PDA

View Full Version : Lazybum when it comes to putting hair up.....

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Now that I`ve gotten to waist I figure it is time to start diligently wearing my hair up more often to protect it. I have a bad habit of taking my hair out of my sleep braid and leaving it loose for the day which results in daily wear and tear (evil seatbelt monster and tangling). Anyone else lazy when it comes to putting your hair up on a daily basis? I mean for goodness sakes I could just put it in a pony and braid it but even that is too much for me somedays. Need some motivation. What is your go to daily updo or containment style? PLUS I`ve noticed people randomly trying to touch my hair at work nowadays and that is slightly annoying. Ladies and Gents your words are priceless.

Alaia
October 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Daily wear? Cinnabun.

When I'm too lazy to do anything else? Cinnabun.

Day after wash when it slides out of a Cinnabun? Lazy Wrap Bun.

:lol:

Either of them takes me about 10 seconds to put up. Usually that's about as much time that I have left in the morning to do my hair in.

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Seems that buns will be the easiest but I don`t always like how they look. I have my days where I struggle with my hair fork not staying in or my clips not holding my hair. Persist! *Googles Lazy Wrap Bun*

ElusiveMuse
October 18th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think it may be a matter of finding the right fork. The 4 pronged GTS forks will not fall out of my hair for anything. I do some version of a nautilus/pencil type bun and, as the saying goes, stick a fork in it!

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I`m a HUGE fan of the Nautilus bun (both in how it holds and how it looks) but some days I`m just not able to get it to stay. Grrr. I think it might be my two prong cheapo fork. Need to upgrade to something that will secure my hair more. I`ve been wanting a Grahtoe Studio fork forever. Think it may be time to invest!

I think it may be a matter of finding the right fork. The 4 pronged GTS forks will not fall out of my hair for anything. I do some version of a nautilus/pencil type bun and, as the saying goes, stick a fork in it!

Alaia
October 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Have you tried hair sticks?

I prefer them to forks, though I have a couple of forks that I love.

I also find it much easier to put my hair up with sticks than forks :)

GRU
October 18th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I can put my hair up in a Nautilus-style bun with a single hairstick in under ten seconds.

NOTHING could be easier/faster/simpler for me.

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I have a few hair sticks floating around the house somewhere but I prefer forks because it seems to secure easier and with one swift insertion. With sticks I have to use two because my hair will eat a stick used all by itself. . I`m being a stick snob. lol. Practice Practice Practice. I just starting using forks and sticks at the beginning of this year so I may still be in the learning process. Not doing myself any good snubbing those tools. :)

Have you tried hair sticks?

I prefer them to forks, though I have a couple of forks that I love.

I also find it much easier to put my hair up with sticks than forks :)

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I really am just being lazy. I wonder if it is a subconscious desire to NOT put my hair up. *tsk tsk*

I can put my hair up in a Nautilus-style bun with a single hairstick in under ten seconds.

NOTHING could be easier/faster/simpler for me.

racrane
October 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Well, I have a go to style of a bun with spin pins now. Works every time. Honestly, there are tons of options, it's what works for you.

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I`m jealous that you can get those spin pins to work for you! They stay in my hair for a hot minute and then it all starts to fall apart. My hair is fine and there is a TON of it so it is tough to get it to stay together. Experimenting with up styles this weekend! :)

Well, I have a go to style of a bun with spin pins now. Works every time. Honestly, there are tons of options, it's what works for you.

GRU
October 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I really am just being lazy. I wonder if it is a subconscious desire to NOT put my hair up. *tsk tsk*

I show my laziness by putting my hair up -- a 10-second bun is WAY easier and faster than wetting my hair, CO-washing it, detangling it with the conditioner still in, rinsing it, ACV-rinsing it, adding conditioner, then combing through it before plopping it in a turbie-twist towel.... 10 seconds vs 10-15 minutes is a no-brainer in my book! :D

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Touche'. We do have different hair types, though. Yours is gorgeous, curly, and full so I can see how it would require a lot more work. I wake up pretty early (read 4 a.m) for work so I just shake it out of my braid and I don`t bother trying to do anything with it on my way out the door. I think I can wake up 5 minutes earlier because that is literally how long it will take me to decide what I want to do, to give it multiple tries because my hair is fussy and likes to not STAY like I`d like it to. :)
I show my laziness by putting my hair up -- a 10-second bun is WAY easier and faster than wetting my hair, CO-washing it, detangling it with the conditioner still in, rinsing it, ACV-rinsing it, adding conditioner, then combing through it before plopping it in a turbie-twist towel.... 10 seconds vs 10-15 minutes is a no-brainer in my book! :D

Alaia
October 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM
It's funny how people with almost the same hair types have such different experience with different tools!

Maybe try spin pins again, because for me they hold like a rock? Our hair types appear to be similar. I don't know if it's just practice or what that's the difference between us :lol:

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
It's ME! I lack patience so I try once and when it doesn't work I move on. I`ve tried spin pins several times and still have a pair at home I think. I don`t know what I`m doing wrong. I`m dedicating this Sunday to being a success at using hairtools that have previously foiled me! I`m inspired and challenged. :)

heidi w.
October 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here are instructions for an incredibly easy updo, that you can use as a default if you're otherwise not overly motivated.

A couple things to know:

when you wear hair loose, wear a slippery blouse so your hair can slide and slip; textured fabric such as flannels and knits can cause tangles and burrs. With colder weather coming on, the heavier fabrics are common for many who live in snowy winter areas.

If you can, learn about 3 updos so you can change your updo on a fairly regular basis. It's best to put hair up a little bit differently daily; different hair part, different enough to avoid being precisely the same locale on your head each day, on the head. Such as a bun can be more on the back of the head or top of the head, for example.

You will likely respond well, in time, to having a collection of hair sticks. Hair sticks make it easy to put hair up. I have one I can even sleep in! I found most of my hair sticks from the webmaster of Long Hair Loom. She makes and sells hair sticks. One or two I bought off of ebay, and the rest I found on excursions to here and there. I even have a nice set of matching sticks so I can put them in on either side of a bun, and it looks somewhat "asian" style.

The instructions below can be done with detangled, combed hair, or not. I have certainly put my hair up without combing out. I love this style, and wear it often, in all honesty. I've probably been wearing it the most for the past 4 years.

INSTRUCTIONS: works best if hair is at least around waist length, much shorter, and you may not have enough length to form the essential, basic knot of this hairstyle updo.

Take hair and detangle (if you wish).

Gather the length into a ponytail on the back or higher on the head if you like.

Grab and hold the ponytail with the left hand, palm facing up, from underneath the ponytail on the back of the head. Hold it firmly and close to the head.

Then with the right hand, reach through the hole on the left side between forearm and upper arm, and grab hair length and draw it through the hole, then put it over the top of the hand on the back of the head. There will be a bit of length that hangs down on the right side.

Then with the right hand, and some aide from the left hand, pull the hair that is hanging kind of on the right side through the loop of hair, from the underside. Create a bit of looped hair on the left side of the bun.

Then take up a hair stick and poke it through from left to right side, ensuring that stick goes underneath the bunned hair. This is what creates the 'lock' if you will. In my case, hair length is still hanging down on the right side. If you have this, detangle slightly if you wish, and wrap it around and push under the sticked bun of hair, twisting that bit of length a little bit as you put under the bunned hair.

That's it. It might take about 2-3 times of practice to figure out your specific method and amount of firmness. Too loose, and it can fall out. Too tight, it can pull unpleasantly.

This is a very easy updo. I have worn it professionally at work, with greasy sebum-laden hair, and clean hair. Today I wear it with freshly washed hair.

I hope this helps you out,
heidi w.

Remember, wearing hair up and out of fears of pulls, tugs, and wind whips is the best thing you can do to take care of hair's integrity. Long hair, the longer it is, means it's old hair. I have hair on my head that is about 20 years old, I'm betting! This older hair needs my best effort to maintain it's good looks. I truly hope his helps you out.

darklyndsea
October 18th, 2011, 09:18 AM
When I wear a sleep cap over my sleep braid, it looks good enough in the morning that sometimes I just leave it in the braid. *has reached the pinnacle of laziness*

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Heidi-
You are fab!! Thanks for that thoughtful and informative reply. Will be heeding your advice, my dear.

heidi w.
October 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM
It's ME! I lack patience so I try once and when it doesn't work I move on. I`ve tried spin pins several times and still have a pair at home I think. I don`t know what I`m doing wrong. I`m dedicating this Sunday to being a success at using hairtools that have previously foiled me! I`m inspired and challenged. :)

Something to know, as you gain additional length, you will be adjusting your updos to accommodate the length, and in some cases, certain hairstyles may no longer be possible. For example, at my length and volume of hair, it's very difficult now for me to create a stay-put French Twist. I just can't hold all that hair underneath, anymore.

ETA: FYI, most updos begin with kind of ponytailing the hair somehow. If you need to, tie off the ponytail until you figure out how to work without that step. Practice makes perfection. It'll come. END ETA

Another tip, don't be in a hurry. It'll come. You begin with basic instructions, and then figure out your way that works for you, with your skillset.

Most updos are about where to place the hands. Try to avoid looking at the finished product and guess what happens when.

For a long time, I used long hairpins (roller hair pins, the long kind of bobby pin). You may need this for a time. If you use hairpins, pin as you go, not at the end when the hair is coiled up. Think about an interlocking network of hairpins, which later on you can choose to not put a pin in here and there, as you figure it out. Place them North, South, East and West, and build an interlocking network as you go, with pins linking or going over other pins that are already placed. This is a big tip, I have found, that newbies to updo creation tend to not realize. Most instructions lack instruction on pin placement, and hand placement, especially thumbs. Thumbs are important in braiding, I find.

This weekend, this Sunday, don't try to master everything. Pick one thing, and focus on that, and get good at that updo, and then another Sunday pick another one. Easy does it. Don't take on the whole subject in one day; that's asking for major frustration and disappointment. Be reasonable in your approach. Small steps.

If you ever can, get to a long hair meeting. People meet and socialize, and often there's a sharing of hair care tips. It's fun. The other thing is search for your hair twin on LHC and see how they do stuff. It can be helpful.

I hope these comments are found useful,
heidi w.

heidi w.
October 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Heidi-
You are fab!! Thanks for that thoughtful and informative reply. Will be heeding your advice, my dear.

No problem. If it fails then I failed in something on my instruction. It'll probably work out though. It's a pretty easy updo for anything from housecleaning to looking good at work or on a date, even.

Good luck on Sunday too! You might like to check out Long Hair Loom free website which also has a section on Styling Station, or something similar to that title. People post instructions on a style, and they're often accompanied by photos, if that helps you a bit. I believe LHC has a kind of styling section, too, but you may need to have 100 posts to see it. Not sure.

heidi w.

GRU
October 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Touche'. We do have different hair types, though. Yours is gorgeous, curly, and full so I can see how it would require a lot more work. I wake up pretty early (read 4 a.m) for work so I just shake it out of my braid and I don`t bother trying to do anything with it on my way out the door. I think I can wake up 5 minutes earlier because that is literally how long it will take me to decide what I want to do, to give it multiple tries because my hair is fussy and likes to not STAY like I`d like it to. :)

Awww, you're so sweet!

FWIW, I wasn't always so speedy with a bun... practice, practice, practice, and then once you "get it" you will always have it from that point forward!

I like the Nautilus b/c it doesn't require a bunch of back-and-forth hand-changing movements (my hair likes to escape if I'm switching hands, etc.)... I just grab it with one hand, wrap it around the other hand, twist until the ends are used up, and then stick a stick through it.

letterstodes
October 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Thank you again, Heidi! :) Positive, encouraging advice that is much appreciated.

heidi w.
October 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM
When I wear a sleep cap over my sleep braid, it looks good enough in the morning that sometimes I just leave it in the braid. *has reached the pinnacle of laziness*

I have certainly slept in braided hair, minus a cap, and then worn the braids still the next day, and the next and even the next after that. Oh yes, I've been the queen of lazy, at times.

heidi w.

Chetanlaiho
October 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well, putting my hair up ís the lazy way to go for me xD Most buns take under a minute, and if I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll just bun my sleeping braid. Wearing it down or half-up requires more styling and work to make it look good :shrug:

If I don't put it up it gets in the way of |everything| and I have to continuously get it out of the way and then I spend time worrying over it :o

jasper
October 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
cinnabun and lazy wrap.

Anyone else lazy when it comes to putting your hair up on a daily basis?
I think my throwing my hair into these buns daily is my way of being a lazy bum about my hair.

blondie9912
October 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I wear my hair in a bun almost daily due to school. Just practice one or two buns consistently, and then when you've mastered them you can move on to the next style. Before you know it, you'll have a dozen styles at your disposal! Good luck :D