PDA

View Full Version : What is a soccer mom haircut/style?

pepperpot
October 16th, 2011, 05:45 AM
So, what exactly is a soccer mom hairstyle? I've tried googling images but thats been no help really, it just comes up with a variety of different hair cuts from short to long.

I've seen it mentioned on various forums, and I get that its a frumpy looking hairstyle, but what is it exactly? Is it a specific length? Cut? Down or tied back?

ETA: Please read my replies, e.g post 32. Just thought I would add that as people seem to be posting without reading what I've said.

luxepiggy
October 16th, 2011, 05:51 AM
This blog post covers most of the most commonly encountered "mom cuts": http://frothygirlz.com/2010/02/19/the-mom-haircut-hall-of-shame/

Also, Hillary Clinton's entire hair repertoire from the Clinton presidency through the current day has been comprised solely of mom cuts. Do a google image search on her, and behold! An entire page of examples :p

pepperpot
October 16th, 2011, 06:05 AM
This blog post covers most of the most commonly encountered "mom cuts": http://frothygirlz.com/2010/02/19/the-mom-haircut-hall-of-shame/

Also, Hillary Clinton's entire hair repertoire from the Clinton presidency through the current day has been comprised solely of mom cuts. Do a google image search on her, and behold! An entire page of examples :p

Whew! Thats a relief my hair is nothing like any of those!:D

Thats really helpful thanks!

ETA; I hope I'm not insulting anyone, sorry if that causes offence to anyone who does like that kind of style.

julliams
October 16th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I always thought it was a somewhat trendy dyed blonde higher than shoulders with lots of layers look. Trying to load the above page but it's taking it's time....

thelittlestdoc
October 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I always thought it was any style that ages you?

I played soccer as a kid (to take this very literally) and most of the moms had between chin- and shoulder-length hair. Usually with a copious amount of highlights or what was clearly an at-home dye job to cover the beginnings of gray hair. :rolleyes:

hs_atreides
October 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
"Sensible" bobs, then it morphed into APL with layers, and now the angled bob. I think anything that is labeled "easy styling" can qualify or any cut/style that keeps it short enough to be easy but long enough that the DH/DB don't freak out.

FrozenBritannia
October 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Victoria Beckham is about the trendiest soccer mom there is. Of course, most soccar moms seem to have a boat load of blonde streaks too. It's usually very "done" looking and doesn't move in the wind. Of course, not all soccar moms have this kind of hair, but that is the stereotype.

Aqua Gal
October 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Cracking up at the link from luxepiggy. Mainly because I've had most of those styles (not Gosselin) and was so happy at the time. (Rolls eyes)

I always thought soccer mom hair was more bland, less styled...I guess I'm showing my age here, so definitely do not listen to anything I have to say on the subject.

longhairedwolf
October 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I don't think there is a good definition for it. I think it's just a derogatory term that people use for styles that they don't like. I also think it's a bit of a dig against mothers, which bugs me a little. If I had to say what the term meant to me, I'd say it refers to hairstyles that are easy to maintain (and as a result are not as stylish) that are chosen by busy mothers who don't have a lot of time to spend on their hair.

spidermom
October 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
"Soccer mom cut" I think it's another example of people being stereotyped in a rude way, like us long-hairs are "leftover hippies" type of thing. Unkind and unfair.

racrane
October 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I've never really thought about soccer mom styles, but I guess I know lots of women who do have them. It's not a big deal. It's what makes people happy.

pepperminttea
October 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
"Soccer mom cut" I think it's another example of people being stereotyped in a rude way, like us long-hairs are "leftover hippies" type of thing. Unkind and unfair.

Agreed. My mother has a nondescript haircut, halfway between a long pixie and a chin length shag. She gets it cut into a long pixie about once a year and then the rest of the time I trim her fringe so she can still see, and the bottom layers to keep it from 'mulleting'. It's low maintenance for her and that's her choice. For her, it is "just hair" and it doesn't need to be anything more than that. :shrug:

battles
October 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM

Agreed, also.

Quetiepi
October 16th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Are soccer moms the same as wal-mart moms? I know it's a demographic because some marketing is targeted to them. I used to be a soccer mom, except it was little league when my children were young. I'm too old to be one now. I kind of like being called a crazy old hippie now. People make allowances for old ladies who are a little off their nut, and that means i can say some outlandish stuff and get away with it where I couldn't when I was young.

ktani
October 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM

I agree as well.

That picture of Angelina Jolie? Her hair was cut (the bangs) and hi-lighted like that for the film, The Tourist. She grew out the bangs and lost the hi-lights shortly thereafter.

There are a lot of bad hair styles out there, short, long and in-between.

"Soccer Mom" to me is disrespectful. Many moms at least spend time with their kids and drive them back and forth to games. I am very sure many of them look lovely too.

spidermom
October 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I see ponytails at the soccer field.

Lamb
October 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I don't think there is a good definition for it. I think it's just a derogatory term that people use for styles that they don't like. I also think it's a bit of a dig against mothers, which bugs me a little.

AGREED.

I absolutely loathe this term. To me, this is an expression straight out of the encyclopedia of mysoginy: because of course a mother with kids, sporting a not-office-appropriate hairstyle, is the "walking cliche" ) I forgot which LHC member said that) of outdated and bland. :rolleyes: [/irony]

Women, ladies, girls: let's no put each other down.

That mom in her SUV with 4 kids in the back, with her outgrown inverted bob, roots showing and all, is as valuable a human being as any one of us. It's just hair. The rest is either silence, or a very noisy home with those 4 kids...

Defining a person by his or her hairstyle is no better than defining the same person by the colour of their skin or their religion or anything else.

That's all I'm gonna say on the subject, because it tends to get my back up. :lipssealed:

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Ha Ha..love this thread! I am growing one out ....chin length..layers...sort of inverted bob..sensible..YUCK!!!

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM
For the record I have 7 children and I'm a grandmother to a 9 month old baby boy. :)

ktani
October 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have seen classic bobs that look fantastic when well cut and the "right" person is rocking it. "Right" is a person who suits the style and the style suits them.

It has been around a long long time and became popular because it suited many people well, http://www.retrohairstyles.com/1920s/louisebrooks.html.

Where things go wrong is when someone becomes "a slave to fashion" and overlooks the fact that not everyone is suited for a style that looks great on someone else.

Lilli
October 16th, 2011, 04:49 PM

I agree. I really like an angled bob, anyway. Looks neat and cute. The most ageing style that I can think of is too many 2" layers all over the head, frosted and sprayed. It always ages a person.

Lamb
October 16th, 2011, 04:49 PM
For the record I have 7 children and I'm a grandmother to a 9 month old baby boy. :)

At the age of 39? Wow - are any of your 7 kids stepchildren to you?

blondie9912
October 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I'd say the defining characteristic of a soccer mom hairstyle is too many layers that are too short, and often too bluntly cut. Also the frosted highlights (even if one's natural colour is dark) is part of the look :D

Quetiepi
October 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Lots of layers plus highlights sounds like a lot of maintenance to me. When do folks find the time?

kidari
October 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I think it's a shorter hairstyle anywhere from a pixie to shoulder length, with lots of layers and usually highlights that is trendy but really quick and easy to style. Anything that has been done to the hair to make it have volume without much effort to style it really adds to the soccer mom factor like the shorter length and especially the super short mullet like layers cut in the crown area.

kidari
October 16th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Lots of layers plus highlights sounds like a lot of maintenance to me. When do folks find the time?

I think the key to the soccer mom hair is that it's easy to quickly style at home day-to-day but it requires frequent trips to the salon so they do all the work for you and it allows for some pampering me time that moms deserve.

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 06:29 PM
5 are mine and 2 are step kids...ages 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 17 and 19...lol

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
At the age of 39? Wow - are any of your 7 kids stepchildren to you?

I hope im doing this right.

5 are mine and 2 are step....ages 6,8,9,13, 17 and 19..lol

joesgirl2011
October 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I hope im doing this right.

5 are mine and 2 are step....ages 6,8,9,13, 17 and 19..lol

woops forgot willow..shes 10..lol

TessieAnn
October 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Please see at least one discussion of soccer mom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_mom). My first awareness of this term was in association with support of suburban women for Clinton in the 1996 election.

Defining trends is one thing. Stereotyping, especially when it becomes derogatory and lists toward prejudice is always reprehensible.

What I like about LHC is that so many here have objected to the derogatory flavor of "soccer mom hair." I'd imagine some of the other hair forums might not be so enlightened.

There are so many complaints in LHC archives from long hair folk feeling criticized by others for their choices. I'd like to think that they/we don't turn around and do the same thing to those with different aesthetics and needs. :flowers:

jasper
October 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM

This is what I thought too.

Also, I went to see my friends' kids play soccer last weekend didn't notice any pervasive hairstyles.

pepperpot
October 17th, 2011, 02:46 AM

I see your point. I hope you don't think I'm being derogatory and rude. I was just asking what a soccer mom hairstyle is because I genuinely don't know. Maybe its becuase I'm from the UK - we don't use the term "soccer" here, we say football, and I've never heard anyone being called a soccer mom til I came to this forum.

I just wanted to know what it means. :confused: Sorry :shrug:

ETA: I did already apologise for the potential to cause offence right before I started getting offended replies, so obviously no one read that. So I've apologised twice now. Thanks to those of you who did answer my question though, i.e what kind of cut and style this term refers to.

duchesswannabe
October 17th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I've never really thought about soccer mom styles, but I guess I know lots of women who do have them. It's not a big deal. It's what makes people happy.

I'm pressing the fictional like button for this statement. I notice that everything has to have a name in this day and age, when 20-30 years ago people were sporting all types of short haircuts, no matter how high maintenance, and no one said "boo."

Mesmerise
October 17th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I never thought of the "soccer mom" hairstyle as "frumpy" more a "trendy" style for the 30s to 40s, that usually involved some sort of layered look with highlights (whether somewhat longer or a pixie type).

I don't see it in a negative way, more sort of a trend-keeping thing among middle class moms, who don't want a dated hairstyle.

It's probably not something that would appeal to me, because I'm more into having my hair naturally coloured, and don't really feel the need to be toooo trendy, and really I just like to go my own way and do what I feel suits me. This may mean adopting aspects of a current trend or not, depending on what I like. But I don't really feel the need to fit in with the crowd and adopt whatever the current hairstyle is.