PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you get extensions?

Kapri
October 16th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Dear all,
I need a bit of encouragement and also what do you ladies think of hair extensions? I have read that they can pull out existing hair. I've looked for a thread and can't find one.

My sis in law suggested getting extensions yesterday having asked me why my ends are so thin. She looked at me with a really puzzled expression on her face!

I am working on many aspects of LHC haircare and was really pleased by a recent trip to the Trichologist? My hair has just been cut to shoulder length and I was feeling that it looked relatively thick and swingy.

My hair is thin because we are a fine haired family, it is recovering from being box colour dyed, the layers are not grown down fully and I have had issues with pco related hair loss etc and still do.

I'd value advice re extensions ..she has very thick hair (like UltraBellas) and is beautiful ,,but has been to Antena in London and said that the way extensions were woven in meant that there was no damage.

Also, I feel bad about the fact that someone with a good visual eye is commenting on how thin my ends/lower lengths are in a recently trimmed shoulder lenght cut!!! She was not trying to be hurtful just to be helpful.

Misty'sMess
October 16th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Personally I would never get extensions. I think there are too many other things to be worrying about. You should enjoy the hair you have. Everyone is different, if we were all the same (ie thick haired) the world could be very boring. :)

Fethenwen
October 16th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I feel a little bit the same way about extensions as getting a boobjob or something, it is just as fake.

Though getting a wig because of loosing ones hair from chemotherapy or a boobjob after loosing them from breast cancer is totally different.

Be happy for what you have I say. Having long hair that is my own makes me proud, even if it isn't super thick. I have seen many longhairs with thinner hair and they look magnificent.

|Xei
October 16th, 2011, 06:37 AM
As far as I know, extensions only start pulling out your own hair if you don't get them touched up/reinstalled regularly as advised, or if you're not taking care of them properly (eg. washing roughly, tearing a brush through them, etc).

Certain types of extensions are also much friendlier than others. So if you're really interested in getting them done, I would advise for you to look into your options.

thelittlestdoc
October 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
No matter what, extensions are ultimately going to cause damage. It doesn't matter if they're individually glued, a tape weave, clip-ins, etc, for various reasons they will all hinder your efforts to grow out healthy, natural, and thick hair.

Where extensions are attached to your hair/scalp they put added stress and weight which can cause damage to the hair shaft as well as the follicles. Your natural hair can easily be caught on your extensions, causing further damage.

Extensions also require a different kind of haircare than the rest of your hair (different products to keep them looking nice, many of which are not exactly LHC approved). Without heat-styling, they can look very unnatural since they usually do not match the exact length and texture of your natural hair.

Basically--extensions are rarely a good idea. Very occasional use of clip-ins is going to give you minimal damage if you're determined to use them at all.

Honestly not trying to rain on your parade. I just know quite a few people who've had a horrible time rehabilitating their hair after extensions. It's not pretty :(

thelittlestdoc
October 16th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Also, I'm sure your recent trim looks fine--people who are naturally blessed with healthy, thick hair often think that normal/fine hair looks thin. Embrace your texture and thickness as is and keep on with your LHC care! :)

Maverick494
October 16th, 2011, 07:04 AM
There are less damaging ways of getting hair extensions than those that are glued, woven into your hair.

This site: http://www.luxyhair.com/ offers clip-in hair extensions which are very easy to use. I have a set myself which I used in the summer when I wanted to give my brown hair some blonde highlights without causing damage. I had a nice summer do without sacrificing anything and now winter is coming I have boxed them away till next spring/summer.

Here is a video that shows how to put them in. You can then judge for yourself what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAnuW1AllA

I know many people look upon hair extensions as being as fake as breast implants, but in that regard many things are fake. Using foundation/concealer to give the illusion of flawless skin, eyeliner and mascara to accentuate your eyes, contacts instead of glasses, hair dye for your hair, flattering clothes to hide your tummy and thighs, high heels to give the illusion of height and long legs, etc. etc. What woman is 100% natural these days?

The only problem you might come across using hair extensions is getting used to the thickness you get with them and never being able to wear your hair loose without them because the difference is too great.

My hair is already at WL length and my extensions (I used the thinnest version) were only used as highlights, not for added thickness. Therefore I can go somewhere without them because there's not a length difference.

Maktub
October 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I don't like extensions either... I'd love that people learn to embrase their natural beauty and take care of their health in the best way instead

(I do understand in case of cancer, handicap, etc. though)

zirena
October 16th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Honestly, I don't believe that extensions are a bad idea. If you really want them, go for it! It's your hair, you're allowed to do whatever you like with it. I assume you won't be wearing them every day and as long as you take that extra bit of care and research what will be best for your hair if you are growing it, I don't see a problem. :)

isabelx
October 16th, 2011, 07:21 AM
I wore clip in extensions for around 2 years, every day, (shudder:) until I decided to grow and look after my hair.

I wore 5 full length extensions (they go from one side of your head all the way round to the other) they were extremely heavy, and after a few hours of wear gave me a huge headache, I never looked after them properly, and after getting home after a long day I just tore them out as I could never wait to remove them. :wail:

I wore them a few nights ago as I was going out for a meal, they were so uncomfortable and just annoying I have no idea how I used to put up with them every day! They must've thinned and weakened my hair considerable amounts, and they always used to end up as a tangled mess with my own hair.

Personally after my own experience they aren't worth it, plus I used to buy good quality human hair ones, so they were considerably expensive. I'm now embracing my short hair, but it's now miles healthier and I'm on my way to long, natural hair! :D

trillian
October 16th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hey Kapri,

I actually don't know anyone who has extensions. Does your sister in law have them? Or did she just suggest them. If she has them, maybe you could go with her to her next appointment and watch her having them put it, and check out her hair a little closer and see what it looks like.

You could also try calling the salon and seeing if they would let you watch part of an extension installation (technical term there?) I would hope that a professional stylist would not only be able to show you photos of his / her work, but would let you see how they do it, with the clients permission. That might give you a better idea of how your hair would react.

Also, I like Maverick's idea of clip ins, that way you can see if they are something you really want, and if it would make the difference you want in your hair. If it does, you could then look in to something more permanent so to speak.

Yeah, they might cause some damage, but truthfully? If you're not happy with how your hair looks, and this will make you happy with it, I'd say go for it. Of course, if you like your hair, and feel that your trim makes you look swingy, and pretty, then ignore your sister in law.

Kapri
October 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I really appreciate all these encouraging and kind comments.

1. My sis in law used them recently just to see what her hair would look like with blonder streaks in it. She was very pleased with the effect and said it grew out in 2 months and was not damaging. But she has super healthy, straight, no greys in it, bsl to waistline hair and her daughter has even thicker hair. In other words, she isn't contending with naturally fragile.

2. I really take the point about someone with thick hair being puzzled with someone's hair being thin. Several of you mentioned that and I found that helpful. I actually dread her feedback at the moment!

3. There is a London salon offering free consultations at the moment and I think I'll make an appointment and ask about the damage issue etc etc just from an info point of view.

Thank you those of you who had some experience with the issues with extensions!!

Clip ons ..great idea!

4. But quite a bit of me would like to get the layers right down and work on the condition a bit more before I even go there --- my sense is that I'll leave that step until I've done more to get my hair to optimal condition.

You have been so helpful! xx

torrilin
October 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I don't think extensions are a good idea for most people. They're very expensive, and the maintenance routine is similar to the routine a lot of very long haired women use... which is pretty much the opposite of what society says is ok. Many salons who focus on white customers will give you inaccurate care advice, which means your extensions won't last as long. Not all, but... it's definitely not a straightforward thing to do.

By comparison, growing your hair is pretty easy. Ignore advertising, and skip as many haircuts as you can while making sure your split ends get trimmed off.

Panth
October 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
As far as the issues go, other than the ones already mentioned, it's that often with clip-ons it's advised to backcomb the hair they'll be clipped to, to give a more dense, more structured area for the extension to hang onto. Repeated backcombing will damage the hair.

The other issue being that some stylists will not always be focused on, or even register or know about, the damage done. If they are primarily doing extensions for people as a style in its own right, or as a temporary long hair (with a style-change likely in a few months to a year), or for someone who wants to long-term fake long hair then they won't be focused on hair health in the same way as you are, considering you want to use them as a temporary measure while your natural hair is getting longer/thicker.

That said, if you feel like they would make you feel happier/prettier/more confident/whatever then go get them. If you felt your hair was thick and nice before and it's just your SIL's comment that's made you feel like it's not ... well, ignore her. :p She's got naturally thick hair and has not had hair loss - of course your hair is going to be thin compared to what she's used to.

(Also, as an aside, if anywhere says you will get no damage from their extensions, run a mile. Everything causes some sort of damage - washing, combing, wearing it loose - everything. It's a question of how much damage is caused and is that damage outweighed by the positive aspects, such as how they'll make you feel. The same goes for just about everything in haircare - to dye or not?, to wear it loose or wear protective updos?, to use heat-straightening or not?, to blow dry or not?, to use chemical straightening/perms or not?, etc., etc., etc.)

Kapri
October 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Torrilin and Panth,

Thank you too!

I think I was feeling okish about my hair when I went over to see my sis in law. I know my hair is in the process of getting thicker ,it's en route rather than the finished article, but perhaps her comments have wobbled me much more than is necessary.

Panth, the point about wear and tear being part of the deal whatever you do is well made... it's a good global point about hair care.

Interestingly, my sis in law popped some lovely conditioner on my ends while I was there, for me to try it out, and then proceeded to rip a comb through the ends as well. For her that is no deal. For my hair that is such a 'no no' ..I finger comb my hair whenever I can. In other words, she's not thinking about damage in relation to fragile hair.

I'll let all this sit with me. It's about feeling good on my terms isn't it? My sis in law and my oldest friend are both stunning with head-turningly beautiful hair and I just have to stop comparing myself because it's a trap.

Re extensions ..having had all this encouragement, I'll see how I get on first with great hair care.

xxx

UltraBella
October 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I have a stylist in my salon that does several different types of hair extensions, they all damage your hair except the clip in kinds.

Kapri
October 16th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Ultrabella,

Thank you for the insider info!

Well, when I'm a bit further with my hair, I may try out some clip-ons just to see how it looks.

longhairedwolf
October 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I know many people look upon hair extensions as being as fake as breast implants, but in that regard many things are fake. Using foundation/concealer to give the illusion of flawless skin, eyeliner and mascara to accentuate your eyes, contacts instead of glasses, hair dye for your hair, flattering clothes to hide your tummy and thighs, high heels to give the illusion of height and long legs, etc. etc. What woman is 100% natural these days?

The only problem you might come across using hair extensions is getting used to the thickness you get with them and never being able to wear your hair loose without them because the difference is too great.

I completely agree with this. If you want extensions, go for them. There's no law that says that long hair has to be natural. You should weigh the pros and cons (including the ones that Maverick mentioned). If you decide to go for the extensions, then good luck and enjoy!

spidermom
October 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Getting extensions never occurred to me, but I don't think I'd like them. It's hard enough to get used to new length when it grows in gradually. I don't think I'd be very happy having to all of a sudden deal with an extra 6-12 inches of hair.

LaceyNg
October 16th, 2011, 03:18 PM
hey there!

you might want to look into Effortless Extensions (im not affilliated in any way)

http://www.effortlessextensions.com/index.php/video-gallery/

its hair thats attached to a string thing, and you just kind if drape it on all at once. kind of hard to explain, but the link goes to their video gallery so you can see what i mean.

seems like it wouldnt damage the air at all!

as far as clip-in's go IMO, even they still damage th hair to some extent, b/c they're still pulling on the hair :/

HTH's!

cheetahfast
October 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
hey there!

you might want to look into Effortless Extensions (im not affilliated in any way)

http://www.effortlessextensions.com/index.php/video-gallery/

its hair thats attached to a string thing, and you just kind if drape it on all at once. kind of hard to explain, but the link goes to their video gallery so you can see what i mean.

seems like it wouldnt damage the air at all!

as far as clip-in's go IMO, even they still damage th hair to some extent, b/c they're still pulling on the hair :/

HTH's!

I saw those once in person!! It looked really nice and blended well. I was getting my hair done and the hairstylist over was showing to the girl who's hair she was doing since it matched perfectly. I think it would be annoying to wear daily, I'm happy waiting for my hair to grow.

ravenreed
October 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I have never gave extensions much thought but after reading this article, I would probably say to think twice. Article on extensions. (http://news.yahoo.com/hair-extensions-beauty-trend-dangerous-beauty-192152597.html) From the article, it sounds like you need a very experienced stylist before considering extensions.

kidari
October 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Back when I wanted to grow out my hair I looked into it and immediately knew that permanent extensions were not for me. It is incredibly expensive but more importantly very damaging and extremely time consuming. I was lucky enough that I personally know some people with extensions and they tell me it's a nightmare to take care of and it feels bothersome against their scalp and the worst of it all is when it can come out with your real hair attached to it from the root! I really feel that long term use could possibly cause permanent thinning of your hair. I recommend wearing your hair up all the time and then clipping in temporary extensions on special occasions once in a while. I got them in APL and wore my real hair up all the time. That way nobody really suspected anything.

ScarlettAdelle
October 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Extensions are a very personal choice. I choose not to get them because I have very curly, super fine hair and combing it is already an issue without having to worry that my hair is matting around the extensions.

The pros of extensions for me don't outweigh the cons. I have given people estensions behind the chair, and taken them out, and to me, the potential damage is not worth the instant gratification. I've yet to find a (virtually) non damaging form of extensions, and since my goal is to have healthy, virgin hair to my fingertips, extensions would be counterproductive for me. Plus, it's nigh impossible to find hair that long to install.

Kapri
October 17th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Lonewolf, Hi. I agree with your comment in the sense that I’m not too hung up about whether everything is natural. That said, the level of maintenance involved in extensions + the potential damage is of more concern to me. I'm 51 and the level of maintenance just to look ok sometimes astonishes me!! (smile).

LaceyNQ. I like the idea of trying the Effortless Extensions at some point. I’d never heard of that method. Thanks. Cheetahfest useful annecdotal evidience too.

But I’ve also found the latest salutary comments about the upkeep etc of extensions and their effect very persuasive so I’m sticking with plan A for the moment which is just to give my hair the loving treatment it needs to be its best AND to work on excellent nutrition and getting my hormones as balanced as possible. It’s health, hair care and then I’ll reconsider. I really appreciate this site and the feedback it so helps to get things off the chest and discussed!

Xxx to you all

Kapri
October 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
One final thing. I dyed my roots yesterday with a coconut oil pre-soak and a wash and condition and further condition just for the ends. And my hair looks fab.

I was trying to give my shoulder length bob some swing and weight at the weekend, and I think I made it look much stringier than it does when I wash it well and condition only the mid-lengths to ends with a really rich conditioner. I may well have over done the conditioning and accentuated its fineness when my sis in law made her comment. !

(I should add that I'm transitioning from dark brown permanent hair colour (Tints of Nature and /Daniel Field watercolours) to a lighter, dark blonde ultimately to move to demi=permanent or even brown henna.)

slz
October 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I don't have extensions for the same reason I don't have a prosthetic leg or dentures : I grow my own hair, I wouldn't have any use for fake hair. But then again, I've never been into instant gratification : the knowledge that I can have something, even if it implies lots of waiting / work (even years) is enough for me to get going and work happily towards the goal. I see no need in having something right away at a given cost (here : my own hair's health), if I can get it later with enough work and time and without the cost.

Besides, since when talking about hair extensions, the cost of the instant gratification is giving up your ability to ultimately reach your goal by yourself (damaging your hair too much so that you won't be able to grow it), it is so counter productive that it baffles me that some people might go for it just for the instant gratification - which in my books weights so much less than the real deal. Oh well, different approaches.

Kumiko033
October 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Simply because there are enough options with shoulder length hair, you'd be suprised :)

Kapri
October 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
:)Kumiko ..hoorah. I actually think it's a really nice length on me now that the cut is not being swamped by the wrong amount of conditioner!

SlZ ..yes, there is something in the quality and length of our hair being the fruit of our labours ..I relate to that!

x

Luna12345
October 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I heard from a professional hairstylist that extensions can make your hair fall out....so your hair may become even thinner.

Kapri
October 20th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Luna..love your cut. You look like you have amazing thick hair if that is you in the avatar pic.

Yup for the moment I'm going to focus in hair health and I have also really valued the info about alternative forms of extensions etc On balance, I am happier now about the hair situation than I was. It still looks nice today after a wash 2 days ago and I got a really nice compliment at work from a friend who doesn't say anything unless she really thinks it!