PDA

View Full Version : Biotin

UP Lisa
October 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
For those who are taking Biotin, how much are you taking, and have you noticed any changes?

sipnsun
October 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I started taking it a couple of months ago after my last trim, and I haven't noticed a change in my hair but my nails are growing like crazy and they are super-hard for once. Hopefully my hair will catch up soon! I take 5000 mcg's 1x daily.

hendrickx
October 18th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I just started taking it daily, same dose as above after noticing my multivitamin was deficient in it. Can't tell you about a difference yet, just started it two days ago.

MaryRose
October 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I have been taking 2500mcg for a few months now. My nails are great and my hair grows a little faster since taking it.

Theobroma
October 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I took it for well over half a year at the recommended dosage (I forget what that was). The effect on my hair growth was precisely zero.

hendrickx
October 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
What about health of the new hair, better with biotin?

ssjhotau2
October 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I take 5000 mcg a day. I've been doing this for 4/5 months now and I don't really notice a change- either in my hair, nail, or skin health. :shrug: I'll keep at it at least until the bottle is empty, but I don't know that I'll buy more.

MsBubbles
October 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I just started taking it 2 weeks ago, about 3,500 mcg daily. I had about 3 zits and then no more. My hair has stopped it's awful shedding but that may have been just because the shedding was done. I am going to be on the lookout for any positive changes. But I'm sure it'll take at least a year for me to notice.

Alaia
October 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I just started taking it 2 weeks ago, about 3,500 mcg daily. I had about 3 zits and then no more. My hair has stopped it's awful shedding but that may have been just because the shedding was done. I am going to be on the lookout for any positive changes. But I'm sure it'll take at least a year for me to notice.

Funny that biotin seems to have stopped your shedding. It seemed to have increased mine back when I took it for a bit. Mind you I don't think my shedding has stopped now that I have stopped taking it... :confused:

AnnaJamila
October 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I take it somewhat irregularly (:o) and my nails are super hard and grow really quickly and my hair doesn't seem to shed as much. Otherwise there isn't much difference. :shrug:

MsBubbles
October 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Alaia, it may have been pure coincidence. I think once the shedding has started, those hairs are just going to fall out anyway. It was also right about the time the seasons changed and it got a good 15 degrees (F) cooler. It's hard to know for certain what is working. It's easier to know what isn't!

Browniegirl
October 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I tried taking it, it did help my nails.I stopped though,because I noticed some more acne activity...

blondie9912
October 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I've been taking 1000mcg-2000mcg every day for 6 weeks. No difference at all, not even in my nails :shrug:

For those who haven't noticed a difference while taking it, do you think you will repurchase?

AMW
October 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I took it religiously for about 5 months and I have noticed less shedding but the real improvement is on my nails. They grow fast and they are really strong!

ElusiveMuse
October 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I wonder if people who don't notice much difference already have adequate biotin in their nutrition, so the extra doesn't really have anything to do.

Kelikea
October 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I've been taking around 450mcg for a while, but recently added 5mg for almost a month. My conditioner that I started 2 mos ago also contains biotin. My hair is growing at 1/4in a month or less since July, so the biotin is not helping the growth rate at all. My nails grow, but are still soft.

amberpotamus
October 19th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I've been taking 5mg almost every day (every day that I remember) for... maybe a month now? I'm terrible at keeping track of time. I don't feel like my hair is growing very fast, but then I probably wouldn't be that impressed with anything less than an inch and a half a month (as far as I can tell, my hair has grown a little less than a half inch in the last month, but like I said, I don't keep track of the passage of time very well). On the other hand, I actually have a big bump in my nails where they are growing WAY thicker. It's a little before the quick on each nail, but I have fairly long nail beds, and I can't say that I've ever paid much attention to how fast they normally grow to compare speed. But if my nails are any indication, my hair is at least growing healthier.

amberpotamus
October 19th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Oh, and I did have quite a bit of acne, but some of it was due to the Lysine I had been taking before I started Biotin. I only have some red marks that are fading left now, no active acne, so my skin seems to have adjusted after a few weeks. I do find that my skin seems to be even oilier than usual though, even now that the acne has eased.

owlathena
October 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I took it for a couple months (in a hair, skin, nails vitamin) but it made me get TERRIBLE cystic acne. I haven't taken it in about three weeks, but my face has yet to clear up :wail:

UP Lisa
October 19th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Well, my nails are already very haelthy. I'm not going to take any massive doses of it, but I'm not getting hardly any at all from my multivitamin, and I doubt I'm getting much of it from food. So maybe I am deficient in it.

ya-ya C
October 19th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I am taking 1000 mcg biotin and there's also 2500 mcg in my hair vitamins. My hair is growing slightly faster, but that may be because af all the other vitamins I'm taking, too (Bargello's regimen) However my nails are DEFINATELY thicker and stronger. Can't say much for nail growth speed - it's always been kind of fast, but then they were also thin (like I could bend the parts that stick out, without breaking them and they were semi-transparent) and now they are not as pliable and became white, so I guess biotin does help to grow them better, even though at the sape speed:)

gthlvrmx
October 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I began taking it again about 2 weeks ago? Along with DE and my hair has grown more than it was growing with the rooibos tea, Maybe it's my growth spurt ive been waiting for, but im back at the MBL that i had in August? I got about 2.5-3 inches trimmed off early August i think and i grew that back already....not so sure if it truly helped, but my nails sure are stronger again!

MsBubbles
October 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Before my self-trim today I measured and realized I attained an inch growth in 28 days.
Since being at LHC I have had consistently 5/8" growth each month. I was hoping for more and thicker hair strands, but I will take the speedy growth too.

Not sure if it was the biotin though, of course, because I also started taking other things such as evening primrose oil, omega 3 and a multi.

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Wow! That's some really fast growth!

I began taking it again about 2 weeks ago? Along with DE and my hair has grown more than it was growing with the rooibos tea, Maybe it's my growth spurt ive been waiting for, but im back at the MBL that i had in August? I got about 2.5-3 inches trimmed off early August i think and i grew that back already....not so sure if it truly helped, but my nails sure are stronger again!

gthlvrmx
October 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Wow! That's some really fast growth!
I know im surprised too! I checked by pulling my hair in the front and it seems to all have grown right back!

CarpeDM
October 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I've been taking 2500 mcg a day for over a year now and the only difference I see is in my nails...

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Well, my nails are perfect, so if it makes them harder, they will be breaking.

BeccaAngel
October 20th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm taking prenatal vitamins that have 300 mcg of biotin in it.

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Supposedly, that's not nearly enough for healthy hair. I don't think I would increase it while pregnant, though.

I'm taking prenatal vitamins that have 300 mcg of biotin in it.

BeccaAngel
October 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Supposedly, that's not nearly enough for healthy hair. I don't think I would increase it while pregnant, though.
I'm not pregnant :P i just like taking these vitamins because they are easier on my stomach than regular multi vitamins.

curlytiff27
October 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
This will sound crazy...but I take about 10K+ per day...I did this to try and combat post partum shedding and stress shedding I dont notice much in my nails...what changed my nails was using Biosil. I started that about a month ago and have a ton of little hairs, longer nails and less shedding. I will try and post a pic of my nails later. They haven't been this long since I was pregnant last year with my daughter.

Helenae
November 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've been taking Biotin (2000 mcg daily) for 2 weeks.
I've noticed stronger, thicker nails - a small amount of hair growth - and longer eyebrow hairs.

BUT - I've been taking a daily multivitamin (Biotin might need absorption through vitamin C or magnesium or something?) I've also been taking MSM, Evening Primrose Oil, Folic Acid, Calcium and Magnesium. I think this is why I've seen effects so early - these vitamins all work together.

jacqueline101
November 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I've taken it along with a hair skin and nail vitamin. I've noticed some growth.

akilina
November 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM
when i used to take it a few years back it did make my hair grow faster but it wasnt worth it.
i would get horrible headaches and huge cyst like zits. some of these zits would last 2 months.
i quit taking it and all of that stopped right away.
so id like to take it for that extra growth but it isnt worth all the pain.

KwaveT
November 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I only take 500 mcg right now. When I finish this 60 cap bottle, I am going to start a 1000 mcg one. I noticed the change in my nails from other supplements that I take like the MSM and Silica. Those are two that affected my nails. Biotin was the last supplement I added to my regime. I am getting faster hair growth too. It is all from combination of supplements I take. They are probably all working together.

Amiblue
November 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I have started taking 5000mcg once a day with my multivitimin and 2 1000mg omega 3's with 2 more omega 3's at night and have seen a difference. Been doing it for almost 2 weeks now. My hair is growing a little fast than my already fast growth. I am getting new hairs I can see around my face and I didn't have any issues with headaches. My face did get oilier for the first week but that could have been from using too much oil on my hair. :o I did an extra face mask and two extra face scrubs (normally do one of each a week) and that cleared my skin right up and back to normal. I even put lotion on again without issue. I have also notice an increase in my eye lashes!!! and my nails are getting whiter again - they were already pretty strong; and my skin is getting softer without the use of a lotion which I normally would have to use multiply times a day. I even think better since being on it! So, I must have had some sort of deficiency without realizing it.

I am also giving it to my Husband and we are seeing a difference with him and no side effects at all.

LocustSpawning
November 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I also take 5000mcg. I do think it has helped, I am 70% sure of it.. have been taking it on and off for a year now. It has 100% helped my nails grow strong and thick though.

longhairedlady
November 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
when i used to take it a few years back it did make my hair grow faster but it wasnt worth it.
i would get horrible headaches and huge cyst like zits. some of these zits would last 2 months.
i quit taking it and all of that stopped right away.
so id like to take it for that extra growth but it isnt worth all the pain.

This is exactly what happened to me. No more biotin for me.