PDA

View Full Version : Cones--why are they bad?

Darkhorse1
July 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
hey gang,
I keep seeing people saying they don't use 'cones' in their products--why? Why are the 'cones' so bad? I know what you are talking about, but I don't understand the taboo.

Just curious to know---you guys have taught me loads! I have to say though, products with cones in them work well for my hair :)

Curlsgirl
July 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Cones are not good or bad really. It just depends on the person. I for one have done both and right now am using a "cone" conditioner pretty much every time I CWC. I find lately that my hair needs a little extra protection from the heat and wind of summer and to keep it from tangling and therefore breaking more easily. Some think they seal OUT moisture and they can cause buildup but of you use the proper cleansing method for the type of cone you are using then you will be okay in that regard. Others just find that cones help seal IN moisture and "agree" with their hair and others find their hair just seems to behave better with or without them. It's a PERSONAL PREFERENCE and that is all.

SweetPea88
July 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
The To Cone or Not to Cone Article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) is very helpful!

Riot Crrl
July 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
They are not Teh Devil in and of themselves.

If you do like I did and let them build up on your ends for decades while you only shampoo your roots and basically never clarify the ends, they can be a problem.

If you do like I do now and don't want to use shampoo at all, they can be a problem.

If you're OK with clarifying (your whole hair) sometimes, and you like them, they are A-OK.

Siava
July 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with using cones, but they do mask damage underneath buildup. You'll need to clarify periodically to see the true health of your hair.

Kiraela
July 4th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Cones really aren't bad, unless your hair doesn't like them. Some, like me, can't go without them or else our hair gets tangly, dull, and just plain weird. Actually, hiding damage is a good thing, in some respects, at least - if you're working on removing damage slowly, but want it to look good while you do (which is where I am)

Siava
July 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Kiraela, I agree with your point. I was just shocked to find a bunch of split ends. :(

joyinc
July 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I love cones :)

Darkhorse1
July 4th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Interesting. But, isn't that what any product does? I've read somewhere that hair, once it's growing out of your head, is dead (the length). Anything put on it is only for cosmetic reasons. I'm pretty sure the ends of your hair cant' absorb moisture--I could be wrong here, but I'm almost positive I read that somewhere. So, even the oils people use--that's just coating the strands/laying the cuticle flat so shine shows more.

I'm off to read that article/link! Thanks! I really enjoy all the info here! :)

I wash my hair every other day/2 days and use a clarifying shampoo or one for an oily scalp. I only wash the roots, but I let the soap slip down the ends. I'm pretty sure my ends get cleaned of build up :)

Riot Crrl
July 4th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Hair is dead. It can also absorb moisture. A dead piece of wood absorbs oil. Maybe not so well if it has silicone on it first.

I used to think that a little bit of heavily diluted shampoo runoff was cleaning my ends well enough. I guess I had cognitive dissonance from the fact that I'd applied a shine serum that took four scrubbings of Dial to remove from my hands.

Elfling
July 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Interesting. But, isn't that what any product does? I've read somewhere that hair, once it's growing out of your head, is dead (the length). Anything put on it is only for cosmetic reasons. I'm pretty sure the ends of your hair cant' absorb moisture--I could be wrong here, but I'm almost positive I read that somewhere. So, even the oils people use--that's just coating the strands/laying the cuticle flat so shine shows more.

I'm off to read that article/link! Thanks! I really enjoy all the info here! :)

I wash my hair every other day/2 days and use a clarifying shampoo or one for an oily scalp. I only wash the roots, but I let the soap slip down the ends. I'm pretty sure my ends get cleaned of build up :)

You'll have to take a clarifying shampoo all the way down the length eventually, if you're using a conditioner with -cones. Usually what I do is once every week or two I lather up well with TreSemme clarifying shampoo (no cones at all) and then I do a nice coconut oil/humectress deep conditioning treatment and leave it on for an hour or two.

bunnii
July 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I don't like cones, they make me too lazy with my hair, because they mask the damage - so i have more work with S&D when I stop using them. They also stop me from using oils, partly because the cones stop them from getting to the hair and partly because my hair looks nice so I think I don't need to oil. Coconut oil and Olive oil do penetrate the hair and so do moisturise from the inside, making it shine more, break less and look altogether better. I'm not sure if coney conditioners and leave-ins can do the same thing but my hair is happier without cones. :agree:

Kirin
July 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hair is indeed, dead. However, this does not change the properties of what it is. I am not an expert, but I think the best way to explain it is that though not alive, things can and do transfer in and out of the hair shaft. If hair did not have the ability to absorb anything deposited on it, hair colors wouldn't work either, nor henna.

Moisture, such as oils and other things have been debated which ones "penetrate" into the hair, but regardless of the method or product, it is all just temporary anyway.

Siliciones in effect, seal the outter shaft of hair putting a coating on it, that disallows anything else to get in. For some this is great news, as it forms a barrier of protection. For others, its disasterous, especially extremely dry hair that needs daily moisture "feeds" such as from humidity or topical products to keep it from breaking.

Darkhorse1
July 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Kewl! Since I work outdoors, I think cones protect my hair from the elements. I don't use serum or anything heavy on my hair--I'm not really that much of a girlie girl ;)

So, I could use olive oil on my ends instead of conditioner? Wouldn't that weight it down/make it greasy?

I'm going to ask my hair dresser about some of these suggestions as she has long hair too, and I'm curious now to get all sorts of input (fyi, I also LOVE doing research!)

Kiraela
July 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Siava, I'm sorry if I came across as snippy or anything, I didn't mean to!

Oils are great, if they work for you! Be warned, though, not everybody finds them helpful.

tomm
July 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Silicones in effect, seal the outer shaft of hair putting a coating on it, that disallows anything else to get in. For some this is great news, as it forms a barrier of protection. For others, its disastrous, especially extremely dry hair that needs daily moisture "feeds" such as from humidity or topical products to keep it from breaking.
A minor correction - Silicones do not seal the hair cuticle; they coat the cuticle, forming a film barrier that slows (but does not prevent) the transfer of moisture into or out of your hair. If 'cones really sealed the cuticle, then hair that was wet when the 'cone was applied would still be wet until it was removed.

The advantages of 'cones are that the film they form is very smooth - which is why conditioners with 'cones always feel so slippy - and very thin (so it doesn't take a lot to get the desired effect). The disadvantage is that many 'cones are tough to remove, some require a sulfate-based surfactant.

I hope this helps.

(edited to insert omitted comma)

bunnii
July 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Kewl! Since I work outdoors, I think cones protect my hair from the elements. I don't use serum or anything heavy on my hair--I'm not really that much of a girlie girl ;)

So, I could use olive oil on my ends instead of conditioner? Wouldn't that weight it down/make it greasy?

I'm going to ask my hair dresser about some of these suggestions as she has long hair too, and I'm curious now to get all sorts of input (fyi, I also LOVE doing research!)

My hair is happy in most weather with oil but i'm not that active (your avatar says you are :D) I use a very small amount for my almost waist length hair 1 or 2 drops, I bought a pump bottle to make it easier. also I just use extra virgin olive oil for cooking and I've been using it as a make up remover and facial cleanser, now my skin is healthier looking and the skin tone is more even ahhhh! the wonders of olive oil :D

HappyKarin
July 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I use cones and my hair loves it. Before I was without cones for 9 month, I almost hade to cut all my hair off.
In my opinion cones do not seal the hair so no moister can come in. My hair loves oils and cones together. But I have to use right cone product and oil for my hair. And that is different from person to person as always.
I wash my hair with the CWC method with no problems with cone build up. I can use it with cone shampoo or CV bars with no finishing ACV rinse….. No build up.
I only had build up ones and it was the conditioner I used who was the bad thing, not the cones them self.
But this is from hair to hair, do was it’s best for you. Try go cone free for a while and see what happens. Does your hair feel better, that is best for you. :)

Tabitha
July 5th, 2008, 01:23 PM
My experience with 'cones is that my hair becomes straighter (but not straight enough to look deliberately straight) and also extremely slippery and hard to manage: it won't stay in a braid and slips out of updos. It also looks lank before it actually needs washing.

Siava
July 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Kiraela, no no no! I didn't think you did at all. :) I actually didn't know cones could help with those prolonging trims and am very glad you posted that tidbit as it's very helpful. I thank you.

SweetPea88
July 5th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I have the same experience as Tabitha described. My hair definitely gets a lot smoother and has less frizz but it becomes straighter and has less body. I really love coconut oil and have found that it works great for me, especially when I don't use cones.