PDA

View Full Version : Hair do too neat for a guy ?

karenpetal
October 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hello long hair lovers - I recently got a comment from a co-worker on my ponytail braid - she said "I am ok with guys with long hair but find it weird for guys to have clean / sleek updos - braids/pony/buns - guys should sport messy look if long haired"

Wanted to know what people think about guys with sleek and shiny braids or buns ... do you like it or its too much

I know I would do what i feel most comfortable with but want to know how people perceive guys with silky smooth styles

Madora
October 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'd much prefer to see healthy hair, whether in a braid or updo. The messy look looks unkept and I don't like it. Why can't men have sleek updos? Sure beats the pants off of hair that looks like it hadn't seen a comb in a week!

battles
October 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
How boring would it be if everyone had the same hair.. :p

I think everyone should do what pleases them. If men like to have a silky smooth hairstyle, I'm sure they'll have plenty of people admiring it. :)

(Me being one of them. :cheese:)

ouseljay
October 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I think anyone who offers unsolicited opinions about what is "okay" and "not okay" about another person's appearance needs to have a dirty sock stuffed in their mouth.

That said, a sleek hairdo can look very masculine. It mostly depends on how the man carries himself. I like it either way.

karenpetal
October 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks Madora, battles and ouseljay for your comments ....

ouseljay ... ROFL on the first line :)

folks please let me know what you think - how would you like if your SO would sport neat and prim updo especially if male

bluesnowflake
October 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I think any hairstyle is okay, short of maybe adding pink bows. Messy can be good, but not when it looks like it's never been washed or doesn't know what a comb is. Whatever you feel looks good on you is fine!

BlazingHeart
October 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
My preference, like Madora's, is for sleek. I actually more associate messy 'dos with women than men, though not strongly enough that I'd assume gender on anyone judging by how they'd done their hair. Well. I suppose intricate updos I'd assume were women, but I try very hard not to verbalize that assumption because it can be hurtful when you're wrong.

~Blaze

Pierre
October 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'd rather see hair that's smooth and shiny from roots to tips than hair that's damaged by perms, bleach, or being worn down all the time, whether on a man or a woman. My usual style is two braids put up in some fashion, and I wrap it at night to protect from damage. I don't know if my updos are masculine enough, whatever that means; I just know they fit my hair.

Juneii
October 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Geez, you really can't please everyone can you? I think the sleek hair do is better too. I had a guy friend with apl hair that rarely ever saw a comb during its growing out process. He definitely had the messy look, complete with the tangles and 3 inch split ends! attractive :rolleyes: but yeah, it doesn't matter what your co-worker thinks, wear your hair the way you like it
Just keep in mind you're asking for the opinion of the people of LHC. The majority of us prefer the look of healthy hair. :)

ScarlettAdelle
October 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I don't mind it. The last time my SO had long hair, he used to do this almost french braided thing to keep the top out of his eyes, he made it look effortless, but it was always neat and his hair was very well kept and waist length, and looked very nice.

My favorite on him was a simple ponytail right at the occiptal bone when it was casual & when he was all dressed up, a black satin ribbon tied in a box knot right at the base of his neck.

Simple and well kept can look very nice on a man. To me, the key is to make it look effortless, and possibly a little loose. If it's gelled into place or too tight, it can start to look feminine.

Buns, I do struggle with, it's difficult not to make a bun look somewhat feminine.

spidermom
October 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Nope, neat hair on guys doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to see bows, but I see nothing wrong with braids, buns, etc. There is a practical reason for putting hair up; I wouldn't deny a guy the right.

snowfaery
October 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
My husband has hair that is past shoulder length, he always keeps it in a ponytail or braid because he works with welding equipment and paints. I love his hair when he does it in an updo or when it is well styled. I have a friend that has considerably shorter hair and I prefer it to be messy on him. For me it depends on both the male, his personality and his hair length. I do prefer that it looks clean and well taken care of.

adiapalic
October 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I think anyone who offers unsolicited opinions about what is "okay" and "not okay" about another person's appearance needs to have a dirty sock stuffed in their mouth.

That said, a sleek hairdo can look very masculine. It mostly depends on how the man carries himself. I like it either way.
(bold mine)

This seriously just tipped over my giggle box. *lmao* :laugh:

Keildra
October 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I would think that a long haired guy with a sleek pony or braid would look more professional than one with a messy do. IMHO

Chromis
October 16th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I like the look of sleek updos myself, but really what other people choose is up to them. Pink bows and all! Same goes with permed and heavily processed hair. It is not my thing and I would never do it to my own hair, but if that is the look you are after, than rock it proudly.

PixxieStix
October 16th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have to say, when my FH and I met, he had this gorgeous past waist length hair, 100% virgin. Up until we met, he only wore it in a low ponytail at the base of his neck, but from the perspective of the SO, *I* was the one who put the nice, tidy braids in for him. I think it's great if a guy has neatly braided styles.

I'm not 100% sure on the buns, but that is because I haven't seen them on a guy before. It never occurred to me to try and do such a style on him, but since we are both growing out our hair together, I'll be trying out all sorts of hair styles on him and I'll see which ones I think he can pull off, and which ones I'll keep for my more feminine self.

But, as a general rule, I think anything goes if you carry yourself with confidence and a "I'm so comfortable with myself your opinion could not matter less to me" attitude can allow a guy to pull off anything. *(Insert sign post for off topic tangent)* The questions sort of remind me of an experience I had when I worked at a pet store, a guy walked in, big, burly, bald and tattooed biker guy, had to be 6'3'' and nothing but muscle, walks into the grooming salon, and comes out with this tiny, fluffy white Maltese with pink bows in her hair. After he steps outside the door of the salon and into the shop, he holds her up and gushes about how pretty "daddy's little princess" pooch looks and "did she have a good time at the spa?", puts on her pink dress and tucks her under his arm, dons the sunglasses and walks out of there with a swagger that just dares you to question his masculinity. So, if you can rock it, rock it. If you feel even a little unsure of yourself with your hair style of choice, it will show.

SilentGuardian
October 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM
It doesn't bother me. I especially like a french braid on men, though it's not something I see around here. I see some guys with buns, sometimes low ponytails, but that's about it around here.

amberpotamus
October 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I, personally, am partial to long curls on guys, but that probably has more to do with the fact that it's what my BF has than anything else :). But I honestly think how the person wearing the hair feels about their hair makes more of an impression on whether I think it looks "odd" or not--people send stronger signals than they know sometimes about how they feel about themselves. So whatever makes you happy, do it! Anyone looking closely will see that you're comfortable with what you're doing and know their opinion doesn't matter. Any one who's not looking closely but still thinks they have a right to voice their opinion... Well, a dirty sock is the nicest thing I think they can stick in their mouth!

wooliswonderful
October 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'd much prefer to see healthy hair, whether in a braid or updo. The messy look looks unkept and I don't like it. Why can't men have sleek updos? Sure beats the pants off of hair that looks like it hadn't seen a comb in a week!
My husband has long hair & I totally agree. :)

LaceyNg
October 16th, 2011, 09:23 PM
i agree with PixxieStix -- its all about the attitude. if you feel comfortable looking a certain way, it will show, and IMO, look better!

before i met DH he had MBL hair, says he never wore it messy-looking. also says he never wore it bunned, but i think he should have. he's chinese-malaysian, and i think his hair up in a shiny high bun would have looked awesome! he says really the only asian guys who wear buns now practice taoism and live up in the mountains in china. i say bring back the buns on guys!!! :)

i also think that guys having messy hair is very stereotypical. and kind of goes along the lines of "guys should have dirty nails" too, know what i mean? NO, men, IMO, should be just as well-groomed as women!

AnqeIicDemise
October 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM
DH wore his hair in a neat top knot and it looked sexy as hell.

Cassie 123
October 16th, 2011, 09:38 PM
When DH had long hair, I used to brush it for him in the mornings to make it nice and smooth, and I'd put it in a nice braid when he went to play soccer. It was less smooth when the game was over. Neat, messy, it's all good.

owlathena
October 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Its all about attitude. I think men should wear their hair however makes them happy.

With that said...messy hair on guys can be incredibly sexy.

KwaveT
October 16th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I wish more men would wear neat, long hair if for no other reason to help eliminate the crazy stereotyping that goes on. It is almost like anything that is associated with grooming instantly makes a man less masculine, even sissy or gay. Hair is suppose to be unkempt, greasy (oily), and messy. Hands and fingernails are suppose to be short, filthy, and greasy. Feet and toenails are suppose to look nasty, crusty, and yellowed. Men that does these is perfectly acceptable for some reason. I think if anything, men should be free to be as well groomed as woman are. The man needs to have confidence to pull it off. Carrying yourself like you are doing something wrong all the time will get you noticed in a negative way all the time. I am certainly wearing my hair neat and styled when it is long. I deal with stereotypes like this all the time. My family would rather me have dirty, greasy, short fingernails rather than long, clean, and manicured nails that I maintain now.

bte
October 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
A lot depends on the type of hair - is a guy has smooth straight hair, it is naturally going to look neater than wavy hair. It's also not very flattering to guys to impy that they are incapable of being neat and tidy. (Hides hate mail from angry females under the accumulation of tea cups on his desk).

kamikaze hair
October 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM
are you kidding me, the first guy i ever checked out with long hair had beautiful long tailbone length dark brown silky but lots of it hair. It was so nice, and this that he was some sort of business/corporate/whatever kind of dude. He was wearing a proper shirt, jacket, dress pants and tie with a briefcase and everything. But with an amazing head of hair. (never have i found myself jealous over a dudes hair before! :D)

I think its all about the attitude they sport, some guys can get away with ANYTHING.

IanB
October 17th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Surely, It must be down to personal choice. I prefer wearing my hair down, or the occasional pony-tail, that's my choice, but if guys want to be more experimental or adventurous - great!

Dragon
October 17th, 2011, 02:25 AM
As long as there hair is healthy, I think both, neat and messy looks attractive on guys.

AshleyTheRed
October 17th, 2011, 02:31 AM
My hair rarely looks "neat". It's absolutely wild, but if you can get your hair to behave it can look really cool in a bun or braid. As long as you like it that's all that matters.

I can do neat buns, but have to fight with my hair.

mrs_coffee
October 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I prefer short hair on men, but if their hair is long I like messy and slightly wild looking hair. It's what appeals to me. I think expressing a personal preference is fine, but laying down some sort of mandate for how all guys should look is weird. I really don't care how anyone else wears their hair, but as far as what kind of hair is attractive to me, I'm pretty specific.

bratz81
October 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Personally I prefer to see people (guys and girls) have hair that looks healthy and shiny and not damaged.

I don't see how a 'sleek' do doesn't work on a guy, in fact I'm always nagging my fiance to take better care of his hair as he has it long (coming up on APL) and takes no care of it whatsoever. I've seen how nice it can look when he does comb it and so on but whenever you ask him why he wants long hair to not take care of it he says he's lazy.

So...in my humble opinion, healthy well-cared for hair, whether sleek, wavy or whatever looks better. On either gender.

NotInPortland
October 17th, 2011, 04:56 AM
You can't please everyone! Start leaving your hair wild and messy and they'll probably come back to you and say how they don't like that either :p I have no problem with guys wearing nice slick updos or whatever, I don't see why it would be okay for women to have them but not men, do whatever you want. I like the messy look too on men (to a certain extent) but sleek and slick updos can look great as well.

katienoonan
October 17th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Agreed, she may or may not have been a little jealous :eyebrows:

Alaia
October 17th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Well, I personally don't like it when guys gel their hair into oblivion (or girls, actually) so much that it actually looks wet and then pull it back, but sans gel? Fine, nice.

I like everything. My DH used to braid his hair all the time back when it was long(er than mine).

As long as the hair is healthy! :D

scotty810
October 17th, 2011, 06:14 AM
well long haired males basically don't exist where I live so it's hard for me to even give an opinion of what would be too neat for a guy. Though there's alot of hairstyles I wouldn't do because I only see women wearing them.

I either wear it down or in a pony tail.

honestly I don't really have much interest in doing anything laborious with it in terms of hair design anyway.

Changling
October 17th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I always liked low ponytails and braids on a guy, neat or otherwise, I think it looks great! like a braid that starts at the nape of the neck, or a simple ponytail. For some reason I can't picture a guy with a bun - maybe because I've never seen it before? but I bet a messy one at the nape of the neck would look really good!

I never let someone tell me what I can and can't due because of my gender - and you shouldn't either! That's just one person's opinion, the only one that really matters is your own!

StormVixen
October 17th, 2011, 06:55 AM
hmmm... mainly guys around here I see with long hair (not many) have it loose or in a "low effort low pony" (no comb or brush needed)... there is one guy tho who has the most beautiful thick long hair which is always neat when I've seen it... I think neat is good for non \m/ metal \m/ days but messy is fully acceptable at gigs and clubs... ;)

pepperminttea
October 17th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Whatever they feel most comfortable with. In some work places and on formal occasions, I can see why a guy would have to go for sleek, but apart from that I don't think it'd matter as long as the wearer liked it. :)

Fortresca
October 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I don't think there can be a style to neat for a guy. Cause then there have to be styles not neat enought for girls.

I just think, there are styles to neat/not neat enough for a person. The hairstyle has to go with the character and style of dressing - but this is all just for me. How other people like to wear it, that's just fine. But I have to say, I like the neat styles on guys more. I know people spent hours to get this out-of-bed-messy-look, but for me the neat/clean/sleek/whatever look says "I care for it, I'm proud of it et cetera", which of cause depends on the hair type (I'm aware a 1a is supereasy with neat styles, while a 3b will never look like that).

And just like anyone else, I like to look at well-cared-for hair, if on guys or girls. How people like to wear their hair, is all up to them. Some people like the messy styles, some don't.

Fencai
October 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
oh my goodness.
I love a man with long hair who has clearly taken the time to keep it clean and healthy, and can sport a braid (of any kind). Its the Ren-Rat in me.
When DBF had his waist length hair, I used to put herringbone braid in it all the time. It was so gorgeous.
No, I dont like the messy look on guys.

GRU
October 17th, 2011, 09:32 AM

^^^Ditto this!^^^

moxamoll
October 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I agree that healthy and well-kept is the only requirement. Whether it's sleek or wilder would have more to do with the quality of the hair (straight, curly, whatever). I'd say, don't be afraid to experiment, and where whatever you want with confidence (that always looks good.)

Whether you are male or female, it doesn't matter what you do, there will always be haters. It's just a good way of sorting out who not to waste your time on.

Eirene
October 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
In the Far-Eastern country my hubby comes from, men used to have long hair worn in a bun at the top of their heads. I'd so love to see DH sport the same look !

Lucie159
October 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM
There's an older man (last week he told me he is 72) who is a passenger on my bus sometimes, he has a bsl length braid that he keeps french braided. It looks really good on him and he takes good care of his hair. It's the most beautiful shade of silver white. If I was braver I would ask him to let me take a picture of it. :)

JuliaDancer
October 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM
But, as a general rule, I think anything goes if you carry yourself with confidence and a "I'm so comfortable with myself your opinion could not matter less to me" attitude can allow a guy to pull off anything. *(Insert sign post for off topic tangent)* The questions sort of remind me of an experience I had when I worked at a pet store, a guy walked in, big, burly, bald and tattooed biker guy, had to be 6'3'' and nothing but muscle, walks into the grooming salon, and comes out with this tiny, fluffy white Maltese with pink bows in her hair. After he steps outside the door of the salon and into the shop, he holds her up and gushes about how pretty "daddy's little princess" pooch looks and "did she have a good time at the spa?", puts on her pink dress and tucks her under his arm, dons the sunglasses and walks out of there with a swagger that just dares you to question his masculinity. So, if you can rock it, rock it. If you feel even a little unsure of yourself with your hair style of choice, it will show.

I agree with this, but I also think buns would be tough for a guy to pull off. However, I've seen the half-pulled-out ponytails with the semi-bun looking poof which looked totally fine on men. I would also find pigtails to be a little odd on a man.

Mythica
October 17th, 2011, 11:25 AM

I'll join the list of members saying "This! Yes!"

Cainwen
October 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I agree with this, but I also think buns would be tough for a guy to pull off. However, I've seen the half-pulled-out ponytails with the semi-bun looking poof which looked totally fine on men. I would also find pigtails to be a little odd on a man.

I agree that it might be difficult for some men to pull off buns, but I knew a guy with APL, 3c hair that could. Even better, he could put it into a bun without any hairtoys, pins or ties. I was *so* jealous when I watched him whip his hair into a quick bun and it STAYED for the rest of the day.

All in all, I think it matters more that the guy has a cohesive, I-know-who-and-what-I-am look than whether it is sleek/messy. A long haired guy in a three piece suit would obviously look a little off with messy hair and better with sleek hair. A carpenter in splattered jeans, an a hole-y shirt would look a little funny with a neat updo and a jeweled hairstick.

heidi w.
October 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hello long hair lovers - I recently got a comment from a co-worker on my ponytail braid - she said "I am ok with guys with long hair but find it weird for guys to have clean / sleek updos - braids/pony/buns - guys should sport messy look if long haired"

Wanted to know what people think about guys with sleek and shiny braids or buns ... do you like it or its too much

I know I would do what i feel most comfortable with but want to know how people perceive guys with silky smooth styles

They're attentive to personal hygiene. Nothing like sticking your hands in a wadded mess of hair embattled by the elements.

I'm thinking that whoever said this might prefer a certain length. The guys on LHC with long hair would never qualify as actual rocker dude longhairs! I think whoever said this may also be turned on by Mr. Rockerdude all sweaty and gnarled and tangled after a rock concert. Okey-dokey fan club!

Everyone's preferences are different.
heidi w.

Annibelle
October 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM
DH has TBL sleek, straight hair that is NEVER messy. He won't let me bun his hair... hehe. But he'll wear it in an English braid or in a ponytail. I love when it's braided or down. No one has ever offered a negative remark-- even other guys comment on how unique it is! :)

CaityBear
October 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
"I am ok with guys with long hair but find it weird for guys to have clean / sleek updos - braids/pony/buns - guys should sport messy look if long haired"

I think maybe that's because not many guys keep neat hair. If they grow it long it's usually neglected.

I would rather see it in a neat braid or ponytail. Every since my boyfriend's hair has gotten long enough to put in a ponytail I almost always put in a ponytail. Now he's even doing it a lot of the time. I don't like when it's just down and looks like a rat's nest aka...messy. I prefer a neat, smoothed back ponytail.

But overall I prefer a ponytail or braid. If it's a bun please no jeweled hair sticks or anything. If you can put in a bun and not have any hair toys then okay. But otherwise I prefer just a braid or ponytail on a guy. Otherwise it starts to look too girlish in my preference.

AshNight1214
October 17th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I prefer healthy hair over anything. Some people can pull off the always loose thing, but I think an updo is nice on just about anyone.

Pierre
October 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Sometimes my hair actually hasn't seen a comb in a week, because I need to wash my skin and don't have time to comb all the loose hairs out. But I still keep it neat, by redoing my bun or other updo and adjusting the band so that no hair is in my eyes. The braids stay braided for at least that long.

WinterButterfly
October 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I like neat hair on a man. I also prefer my husband to be well groomed. He had nice long slightly wavy hair. I never thought to put it in a bun (now I wish I did) but he rocked the neat low ponytail. I miss his long wel l taken care of hair... I think a neat style is very prince charming like (not the one from shrek, but the one from the stories) if you like your hair nice and neat, then go for it! I just wish more men grew long hair and took care of it!

Elleyena
October 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I think your hair looks fine. The unkempt look only works for some people, my dbf being one of them <(^.^)>. However when I can convince him to let me brush it out and put it in a ponytail or a braid, he just looks even yummier! I think as long as a guy is comfortable with how his hair looks and is styled, then he will wear it well.

Granted, I have a thing for guys with long hair, not all people do. *shrug* everyone has their opinion.