PDA

View Full Version : Hair & confidence

missoj
October 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I follow Sophia Ross on twitter (one of the producers of The Hills and not the other one). And she just tweeted (http://twitter.com/#!/sofifii/status/126330651677954049)that the longer her hair gets the more confident she gets.
I agree with this (except for those mad moments when I want to cut everything off) the longer my hair gets the more confident I feel especially when I have a good hair day.

Do you long-haired ladies and gents feel the same?

WaitingSoLong
October 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Not really. I don't think my hair has anything at all to do with my confidence. Bad hair days can make me frumpy, at least until I get past the mirror then I really don't think about my hair again the rest of the day. But I am not in the competitive part of life, the corporate world or anything like that. I am a simple woman with few ambitions other than to be a good mother and wife.

I think anything we strive for, and accomplish, makes a person feel a bit more confident. Must just be hair for some. Long hair alludes to some sort of patience, being patient is a good trait and goes nicely alongside confidence. I suppose I felt accomplished when I reached my first long hair goal, but that didn't make me more confident. What...I can grow hair so I must be able to take on the world? LOL. Ahh geez. sorry.

airmid
October 18th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I find that for me, it does, definitely. I've had some hair that didn't suit me in my time (Mohawk, anyone?), and I can say that the hair I have now- hennaed, past shoulder length- is the best hair I've ever had. My confidence booms because of it. And I look forward to it growing much longer! I've always loved super long hair, and I was never able to grow it. I had a habit when I was younger of getting really upset and hacking off my hair with scissors, doing all kinds of crazy things to it so it always stayed short.
I think it`s also a combination of the henna and the long hair that does it for me. I don`t really like my natural colour, I find it very dull. I looooove henna red. :) People compliment me now on my hair a lot, too, which also helps the confidence!

MissAlyssa
October 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I agree, I always feel more confident and pretty with long hair, I love the feeling of it and it just makes me happy haha :)

Alaia
October 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, when my hair gets longer than I've ever had it, my confidence goes soaring.

So, I'm not going to be uber-confident for a bit since now I've got to get back to TB and beyond before it's reached that stage again :lol:

Kyaatje
October 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
nah I get my confidence from other things.
I love my hair it kinds of states who I am I suppose, so my hair reflects my confidence rather then me getting more confident because of it :cheese:

Shona
October 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I definitely feel more confident the longer my hair gets! I love the days when I pass something reflective and I see my reflection and my hair goes further down my back than I rememeber! Lovely feeling, I also feel more womanly. I do love short cuts on girls like pixies, but for me I feel I look alot better with long healthy hair, rather than short (I look like my dad with short hair. every daughters worst nightmare possibly?) Hurrah for hair!

luxepiggy
October 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hm . . . well I've been pretty confident for my whole adult life, but then again, I've always had long hair :hmm:

Ermine
October 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Not solely, but it does give me a confidence boost when I feel my hair on my neck (it hasn't been long enough for that in a while). Also makes me happy when it swishes in the wind. Now on to truly great lengths! :) It just makes me more confident when I know I'm well on my way to achieving my goals.

krissykins
October 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM
It did when I was shorter. I'm entering what some say is the "too long" stage (past waist length), so let's just hope it isn't detrimental to my confidence when I get snarked at for my hair choices. :lol:

KatjicaMjau
October 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I agree, I always feel more confident and pretty with long hair, I love the feeling of it and it just makes me happy haha :)

Same here, sometimes I get "high" from my own hair just looking at them and touching :D :rolling:

Carolyn
October 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Well I know I feel prettier and better about myself when my hair is long. So I guess yes, I do feel more confident with longer hair. I feel the same way about wearing make up. So if I'm dressed, groomed and made up to my satisfaction then I am more confident. I had no self confidence as a child so I am comparing my feelings about myself now to the little girl me. Hair is a big part of how I see me.

owlathena
October 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Yes, when my hair is happy, I am happy. And the longer it gets, the more comfortable I am with my appearance, and the more confident I feel.

hendrickx
October 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I don't know that it's the length boosting confidence, it's that I'm letting me be me, even if guys aren't "supposed to" have long hair.

missoj
October 26th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I guess the reason why I feel more confident is because I always thought that long hair was beautiful, so the longer it gets the more beautiful I feel, and the more beautiful I feel, the more confident I am, now not to a cocky extent, but just beautiful.

joflakes
October 26th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Conversely, I feel horrible as I have short hair. I hope this will go away soon. I feel miles better when I have longer hair. I feel like people are looking at my hair and thinking "Urgh, how/why did she let it get like that?"

AcornMystic
October 26th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Oh, in a big way, yes. Many might wish to call me vain, but my hair is part of me and if being proud to have more of it (more to love:D:p) and wanting to take care of it and admire it is narcissistic, then that is someone else's problem. I don't take for granted what my body does, I appreciate it, and I'd rather be considered vain than take myself for granted. When I pamper myself it does wonders for my confidence, as well as seeing the fruits of my labour, and my hair deserves as much pampering as the rest of me. When I can grow healthy hair I feel more capable and like I can make a difference. For those that don't quite get it, it's like gardening; Nursing a plant, and aiding it in its growth to be healthy and blossoming. Hair in its own way, is indeed alive.:p

EDIT: Like I have in my bio:

"Another reason I want to grow it long is that I find running my fingers through my hair to be therapeutic/relaxing."

That gives me comfort which gives me confidence and just that a part of me could directly affect my confidence in such a meaningful way.

"I also like to nurture and pamper myself sometimes and that includes my hair, and long hair is also a sign, not only to others but to myself, of patience, tolerance, and determination, when it is in good condition. "

This, as said above, gives me the confidence in that I can make a difference. That I have the ability/attributes to directly affect my person in a positive way.

PorkChop
October 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
No i dont feel any more confident now my hairs getting longer. Ive always been pretty confident with it, from when it was shoulder length to now (BSL practically)

LocustSpawning
October 26th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Yes.. my hair length has a LOT to do with my confidence. The longer it gets, the prettier I feel. When it was APL I just felt.. blah. Longer hair just suits my face much more, looks good with my slim body, and suits my personality much more.

uptosomeone
October 26th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Length has nothing to do with how confident I feel...it's all about how good it looks. If I have shoulder-length hair that looks great I feel good. If I have APL length hair that's stringy I feel like poo.

missoj
October 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
It is not my intention to insult or offend any woman with short hair. Short hair looks beautiful on manu women, such as Emma Watson and Halle Berry. It's just how I feel about long hair on myself. No harm intended.

joflakes
October 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
It is not my intention to insult or offend any woman with short hair. Short hair looks beautiful on manu women, such as Emma Watson and Halle Berry. It's just how I feel about long hair on myself. No harm intended.

I hope you didn't think I was offended! I wasn't - I just got the, well, short end of the stick in the hair stakes :lol: It'll grow and with it my confidence. It's no biggie though. I did it to myself!

Yozhik
October 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I don't think that longer hair gives me more confidence in the sense that I was less confident with shorter hair, but I do feel an extra boost of self-esteem if my hair looks particularly good. :D

Maraz
October 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Confidence for me comes from freedom. I'm afraid my hair doesn't give me that, and I'd shave my head bald and stay that way the rest of my life if I had it. Sadly, being bald wouldn't do the trick, either! Heck, I'm not really sure there's much freedom to be had as a human being, but as much as I can get, I'm going to take and keep, long hair or short. Meanwhile, I'm in an obsess about hair phase, so I'm quite happily doing so. While keeping a sharp eye out for a chance at world domination, of course. (Hey, if you can't have freedom, power is second best!)

Snippety
October 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I've been having a crisis of confidence because of having long hair :p and got some very good advice on my post. I think I felt stronger and more tough when I had very short hair, and I need to find a way to bring that into having long hair.

heartgoesboom
October 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM
well, i'm more confident when my hair is big and styled, not necessarily long. :)

moxamoll
October 26th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've been having a crisis of confidence because of having long hair :p and got some very good advice on my post. I think I felt stronger and more tough when I had very short hair, and I need to find a way to bring that into having long hair.
My suggestions on ways to think of having long hair being tough:
1. Some geishas were assassins; when man is sleeping, pull out hair stick, shove in ear, pull it out, wipe off, reinsert and saunter away.
2. Samurai apparently wore their hair long to taunt their opponents - as in, I'm so good, you can't get me even with this convenient grabby thing.
3. If it's really long, tie a weight to the end of your braid and you can whap people with it!
4. Be nice or I'll garrotte you with my hair.

Or, my personal favourite:
5. I am a strong, independent, confident person and I'll wear my hair however I please. :D

missoj
October 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I hope you didn't think I was offended! I wasn't - I just got the, well, short end of the stick in the hair stakes :lol: It'll grow and with it my confidence. It's no biggie though. I did it to myself!

Things are easily misinterpreted online and I don't want to offend anyone and I'm glad you're not offended. :) :cool:

nellreno
October 26th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Kinda. When my hair was really short, it was unflattering and made me look like a twelve-year old boy. Up until my hair was below shoulder length it took away from my self-confidence. As it got longer my self-confidence did improve because now I have a hair-style that flatters me.

celebriangel
October 27th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I wouldn't say...hmm. I definitely feel more confident when my hair looks good, and short hair (above APL, the point where my wurls and spirals start sitting right instead of going all over the place) just DOES NOT look good on me at all. I look about 40 and frumpy and I was 16 when I got it cut!

So I definitely started to feel more confident when my hair reached about collarbone length unstretched because, wahey, my hair suddenly looked kinda nice.

However, the longer my hair gets, the happier I become, in a way that I don't think is related to how good my hair looks. I just feel more *comfortable* with long hair, like I'm wearing my favourite comfy-yet-flattering outfit, and while this feeling isn't a confidence boost in itself, it sortof...leads to one as I am more comfortable with myself which allows me to relax and "let it all hang out", which reads as confidence.

MonaLisa
October 27th, 2011, 05:00 AM
When it is shorter, i don't feel like myself.

The longer it gets, the more it feels like me!

summergreen
October 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Its definitely true for me. The longer my hair gets, the more I feel like my outside reflects my inside. Its not so much about appearance (truthfully my hair probably looked better at BSL than it does now, although I hope that'll change as the old damage grows out) as self-expression.

Amber_Maiden
October 27th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I do.... But I also feel bad when I have setbacks, like having to take some inches off because of damage...

HairFaerie
October 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I feel "prettier" with longer hair but truthfully I felt more confident and assertive with a really short pixie.

joflakes
October 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I feel "prettier" with longer hair but truthfully I felt more confident and assertive with a really short pixie.

I know what you mean, not sure if I like it but I definitely had more of an air of 'I don't care what the world thinks of me' when I had mine.

I've had pixies twice before, the first time I hated it an let it grow out without even one cut (don't even ask me how!) and the second this year.

It is empowering, it's almost like going against what society says should be girly and therefore makes you feel more assertive.

I dunno, I could be wrong for others of course!

moxamoll
October 27th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I just feel confident when I think my hair looks good. I prefer it to be stand out somehow, so I like it best when in a pixie cut or unusually long (too bad those are so far apart! :agree:)