PDA

View Full Version : How was this braid done? *amazing horse braid*

Heavenly Locks
October 17th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I know how we like to discover the techniques for braids around here ;)

Does anyone have any ideas of how this braid was done? It is just incredible!

So far all I've got is that it's two (layered) combined french braids?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/HeavenlyJumper/Decorated%20images/3053882579_53ef726111_b.jpg

Rhodugune
October 17th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have no idea, but I hope some one else do.
It's really beautiful and I would like it to try it on my horse, if she has enough mane for that kind of braiding.

http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_37/32390000-32399999/640x480/32390524.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32390524)

Heavenly Locks
October 17th, 2011, 05:39 AM
So pretty! Is she arabian? I don't envy your shampoo cost ;) My horse also has a long mane, and I would love to be able to do such a complex braid for her.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5650_1163308479777_1139813515_30671082_3518058_n.j pg

tigereye
October 17th, 2011, 05:41 AM
It looks like at least 3 layers of french braids, with a layer of hair loose under it. The top layer at least has each tail split in two and going into the last frenched section of the next layer. One of the key things is that the first french braid on the third layer uses hair from underneath and brings it around so as to keep the loose away from the horses head.
I'm expecting you would need a decent number of small clear ties, and it would likely work best using really thin layers. (So it could work, Rhodugune, if you take really, really small sections) I don't have a horse, I won't be riding again anytime soon as I'm currently living in the city, and I'm out of small ties but I'll have a go on my own hair and report back if I can get anything like what I see in the picture.

Alaia
October 17th, 2011, 05:53 AM
It's gorgeous!

It looks like two layers of loosely french braided mane with small sections twisted over the braided parts of the under-layer to make it look more intricate.

Stunning.

tigereye
October 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
So apparently it's really hard to do one of those kinds of french braids on yourself. Plus, my head isn't big enough to do three of them on one side of my part. I'm too used to doing tight ones. I did do those kinds of french braids on my friends horse before. Its at this point I need a hair buddy.
Anyway, I zoomed, cropped, and added some numbers on the photo to give you an idea. Number 1 (white) is the top layer of french braids. You can either make them first of last (last if you're starting at the bottom layer. I would start at the bottom (ie. braids no. 3) first on a horse, but with braids no. 1 on a person.
So. Section off enough hair for the top two layers, and put them over to the other side of the horses neck. take a section of hair all the way down, and clip off into 3 parts. When working from the head end, you want to take hair from underneath the mane (like you take hair from underneath for a fish-tail) and french braid down a good amount. on the side away from the head, you want to take hair from the remainder of the 1st part of the section. With the rest, you just carry on and make 2 more loose french braids.

For the 2nd lot of braids (red), section the part you tossed over the neck into two horizontally, and put the top section back over the horses neck, out of the way. French braid. Tie off at the bottom.

Then take the last, and french braid it. Tie off at the bottom.

Split the tail of two of the top french braids into two and take half of each. Holding the braid, take the tie off one of the braids in the second layer, add the two tail halfs and tie off again. Work like this along the rest of the braids. Take a small section of hair underneath the mane at the head-end, and pull it gently out next to the first braid in the third layer. Take the remaining half of the tail of the first braid in the first layer, and use a clear hair tye to tie them together.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/lost-kitty/3053882579_53ef726111_b-1.jpg

Bear in mind that I'm only going from my minds view of things here. I have not actually done this yet.

milk
October 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I have no idea, but I hope some one else do.
It's really beautiful and I would like it to try it on my horse, if she has enough mane for that kind of braiding.

God what a beautiful horse, I'm full of envy now! And hello fellow Swede :bunny:.

I wish I had my own horse to practice braiding on.

racrane
October 17th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Aw, this makes me miss riding again. Anyway, beautiful braid, beautiful horse. :)

Anje
October 17th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Really gorgeous. It looks to me that the braids in layer 3 (using Tigereye's numbering) have the sections taken alternatingly from underneath each other, so that they're rather woven together. Honestly, if I were to attempt something like that, I think I'd want one person doing each braid, since going between the 3 braids adding a section at a time would be difficult and would probably make it rather messy.

Not sure I'd attempt this on a human, or on a horse that wouldn't normally get its mane pulled. There's a lot of hair there.

tigereye
October 17th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Really gorgeous. It looks to me that the braids in layer 3 (using Tigereye's numbering) have the sections taken alternatingly from underneath each other, so that they're rather woven together. Honestly, if I were to attempt something like that, I think I'd want one person doing each braid, since going between the 3 braids adding a section at a time would be difficult and would probably make it rather messy.

Not sure I'd attempt this on a human, or on a horse that wouldn't normally get its mane pulled. There's a lot of hair there.

I never noticed that, but yeah It looks that way.. You could always try making little sections and leaving them out between the bits you add in? Then your sections are all set up for your next braid, and you can still do one at a time. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me, though.

I'm normally reasonably rough on my own head, but really quite gentle on others. I really miss riding now looking at these lovely horses.:(

Shelly
October 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Let me play around with it on my man's hair and see what I can come up with. I'm generally fairly good at figuring things like that out. I'll get pics and get them posted when I come up with something.

Rhodugune
October 17th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Let me play around with it on my man's hair and see what I can come up with. I'm generally fairly good at figuring things like that out. I'll get pics and get them posted when I come up with something.

Please do!!! :cheese:
I have had this braid in my head all day trying to figure out how it's done.

Vanille_
October 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_37/32390000-32399999/640x480/32390524.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32390524)

I have never really cared for horses, but for some reason I absolutely love your horse. When I was a little girl, I had this thing for unicorns, and your horse reminds me of them I guess. Beautiful.

oktobergoud
October 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
That looks pretty! :o

Random: but when I was young I was all about horses, I LOVED THEM. I have been horsebackriding from age 9 till 16 and still miss it! I actually learned how to braid on a horse, also french braiding :)

Rhodugune
October 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Heavenly Locks No, she is not an arabian, you are not the first to ask that, I think it's because her slanted nose.
She is a connemara pony, but there are from the beginning alot of arabians in that breed. :)

Hi milk, my fellow swede, where are you from? :)

Vanille I really appreciate you sharing that, it's alwyas nice to hear I'm not the only one who think she is a cutie, as one easy does with ones own little darlings. :oops: :D

AshNight1214
October 17th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Oh WOW!!! That's so awesome! I think I'll have to try this.

It looks to me like three layers of loose french braid. You'd have to start with the top, keeping the other hair off to the side, then do the second layer and add the ends of the first layer's braids as your last addition to the second layer. Same thing for the third layer.