PDA

View Full Version : Howzat for contextualized advertisement ?

slz
October 16th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I just got a drain unclogging product ad here on the mane forum page.
Coïncidence ? I don't think so.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

einna
October 16th, 2011, 05:50 PM
These ads are freakishly accurate. Right now I am looking at an ad for a weekend trip to Copenhagen. I studied there for a semester...

Grillz
October 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I have one for Lice shampoo.. I sure hope these ads don't foreshadow!

rock007junkie
October 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I think it has to do with what our searches are. I was doing a search for Rooibos tea and a banner for some tea company came about.

Immera
October 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
It seems to know I searched google this morning for halloween shirts and last week for vacuum cleaners. There is more at work here than coincidence.

jaine
October 16th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah it's definitely related to your google searches and the websites you visit. I've been mattress shopping this weekend and all of my ads are for mattresses. :p

Yozhik
October 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Right next to this post is an ad for an outdoors wear company that I was browsing to buy a present for DBF.

Well, I paused in reading the thread and bought the present -- I guess their messages work on me! :o

slz
October 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah it's definitely related to your google searches and the websites you visit.
In the case of the unclogging stuff, well I assure you I never tried to buy any online ! Actually my drains are not clogged since I do not shed at all when shampooing - so it means it relates to the current page, I dunno, but the idea of someone setting the keywords for the product to appear and thinking "hmmmm .... let's put "long hair", too" just cracks me up :D .

katsrevenge
October 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Wait.. where are the ads?

pink.sara
October 17th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Lol, they are asking me to buy Orofluido online. I have no idea what that is.
Ad fail ;)

pepperminttea
October 17th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Wait.. where are the ads?

Do you have Ad-Block Plus on Firefox? I don't see them either - no complaints from me! :D

julliams
October 17th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Nah, mines for arthritis and I definitely don't have that... and another for buying a home and I already have one of those...

Of the Fae
October 17th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Hah! I have AdBlock too :D
Before I downloaded it I kept getting ads for healthy hair conditioner :P Damn you evil google ads!!

Nae
October 17th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Apparently the ads think I need Rider jeans and a Nissan Leaf. Interesting. I am pretty sure I haven't been googling either of those things. (I haven't bought jeans in ages and I am not in the market for any kind of car.) Weird.

katienoonan
October 17th, 2011, 05:12 AM
The worst example of this I have seen was on an article for the Daily Mail... the article was about a recovered anorexic and the advertisement was for diet pills... :rolleyes:

TheBluffs
October 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I have one from a Medical Group telling me 'Helping you Look and Feel your Best..
One Hair at a Time. :lol:

Tressie
October 17th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Baush & Lomb eye vitamins here! My eyes feel very grainy from inadequate sleep?! Drops, I need lubricating eye drops!! (o:

Misty'sMess
October 17th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I have a 'is your hair falling out?' ad...ummm I don't think so.

Kumiko033
October 17th, 2011, 05:25 AM
All I get are Edarling commercials :(
I honestly never searched for a datingsite bwahaha :D
They can sense that I'm single!

TheBluffs
October 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Remove that hair!
No thank you. :p

PinkyCat
October 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM
AXEhair
Tell her where to touch it next
Touch to expand

Innuendos anyone? Sheesh!

littlenvy
October 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Oh darn! I must have complained about my thin hair way too many times because all I get is the : buy 100% virgin Indan Remy hair ad
:p

TheBluffs
October 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM
'Need help? A counselor is waiting'
Okay, I know I'd like my hair to be lighter, but I don't need counseling.

Anje
October 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Mine are usually pretty odd, stuff for extensions and Ojon and other things I don't buy. But I've gotten a few for Gibco cell culture media..... they're getting closer to home and really weird simultaneously.

I've got Ad-Block, but I've disabled it for LHC. I figure the site could use the revenue.

Cirafly24
October 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I see an ad for long term hair removal right next to an ad for hair restoration, and above that is an ad for a flat iron! No, no, and no!

EdG
October 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Hair extensions. shudder:
Ed

coneyisland
October 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I got one for hair transplantation services, then one for a hair styling iron.

Mesmerise
October 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I kept getting one for a natural thinning hair/hair loss supplement...FINALLY I clicked on the ad out of curiosity... and ended up purchasing a three month supply :o.

littlenvy
October 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I kept getting one for a natural thinning hair/hair loss supplement...FINALLY I clicked on the ad out of curiosity... and ended up purchasing a three month supply :o.

So it does work! They say its a numbers game; looks like they are right.

Your hair looks very nice so I assume it worked out well? :)

TheBluffs
October 19th, 2011, 07:18 PM
"Transform Your Hair Into Straight, Frizz-Free Hair - #1 In Experience "

Mesmerise
October 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM
So it does work! They say its a numbers game; looks like they are right.

Your hair looks very nice so I assume it worked out well? :)

Ask me in three months, cause I only just bought it :D!!

It's also supposed to help reverse gray hair...so we'll see about that too! (Although I'm not holding my breath).