PDA

View Full Version : Advice for hair when your hormones are messed up?

DarkBeauty
October 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM
My hair has been shedding for 2-3 months now, not serious shedding, but more than my average. It's also changed texture to fine and totally looks flat on my head, and it's thinned out a little. I've been to the doctors and i'm still waiting for the endocrinologist to look at my blood results (which takes forever :l) It also seems like my hair is growing slower, although it is definately growing. I've even been getting a couple of gray hairs (I'm 18 wth! :S) It's just so horrible my hair now, it gets greasy more, it's frizzy and looks damaged even after i wash it, i look like i have witches hair. Not to mention weather over here doesn't help.

I've heard of evening primrose oil that benefits the hair, but i'm also going to be put on the pill when my next period comes to help control anxiety, so i'm wondering if it's safe to use when on the pill?

Also has anyone else had a similar experience with hormones messing up and hair? If so, what did you do?

amantha
October 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Right before I was diagnosed with PCOS my hair was shedding more than normal and got greasy REALLY fast. I also developed bad acne and put on about 30lbs in less two weeks with no change in diet. Going on the pill really helped me, but I noticed in the past that some pills have made me shed more in the beginning, then everything normalizes. So if that happens to you, don't freak out! I'm also going through a serious shed right now but I think it's related to low iron. I'm about to head out the door right now to see my doctor about it finally.

Also, I actually developed cycle-related anxiety from being on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. So if you're going on it for anxiety, I would make sure to be on a mono-phasic pill or you might not see much help in that area.

Hope that helps!

InTheCity
October 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I'm convinced that being on bc pills for 7 years had my hair straighter than usual. That's just a theory. But I definitely know it made my hair dry because as soon as I got off the pills, I actually experienced a "greasy" feel for the first time in my life. It leveled out a bit but yup, hormones can definitely change hair.