View Full Version : 3rd anniversary of making my curls happy :)

PurpleAshes
October 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Well it's time for my third anniversary thread. Today, 3 years ago, I did a big chop, never went back to a salon, never straightened my hair again and decided I would embrace my beautiful curls. I'm still on the journey of becoming "exotic" (to me that means classic lenght curly hair).

Last year I didn't make a thread because I was very dissapointed with my lenght gain. As you already know, curly hair shrinks a LOT, which means that even if my hair is the longest it has ever been when stretched, it still hasn't reached a desirable lenght when dry. What I definitely am is happy with it's health. I got rid of ALL the damage, which makes me extremely happy.

For comparison purposes, this is my first year anniv thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37160

Now, on to what everyone wants to see, the pics!

Wet lenght
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116481

Pretty curlies
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116482

Dry lenght + stretched lenght. See how long it actually is? :(
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116483

Front. See how ALL the straight pieces are gone? I'm very proud about that. Also, you can see all the weight I've gained. Please don't put much attention into that :o
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116484

Extras: My two purple streaks.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116486

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116485

I know the lenght shot kind of sucks, so don't worry, when DBF gets home, I'll force him to take a nice shot of my hair and I'll post it here :)

Thanks for reading :)

jojo
October 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Oh my what a difference, your curls are so beautiful and I love the purple bits very pretty.

jujube
October 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I love the curls! They are so well-defined and just beautiful. Congrats on 3 years.

kitschy
October 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I love your curls! Your hair is so shiny.

One of these days you'll reach "critical length" where your length will pull your curls out somewhat - It'll seem like you grew four inches overnight.

jaine
October 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Very pretty!! Did you cut away the last of the damage or did it just re-curl on its own?

Aqua Gal
October 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Your curls are unreal...absolutely gorgeous. That is some beautiful length. We've got some 3cs in the family, so I can really appreciate how long your curls are.

chelseamichelle
October 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Beautiful!

auroraclio
October 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!

Slinks
October 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
wow the stretched bit is long, boing .. lol .. you do have very pretty and gorgeous healthy hair now :-)

Juicematic
October 18th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Your curls are so pretty!

PurpleAshes
October 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
jujube, chelseamichelle, auroraclio, thanks so much for your beautiful compliments!

Oh my what a difference, your curls are so beautiful and I love the purple bits very pretty.

Thanks! I love the purple bits too :D Before I retouched the purple, I ended up having tri-color streaks: green, blond and purple. I liked it a lot, but I'm not very fond of blond on my skin color.

One of these days you'll reach "critical length" where your length will pull your curls out somewhat - It'll seem like you grew four inches overnight.

Ahhh, I definitely know what you mean. I don't know if it's noticeable, but the hair around my purple bits are actually 3a, so every once in a while they reach that critical point, while the rest of my head is 3b AND 3c in the back. So go ahead and picture that downside V hemline I end up with :/. Every few months I trim only the sides to even it up. I'm still waiting for the back to catch up :)

Very pretty!! Did you cut away the last of the damage or did it just re-curl on its own?

Ever since my hair reached the "pony tail lenght" I've cut little damage pieces here and there. The only part of my hair that didn't get as much trimming was the front, so some of the front has reformed and some it was cut :)

Your curls are unreal...absolutely gorgeous. That is some beautiful length. We've got some 3cs in the family, so I can really appreciate how long your curls are.

Wow, thank you for such a lovely comment! I really like it when people actually know how much of a long curly hair it takes to reach my actual lenght. Most people don't believe it. Some actually mock me because DBF's hair looks longer than mine, while they don't know mine is actually longer (not that I mind who has longer hair, it's the mockery that bothers me). BTW, his anniv thread is coming soon too :cheese:

pepperminttea
October 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Your curls are gorgeous! That is a lot of shrinkage, but when it means you have curls like that... wow. :thud:

dementedkitten
October 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Booooiiiiiiinnnnnnggg!! Wonderful!

JaneinMarch
October 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
OOhh! I love the pretty curlies!! Thank you for the update!

Lissandria
October 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I love love love the purple streak and your curls are just so gorgeous. Hope it grows quickly for you this year :)

spidermom
October 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Wowwowwow! Those are some gorgeous curlies. I'm glad you decided to embrace them.

McFearless
October 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM
You look beautiful! I love your hair. I went through the exact same transition. its so good to be free from the straight ends:D

JamieLeigh
October 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
What beautiful curls! I'm always so happy to see curls being embraced, rather than straightened away! :crush: And Happy 3rd Anniversary!!

Roscata
October 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM
You have beautiful curls! :)

luluj
October 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!:thud:

BrightEyes
October 18th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Wow, your hair is gorgeous!!! Your curls are so pretty and shiny. I really like the purple streak too.

Here's to another year of great progress:cheese:

PurpleAshes
October 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Slinks, Juicematic, pepperminttea, dementedkitten, JaneinMarch, Roscata, luluj, you are all so sweet! Gosh I love the LHC. Always so supportive!

To those who mentioned Boing, I do that a lot actually, hahahah, pretty much all the time!:D

I love love love the purple streak and your curls are just so gorgeous. Hope it grows quickly for you this year :)

I hope so too! Thanks for the nice wishes!

Wowwowwow! Those are some gorgeous curlies. I'm glad you decided to embrace them.

Oooh I'm glad too! Straightening my hair wasn't only preventing me from achieving a life long goal (the "exoticism" :p), but also was a pain in the bum!

You look beautiful! I love your hair. I went through the exact same transition. its so good to be free from the straight ends:D

Ahh tell me about it! It's a hard process and requires lots of patience, but it's so worth it. I'd love to see sdome pics of your progress too :D

What beautiful curls! I'm always so happy to see curls being embraced, rather than straightened away! :crush: And Happy 3rd Anniversary!!

Thank you! I say variety brings beauty to the world. Why would curlies want to smash down theirs?!

Anyway, I remembered something my dad said while drunk a few weeks ago "Oooh, your hair! Just like ramen soup!" xD

jasper
October 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I really have curl envy now. I am another who is glad you embraced curliness! It seems like straightening curls like that would be fighting against the beauty of your hair.

PurpleAshes
October 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
DBF's home now, so here's the promised pic :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2343&pictureid=116499

BTW, my hemline is really unpredicatble. Sometimes it's straight, sometimes some bits get curlier than others and end up all crazy Xd And when the sides get heavier, I have an inverted V.

blondie9912
October 18th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Your curls are so defined and not frizzy AT ALL! Wonderful that you don't have any frizz, because I know that's something those with curly hair struggle with. Congrats! :D

NotInPortland
October 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Wow I just LOVE your curls!! Your hair is beautiful PurpleAshes :)

lacefrost
October 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Your hair so beautiful! Looks touchably soft. I always love looking at pictures of your hair. You look gorgeous!

Lostsoule77
October 18th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I love your curls and the purple streaks! Your hair is amazing and you've seemed to have gained quite a bit of growth while your curls were repairing themselves. Sounds good all around. :) Congratulations on your third anniversary. :)

torrilin
October 19th, 2011, 07:53 AM
So pretty, and such a good illustration of why I think curlies should measure stretched. Stretched, you're well past waist. Unstretched? Still shoulder. But that curly spring doesn't mean your hair handles like it is shoulder length. The length is there, and needs careful management.

And you're clearly managing it well! The condition looks to be incredible.

freckles
October 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
congratulations! (in the right thread this time ;)) the close up of your curls is an amazing photo!

Debra83
October 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
WOW :thud::bottomsup::thudpile::bigeyes::thumbsup:

Yozhik
October 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Stunning photos and wonderful progress!

I love your curls and am in awe of the length that they are! :agape:

Congratulations on your 3rd anniversary. :flowers:

infinity_girl
October 19th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Your hair is beautiful! What it lacks in length it makes up for in being such a lovely curly texture! Enjoy it.

gibsongirl71
October 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Gorgeous curls! I love way curly hair. It is very exotic and so pretty. It looks very healthy too. Good for you on your progress. :-)

CurlyMopTop
October 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wow! Those curls are to die for! I can see a huge difference in health and length! :D I think that your shrinkage is amazing too! Like, hidden treasure. Your hair is truely beautiful. :)

racrane
October 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Your hair is beautiful. :)

SpinDance
October 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Oh Wow! PurpleAshes, your hair is amazing! I bet it is really fun playing with those springy coils. :) Congratulations on such beautiful progress and on your 3rd anniversary.

PurpleAshes
October 19th, 2011, 02:42 PM
jasper, NotInPortland, freckles, Debra83, Yozhik, infinity_girl, gibsongirl71, racrane, thank you all soo much!

Your curls are so defined and not frizzy AT ALL! Wonderful that you don't have any frizz, because I know that's something those with curly hair struggle with. Congrats! :D

I do have frizz when I don't follow the right technique or apply the wrong leave in. Took a while figuring it out, and I'm always improving it. Sadly, my megaperfect leave-in cond changed it's formula and the new one isn't so good, so I'll embark in the process of finding the perfect leave-in ponce again. Thank you for the comment!

Your hair so beautiful! Looks touchably soft. I always love looking at pictures of your hair. You look gorgeous!

Aw, I had no idea you liked seeing pics of my hair, yours is wonderful too!

I love your curls and the purple streaks! Your hair is amazing and you've seemed to have gained quite a bit of growth while your curls were repairing themselves. Sounds good all around. :) Congratulations on your third anniversary. :)

Sort of wish I had more lenght, but thinking about what you said makes me realize it's not bad at all. I gained lenght and health at the same time, that rocks :D

So pretty, and such a good illustration of why I think curlies should measure stretched. Stretched, you're well past waist. Unstretched? Still shoulder. But that curly spring doesn't mean your hair handles like it is shoulder length. The length is there, and needs careful management.

And you're clearly managing it well! The condition looks to be incredible.

Yup, if it's not treated like the strtched lenght, that lenght will go away by splitting/damage/etc :)

Wow! Those curls are to die for! I can see a huge difference in health and length! :D I think that your shrinkage is amazing too! Like, hidden treasure. Your hair is truely beautiful. :)

Oooh, I had never seen it from that perspective. I always admired those people who have very long hair but keep it in buns, as a mystery. Now I have a mystery of my own :cheese:

Oh Wow! PurpleAshes, your hair is amazing! I bet it is really fun playing with those springy coils. :) Congratulations on such beautiful progress and on your 3rd anniversary.

Yup, I do it all the time. Thanks!

thelittlestdoc
October 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Your hair looks so glossy and healthy, now! Love your curl definition :)

longhairedwolf
October 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for letting me know that I posted in an old thread by mistake. Good to see that your hair is even more beautiful 2 years later!

arielįgua
October 20th, 2011, 02:55 AM
wha sorry for posting in the wrong thread!
Now, i'm in the right one, I DO think your hair is beautiful, though it shrinks a lot!!
Sometimes i wish I had curls, I have a passion for them. I love to see the curlies around LHC, it inspires me so much.
So congratulation on your work!! You're doing wonderfully!
I know I'm a wavy, but on special occasions I love to put some mousse and dry with a diffuser (I know that's all bad, but it's once or two in a year that I do it). I can actually get soft curls like Katie Melua. xD I only do this because I'm curly envy!! :(

zirena
October 20th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for leading me here! Your hair looks fantastic :) Great progress, keep it up!

ktani
October 20th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Your progress is wonderful and your curls are absolutely gorgeous!

I do not understand why there are people who think that curls cannot rock.

You are an inspiration to anyone who wants to try and achieve what you have done!

Khiwanean
October 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Gorgeous curls! Those purple streaks are lovely too.

lapushka
October 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Amazing curls! Congrats!

Fufu
October 21st, 2011, 01:04 PM
extremely pretty curls :)

krissykins
October 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Your hair looks AMAZING :thud:

Congrats on reaching your anniversary! Here's to many more happy years of growing! :cheer:

Rocket22
October 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
You must have the most perfect curls ever!

Annibelle
October 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Beautiful! :)

supercupcakexx
October 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wow, your hair looks so gorgeous now!

girlcat36
October 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
WOW! Your curls are so pretty, and NO FRIZZ! I am envious; I struggle with frizz. Nice work taking such good care of your hair.