PDA

View Full Version : Double Rose Buns

AprilElf
March 14th, 2008, 05:53 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=3349 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=3350

I've had some lovely comments in my album about this style and a request for a tutorial (capelli lunghi!) ... so here it is. :)

(Assuming prior knowledge of rope braids (http://dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/rope-braid/) and rose buns!)

*Part hair in the middle
*Make two small rope braids using front sections of hair - one on each side. Braid each to the end.
*Divide the rest of the hair into two (or extend the middle parting down the back of the head).
*Make two more rope braids at the back - one on the left and one on the right.
*Coil each of the back rope braids into a rose bun and secure with a hairstick - try and get them symmetrical!
*One at a time, bring the small front braids down the side of the head, and wrap around the rose bun from the middle to the outside, weaving under the hairsticks - be careful! In other words, wrap the left braid around the left bun clockwise; and wrap the right braid around the right bun anti-clockwise.

I think this would look better if you used a lacing technique with the front braids. You know, adding sections of hair from the side as you braid down. You could also try wrapping the small braids around the rose buns in a figure-8 style. ;)

Have fun!
:cookie:

Curlsgirl
March 14th, 2008, 05:59 AM
:eek:*THUD*:eek:

wolf girl
March 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
:agape:WOW! Gorgeous! I will definately be trying this.

Airmide
March 14th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Wow, gorgeous!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!! I totally understand the concept, but yours are just shockingly perfect! I'd love to see pictures of anyone else who tries this style!

Edited:
To the others who have been asking questions - I believe a rose bun is pretty similar to a regular bun, as far as I know the only difference is that it's done with a rope braid rather than a 3 strand (english?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I do a rope braid I don't do the twirling of each section all at once. I do it with each cross over. So it's like wind, wind, cross, wind, wind, cross (did that make any sense at all?) Also someone else, I wish I remembered who....could it have been Ccheck? gave a tip on rose buns that *really* helped me. When you wind it, sort of tighten it as you go. Otherwise mine will sort of unwind as I go.

Here's my attempt. I added the lace braid as you suggested and I think it worked pretty well. I also sorta wrapped a figure 8 with the small braids

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3113/100370723cg8.jpg

MemSahib
March 14th, 2008, 06:11 AM
It just that a single one of your double buns is a tad larger than my one and only bun. Baby fine hair compresses to nothing!

mellie
March 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Wow!!!! So cute!!!!! Please come over and do my hair!! :-)

atlantaz3
March 14th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Your hair is stunning so glossy! That style is lovely, very classic.

Silver & Gold
March 14th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Very nice!

I can't do many of these fancier updos with my current length but I sure do admire them! (Someday . . . someday.)

But when I see a new technique that I just can't wait to try until my hair grows longer, I simply take a smaller section of my hair, with less volume one doesn't need all the length. So even though I can't possibly wear my hair like this right now, I can apply some of this to a half-updo. Can't wait to try it out!

Merlin
March 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
:eek:*THUD*:eek:

:eek:Gurk! (which I claim is the new thud....) :eek:

That's, that's, that's....

Thud!

Ruadh
March 14th, 2008, 08:16 AM
So pretty. I'm all thumbs when it comes to braids and updos. Thanks for sharing.

FrannyG
March 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Oh my goodness! That's absolutely stunning! :flowers:

Xandergrammy
March 14th, 2008, 09:10 AM
This is truly gorgeous and if I ever master a rope braid, then I will definitely try this. It's lovely (and so is your hair!!)

Minx
March 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I can do really good rope braids... as for rope/rose buns I'm terrible.
I'd love to do this style. It's looks amazing. You have lovely hair.

Any tips on mastering the perfect rope/rose bun?

OR Cowgirl
March 14th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Really lovely! I hope you'll add it to the Articles section, if you haven't already!

Mariah

eadwine
March 14th, 2008, 11:42 AM
WHOA!! Gorgeous, that! :D

redbark
March 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Oh my God! *thud* :thud:

Alaia
March 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Stunningly gorgeous! Yours are perfect.

I don't think I know what a rose bun is but I'm sure as hell gonna try this anyway. Even though it won't work. Ha.

takethecake
March 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Very pretty, thanks!

CurlyNinja
March 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
That's lovely! I really have to try it!

Question for anyone: how is a rose bun different from a regular bun?

Wavelength
March 14th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Wow. Just... wow. I'm speechless with admiration.

Mirmy
March 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the instructions and the pic. It really does look amazing - I can't wait to give it a try!

awesometruffle
March 14th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Wow, I don't think I have nearly enough hair for that, but that is beautiful! I'm off to check out your other pictures :)

Btw, do the front braids stay with no help except from the hairsticks?

Elle
March 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
What a beautiful updo! They do look like roses! :flower:

GlassEyes
March 14th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Wow, those are amazingly pretty. O_O

chloeishere
March 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM
WOW, that is GORGEOUS! And your hair is so shiny!
:thud:

eresh
March 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ooooh they look so lovely!!
I'm bookmarking this thread!

Áine
March 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Absolutely magnificent! The health of your nice dark hair really enhances the look of the rose buns.

Another hairstyle for me to try this weekend, I'm excited to see how it looks on me.

SchnauzerMom
March 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Wow, those rose buns are gorgeous, very elvish looking!

joyinc
March 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM
that looks amazing! (and i'm only looking at it from my cell phone!) i cant wait to try it!

TammySue
March 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Oh my goodness - thank you! I just posted in my Blog about learning the rose bun!! :cheese:

Neoma
March 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
OMG, that's stunning. And your hair color is glorious.

Misso
March 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Inspiring!!!Hair and updo.

darkwaves
March 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Very pretty! Thanks for sharing this with us. (With me, I mean... I will return to this page when my hair is longer...)

capelli lunghi
March 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
OH MY!! Thank you so very much!!! The instructions are very easy to understand!! I will try this out as soon as I can!..

You might also want to submit this as an article!

Thank you so much again!!!

coppercurls
March 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
:cheese:Wow! That is one of the most amazing & beautiful styles I have seen. The color & shine that your hair has is just amazing!

Starr
March 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
What a beautiful style! Thanks for the tut. I'm going to try it out sometime this weekend.

AprilElf
March 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Oh man - many thanks, you guys, for all the great comments.
It's lovely to come home from working all day and reading all the feedback. :D

Airmide - 'shockingly perfect'
LOL! It was beginner's luck, I'm telling you! ;)

Silver & Gold - 'I can apply some of this to a half-updo. Can't wait to try it out!'
That would look so cute. I'd love to see it if you do try it.

Minx and Alaia and CurlyNinja-
I couldn't find any instructions for a rose bun to link to in my original post. Maybe someone else will have one ...? It's actually no different to a regular bun in theory, it's just different in the way it looks. :)
Ummm, I feel strange giving tips on the rose bun when I've only so recently learned to do them (credit to Smokering for giving me inspiration to try them)!
But two things that might be helpful:
*securing the root of the rope braid with a hairband before you start braiding makes it easier to braid, and also gives you a base to wrap the bun around,
*and to form the bun, gently twist the braid in the same direction you braided it (so gently tighten the twist, don't unwind) and it will coil back on itself naturally, follow your hair's lead and continue wrapping the braid around in the same direction.

OR Cowgirl - 'I hope you'll add it to the Articles section, if you haven't already!'
capelli lunghi - 'You might also want to submit this as an article!'
Well then, maybe I will! :Star:

awesometruffle - 'Btw, do the front braids stay with no help except from the hairsticks?'
They are pinned to the buns after you've wrapped them around (or during ... whatever!)

Thanks again to all.
Hope those of you who try it out get some awesome compliments! :D

Amnell
March 15th, 2008, 02:51 AM
:thud: this is a gorgeous style! Thank you for the tutorial

MusingFrog
March 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
When I do a rope braid I don't do the twirling of each section all at once. I do it with each cross over. So it's like wind, wind, cross, wind, wind, cross (did that make any sense at all?) Also someone else, I wish I remembered who....could it have been Ccheck? gave a tip on rose buns that *really* helped me. When you wind it, sort of tighten it as you go. Otherwise mine will sort of unwind as I go.

Yeah, that was me! :) I'm actually planning on getting an updated version of those instructions (rope/rose bun) up in the article section this week. Even more detailed than the last ones to combat a few questions I got about the previous ones.

And as for your bun...wow! I think I can say that is the prettiest bun I've ever seen!

auntdaisy
March 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Holy moly! Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, gives me yet another reason to just keep growing :)

xrosiex
March 15th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Your hair is beatiful ! I think I'm gonna try this updo. Hope my hair is long enough.

Juanita
March 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Thank is so pretty. One of your buns is thicker than my hair. I can do a rope braid though:)
cheers
Juanita

Poolsoflaughter
March 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah, MAJOR hair envy! That style is just beautiful.

cuddledumplin
March 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Beautiful!

Gumball
March 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I don't know what to say besides incredible! Wow that turned out amazingly well. I'm awestruck.

fae
March 16th, 2008, 02:39 AM
That style looks stunning on you.

I am rope braid retarded. When I do it, it looks like I have just wound my hair around my fingers. :(

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Thank you, lovelies, for the comments. :love:
I can't wait to see photos of you all having a go!

betsala
May 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
this is my new favorite style!!!

Culdayne
May 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Wow! That is simply marvelous...I can't wait for the day when I can do a style like that. :)

lookingglass
May 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I love rope rose buns! They are my new fave. Thanks for the tutorial!

soleluna
May 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
wow! thanks for the tutorial! will try it!

LifeisAdventure
May 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Grogeous! Although I always get confused with rope braids and usually have to quit after the sixth time I've messed them up. Even so, this is worth a try!! :)

jojo
May 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
holy %$&* that looks good, wow im impressed

embee
May 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Wow! I don't think my arms will work long enough for me to even do one such bun... and it would be smaller than either of yours anyway. Gosh, that is beautiful!

lilypilly
May 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
oh I can't wait to get enough posts/approved so I can see! Mind you, I don't think my hair will be nearly long enough. But it's something to aim for!

Tashomani
May 13th, 2008, 10:28 PM
This is simply the MOST fantastic hair style I do believe I have EVER seen! Way to Go.......

krt1013
May 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Beautiful. If only...

Angellen
May 14th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Oh, wow. I think I'll wear this one on Friday, if my hands don't fail me... *knock-on-wood*

Anathema
July 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Absolutely stunning!

I'm curious though.. How long did/does it take for you to make? My arms ache just when looking at the pictures. :/

midnighttrain
September 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That's one of the most gorgeous hair styles I've ever seen. Thanks for the instructions, I think I'll be giving this one a try or three to see if I can pull it off.

sexyjacksparrow
September 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Wow - that's gorgeous! I couldn't do two buns - my single bun is tiny weeny, so how teeny would two be?!

sherigayle
September 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Wow, that is stunning. I don't think my hair is long enough to pull it off yet, but I can't wait to try it. Maybe I'll start with one though.

Xandergrammy
September 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Holy smokes! This is one gorgeous updo. Now I really have to learn how to do a rope braid. :inlove:

DarkChocolate
September 5th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Those bun are so cool:)

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 02:45 PM
*thud*

Oh my gosh, how STUNNING are you?! That dark, glossy hair and those GORGEOUS rope braids...

*thud thud*

I WISH I could do rope braids, mine always look a bit deranged! Someday, SOMEDAY I'll have the length to try a style like that, again (plotting, me? NAH!). Thanks for the GREAT tutorial. And for sharing your inspirational, lovely hair with us!

CaityBear
September 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
That's so pretty. I don't think I'd have enough hair to make it stay though...and my hair isn't too thick so they'd be tiny little rose buns. lol And I have yet to get a rope braid to stay without come terribly loose.

midnighttrain
September 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Ok I tried it out but I don't have cooperation of computer usb and camera lately so maybe someone at my sister's birthday party will take a picture for me. It's a little messy looking and I feel like I put the sticks in at a weird angle maybe, but I guess I need more practice. :)

kunibob
September 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM
So beautiful! I can't wait until my hair is long enough to pull this off!

Forlorn Reverie
September 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
That is probably the most beautiful hair do I've ever seen. Thanks for the tutorial! In a year or so I might have enough length to try it!

Tressie
September 5th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Golly! If my hair were as thick as that......maybe, but maybe...........one bun???? BEAUTIFUL!!!

LydiaMarie
September 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
:thudpile: Wow , absolutely beautiful .!

midnighttrain
September 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Having trouble getting things to stay put. :(
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/therainpainter/Picture018.jpg

twilight_faerie
September 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Holy cow! Those are amazing! I'd totally attempt it if I had any chance whatsoever of getting it to look decent... :-/

kwaniesiam
September 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I would totally do that if I had enough hair, that is gorgeous!

ArienEllariel
January 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
My hair is way to short to do this, but that style looks beautiful by the way and I look forward to the day when I can try it. I tried making my first rose buns today (you inspired me) and though they're pitifully small, I can at least say I know how to make them now. ^^ I figure I should get in the practice now so that when I have long hair I can do a lot of different updos. :)

MissManda
January 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
So shiny and lovely! I actually tried a similar style the other day, actually. I wouldn't mind trying this one when my hair gets longer.

peachrose
January 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Wow, looks awesome! I like how it is still professional looking despite being a twin style. Well done.

Aquamarine
January 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Wow! Your hair is so shiny and lovely! Your rose buns are very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial.:)

Queen Olympias
January 31st, 2010, 09:05 AM
These hair styles are absolutely gorgeous! I cannot wait to learn how to do them (though it will take me many many attempts, I am sure. I am so impressed! Gorgeous!

lapushka
January 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM
This is a great tutorial (in German) about how to do a rosebun. Some people were wondering about this, so...
http://www.youtube.com/user/Kupferzopf#p/u/7/WFJzWyWVE-8

hannagrrl
February 7th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Very nice. :)

IcarusBride
March 2nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
Thanks for this tutorial! And thanks to airmide for sharing your photos, I couldn't really imagine the finished result until I saw yours. Lovely!

Xandergrammy
March 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Oh boy, do I love this style! Now all I have to do is learn how to do a rope braid!

Lacus Autumni
March 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM
Wow, that's amazing! I had forgotten what lovely things people can do with their hair. Very beautiful and inspiring. :)

JuneBride
September 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
So beautiful!

MaryLA
September 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Wow! The rose bun is such a beautiful bun! Wish my hair was longer...

mommyowl
September 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Wow that is beautiful.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Wow, AprilElf and Airmide, your hairstyles are just gorgeous! I wish I could do this too...:)

Joliebaby
September 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Very cute!! Now I just need like a foot more hair.

LHC100
January 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Perhaps because I'm new, I can't see any illustrations in the OP. But I can see Airmide's photo, thank goodness, and I appreciate her posting (however it was) so that it was visible.

The instructions were simple and straightforward, however, so I could pretty much get the idea from them, alone. This is beautiful. I'll have to see if my hair is long enough to do it - I hope so! Thanks.

CarpeDM
January 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
WOW that is soooo pretty!!

arc691
January 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies/cheerleader_5.gif
Wow, what a beautiful idea! Your hair is so lovely!

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies/YayWD.gif

LoveMyLongHair
January 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I am just still sitting here in awe......I have picked my jaw up countless times...........

:thudpile:

Aliped
January 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
These are absolutely FANTASTIC!

I do have one question though. Do you use an elastic at the beginning of the braid as well as the end, or just the end?

I find that braided buns hold a lot better with a starting elastic, but I'm worried about damage....

WynneWear
January 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
This is such a beautiful style. Thanks also for the links to the video(s).

Rabya-Khadija
January 19th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Ahh, gorgeous! I don't think I could manage it... must learn to make more complicated styles :D

Cirafly24
January 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Oh my gosh that looks fantastic!

I decided to try this today...so if anyone was wondering how this style would look with ii hair instead of iii, here you go! (I also made the accent braids *much* smaller, because I don't have that much hair!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/DSCF1769.jpg

It wasn't that difficult...the hardest part was trying to get them symmetrical.

milagro
January 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
It's very beautiful! :flower: I wish my hair were long enough for it!

Johanna
February 1st, 2011, 05:59 AM
These are really gorgeous. I'd done the single version of this before and had no idea that it was called a rose bun.