PDA

View Full Version : Question about going to the hairdressers!

Shona
October 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm planning on going to the hairdressers soon for a trim (I s&d and that keeps my hair pretty much slit end free and healthy) after months of not having one, since then i have stopped using heat on my hair. So my question is, do you leave the salon with wet hair? do they charge you the full price of the "cut and style" when they havent actually done anything but wash and trim it? I'm very confused! I'd feel so weird leaving the hairdressers with wet hair!

growingpains
October 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Many people allow their hairdressers to use heat. It's only one time after all and you can always ask her to use cool. You can also wash and dry your hair the day of your haircut and then tell her no need to wash. In that case she could either cut dry or spray the ends with water. Or, I guess you could just leave with wet hair.

You could try Feye's self trimming method if you are interested in avoiding this.

Buggheart
October 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I sometimes leave with wet hair. It's about $12 more to have her blow dry/style it so if I'm going to the gym or something after I figure there's no point in spending the extra $$$ to have her dry it.

spidermom
October 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I often leave with wet hair. It costs extra to have it dried.

blondie9912
October 17th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Most high end salons will basically insist that you get your hair washed and styled, as it allows for the stylist to see your hair properly and give you the best possible cut.
I know cheaper chains like SuperCuts will sit you down right when you walk in, spray your hair with water in a misting bottle, and then cut your hair wet. The best way to hair hair, however, is definitely when it is dry.

If you're looking to save money, wash/blowdry/straighten your hair before you go, so the only thing left for the stylist to do will be to cut your hair. I would call ahead and ask if that's fine with them, because most salons book clients with enough time to wash, dry, style, and cut their hair. It might be a little awkward if they allot 70 minutes for your hair, but since you've done nearly all of the work for them, your stylist will only spend 25 minutes cutting your hair.

Since I'm assuming you only cut your hair every few months, DEFINITELY don't worry about the heat damage that they will do while styling your hair :) Just once won't damage your hair, and your haircut will not look nearly as good if your hair is cut wet

spidermom
October 17th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Well, Blondie9912, that may be true, but it takes so long to dry my hair. Most of the time, I really hate sitting around that long.

Yozhik
October 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Even before I joined LHC I'd leave salons with wet hair because blowdryers have never been nice to my hair and leave it acting all poofy and unmanageable. The salons I went to never had a problem with this. :shrug:

Now I don't go to salons for trims, but instead trim my own hair using feye's method.

kidari
October 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
After they cut your hair they will blow dry and sometimes use a flat iron or curling iron on it and put tons of product in it. I always ask them not to put hairspray but I don't mind the coney serums and the blow dry. If you ask you can skip the blow dry and it should be much cheaper to do so (a lot of the cost is in the styling than the actual cutting). If the salon or stylist is easy to work with you could even wash your own hair and arrive with it wet depending on how close you live and then leave with it wet if you are particular about handling of your hair and products. However, my personal opinion is the shampoo is one of the best experiences in going to the salon and it's important to me to see my haircut dried to determine if I"m completely happy with it. Definitely call the salon and ask first and see how flexible they are and how you feel about it.

MinderMutsig
October 18th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I never let them wash it because those chairs and sinks hurt my neck. I just go in with wet hair. After the trim I never let them put any serum or styling product in it because I have allergies, and I never let them blow dry my hair because the blow dryers they use in salons are ridiculous. They get waaaaaaaay too hot for my comfort. I love my blow dryer. I love it dearly and use it fairly often but I always use the cool or medium settings, never the hot setting and usually a diffuser of some sort. My hot setting is too hot for me but the hairstylists hot setting is my hot setting on crack.

I've only ever once met a stylist who made a problem of me walking out with wet hair because it was bad for her image. She didn't work in that salon anymore the next time I came in.

The other one that made a problem about it was the hairdresser we went to since we were children and who cut our whole family. She just didn't want me to go out with wet hair and get it frozen so she made me take one of her daughters hats to protect my hair for the bike ride home. She was the best! <3

InTheCity
October 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
My (now-ex!) stylist used to chart me either $15 or $20 for a wash and cut. He'd either let me use his tools to style myself or I'd walk out with my hair clipped back. It's definitely worth asking!

Kelikea
October 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I've had no trouble leaving with wet hair. They usually ask if you want a wash and cut or if you want blow dry or style, before they start. You can always change your mind or just do a very light blow dry so you aren't dripping. Then you won't have to pay extra for the style...but sometimes it is fun to go before a party, get your new cut, and let them style it too. It's totally up to you and you are paying them to do what you want with your hair.

UltraBella
October 18th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Most stylists are fine with you leaving with wet hair, if you want to. It's a personal choice. Some stylists charge per service but some stylist include the blow dry and style with the price of the cut. Be sure to ask and make sure you are comfortable with what youare paying vs what you are getting.

The advice about the best way to cut hair is to cut it dry is something I completely disagree with. This FULLY depends on the type of hair you have and the technique the stylist uses. No one will be cutting my hair dry. My waves and wurls poof into an unmanageable disaster.

Buggheart
October 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Definitely worth asking. My old hairdresser used to squeeze me in between services sometimes and didn't have time to style me if I wanted but had no problem letting me use her hairdryer and tools so I could do it myself.

pepperminttea
October 19th, 2011, 07:58 AM
My hairdresser used to French braid my hair damp after she'd cut it. It was still a little extra cost, like blow-drying would have been, but at the time I couldn't French braid my own hair so it felt really special to have it done. :)

Sarahmoon
October 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Been years since I last went to a hairdresser, but:

I could have it trimmed without washing it first. Of course I showed up with clean hair, like one or two days after washing it myself. The hairdresser would use a spray bottle to wet my hair a bit and then trim it. I would leave with still damp hair, not a problem. I would pay and if I had been a man I would have paid less, which is freaking ridiculous and just another good reason for me to not go to the hairdresser anymore.

sipnsun
October 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I try to plan my trims on a day that I have something special planned and I let my stylist blow mine dry and do the works (styling, curling, teasing, ect.) I enjoy the pampering and since I only go a few times a year, I figure it's not too terrible for my hair. The few times I have left with it wet she didn't charge me full price.

heidi w.
October 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm planning on going to the hairdressers soon for a trim (I s&d and that keeps my hair pretty much slit end free and healthy) after months of not having one, since then i have stopped using heat on my hair. So my question is, do you leave the salon with wet hair? do they charge you the full price of the "cut and style" when they havent actually done anything but wash and trim it? I'm very confused! I'd feel so weird leaving the hairdressers with wet hair!

I always have my hair trimmed dry, not wet. I find this suggestion more useful for curly hair types because then you can see how and where the hair coils up to. Wet hair is longer and heavier.

I allow a stylist to charge me "full" price even if just a trim. And by the way, I never say openly, please trim my hair. I say, "Trim only this much." And I show them how much, and often wear an item of clothing such as a striped shirt (parallel to floor) so the stylist can kind of have a measurement to go by, or the hemline of a piece of clothing, that kind of thing. You'd be amazed at how many people can't figure out how small two inches really is.

I also tip very well a stylist. Every time, without fail. I visit so infrequently, and they took time to accommodate me and my pickiness, I tip them.

In the distant past, I did allow for a hair wash, but my hair is waaay tooo long to place in a dishbowl and wash and hope they can detangle the mess in any kind of reasonable timeframe for a hairdresser shop visit.

I have good results at a Walmart Superstore salon recently (image in my hair album); at Supercuts, unbelievably. For years I had a personal friend who was my hair guru. I once visited Madora in New York City and received fabulous treatment and trim. Very nice people. Wish I could afford to go there every time, but I don't even live in New York.

I recommend you visit a stylist and chat them up and find out their interest and experience in working with long hair. I recommend you find an older woman or man who is all done establishing themself, and not overly cut happy. Make sure before you schedule a visit to hear the words, "I only cut what you tell me to cut." That's what you need to know first and foremost.

You're focusing on your discomfort. I walk the planet with wet hair often in a given month. No one comments or looks askew. It's no matter, and no one else's business.

I am betting if it's just a trim, that if you wash the day before and air dry, it'll be fine to show up with dry hair and ask for a trim on dry hair. It's speedy, and reliable. It's not a fashion show.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
FYI, OP, you could look into self-trimming methods and posts on LHC Mane Forum. There may be a guidance under Recipes board, here on LHC, too. But as a newer member you may not be allowed to see this forum until after 100 posts. (Recipes Forum, that is.)

heidi w.