PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Acrylic hair sticks

mallorykay13
October 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Have they broken on you? How have you liked yours? I am contemplating getting some and wanted some opinions.

danacc
October 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
My hair is generally polite to hair toys. I haven't broken an acrylic stick, and they seem sturdy.

I like the smoothness. I can use them with damp hair without a smidgeon of worry. I like the variety of color and pattern choices. I don't like that I have to be careful not to leave them in the car where they might melt.

slz
October 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have been known to be very spectical about those, too, I was not really thrilled to pay as much as I would (or even more) for wood sticks, except well acrylic is just the fancy word for plastic = cheap, not noble material. I was worried they'd look cheap-plastic-y.
I finally bought some cause I needed some sticks I could use in wet hair, and I could somehow abuse without much afterthought. So, I've had my 2 pairs of plastiic thingies for a week or so now, and I have to admit I do love them just as much as the wooden ones :D. Except I do not feel "obligated" to take care of them, I use them in a more "casual" way - this has nothing to do with the price, since I paid more for them than for some of my wooden ones, but, just my own way to relate to noble vs. "vulgar" material. I am well aware it may be completely illogical, heh, but that's my way :D .
So, I'm very pleased with them, I haven't had them break (one would hope, after one week only :D) but I try not to put too much pressure on them anyway.

AngelDella
October 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I have several from lady idun and I drop them all the time...haven't broken one yet :) I love them, especially since I can damp bun with them. They are beautiful! I can't think of any down side to them other than they are somewhat slippery and have slidden out of my bun a few times, but I have thin, fine, slippery hair. They are deifinitely my go-to sticks for everyday wear and are dressy enough for dress up days too. I haven't left one out in the heat, so I can't comment on the melting aspect. I do always have one in my bag, though.

ladyfey
October 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I like mine, haven't broken them yet! I also like that they can be used in damp hair.

wooliswonderful
October 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I was gifted one by Roscata and I use it often. I like the slight inward curve that it has.

Carolyn
October 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I have both cheapie plastic sticks and some really nice ones like LadyIdun. I've never broken a stick either wood or plastic. I find I need plastic ones for my wet hair times. I often go out with my hair in a wet bun and really don't want to take the risk of ruining a wood stick. Plastic or metal is also necessary for AA class. I don't go under water but I can still get the back of my head a little wet sometimes.

kidari
October 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I love my acrylic sticks but my hair never breaks sticks and it's not fine and slippery. My LadyIdun sticks look really exquisite and I find myself constantly reaching for my clear crystal stick. I'm really careful about them, I avoid any products getting on them as they can harm the surface. Does anyone know if oil will harm acrylic?

pepperminttea
October 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I have a few pairs and use them often for damp bunning. I can see what slz means about a 'less noble material', but for me it's all about how the maker has worked with that material. My ketylo acrylics are really flawlessly finished, and I value those as much as my wooden ketylos. I have another much cheaper pair of acrylics from a different maker, and their quality is nowhere near (and the quality is what I pay for with a hairtoy, really, otherwise I'd make do with chopsticks and Claire's). Some are worth the money, some... well, aren't. I've been meaning to try a LadyIdun stick, since I've heard great things about theirs. :)

Mine have never broken on me, but they do have more 'give' in them than wooden hairsticks, so I am especially careful with them.

ravenreed
October 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
My hair eats cheap plastic sticks. I have a set of older style Ketylos and haven't yet snapped one. I am a little careful in how I insert them and have learned not to put torque on my buns, but so far, so good.

luxepiggy
October 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm still using a pair of acrylic hairsticks I purchased in 1997. I really appreciate the fact that I can wear them in the shower on non-wash days, or for a quick dip into the hot tub, without having to worry about water damage. They're great in the steam room at the spa too (^(oo)^)v

mallorykay13
October 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Sounds amazing! I think I will get some then! :D thank you all!

Asche
October 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I went to my local asian supermarket and purchased a set of twelve pairs of red marbled plastic/acrylic chop sticks for $3. I use (and lose:p)them all the time lol! They end up at work, in my bathroom, all over the house, my car, my mom's house (got her hooked on them now so she steals them from me), between the bed sheets, in the laundry (yea, went through wash and dry and came out fine), so on and so forth. I only need one at a time so I pretty much always have one on hand :D

jeanniet
October 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I LOVE my acrylic hairsticks! I have quite a few from LadyIdun and some from MonktheMonk, and I wear them all the time. So far they've held up very well (but I'm very careful with my sticks), and they're great for wet hair, rain, etc. If you buy from someone who makes a quality product you might pay more, but it really is worthwhile.