PDA

View Full Version : My routine; any other tips for faster growth/healthier hair?

amberpotamus
October 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'm already doing quite a few things to hopefully speed up my growth and make sure what's growing is extra healthy, but I'm really hoping for as much growth as possible before my vacation at Christmas. Here's what I already do:

Foods I'm eating extra:
bananas
salmon or trout
wheat germ in yogurt
scrambled eggs
lots and LOTS of water! (okay, not exactly a food)

Vitamins:
One a Day Women's Plus Healthy Skin
5mg of Biotin (mild breaking out, but some of that was still due to the Lysine [see below], and it seems to be clearing a little)
800mcg Folic Acid (mostly just because I already had it before I got the multi)
3mg of B12 (also because I was already taking it for anemia)
1mg MSM
tried 1mg a day of Lysine, but it made me break out like CRAZY so I quit

Products:
every other day rotating s/c's, most frequently L'Oreal EverPure or Giovanni
was using a red chemical dye but just bought henna to replace that
also just bought amla but haven't received it yet
ACV or tea rinse whenever I wash
coconut oil and EVOO scalp massage with a variety of EO's (usually peppermint, tea tree, eucalyptus, and spearmint) once a week
also just bought Camellia oil

Tools:
plastic comb just to part my hair (I'll be buying both a wooden and a horn wide toothed comb when I have enough hair to justify a need for them)
cheap bbb--only a swipe here and there on occasion to make it look a little more groomed; I don't have nearly enough hair to tangle!
trying to only use microfiber towels on my hair (need to buy more, I only have two! Speaking of, do other people find that, while less drying on the hair, microfiber is also less drying on the skin--as in I'm still damp enough that my clothes stick to me when I get dressed?

Any other tips or things that have worked for others? (...Yes. I am obsessed :cheese:. But surely others here understand?

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM
As a new member, you need to remember that you dont want to try too many things at once, otherwise you wont really know what is truely helping your growth. Seeing as everyone is different, but for you, i would probably slow it down a bit. But that is just what I think. Keep the routine you have for a few months, and if you see no improvement or less improvement even, then change or get new things.
I myself, use castor oil, and that made my hair grow 1/2" in a little over 1 week.
But I do not know if that will help you.
:)

LaceyNg
October 15th, 2011, 11:39 PM
As a new member, you need to remember that you dont want to try too many things at once, otherwise you wont really know what is truely helping your growth. Seeing as everyone is different, but for you, i would probably slow it down a bit. But that is just what I think. Keep the routine you have for a few months, and if you see no improvement or less improvement even, then change or get new things.
I myself, use castor oil, and that made my hair grow 1/2" in a little over 1 week.

interesting about the castor oil. rubbed int the scalp? might have to try that myself.... :thumbsup:

i would also suggest getting a silk pillowcase, so theres less friction/breakage while you sleep, and maybe even sleeping with your hair up (if you dont already), for the same reason.

also, i take silica for hairgrowth purposes, although its too soon to see how its working yet. but i've heard lots of good stuff about it! :D

and some more stuff that's being tried out by LHC-ers:
-- rooibos tea rinses for hair growth
-- massaging monistat into the scalp for hair growth

both of these REALLY help calm my itchy and flaky scalp ( i have a mixture of psoraisis and seborrheic dermatitis)

Maktub
October 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Relax !
:p
Stress is not good for hair growth AT ALL !

Libbylou
October 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I take omega 3,6,9. I know it is suppose to be good for hair and skin. I just like how I feel when I take it. But then I'm 56 and my bones don't move as well as they used to. My hair grows about an inch a month and is very healthy. I have taken it before I decided to grow my hair so I can not tell if it helps in that area. I just know I have healthy shiny hair.

jojo
October 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I drink rooibo and eat a tea spoon of peanut butter a day, other than that I didn't get from neck length to past waist in a week, it took time and patience. Its frustrating but not difficult to grow hair, lay off heat and keep those split ends at bay and it will grow all by its self!

A healthy diet is better than taking vitamins too, as I know to my cost!

amberpotamus
October 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new to trying to grow my hair :D. This is (sadly) NOT the first time I've cut my hair off and wished I hadn't (you'd think I'd learn...). The only things I'm doing that are new are the amla and the biotin and MSM--although part of the reason for the MSM is also for some joint issues I've been having due to limited hypermobility. I used to use health food store henna (i.e. Light Mountain, Rainbow) when I was a teenager, so the BAQ henna is just an upgrade. I also used to do scalp massages a few years ago and have no idea now why I quit--they're lovely! Pretty much everything else is typical for me--well, I actually don't normally drink enough water, but there are obviously plenty of reasons beyond my hair that I'm trying to increase my water intake!

Thanks for the castor oil tip! I've actually been wanting to try the oil cleansing method for my face for a while anyway (even before I cut my hair), so I've been meaning to pick some up.

Relax !
:p
Stress is not good for hair growth AT ALL !

Yes, I know! I wish I could help it! You'd think with all the B vitamins I'm taking I would calm down a bit, lol!

Madora
October 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I'd recommend scalp massages.

Be sure those microfiber towels you're using are smooth. I never trusted any of them because they always felt "catchy" on my skin.

I hope that the "cheap" brush you're using does not have plastic bristles..or bristles with nubs on the ends. Bad news all around!

Airdrying is kindest on your hair.

Eating a healthy diet is more advantageous than putting stuff on your hair. Eat that banana, avocado, strawberry and derive the benefits through your digestive system!

If you can stand it, use a cold rinse at the very end to close your cuticles.

Protect your hair in the winter with a wool hat or scarf, and in summer with a WHITE cotton bandana or straw hat.

Keep your tools squeaky clean!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=amberpotamus;1824763]Just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new to trying to grow my hair :D. This is (sadly) NOT the first time I've cut my hair off and wished I hadn't (you'd think I'd learn...). The only things I'm doing that are new are the amla and the biotin and MSM--although part of the reason for the MSM is also for some joint issues I've been having due to limited hypermobility. I used to use health food store henna (i.e. Light Mountain, Rainbow) when I was a teenager, so the BAQ henna is just an upgrade. I also used to do scalp massages a few years ago and have no idea now why I quit--they're lovely! Pretty much everything else is typical for me--well, I actually don't normally drink enough water, but there are obviously plenty of reasons beyond my hair that I'm trying to increase my water intake!

Thanks for the castor oil tip! I've actually been wanting to try the oil cleansing method for my face for a while anyway (even before I cut my hair), so I've been meaning to pick some up.

Oh! Okay : ) I just read so much it was hard to soak it all in.

Yeah, if anyone is wondering about castor oil, go ahead and write me a comment, ill answer as much as you like (:

owlathena
October 16th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I'd recommend scalp massages.

Be sure those microfiber towels you're using are smooth. I never trusted any of them because they always felt "catchy" on my skin.

I hope that the "cheap" brush you're using does not have plastic bristles..or bristles with nubs on the ends. Bad news all around!

Airdrying is kindest on your hair.

Eating a healthy diet is more advantageous than putting stuff on your hair. Eat that banana, avocado, strawberry and derive the benefits through your digestive system!

If you can stand it, use a cold rinse at the very end to close your cuticles.

Protect your hair in the winter with a wool hat or scarf, and in summer with a WHITE cotton bandana or straw hat.

Keep your tools squeaky clean!

Whats the advantage of using a white bandana? Just because its cooler than a dark colored one?

ddiana1979
October 16th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Exercise. It works. :)

amberpotamus
October 17th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Thank you all for the input!

Exercise. It works. :)

Lol, I wondered if someone would mention this! I seriously need to--I walked up four flights of stairs the other day and nearly asphyxiated! What do you recommend for someone that out of shape to begin with?