PDA

View Full Version : Support thread for everyone growing out blonde highlights!

blondie9912
October 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone :D

To start off, I'd like to say that yes, I know there are threads of a similar topic already (I was reading a great one started by SapphiraSilver the other day) but I wanted to start one specifically about those who are growing out blonde highlights. I'm sure many of you would agree that growing out blonde dye/highlights is quite different from growing out henna/darker dye, so I thought this would be a good place to share our problems, plans, and progress

I would love it if this thread had as many photos as possible (I don't know about you, but I love lurking them, and seeing the progress of others is so encouraging and inspiring!)

So I'll start: I've been getting my naturally golden light brown hair highlighted for three years. My hair looked great, but I felt like it was getting too light and that my ends were becoming a little too dry for my liking. Last winter, I dyed over my salon highlights at home with Natural Instincts in some sort of light brown shade. It did an awesome job covering the highlights and matching my natural, so I left my hair alone for 6 months. The dye gradually faded, leaving me with an ombre look and a strong desire to go back to highlighting (especially now that June had rolled around) I decided to take matters into my own hands and used John Freida's Controlled Lightening Spray allover my hair to officially bring it back to 'blonde'. The highlighted length brightened up nicely with the spray, but my natural roots took on a strange dark brassy blonde colour. I was the only one who noticed it, but being the perfectionist that I was, I had to do something about it.

Instead of making the smart move and going to the salon like I always do (don't worry, I don't typically experiment with my hair at home! This summer was the first and last time ) I decided to dye the top half of my hair with Garnier Nutrisse Extra-Lighten Golden Blonde. So after using this box dye, extra-light golden blonde was what I got...but I hated it. Despite the fact that it was the middle of summer and I was TANNED, I looked really washed out, and the colour was too 'allover' and one dimensional for my liking. So 3 days later, I dyed my hair with a Natural Instincts Dark Golden Blonde, which made absolutely no discernible difference, other than adding more chemicals to my head. 2 days after that, I used a Garnier shade in Light Brown. That made my hair a greyish ash brown colour with ashy highlights peeking through, not a good look. I finally booked an appointment with my colourist and a week later, he applied a warm golden brown demi-permanent colour allover my hair, and wove highlights throughout to keep some of the brightness I had grown accustomed to. He was doing the 'ombre style' of highlighting, which involves backcombing the hair prior to applying the bleach in order to make the highlights gradually fade. Eek, what damage! I was left with hair that looked pretty good, but literally, felt like STRAW. I couldn't run my fingers through my bangs for fear of them snapping off.

When I got home, I noticed that all of this dying had left me with a chunk of hair that was beyond being revitalized. It was so zig-zaggy and fried, and NO amount of deep conditioner could make it feel remotely like hair again. So I did the sensible thing, I shaved that section off :D

Now, 6 weeks after last dying my hair, I've decided that enough is enough. I am not going to ever dye my hair again! Well...at least not for the foreseeable future. My ends have been lightened and darkened so many times, ugh! My hair feels just awful. So I am at APL, growing out colour and highlights (as well as a mini buzz cut at my hairline) and trying to get my hair to waist! What a journey this will be...

So I'm calling everyone who is growing out blonde highlights and going back to natural to come grow with me! Share your woes, state your plans, and for goodness sake, add some photos :D

MY PHOTOS:
Me with my natural colour, 3 years ago: http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...23301439_n.jpg

The 'buzzcut' when I first cut it, 3 weeks ago: http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...26933670_n.jpg

The 'buzzcut' now, after three weeks of growth: http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...67420737_n.jpg

My roots, after colouring for the last time on Sept 3: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55597102_n.jpg

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I'm in! I just dyed my hair with semi-permanant dye natural instincts dark blonde (dune). I did the ombre look with it..so the ends of my hair are still light blonde. I did a low-light last week with dark blonde but decided to go darker. I went to sally's yesterday and had my roots matched to a swatch..which was "light ash brown"..ugh!!

I have been light blonde for over 20 years with bleach or dye. My hair on top is as dark as my roots down to just below my ears now. My husband said it turned out good and he loves it! BUT..I think the "addiction" or whatever it is with light blonde is sooo hard to let go. I have blue eyes and it makes them look super blue. I guess this is what I "actually" really look like. I haven't seen myself for years..lol.

SO I am holding on the the ombre look because I can't do an all over color..no way..it's to scary. I have literally been that "Blonde" too long. I am trying to not go tomorrow and buy light blonde and do it again..I like Zooey Deschenals hair. I never thought my hair was this dark now. It's not me...but it really is. I hope others can relate to the "split" feeling?

Grillz
October 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Count me in too!

My BSL hair is naturally dark/dirty blonde, which I started dying about 5 years ago. It went from strawberry blonde, to light reddish brown, to light brown, to a pretty shade of dark blonde, back to light brown. Over the summer I highlighted the light brown and did a few too many so I was accidentally blonde again with a really cool looking undertone of light brown. The upkeep is awful though. My roots are almost look gray compared to the blonde highlights and it makes for a weird greasy-looking effect. I just want to be done with hair dye and bleach :violin: I haven't been able to find a shade that matches my roots well enough to use over the highlights. "Dark blonde" hair color is usually too golden and light browns and beige browns are a little too brown... maybe I should just go gray... hmmm...:p

:toast: Cheers to our endeavor!

blondie9912
October 16th, 2011, 04:55 PM
joesgirl I've been there! Two years ago, I got my hair highlighted REALLY blonde at the end of August (why I did this at the end of summer as opposed to the beginning I will never know...) My roots came in awfully after just 4 weeks, so I went to get my hair lowlighted and nearly passed out from trauma at how dark it looked! Then and there I decided that I definitely look better blonde, am never dying my hair darker, etc. One thing I've learned, however, is that one's virgin, healthy, shiny hair looks 100x better than blonde hair dyed to 'appear' natural.

Grillz sounds like me this past summer :p Way too much colouring, I just want my natural, healthy, shiny hair back :(

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
joesgirl I've been there! Two years ago, I got my hair highlighted REALLY blonde at the end of August (why I did this at the end of summer as opposed to the beginning I will never know...) My roots came in awfully after just 4 weeks, so I went to get my hair lowlighted and nearly passed out from trauma at how dark it looked! Then and there I decided that I definitely look better blonde, am never dying my hair darker, etc. One thing I've learned, however, is that one's virgin, healthy, shiny hair looks 100x better than blonde hair dyed to 'appear' natural.

Grillz sounds like me this past summer :p Way too much colouring, I just want my natural, healthy, shiny hair back :(

I'm so happy I'm not the only one with that "trauma" when I go darker..lol My hair is a work in progress right now. I would love to rock darker hair.

Kristamommyx3
October 16th, 2011, 07:03 PM
This is perfect for me, too! I've gone through the blonde highlights to brown to blonde again and round and round... I decided with great certainty a few months ago, that I will ne er bleach out my hair again, si I have about four months of roots now, leaving e with that ombre look. I need this support group! :p

SilentGuardian
October 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ugh, I got some highlights about six months ago. Big mistake. I want to grow them out, I am trying to avoid dying my hair. I did a henna application and it turned them a light brown, but it's still so noticeable. I would so love to have a solid color again

blondie9912
October 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Krista as you remember from my old thread, so have I! Round and round and round...hopefully this time it will come to an end once and for all! You're ahead of me, so good luck with your growing :D

SilentGuardian, I know what you mean :( I feel like my hair has way too many colours in it, I just want my natural colour back

Good thing we can all support each other throughout this process! :flowers:

blondie9912
February 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM
This thread kind of died, here's a bump to see if we should continue it or if we're all better off as members of the 'Growing out natural? Share your progress' thread.

MaryMarx
February 8th, 2012, 03:00 AM
blondie9912, I can't see your pictures. :(
Is it only me?

blondie9912
February 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
blondie9912, I can't see your pictures. :(
Is it only me?

In my album? I don't see why you wouldn't be able to :(

Freyariane
May 30th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I can't see them too, it's because it's facebook.

Arciela
May 30th, 2012, 05:07 AM
hello all! :) I am growing out my blonde too! Been getting it bleached for about a year now and have too much damage. My hair normally grows very fast but with the bleaching it has not grown at all in an entire year! Time to grow out my natural hair :) good luck everyone!

Sisgoldenhair65
May 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm joining this thread too. I haven't touched up my roots in 2 months. It's not going to be easy but I'm going to give it my best shot! I've learned so much here at LHC about the damage of bleaching I just don't want to do it anymore. Wish me luck!!

cremenoir
May 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Hello all! It's been 1.5 years since my last blonde highlights. It's been a hard road and I've been *VERY* tempted to highlight again, but somehow, despite years of impulsive hair decisions, I've managed to stick it out.

I have 0-4 inches of highlights left on my length. Almost none in back, but still quite a bit up front. I LOVE the ombre look so much that as my highlights have grown out and now are being slowly eliminated as I trim them off, I've definitely been tempted to highlight again. But the myriad of split ends at the front of my hair, and the complete lack of them in back (where all the bleach has been cut off) are all the evidence I need to tell my better judgment that going natural is my only hope for long, truly healthy hair.

And I have to say that as far as I can tell, despite all the frustration of having to care for half healthy/half damaged hair as it has grown out, it really is worth it. There's nothing quite like virgin hair. You just can't imitate that natural sheen.