PDA

View Full Version : the hair compare

WinterButterfly
October 18th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lately when I go somewhere I look around for longhairs. I also look to see if anyone has longer hair than I do. I rarely see anyone with hair longer than mine. I am always like *yes!* when nobody around me has hair as long as I do. And I'm like *ooooooo!* when I see hair longer than mine. So I guess I wonder if anyone else looks around to compare their hair lengths to random strangers. I guess that in general I like to observe others. And I like to get a feel for what is adverage as far as hair is concerned for the town I live in. So far I have concluded that it is uncommon for people to have hair at bsl. And midback is quite rare. And anything longer is even more rare. Also the longhair guy is rare here. Out in public it is unusual to see anyone else with at least hip length hair. So I'm like *yay! I'm the odd one!* being unusual is fun!

redmj
October 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm the same way only I get all giddy inside when someone is showing off how *long* their hair is and its about bsl. I smile and think oh maybe my hairstick should just fall out.

Grillz
October 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I like to wear my hair down and can't WAIT for it to be really long for this very reason!! :cool:

ElusiveMuse
October 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Sometimes I feel like I have transferred my feelings about my weight to my hair. I used to be sad if I weren't the skinniest person in the room, but now, yes, like you I want to be the one with the longest hair.

I'm not sure that these are the healthiest feelings in the world but I guess taking good care of my hair beats the days when I used to starve and throw up a lot.:oops:

PixxieStix
October 18th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Oh, I'm constantly assessing hair around me! There are plenty of people around my area with hair that is BSL and APL, a few I have seen with waist (and usually, they are women in their 40's or 50's that Renegray! And I totally have to stop myself from going up to them and complimenting them on their gorgeous silver strewn locks as a total stranger!) , but very few with hair in good condition. I like to see how their hair compares, styles I like, etc. It's so much fun! But, I've always been a people watcher. I can't wait for the day when I'm looking around for someone with hair longer than me and I can't find them. :D

KwaveT
October 18th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My hair is already longer than most short hair men. I am also one of those that like to be unusual/different. I most certainly aim to have hair not only longer than most men but most women. I imagine that I will be doing my share of comparing as I grow my hair long.

WinterButterfly
October 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I suppose that it is natural to do a little comparison to those around you. I am always so curious. And I really do like to be unusual enough to stand out from everoyne around me. I love to see long healthy hair on people. But I really do like having the longest hair in sight. I supose when I figured that I wouldn't ever fit in that I decided to embrace the things that makes me odd. And growing long hair is another thing to embrace.

Madora
October 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I always enjoy seeing someone who takes pride in their long hair, but alas, that isn't the case 3/4ths of the time. It may be long but it is scraggly or badly damaged and that destroys the look.

It's always such a treat to see someone with hip or longer hair which is healthy and well kept. I just wish more long hairs were more adept at wearing it up. I rarely see anything that looks even remotely intricate.

ElusiveMuse
October 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Madora, I try but I am incapable of even the simplest braid. So I'm mostly stuck with plain sorts of buns like nautilus and lazy wraps. I do try and make up for it with pretty hair toys, though!

owlathena
October 19th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I do this every day. In every class, room, store. Like right now...I'm in a computer lab on campus, and I can say that I have the longest hair in the room (the is a girl a couple rows over with a good sized bun though...a possible competitor :p )

xoxophelia
October 19th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hmmm I would say I do notice when somebody has longer hair than I do but around here it isn't all that uncommon. Mine is only between waist and hip and I see a handful of women around with hair to their tailbones.

I'm not naturally very competitive with other women ... just with myself ^_^'

kidari
October 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I always enjoy seeing someone who takes pride in their long hair, but alas, that isn't the case 3/4ths of the time. It may be long but it is scraggly or badly damaged and that destroys the look.

It's always such a treat to see someone with hip or longer hair which is healthy and well kept. I just wish more long hairs were more adept at wearing it up. I rarely see anything that looks even remotely intricate.

I can't agree with this more. I love seeing long hair but most of the time I cringe when I noticed how badly damaged it is and I almost never see intricate updos with nice hairtoys, especially braided ones and ultra big buns!

spidermom
October 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Oh yes. Even though it's safely tucked into an up-do, I get a most unattractive inner gloat when I realize I've got the longest hair in the room.

moxamoll
October 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I do this too! Around here BSL length is fairly common, but you don't often see it longer than that - I'm moving into "unusual" territory. Yeah!!!

I love to see long healthy hair and cool updos, but I rarely see anything beyond a ponytail, basic bun or plain braid. I like sleep too much to get up early enough to do anything fancy with my hair on work days, but I'm looking forward to new toys arriving and time to play on the weekends. Maybe if I practice, I'll get fast enough at fancier things to wear to work. :cool:

Rhodugune
October 19th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I always keep the lookout for longhair sightings, both to see if my hair is longer... :o ...and 'cause it at the same time makes me happy to see other longhairs with beautiful hair. :cheese:

geminiwoman
October 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I definitely notice hair! At just past shoulders I am never the longest (I see bra-strap length all the time, and waist to even tailbone is not unheard of or too unusual around here) but I especially like to find women with my (or similar) hair type and color. It reminds me not to give up even when it's a hassle!

However my hair is thick enough that I'll probably have some pretty good size up-dos soon, and that'll be fun.ast shoulders I am never the longest (I see bra-strap length all the time, and waist to even tailbone is not unheard of or too unusual around here) but I especially like to find women with my (or similar) hai

geminiwoman
October 19th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Oh darn that got all dorked up sorry. Looks like I have to be here longer before I can edit?

turtlelover
October 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I don't really do this.....I think I might have when I was a teen though!

cowgirllong
October 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm always on the lookout for women with longer hair than me. My hair is nearly hip length now, and they are getting harder to find. Here, BSL is about as long as you can see on a regular basis. And you never see a fancy updo. Unless you are looking at my head on a lucky day. I would love to be strolling through the produce dept. and see a crown braid or a braided bun!

LornaDoone
October 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
There are quite a few teens at my church that have bsl hair, and two or three women are close to waist. But no comes close to my length!
I try not to be too prideful - it is church after all. ;)

pixiedust
October 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I get excited when I don't have the shortest hair in the room :l Ah, well, the time will come...

Maverick494
October 20th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I think most people who are actively growing their hair do this sometimes. That said I am able to appreciate longer hair on other people, in fact it inspires me. When I was 18 and I had over processed hair that was cut in a too sharp V I saw this girl with super shiny, virgin Classic length hair and instantly lost every urge to dye or chemically treat my hair again. It was from that time that I started toying with the idea of growing my hair long again as an adult (I used to have TB hair when I was a kid, but ended up cutting it all off in highschool).

That said I seriously suffer from Hairorexia :D When I was walking around with a friend I saw a girl with long hair and said to my friend "oh I want my hair that long," and she said "but your hair is already there! In fact, it's longer!" To me my hair is not long at all but somehow seeing that length on other people makes it different.

Alaia
October 20th, 2011, 04:04 AM
LOL

I did (and do) it gives me a warm glow when I have longer hair :lol:

I then feel really shallow :lol:

JamieLeigh
October 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM

^This. I couldn't have said it better! It's so rare to see long hair around here that isn't over-processed, straightened to death, or isn't completely in need of a good combing. :rolleyes: It's like a mini-party in my mind when I actually do see those people who are obviously caring for their hair well, and I always make an effort to give a compliment. (And sometimes the compliment is returned to me. :D)

I try to just admire. :crush: But I'm sure that on some subversive level, I'm also comparing my length and health to theirs.