PDA

View Full Version : Temporary color rinse results/how to (pics)

xoxophelia
October 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I browsed the LHC database for info on a natural rinse to darken my hair slightly with an amber/brunette tone and came up with a concoction I tried out last night. My "roots" are light brown with golden highlights. The rest is faded dye. I wanted to try and blend the two. Directions are after the photos. I washed my hair, did the rinse, and then fell asleep during the 5-6 hours dry time before taking the photos... So they are a tad messy and still slightly damp in spots :o

BEFORE(webcam photo shows more contrast/saturation than in real life.. however, yes, the difference is noticable usually)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6404&pictureid=116427

AFTER (the ends might look slightly darker than irl but this is pretty true to color- also, my natural wave :))
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=116420

After from behind (the gold of my natural color still shines through but lighting made it more obvious... getting closer to hip)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4575&pictureid=116421

Directions!!!
1)brew rasberry herbal tea (a deep red/magenta color) with a bag of green tea for about 15 minutes in a bowl full of water. Use more if you have more hair than I do.
2)boil down the tea to make it more concentrated (boiling for about 10 minutes)
3)add ~1/4 cup balsamic vinegar after done boiling.. more for a darker/redder color
4)add ~1 TBSN molasses
5)let cool until it is only warm
6)wash as normal... I shampooed
7)dunk length in bowl for a little bit, pour over hair, put hair up, cover with shower cap
8.)I let mine sit for about 10 minutes
9)then I used a little VO5 CO after a short rinse and rinsed again quickly in cold water

The difference is subtle but noticable and the demarcation line is better blended in! :D Also, my hair doesn't feel dry at all.

Hope some of you can have fun trying this out also ^_^

(haven't seen photos of my hair for awhile.. guess I should stop worrying that my hair is too thin <<' heh...)

Columbia River
October 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I think Im going to try this...sounds fun. What I have been doing is a 50/50 color deposit and conditioner and let sit for "awhile", also Im rinsing with red wine vinegar...Ive noticed redder tones in my hair.

invisiblebabe
October 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM
You are beautiful, and I really like your hair! It has gotten very long, and it looks so thick too :flower: Do you still think you will stop at hip, or has your goal changed?

xoxophelia
October 17th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I think Im going to try this...sounds fun. What I have been doing is a 50/50 color deposit and conditioner and let sit for "awhile", also Im rinsing with red wine vinegar...Ive noticed redder tones in my hair.

hope it works for you as well :)

xoxophelia
October 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
You are beautiful, and I really like your hair! It has gotten very long, and it looks so thick too :flower: Do you still think you will stop at hip, or has your goal changed?

Thank you! It doesn't feel as though it is growing because I trim the longest bit reguarly (but the sides have grown).

I wasn't really planning to stop at hip. I figure I will get to hip at some point in the distant future and then maintain long enough to trim some more of my ends off. Hip is my next goal though :) I still have awhile I think.... I'm pretty sure I want to grow to TB length at least but if my hair starts to get thin I guess I will stop sooner.

invisiblebabe
October 17th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Thank you! It doesn't feel as though it is growing because I trim the longest bit reguarly (but the sides have grown).

I wasn't really planning to stop at hip. I figure I will get to hip at some point in the distant future and then maintain long enough to trim some more of my ends off. Hip is my next goal though :) I still have awhile I think.... I'm pretty sure I want to grow to TB length at least but if my hair starts to get thin I guess I will stop sooner.

you're welcome :) to me you look pretty close to hip length, you are definitely past waist. You should be able to get to TB with no problem... all through high school I had classic length hair, and it had fairly thick ends til I got a full head of hlghlights :lol: Your hair is thicker than mine (I'm a solid ii with fine/medium strands).

xoxophelia
October 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
you're welcome to me you look pretty close to hip length, you are definitely past waist. You should be able to get to TB with no problem... all through high school I had classic length hair, and it had fairly thick ends til I got a full head of hlghlights Your hair is thicker than mine (I'm a solid ii with fine/medium strands).

Ah.. are you naturally a goldeny light brown/dark blonde like I am? I noticed looking through your album that our wave pattern also looks somewhat similar and we both seem to get a lot of body to our hair. I like my natural color as I grow it out but sometimes I feel insecure when I see hair color polls here on LHC and it is always by far the least liked o.o

Yeah, I am pretty sure I am past waist because a lowish ponytail is also a little past waist on me. I *think* I have 2-3" until I am at what I would consider hip. I figured about 35" should do it.

My hair got very thin when I was sick for many months awhile back and so I still have "hairorexia" ...and worry my ends disappear to nothing ^_^'

Seharia
October 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
That looks great! I wonder if it will show on my dark brown/auburn hair?

xoxophelia
October 17th, 2011, 05:22 PM
That looks great! I wonder if it will show on my dark brown/auburn hair?

My mix showed most on my lighter natural color than the medium brown/auburn type length. I think if you added some more balsamic vinegar and molasses it should show. It added a bit of shine also :)

Slinks
October 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
:-) very pretty

Cirafly24
October 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Your results look great! Your hair is so pretty, I love the color and waves. Do you think the darker rinse will last? Or will you have to redo it every time you wash?

xoxophelia
October 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Your results look great! Your hair is so pretty, I love the color and waves. Do you think the darker rinse will last? Or will you have to redo it every time you wash?

Thank you cirafly and slinks!

cirafly-I noticed we are both growing out darker dye. My hair is like the 1 maybe 2 shades lighter (and shorter..) version of yours :).. I think it will probably rinse out after 1 or 2 washes but I will probably CO to keep it around longer. I'm too lazy to do it every time but I will try to do it when I want to look more put together.. like for a job interview or something.

Cirafly24
October 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
cirafly-I noticed we are both growing out darker dye. My hair is like the 1 maybe 2 shades lighter (and shorter..) version of yours :).. I think it will probably rinse out after 1 or 2 washes but I will probably CO to keep it around longer. I'm too lazy to do it every time but I will try to do it when I want to look more put together.. like for a job interview or something.

Yes, I remember that we've talked about growing out our dye before :). You have come a long way! Even if the more blended color only lasts 1 or 2 washes, it's still really great to know you have that option when you want it to look more even!