while!

2. Permanent dyes can be pretty damaging. Some of the high-lift ones are really bad for the hair because they lift up the cuticle of the hair each time- which, after a while, isn't so good for the hair.

But I believe these do a good job of covering greys. It's just a matter of being very careful and only touching up your roots when you decide to re-color.

They make soft-lift dyes that lift the color just a little bit- I believe Garnier's Herbashine (The permanent one) does this.

As far as keeping it off the skin, and other worries:

- Use vaseline/petroleum jelly/lip balm to keep the dye off your skin- apply a layer along the hairline, and on the neck. It would also be a very good idea to apply it to the fingernails, even if you're wearing gloves. Accidents happen- I've had stained fingernails before even when I was wearing gloves.

-To get good coverage, it's generally advised that you section off your hair. I didn't really do this, and there were many times when entire patches of my hair wouldn't be colored, lol. My hair's pretty long, though not as long as yours. I'd think your best bet would be to keep the other sections in bee butt buns until they're ready to be dyed, then, coat each section, and clip it up with some kind of claw clip.

Someone else doing it for you is a lot of help. Try to lay newspaper around if you choose to do it out of the shower.

Hope I was able to help :3

~maborosi~

berr
October 21st, 2011, 04:09 PM
I try to find a color closest to my own. I then blend.... since my bangs and sides are the only hair that really goes white but there is a lot of it. I put a towel around my shoulders and dye the part, the bangs, the sides and back from nape up. I will stretch what is left through my lenght... (which isn't very much, when I have it professionally done they have to make 2 batches) My hair is always up anyway. No need to dye the ends as they still have color and I don't wear my hair down.

BlazingHeart
October 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
For something mild and chemical free and low commitment to cover grays, you might try sage tea or sage and rosemary tea. Walnut hulls/shells can also make a good brown dye, though it will outlast the teas I mentioned.

heidihug
October 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
I dye my roots every 8 to 10 weeks with permanent box dye. I've never had someone help me, but I do have thin and fine hair, so it only takes me about 10 min to apply. I let it sit for the proscribed time, then rinse out in the shower, just like I do when I wash. There's absolutely no reason to tip your head forward and rinse upside-down. The few seconds that the diluted dye is washing down your body is not going to change the color of your body hair :), I guarantee it. I was prematurely gray, also, so I understand not wanting to look older than you are.

Lostsoule77
October 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM
I've always just wet my hair in the shower. Then I apply the dye leaning over the tub and rinse it out under the tub faucet. I don't see why you couldn't do the same in a regular shower. Just make sure you rinse your body off thoroughly and you should be fine. I would also recommend semi-permanent dye. It's not as bad for your hair and while it does wash out, it can take quite awhile. I've used clairol natural instincts multiple times (always years apart though) and I never noticed any damage. The red tended to wash out in a couple months. I used black in November of 2009 and it's still in parts of my hair.

I don't think having a couple of grey's is a big deal. They probably won't multiple until years from now. If you does bother you that much go ahead and dye. Just be careful to baby your hair as much as possible and only dye the roots as you need to.

AlabasterAlice
October 21st, 2011, 10:41 PM
Permanent dye, and/or box dye will never touch my head again.

That being said, I use a semi permanent dye and it works great! I only use a 10 volume developer so that helps with reducing some damage. I always put my hair up in a little plastic store bag (like a walmart bag) and that holds all the hair and the goop.

Once it's up in the bag I wrap it in my "hair towel" (the one towel I have that is the perfect size for my hair), and go to work getting all the dye off of my skin (and the floor...and counter...and cat...etc). It has time to process and it stays put. I'm very happy with this method. :)

Seeshami
October 21st, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have dyed, used henna, tried to tone down with indigo, katam and all sorts of stuff and I do it butt naked in the bathroom sealed off from the world and rinse in the shower/bath. Of course I kinda enjoy the mess I make with my hair projects.

I would honestly try to accept your wisdom blondies for what they are and come to peace with them. I am getting married next march and I desperately want my real hair color back for the wedding. I don't think it's gonna happen because of all the color I have put in it