PDA

View Full Version : Not showing your ears?

Shona
October 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hello everyone!

I know most people on here love to wear protective updo's and keep there hair up and out of harms way. They all look beautiful, like the lazy wrap bun! I love hair sticks and oooh I love all hair toys!

But... I hate my ears, always have, and always will. So I have never left my house with my hair up, I won't apply for a job that means I would have to wear my hair up at all. I don't show my ears to my boyfriend, to my mum, to anyone! No they are not hideously deformed, I just hate them, and I am really trying to be so careful with my hair, but I am so jealous of the people who can just not wash there hair and stick it up in a beautiful bun! So my question is... have any of you long hairs found any type of messy bun (or any updo for that matter) that doesn't show your ears :-)? Any suggestions at all will be amazing! Thank you

Madora
October 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Hello everyone!

I know most people on here love to wear protective updo's and keep there hair up and out of harms way. They all look beautiful, like the lazy wrap bun! I love hair sticks and oooh I love all hair toys!

But... I hate my ears, always have, and always will. So I have never left my house with my hair up, I won't apply for a job that means I would have to wear my hair up at all. I don't show my ears to my boyfriend, to my mum, to anyone! No they are not hideously deformed, I just hate them, and I am really trying to be so careful with my hair, but I am so jealous of the people who can just not wash there hair and stick it up in a beautiful bun! So my question is... have any of you long hairs found any type of messy bun (or any updo for that matter) that doesn't show your ears :-)? Any suggestions at all will be amazing! Thank you

Well, depending on your length, what you could do is gently draw back the hair over the ears so that it hides them, then gather the hair back to the top of the crown and braid it in a bun or cinnamon twist bun.

I've seen one or two photos from the pre-Civil war period that featured this style. You might want to do a Google Image search for Civil War hairstyles.

spidermom
October 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I was thinking the same as Madora. I think a lot of times, the sides were left down, the bun was formed, and then the hair was arranged over the ears and pinned into place.

Madora
October 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Here is a link to a photo of Olivia deHaviland in the film The Heiress which shows a covered ear style:

http://www.flixster.com/photos/the-heiress-olivia-de-havilland-in-the-heiress-11460741

If the link doesn't work, just Google Image search The Heiress movie

One other link:

http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/clothing_and_hair/1850s_hair_women.php

Cainwen
October 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
This website gives a pretty good explanation of the hair styles Madora and Spidermom are talking about. You should be able to at least fudge them at your length I think. http://myshasta.info/suesgoodco/newcivilians/womenswear/hairstyles.htm

Hotrox
October 18th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I read something about Kate Huson not liking her 'sticky out ears' once but refusing to have them surgically altered as recommended so she could have a big Hollywood career.

I did a quick google image result of her and she often wears her hair up but always has her ears covered - a quick example

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmf1VpwMjpF6Gyt9-7DfiDHP782ubdXGFWjqNPS7a3Y24xu_zl

Do an image search for her, there are lots of good, modern up-do examples

By the way - I'm sure your ears are not as bad as you think, and that you wouldn't apply for a job because of them does make me worry a bit. I'm sending lots of ear love at ya :D

slz
October 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Do you feel you need to hide all of the ears, or just the upper part would be enough ? Because with any kind of bun you can pull the hair over the upper part of the ears after you're done bunning. In the end, looks like this :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2389&pictureid=59288
Would it be enough for you ?
It is doable with most of buns or updos, I always do this because although I couldn't care less about showing my ears, I can't stand the feeling of hair tuck behind the ears, and I don't know, I feel too "exposed" with my ears out there (and it feels cold. And since I can do some quite heavy skin picking at the hairline behind my ears at times, well, I need to hide it).

geminiwoman
October 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM
You could also try some kind of cute, colorful scarf as a headband and use that to cover part of your ears.

But I'm sure they are not as bad as you think! I've got a good friend who is all self-conscious about her toes, won't wear sandals even at the beach. I've seen her toes, and they are perfectly normal! I'll bet nobody even notices your ear, just like nobody would notice anything amiss about my friends toes :)

Shona
October 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
My ears arn't as bad i think they are, i know that! i just HATE them! i don't go swimming with friends, because covering your ears is very hard with wet hair! and when it's windy! gosh, i hate hating my ears, ha! they just stick out a little! the thought of pulling all my hair back into a bun with my ears exposed makes me feel sick! i wear my hair in a bun around the house, but when i hear a family member come in i put my hair down post haste! i would so love to wear my hair up! i've searched around today and see there arrre some nice updo's that don't show ears, but i feel they are all abit messy looking, bed-head like, but i know i can't avoid that in my situation :-) hopefully i get over this fear of showing my ears! thanks everyone for your advice! p.s i've never shared my fear of my ears with ANYONE before, so this is a good step :-)