PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera gel = no shedding!

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM
So I am trying different things to ease and control what I now think is seb derm on scalp. I've learnt that washing every other day really helps, oiling my scalp causes me shedding (which I feel has left my hair noticeably thinner but probably not to anyone else), also co equals shedding so back to shampoo and conditioner I go with the best results.

Today I have just tried rubbing FOTE aloe gel straight onto dry scalp and triple moon annointing oil through length, left for 30 minutes then shampoo condition as normal. What has blown my mind is that after the shower I went to de-hair the plug as I have always done, normally a small clump, but today? Nothing! Not. One. Hair!! This has never happened to me as far as I can remember and I am just hoping that it is the gel and I can make this part of my wash routine now and continue this trend. If it also helps the seb derm in the process I am ordering this stuff my the bucket! Anyone else experienced these results?

clarinette
October 16th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hey!! i noticed something like this too but i never linked the 2 things!! i put aloe vera gel before my jojoba oil on my hair the other day just to give my bun a bit more grip, and indeed, i didn't shed for a few days now, there' normally handfulls going out when i rince after washing, when i fingercomb etc, but not these last 2 days, not ONE hair. i mean maybe one lol, maybe more, but nothing like the "omg i'm going to be bald soon at this rate" thing i usually get. Thanks for pointing that out, i need to test that again to see if it's linked but it seems to be....

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Hey!! i noticed something like this too but i never linked the 2 things!! i put aloe vera gel before my jojoba oil on my hair the other day just to give my bun a bit more grip, and indeed, i didn't shed for a few days now, there' normally handfulls going out when i rince after washing, when i fingercomb etc, but not these last 2 days, not ONE hair. i mean maybe one lol, maybe more, but nothing like the "omg i'm going to be bald soon at this rate" thing i usually get. Thanks for pointing that out, i need to test that again to see if it's linked but it seems to be....
Your very welcome! If it helps you too it will be wonderful, I know exactly what you mean about thinking one day your going to wake up bald! I got to the stage after some heavy coconut oil sessions of asking my mum if my hair was thinning out (she despaired as she is only used to getting these questions from my brother!!) hope the results continue for us both!!

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Your very welcome! If it helps you too it will be wonderful, I know exactly what you mean about thinking one day your going to wake up bald! I got to the stage after some heavy coconut oil sessions of asking my mum if my hair was thinning out (she despaired as she is only used to getting these questions from my brother!!) hope the results continue for us both!!

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 03:49 AM

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 04:00 AM
How awkward! *blushes* sorry about the insane posting... I'm not going to delete as I'm sure I'm not allowed. So here it is, my technology ineptness for all to see! :D

Misty'sMess
October 16th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I mix aloe vera gel into my shampoo every wash and have discovered that the days between washes has lengthened. I used to wash my hair very two days but now it is only once or twice a week. For some reason the aloe vera keeps my hair cleaner for longer.

WaitingSoLong
October 16th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I love AVG. Never thought to put it on my scalp though!

My scalp dermatitis mysteriously disappeared several months ago and I have NO IDEA WHY. I have had it as long as I can remember, raised sore places, little scabs and even gets crusty from time to time.

I use AVG as a facial moisturizer under make-up. I have super sensisitve skin and this has been a godsend to finally be able to moisturize my face.

I would even apply it and leave it on. I use an AVG/water mix (mostly water) to spritz my hair. IT makes soft but long lasting braid waves if I spritz my braid heavily and let it set all night. My scalp issues disappeared before I started the AVG or I would attribute it to that.

irishlady
October 16th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Wow really? *makes mental note to buy some aloe vera gel*

hs_atreides
October 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I'd like to try this, as I have been shedding like crazy and happen to have AVG on hand anyway. I have been using post wash, before a dab of oil. It helps with styling, keeps it feeling lovely. But, I don't want to be using a cone shampoo/conditioner if it's going to keep it from absorbing.

WHat kind of shampoo/conditioner are you using? Cone/no-cone?

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'd like to try this, as I have been shedding like crazy and happen to have AVG on hand anyway. I have been using post wash, before a dab of oil. It helps with styling, keeps it feeling lovely. But, I don't want to be using a cone shampoo/conditioner if it's going to keep it from absorbing.

WHat kind of shampoo/conditioner are you using? Cone/no-cone?

I used Lush Soak & Float shampoo bar and then Tresseme Naturals conditioner on mid length and then Biolage Conditioning Balm on ends. I airdry until slightly damp and this wash I added Redken Anti-snap as I have discovered my hair likes protein and cones!! - tried leaving the cones out recently and just not happy with my hair as a result, looked awful and like it needed hacking off so I am compromising now by using cone free in shower and adding cones in the form of a leave in towards the ends if hair. Hope this is helpful to you.

Great suggestions from the rest of you, might have to try the gel directly in the shampoo if I can stretch my washes a little again as a result!!

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry sorry sorry if this post appears twice or a million times, it is saying it has already posted but it is not showing up in the thread so I'm trying again...

I used Lush Soak & Float shampoo bar and then Tresseme Naturals conditioner on mid length and then Biolage Conditioning Balm on ends. I airdry until slightly damp and this wash I added Redken Anti-snap as I have discovered my hair likes protein and cones!! - tried leaving the cones out recently and just not happy with my hair as a result, looked awful and like it needed hacking off so I am compromising now by using cone free in shower and adding cones in the form of a leave in towards the ends if hair. Hope this is helpful to you.

Great suggestions from the rest of you, might have to try the gel directly in the shampoo if I can stretch my washes a little again as a result!!

Hamh
October 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM

I seem to be having problems posting, trying this way to see if it will accept. Sorry if it ends up diplicated!!!

Hamh
October 17th, 2011, 12:07 AM
No cones in the shower but a coney leave-in on the ends. Tried cone free and my hair did not like me very much!!

hs_atreides
October 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM
That sounds like a great idea. I haven't found cones to be problematic and have no need to shun them entirely.
Thanks! :)

MissAlyssa
October 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I really want to try this to see if it will help with my shedding and help me stretch washes :) I have some aloe vera gel from trader joe's it says it's 99% pure, will this work? The first ingredient is water but the second is aloe, and trader joe's wouldn't have any weird chemicals in their stuff right? Also its clear so its not the kind just for sunburns I think...

Hairitic
October 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I love Trader Joes but not everything they sell is "GOOD". Read the labels on some of the cereals for example. If the corn and soy ingredients aren't Organic, then they are almost certain to be GMOs :confused:. That is the case for almost every non-organic processed food out there :mad:. What I'm trying to say is that we must all educate ourselves and and take the time to read labels critically. That being said, my guess is that the Aloe Vera you got there is probably fine if there are no other ingredients listed.

irishlady
January 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Wow!
I put some on my scalp, with coconut oil on my ends before washing today. I wash with a cross between S&C and CWC....and no shedding!
It was actually a bit creepy, since I'm used to having lots of hair fall out, but this time there were only about 2 hairs maximum.
I'll see how this goes.

ratgirldjh
August 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone still doing this? Still having good results? I noticed this also when I use AVG and thought perhaps it was glueing my hair in place or something since I ended up with bad build up. However I was using it as a CO wash. Since then I've used it after washing and before and not had build up but instantly notice less shedding if I haven't used it in a while. My scalp really seems to prefer AVG to oils I have also found.

Bunnysaur
August 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hmmm...
Has anyone tried aloe vera JUICE? I'm thinking I might be able to use it as a spray...

xltorresx
August 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Ive got to try this! :)

ratgirldjh
August 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Hmmm...
Has anyone tried aloe vera JUICE? I'm thinking I might be able to use it as a spray...

My hair didn't like the juice as much as the FOTE. It is more acidic and just didn't do enough conditioning. Wouldn't hurt to try it though :)

HEY未来
August 14th, 2012, 08:13 PM
My Boss drink Aloe juice and told me its really good for you. I'm new at all this and Aloe vera seems like it could be something to try that seems affordable.

vanillabones
August 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hm I never considered AVG before considering it might be too heavy for my hair... but if it cuts down shedding and washing I definitely will. Especially once I start having enough hair to curl, I need them to hold!

kitcatsmeow
August 15th, 2012, 05:17 AM
Well today (maybe tomorrow) is wash day for me so I'm giving this a try! I don't have a lot of hair fall but heck....none would be super!

AineMuirne
August 15th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Hmm... I may have to try this. I don't lose much hair, but I'd like to lose even less!

Hamh
August 15th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I have to be honest and say I do get lazy with the pre stuff! This has fallen by the wayside for me and I've had a big shed recently that made me convinced to try again and maintain this routine if I get the same results again. Wash day tomorrow so will update then how I get on.

Rinna
August 15th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'm so glad to have stumbled on this thread!

I shed A LOT, always have, but since starting Curly Girl routine and not combing my hair, there's a lump the size of a small cat in the drain after my weekly washing. Have to try AVG!

WickedLady
August 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I'm curious now to try this. I have shedding due to a medical condition however scalp oilings dont seem to help the shedding department. I would like to try the AVG instead before shower. I'll start with that since i dont want ot mess with my hair too much after the shower when its wet.

What kind of AVG do you guys use? can you link?

Anyone still doing this? Still having good results? I noticed this also when I use AVG and thought perhaps it was glueing my hair in place or something since I ended up with bad build up. However I was using it as a CO wash. Since then I've used it after washing and before and not had build up but instantly notice less shedding if I haven't used it in a while. My scalp really seems to prefer AVG to oils I have also found.

WickedLady
August 15th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yea theres no way i could not brush my hair when it dries. I just recently started air drying my hair again instead of heat even though my hair is so thin i tell ya it does wonders to the feel and softness and not dry. But the frizz is horrible for me lol. The lumps of hair i get varies with each shower and how much i mess with my hair. I would like to try the AVG and see if it has a different reaction then the weekley oilings i do with JCBO/ Grapeseed oil.

I'm so glad to have stumbled on this thread!

I shed A LOT, always have, but since starting Curly Girl routine and not combing my hair, there's a lump the size of a small cat in the drain after my weekly washing. Have to try AVG!

catamonica
August 15th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I use it in my conditioner & on my ends. And on my face. It's great stuff. Makes the hair real soft.

Hamh
August 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Ok washed my hair tonight instead. Started to rub FOTE into scalp but got bored so thought I'd follow someone's advice here and added it to shampoo. Seem to have had good results again I'm pleased to say!! Lost a few hairs but have had hair bunned all day and it was definately a lot less than I'm used to!! Think I might try putting in a spritz bottle with water next time to make it easier to get to scalp and hey if I dont I will definately just mix with shampoo at least!

Bunnysaur
August 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I tried it earlier and left it in for a while before showering. I wasn't hoping for a miracle, but I was still a bit disappointed :(
Although I don't have the pure stuff, mine is water, aloe, and a few preservatives. Hopefully I'll get to try the pure stuff out soon.

renia22
August 18th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Last night after I saw this thread I saw that I had some Aubrey Organics aloe in the fridge (this stuff is pretty pure & therefore liquid-y and needs to be refrigerated). I poured some on a cotton ball & dabbed it on my scalp last night. 6 hairs came out in the shower..hmmmm interesting (1 came out when I combed it when I got out of the shower, plus a few when I blew it dry). I have been using some shampoos that I think are helping, but that for me is like nothing. I wonder if aloe in a shampoo would be beneficial too? I have heard raves about Green People Aloe Shampoo (though you can only buy it online & it's not cheap..but if it would help reduce shedding, I wouldn't care. I have spent a small fortune on crap that doesn't work as it is).