PDA

View Full Version : Annoying! Color not sticking well to first inch.

PinkyCat
October 17th, 2011, 08:04 AM
For some reason, my haircolor has not been sticking to my root area. I use L'Oreal Preference, usually a level 4 or 3 (very dark) with a 10 Vol. developer for minimal lightening. For some reason, my root area stays a shade lighter and a bit redder than the rest, for about the first inch. I'm sure it really isn't that noticeable to everyone else, but it drives me nuts! Gray Magic additive does nothing to help & Excellence works even less well. What do I do? What could be causing this? Help!

katienoonan
October 17th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Perhaps your colour is slowly building up on your hair length making it darker, overall, than the virgin roots coming through that have only had one application?

Have you ever considered henna? XXxx

PinkyCat
October 17th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hmmmm. You may be on to something there. I usually only color my roots though.
I may consider henna & indigo later - but I hear indigo fades quickly.

gabee
October 17th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I used to have the same problem when I died my hair. I think its because your roots are new hair, with no damage, while your length is more damaged and porous, and so the dye sticks to it better. The roots are too sleek and healthy to absorb the dye, because the cuticle lays flat, and does its job in protecting the hair.

Kapri
October 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Are your roots grey? If they are, it may be that they are dye resistant... I use coconut oil on the roots and through to the lengths and it does seem to help the roots to pick up and hang on to colour. I have been dealing with this sitch for the last 5 years and it is rather frustrating...!
x

PinkyCat
October 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Maybe about 10% gray - but even the non-gray ones seem resistant!

Kapri
October 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
hmmmmmm

Has this been going on for long?

LOreal Excellence has a pre-conditioner that I have occasionally tried as a softener for resistant roots.

Hmmmmmmmmm What type of hair do you have?

PinkyCat
October 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Well. I guess it's been the last six months or so. My hair is fine, 3a, not porous, normal elasticity. Very very good condition.

renarok
October 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
How are you applying the color? If possible only apply to the new outgrowth and leave it on the root area for about 80 percent of the processing time. Then work the remainder of the solution through the length. you can mix a little shampoo and water into it. It is called a soap cap. It helps to eliminate a line of demarcation. It is possible your hair is becoming more resistant to the color, or the formula may have changed.

UltraBella
October 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
It's probably the 10vol developer. On virgin healthy hair, it often won't do much more than lightly deposit a color. The exact same thing happens to my hair as well. I would bump up to 20vol and see if it doesn't fix the problem.

PinkyCat
October 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Actually the 20 Vol. makes it even worse as it lifts more. It makes it much redder. Its better with the 10 Vol. but obviously not perfect. I also leave it on for 40 minutes instead of 25.

I only put color all the way through a few times a year, if it fades or gets sunbleached.

The formula changing is another good point. I've noticed another brand at Sally's called Age Beautiful - does anyone have experience with this brand?

blondie9912
October 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
This happened to me too when dying my blonde hair darker! So annoying, ugh

LittleB
October 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I wonder if what is happening is that you have a "hot roots" situation going on. Sometimes the heat from your scalp will change the color an inch or so away from your scalp more than the rest of the hair. I think the answer to this would be to use a lower volume near the scalp, and a higher one on the length. Google "hot roots" and see if it sounds like what's going on with you. Good luck! :)

PinkyCat
October 18th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I wonder if what is happening is that you have a "hot roots" situation going on. Sometimes the heat from your scalp will change the color an inch or so away from your scalp more than the rest of the hair. I think the answer to this would be to use a lower volume near the scalp, and a higher one on the length. Google "hot roots" and see if it sounds like what's going on with you. Good luck! :)

That makes sense. I thought it might be lack of oxygen as when I only do my roots, the rest of my length weighs down the part with dye on it close to my head - but it must be the heat! Hmmmm. All good info. I wonder if blowing cool air from the cool setting of my hairdryer would help.

Kapri
October 22nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi. I found this article for stylists and there are lots of bits and pieces in Google!
http://styling-aid.com/Articles_Hot_Roots.html

Avoiding Hot Roots

We’ve all been blessed with the experience of giving someone hot roots. Just when you are sure
that you’re a color genius, hot roots show up to keep your ego in check. “Hot Roots” is the
affectionate term for when the hair closest to the scalp is brighter, lighter, or redder than the rest
of the hair. The trick to avoiding hot roots is to remembering that hair will take color differently
on different parts of the hair strand. It’s not always possible to put one formula on the whole head
and get an even end result, and that is what separates us from a box of color on the drug store
shelf.

Ask yourself what is different about the first half inch of hair than the rest of the hair strand. Has
the hair been previously colored, or is this a virgin application? Does the new growth contain gray
hair? If are working with 2 different canvases, create 2 different formulas. Think about how you
going to get from the starting point of each canvas to the desired end result.

When lifting natural pigment, the new growth will always lift more easily than the rest of the hair
shaft. Therefore the first ½ inch of hair will contribute more natural warmth and easily become
lighter. That is why a virgin application is applied to the mid-shaft first, to give it more time to
lift. In most cases it is also a good idea to use a higher volume on the mid-shaft when formulating
for a virgin application. You may also need to make the new growth formula slightly cooler than
the mid-shaft formula.

Start a virgin application about an inch away from the scalp, the color will move as you apply and
you should end up with no color on the first ½ inch of hair. If the hair is very dark and coarse, you
may need to use heat on the mid-shaft. Let this process for half of your normal development
time. Then mix up the new growth color with a lower volume of developer. Apply the new growth
formula and process for the full time. Schedule yourself enough time and be sure to charge
accordingly; a virgin application requires more work and product than a touchup.

Most often, hot roots arise when using red hair color. Think about the level you are lift to and how
much natural warmth will contribute to your end result. When touching up previously colored
hair, remember that uncolored hair and previously colored take will take color differently. If the
touchup area has gray, the gray hair will pick up much redder than the darker hair. If the new
growth is all white you may need as much as ¾ of your formula to be natural with ¼ red. Use a
demi-permanent formula to balance the color on the rest of the hair, using more red and less
natural than in the re-growth formula.

Artificial color over artificial will look darker. It is often a good idea to go lighter or add clear to
your formula for the mid-shaft and ends. Think about how 2 layers of sheer drapes will look darker
than one layer. If you pull your touchup formula through the entire hair strand, you may end up
with the mid-shaft and ends looking darker. Be sure to assess how much the color has faded
between visits and think about the color over color effect; it may be a good idea to use a lighter
shade for your pull through.

Always consult with your clients and let them know if it is a more complex process than just a
touchup. Tell them how close you think you can get and that it may take a few visits. Discuss
price; a touchup requires 1½ to 2 ounces of color and a maximum of 30 minutes your book. If you
are taking more time, using more color, and creating a more customized service, charge
accordingly. Tell your clients what it will cost and why and what the charge will likely be the next
time. A thorough consultation will give you time to think through the appropriate formulas,
ensure that your client gets the best possible end result, and help you earn the appropriate
amount for the service you provide.

jojo
October 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Try clarifying first and use no conditioner, also applying to damp hair appears to give better coverage. Ive only just gone back to box dyes, was hendigoed (henna+indigo) I loved the henna but the indigo is very hair to shift, I managed to rid my hair of most of it but then the sun made my hair much lighter on the top and I really hated the colour difference so I boxed dyed with a semi (loreal casting in chocolate). I wouldn't recommend Indigo to anybody unless your a natural black! Another thing to consider is applying the dye to your root area, allow it to do its work for 5 minutes and then apply the rest and leave for time stated on box.

PinkyCat
October 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Ok I got it to work.
The color on my length is a level 4. I touched up my roots last night with a level 3 and it blended perfectly. So going forward, when I do the whole thing, I'll do level 4 on my length & level 3 on my roots.

Thanks for all your help!