PDA

View Full Version : Ways to relieve stress?

Aimskylove
October 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Help!
I am stressing big time and although I know I cannot completely avoid it I need to find ways to help it before all of my hair falls out! lol
In two months I will be moving with my fiance to Hawaii which is 4650 miles away from my current home (fl). We finally bought our one way tickets and since then the stress level has been on high! I have so much to do before leaving. Packing, selling my car....etc. I am also stressing because I have to leave my dog behind and I broke down crying the other night when thinking about it. She is going to be 12 yrs old and a trip like that can cause too much stress on her. I decided I need to not be selfish and leave her here (fl) with my mom and my sister. I have had her since I was 11 years old and I am going to miss her so much. :SIGH:

Any advice on how to help my stress? I need it :(

Madora
October 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry you're going to have to leave your dog behind. That's awful hard. Be sure that you type up everything concerning her needs and little quirks so that her new caretakers will be fully up to speed.

As for the main move, be sure that all boxes being shipped have your new address prominently and clearly displayed somewhere on the carton..and inside it too. Don't skimp on whimpy boxes. Buy something that is good and sturdy.

If you have anything of sentimental value - or valuable - make a video and document it. Also have all receipts for same where you can put your paws on it immediately.

Wrap your breakables like they were going to Antarctica. Mark the outside of the carton with a brief description of the contents so you're not hunting thru myriads of boxes when the general unpacking starts.

Have one box dedicated to stuff you need to wear/use right away. Cooking utensils, etc. Personal Items. The sooner you're back among familiar things (well, sort of) the better.

You might want to number each box, take an inventory of the contents, then keep that list handy. Then you'll know that the sheets and bedding were stored in box 3 and not box 12 and you can get them immediately w/o a lot of searching.

Try color coding the boxes to make them easier to find: blue for bedding/sheets/drapes, red for kitchenwares, green for clothing/shoes, etc.

As you pack each item, write down what went into which box and keep the list handy, in case you have to retrieve the article for some reason.

If there is anything you can do w/o, donate it to a charity.

Be sure that all your medical records are up to date and that you have the contact numbers for all your physicians.

If there is anything you especially like to use (hair stuff:)) you might consider buying it before you go. Prices in Hawaii can be steep.

Good luck!

ps. A good hair massage is a great way to help reduce stress.

jaine
October 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
That does sound like a lot of stress!

But if you had your heart set on taking your dog with you, there are ways to do that...

Like dog cruises...I don't know how much this costs, though. I just googled it.
http://www.dogtravelcompany.net/Cruise___Ship.html

Madora
October 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
That does sound like a lot of stress!

But if you had your heart set on taking your dog with you, there are ways to do that...

Like dog cruises...I don't know how much this costs, though. I just googled it.
http://www.dogtravelcompany.net/Cruise___Ship.html

I think there is a ban in Hawaii about bringing in pets.

luckyduck
October 18th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have moved many times! One thing that I began to do, was to put a number 1 on all 6 sides of the boxes I wanted to unpack right away,(kitchen stuff) a number 2 on the boxes that could wait a day or two,( books, pictures?) and a 3 on the boxes that could go into storage ( out of season clothes) . That way if someone is helping you, all the boxes labeled 3 can go into the garage, number 2 boxes can go into a spare room, that leaves you with only the number 1 boxes to deal with.
Have your bedsheets in a number 1 boxe clearly marked, cause that is the first thing you need to do when you get there!

Good luck!

jaine
October 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM

You could be right...I only googled it for a few minutes. I saw something about a 4-month quarantine if the pet doesn't meet certain requirements, but I didnt dig deeper to see what those requirements are.

Astrophil
October 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM

Hawaii is a rabies-free state, so they're really strict about people bringing in animals from other places, but it can be done. The process involves a complicated schedule of rabies vaccinations and blood tests, and I think even so the animal would still need to be quarantined once it arrives in Hawaii (at the owner's expense, of course). The quarantine time is something awful, 3 months maybe? It's a lot to put an old dog through...

I left my dog with family in NY when I moved to Scotland. It's so sad to leave a pet behind! My dog seems to recognize my voice when I skype with her, the precious darling.

Aimskylove
October 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I'm sorry you're going to have to leave your dog behind. That's awful hard. Be sure that you type up everything concerning her needs and little quirks so that her new caretakers will be fully up to speed.

As for the main move, be sure that all boxes being shipped have your new address prominently and clearly displayed somewhere on the carton..and inside it too. Don't skimp on whimpy boxes. Buy something that is good and sturdy.

If you have anything of sentimental value - or valuable - make a video and document it. Also have all receipts for same where you can put your paws on it immediately.

Wrap your breakables like they were going to Antarctica. Mark the outside of the carton with a brief description of the contents so you're not hunting thru myriads of boxes when the general unpacking starts.

Have one box dedicated to stuff you need to wear/use right away. Cooking utensils, etc. Personal Items. The sooner you're back among familiar things (well, sort of) the better.

You might want to number each box, take an inventory of the contents, then keep that list handy. Then you'll know that the sheets and bedding were stored in box 3 and not box 12 and you can get them immediately w/o a lot of searching.

Try color coding the boxes to make them easier to find: blue for bedding/sheets/drapes, red for kitchenwares, green for clothing/shoes, etc.

As you pack each item, write down what went into which box and keep the list handy, in case you have to retrieve the article for some reason.

If there is anything you can do w/o, donate it to a charity.

Be sure that all your medical records are up to date and that you have the contact numbers for all your physicians.

If there is anything you especially like to use (hair stuff:)) you might consider buying it before you go. Prices in Hawaii can be steep.

Good luck!

ps. A good hair massage is a great way to help reduce stress.

Aw what good advice!!!! :) Thank you so much. I am currently making a list of all the things I need to accomplish before Jan 1st. I think i will make the SO give me a head massage tonight lol

I have moved many times! One thing that I began to do, was to put a number 1 on all 6 sides of the boxes I wanted to unpack right away,(kitchen stuff) a number 2 on the boxes that could wait a day or two,( books, pictures?) and a 3 on the boxes that could go into storage ( out of season clothes) . That way if someone is helping you, all the boxes labeled 3 can go into the garage, number 2 boxes can go into a spare room, that leaves you with only the number 1 boxes to deal with.
Have your bedsheets in a number 1 boxe clearly marked, cause that is the first thing you need to do when you get there!

Good luck!

Good idea! Luckily this is my first time moving out so I dont have alot I am taking with me and same goes with my fiance. :) Thank you!

Hawaii is a rabies-free state, so they're really strict about people bringing in animals from other places, but it can be done. The process involves a complicated schedule of rabies vaccinations and blood tests, and I think even so the animal would still need to be quarantined once it arrives in Hawaii (at the owner's expense, of course). The quarantine time is something awful, 3 months maybe? It's a lot to put an old dog through...

I left my dog with family in NY when I moved to Scotland. It's so sad to leave a pet behind! My dog seems to recognize my voice when I skype with her, the precious darling.

Yes there is a very long quarantine period for taking a dog to hawaii. It would be painfully long for my 12 year old dog :( She can be very skiddish around people she doesn't know and after a 15 hour travel time, last thing I would want to do is quarantine her. She is staying with my mom whom she has always known and usually attaches to when im not around. They have a 3-5 day quarantine time but it cost $200 just to apply to with tons of test (that also cost $$) that I would have to send them and I dont get my $200 back if they deny my application. :(:( just too risky.