PDA

View Full Version : Straight hair without heat

candycandace
October 18th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hey there. I was just wondering if anyone had any methods that can acheive straight hair without the heat. I have slightly wavy hair and sometimes, it can be pretty frustrating. Any ideas? :/

CurlyCap
October 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm so interested to hear what people say.

Have you ever tried wrapping your hair (you wrap your hair around your head like a turban and sleep with a sleeping cap or shower cap). Youtube "silk wrap" and you'll see how they brush their hair.

Also (sorry for lack of links), people have been posting that conditioners with more 'cones lead to straighter dry hair.

For me, GIANT rollers knock out a lot of the curls. It would probably would make Type 2 hair pretty straight. The downside is I find they take forever to dry. But UltraBelle said she uses the Caruso system for smoothing and it works pretty well.

/random comments.

candycandace
October 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you for the tips CurlyCap! :blossom: I'll check out youtube right now! Hm, cones you say? Maybe I should go pick up a cone laden conditoner. I'm currently using a VO5 one, and as far as I know, it contains no cones.

GlassWidow
October 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM
There's a nice wrapping tutorial on this thread...and the title makes me giggle: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57807 ETA: it looks like the youtube video is gone, but the thread is still there. Sorry!

I've seen information on various George Michael threads about jumbo rollers for straightening, and I'm sure there are several others, too. I know I've seen people mention orange juice cans (like the frozen concentrate ones).

At any rate, you CAN straighten without heat. :)

Diamond.Eyes
October 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have pretty straight hair naturally, but I've heard that oiling your hair can weigh down your waves. :D

candycandace
October 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone! And yeah, I've notcied my hair not being so crazy and wavy after applying coconut oil to it. Maybe I will try the wrapping methods though. I miss straight hair. :/

ddiana1979
October 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Heavy cones make my hair straighter. . . Pantene conditioner, specifically. Also, if I brush my hair with the Tangle Teezer while it's damp (which is technically a no-no, but I still do it occasionally if I want very straight hair for a particular look), and let it air dry that way without moving around much, it dries very straight.

kidari
October 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
^^ I do something very similar. My hair is more straight than anything so it's easier for me but if your hair is only slightly wavy try using really cone-heavy shampoo and conditioner and then let it air dry when it's dripping wet then when it's more damp and dry start gently brushing out the curls once in a while as if you were doing a blow dry. Keep brushing or combing it straight once in a while as it air dries and if you add some oil or serum it will help weight it down more if you need it.

aisha.christine
October 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
if I brush my hair with the Tangle Teezer while it's damp (which is technically a no-no, but I still do it occasionally if I want very straight hair for a particular look), and let it air dry that way without moving around much, it dries very straight.

The Tangle Teezer knocks out any curls I have going for the day, dry or wet (but especially wet)

lw8666
October 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I have slightly wavy hair. I spray my clean hair with water until slightly damp, brush and wrap my hair and clip as I wrap hair around my head. I then wrap a silk cloth over my clipped hair. An hour or two and my hair I straightened. Works well for me!
There are many videos on youtube.
And these are the clips I use from sallys. I used about 12 of them.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/duckbill-clips/SLNCAR17,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-02

candycandace
October 18th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Well I used to work at a beauty store and this lady who worked there who had long beautiful hair told me never to use Pantene because all of the silicone in it suffocates your hair. No idea how true that was, but I took her work for it considering how beautiful her hair was :D. Hm :hmm:, so brushing your hair wet is bad, how come? I don't think I'd be able to detangle my hair if it was dry. DX
^^ I do something very similar. My hair is more straight than anything so it's easier for me but if your hair is only slightly wavy try using really cone-heavy shampoo and conditioner and then let it air dry when it's dripping wet then when it's more damp and dry start gently brushing out the curls once in a while as if you were doing a blow dry. Keep brushing or combing it straight once in a while as it air dries and if you add some oil or serum it will help weight it down more if you need it.

ilovelonghair
October 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Someone on here uses elastic bands around the ponytail (high ponytail) all the way down on damp hair. Not sure how you get the indentations of those bands out of your hair though.

candycandace
October 18th, 2011, 09:06 PM
That seems clever, but the indentations might make ones hair looked crimped, no? :hmm:
Someone on here uses elastic bands around the ponytail (high ponytail) all the way down on damp hair. Not sure how you get the indentations of those bands out of your hair though.

candycandace
October 18th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Thank you for the link! :D Would you be able to post a video link? I'm having trouble finding oune. :/
I have slightly wavy hair. I spray my clean hair with water until slightly damp, brush and wrap my hair and clip as I wrap hair around my head. I then wrap a silk cloth over my clipped hair. An hour or two and my hair I straightened. Works well for me!
There are many videos on youtube.
And these are the clips I use from sallys. I used about 12 of them.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/duckbill-clips/SLNCAR17,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair14-02

Sookie
October 19th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I have noticed that proteins straighten my hair. Especially when i use placenta.