PDA

View Full Version : Scalp woes!

Tapioca
October 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I've had dandruff/dermatitis as long as I can remember. I've tried all the medicated shampoos, coal tar shampoo, tea tree oil, and Chagrin's Neem shampoo bar. Nothing worked. I'm trying to go more natural with my scalp, since I suspect it may be an allergy to something.

I'm about a week into washing my scalp with a baking soda/honey blend. About a teaspoon of each in a cup of warm water, finished off with an ACV rinse (about the same proportions). Continuing to use my homemade jojoba/aloe leave-in.

So far, about the same. Still have to wash daily, or it's horribly itchy. Scalp still flakes, but I'm good at disguising that. I'm going to stay with this for a full month so I know if it works, but I'm getting near the end of my rope! I'm tempted to have my doctor send me to a dermatologist, but I really don't want to use medicated shampoo. I have a host of health problems including RA and Fibro, and I'm on 11 prescription meds.

Anyone have any advice?

BabyFirefly
October 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I know how you feel, I've had the same thing. I don't know if you want to try this since you don't want to use medical shampoo but I thought I'd tell you anyway. About a week ago I started using a miconazole nitrate and hydro cortisone cream (like monistat but another brand) and this is the first thing that has really helped me with my problems. My scalp stopped itching immediately and the flakes are almost completely gone to.
I understand if you don't want to try this but it's what helped me :)
Whatever you choose to do I hope you find something that works for you.

kaned_ferret
October 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I always found that Nizoral shampoo worked very well to sort this out, but ultimately now I don't need to use it as by moving away from SLS and going conditioner only without silicones, my scalp is now much healthier and happier, and flakes are becoming a thing of the past, wahoo! (I still have the nizoral on hand for the odd flare up, but the need to use it is few and far between)

danacc
October 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Here's what works for me when I have a seborrheic outbreak:

Scalp massage with coconut oil, and then leave the coconut oil in for an hour or so. (You can also oil the length if your hair likes coconut oil.)
Wash the length with a light, CO-style conditioner, and the scalp with SLS-free shampoo.
Pour honey directly onto damp scalp and scalp hair, massage, wait an hour, and then rinse.

It takes a long time, but it works for me. Also, I put honey on my head and then rinse it out with every wash. On my face, I wash with honey daily, and with nothing else, but that does not work for my scalp.

Note that selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue medicated) works for me. Ketoconazole (Nizoral) is clinically shown to be equally effective, but does not work for me at all.

Asche
October 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I would try the miconazole cream/ monistat method. Search youtube and LHC for Suicides Eve. She's the Monistat Guru:D

silverjen
October 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Have you tried going WO on your scalp? If it's an allergy or sensitivity, that might help. Some WO'ers use diluted vinegar rinses as well.

ButterflyKissx
October 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have dermatitis of the scalp and it was getting worse by spreading into my face causing my skin to be rash like with pimple like blisters, especially the left side. I felt so ugly!! :( I would have the itches all over too. I tried the shampoos and it helped the ictching and flaking but it kept flaring up over and over.

I like almond and rice milk because I wanted to lose weight. I tried it as samples and I was converted! LOL! I was drinking them one week when I noticed that after I ran out it and started drinking regular skim milk, my dermatitis flared up all over again. I thought "It's got to be the milk or something in the milk." I had always drank milk especially throughtout my pregnancies with my three kids. It was my craving but I do remember always having the itchy scalp and skin, rash like breakouts that I thought was acne and it could have been acne too. So it's been a whole month without milk as an experiment. I still have some of the by products, chocolate but in moderation. My face is almost totally cleared up though it's going to take a while for the scarring :( but I am thankful the itching and flaking of my head is gone. No more, omg omg do I have lice and bothering poor Claudio about searching thru my hair. lol! For the first time, I am actually thinking of doing family potraits. I was going to try some organic fresh cow milk to see if I have a reaction to it. I have bottled Starbucks drink today and I feel a bit itchy.

Tapioca
December 21st, 2011, 02:04 PM
I found the solution! A few days after my Rheumatologist added an immune suppressant to my list of meds, my scalp cleared right up! Now I can go 3-4 days between washes, and it's almost never itchy. (The immune suppressant was prescribed for my RA, but I'll happily take this side effect!)

Amber_Maiden
December 21st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Try a heavy avocado or olive oil scalp soak= should help

hototogisu
December 21st, 2011, 03:37 PM
I also have RA. Is fish oil one of your meds? There's a lot of evidence that it helps with inflammation. It might help with your scalp and skin, also. You need to take A LOT though - 9-12 capsules.

Best of luck!

luvnaz
December 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I also have a severe case of scalp itch. Also a red rash type area behind my ears. I can pick off the plaques of skin. It's bad. I've tried SLS free shampoos, Head & shoulders, coal tar, salicylic acid shampoo, olive oil, tea tree oil, coconut oil & ACV rinses as well as CO...some helped a bit. But the best I've tried so far is Nizoral. I've used it once and the itching is not as bad. So hopefully as I keep using it it will get better & better! I think since the Nizoral worked well I may need to try Monistat and get this problem all cleared up. If that doesn't work I may try pine tar shampoo. I should also take zinc & fish oil and stop eating sugar & diet soda!

I want to shampoo SLS free...I'm thinking of trying a shampoo bar. I have dry ends and need a cone free conditioner too. Any advice on that plan?

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I'm doing monastat and its working along with scalp scrubs.

Zapookie
December 22nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
I've had an itchy scalp for a long time too. I tried the coal tar shampoos, SLS and paraben free, you name it. None of them worked. I recently purchased a shampoo by a company named MooGoo, it's a milk shampoo. They say that it has about the same pH as water.

It's about 15 dollars for a 500mL bottle, but a little goes a long way. I bought it at my local health food shop. it honestly has been worth it, my scalp has completely stopped itching and it smells like a vanilla milkshake! I use an organic coconut conditioner after but I don't think that bit matters, its the shampoo that you need.

Neya
December 22nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
I found the solution! A few days after my Rheumatologist added an immune suppressant to my list of meds, my scalp cleared right up! Now I can go 3-4 days between washes, and it's almost never itchy. (The immune suppressant was prescribed for my RA, but I'll happily take this side effect!)

I was actually going to say it might be directly related to your RA. Glad the new med is helping and I hope it continues to help.

luvnaz
December 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Bought some generic MONISTAT and have to say I have almost instant relief!!! Whoo Hooo!

Now I want to find a shampoo bar & conditioner that will keep my hair clean & soft and feeling good once the Monistat clears the irritation up.

Any ideas for me on that?

Thank You!!

coffinhert
December 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hey, I had really bad scalp problems and a dermatologist wanted to give me Rx for it, so I feel your pain. I've managed to control (but not eliminate it). Here's my all-natural routine.

Day before wash:
0. Heavy scalp oiling with coconut/castor oil blend (50/50)

Wash:
1. pour vinegar/water (30/70) onto scalp, make sure it pours over all areas. Scritch around
2. put tons of conditioner over vinegar, lather it like shampoo. Use a lot to get all the coco/castor oil out.
3. rinse out with hot water
4. pour another layer of vinegar over scalp
5. quick cool rinse to distribute the vinegar but not wash ALL of it out, you want some to stay
6. while hair is still damp, use fingertips to rub a little coco/castor into scalp. Castor oil soaks into scalp really well and prevents the flakes from falling apart. My scalp itchies is much soothed by the oil
7. If you need to wash it but don't have time, the heavy coco/castor oiling helps me stretch my wash a day or two. It looks really greasy so I have to wear it up, but my scalp itself feels much better once I put the heavy oiling on it.

Vinegar has been really good for me, but I've noticed iwth it, more is more. When my scalp is acting up badly, I use MORE vinegar. Sometimes even 50/50 or mostly vinegar with a splash of water.

luvnaz
December 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hey, I had really bad scalp problems and a dermatologist wanted to give me Rx for it, so I feel your pain. I've managed to control (but not eliminate it). Here's my all-natural routine.

Day before wash:
0. Heavy scalp oiling with coconut/castor oil blend (50/50)

Wash:
1. pour vinegar/water (30/70) onto scalp, make sure it pours over all areas. Scritch around
2. put tons of conditioner over vinegar, lather it like shampoo. Use a lot to get all the coco/castor oil out.
3. rinse out with hot water
4. pour another layer of vinegar over scalp
5. quick cool rinse to distribute the vinegar but not wash ALL of it out, you want some to stay
6. while hair is still damp, use fingertips to rub a little coco/castor into scalp. Castor oil soaks into scalp really well and prevents the flakes from falling apart. My scalp itchies is much soothed by the oil
7. If you need to wash it but don't have time, the heavy coco/castor oiling helps me stretch my wash a day or two. It looks really greasy so I have to wear it up, but my scalp itself feels much better once I put the heavy oiling on it.

Vinegar has been really good for me, but I've noticed iwth it, more is more. When my scalp is acting up badly, I use MORE vinegar. Sometimes even 50/50 or mostly vinegar with a splash of water.

Thank you! I'm going to try this! I hate having greasy hair though!

jojo
December 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Monistat helps but the one thing ive started using mainly for the arthritis in my hands is codliver oil supplements, its made a worlds of difference to my skin and hair.

Copasetic
December 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
How long did yo try these methods for? A lot of them require prolonged use before you see the effects.

luvnaz
December 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Monistat helps but the one thing ive started using mainly for the arthritis in my hands is codliver oil supplements, its made a worlds of difference to my skin and hair.

This makes sense and I will give it a try...thank you!

Jen123
December 24th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I know for me if I eat the things I'm allergic to I have almost instant problems with my hands and scalp. Within 20 minutes of eating dairy my hands swell turn red and start cracking and bleeding. My scalp gets icky, goopy, itchy. With the holidays here my knuckles are split open. The foods I was eating (dairy, soy, and I'm suspecting corn) also cause me to feel like I have arthritis and a host of other problems. They were so bad that I've had thousands and thousands of dollars in tests for lupus, arthritis, thyroid etc, etc. It is maddening to know my whole slew of symptoms was caused by the food I was eating. And all of the suffering of last twenty years could have been greatly eliminated if only the doctor's had thought about allergies.

So anyway, I strongly suggest monitoring what you are eating to see if any of it contributes to your symptoms.

I'm going to try the codliver supplements. Maybe they'll help me get through the holidays without leaving blood on everything I touch.

luvnaz
December 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I know for me if I eat the things I'm allergic to I have almost instant problems with my hands and scalp. Within 20 minutes of eating dairy my hands swell turn red and start cracking and bleeding. My scalp gets icky, goopy, itchy. With the holidays here my knuckles are split open. The foods I was eating (dairy, soy, and I'm suspecting corn) also cause me to feel like I have arthritis and a host of other problems. They were so bad that I've had thousands and thousands of dollars in tests for lupus, arthritis, thyroid etc, etc. It is maddening to know my whole slew of symptoms was caused by the food I was eating. And all of the suffering of last twenty years could have been greatly eliminated if only the doctor's had thought about allergies.

So anyway, I strongly suggest monitoring what you are eating to see if any of it contributes to your symptoms.

I'm going to try the codliver supplements. Maybe they'll help me get through the holidays without leaving blood on everything I touch.

I feel for you! I had cracking & bleeding on my right palm for awhile...I think it was from the bad well water we had at the house we just sold.

I was told by someone I bought some organic salve from recently to stay away from soy & corn because they are genetically engineered now and altered so they can cause allergic reactions!

Looked for some cod liver oil capsules today and didn't find any...but tomorrow is another day & I'll find it!

Good luck!

ClassicalBlonde
December 28th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I also had dandruff quite badly. It only got worse until I stopped using the store bought shampoos and conditioners and switched to natural ones. So for me it was a chemical build-up problem.

luvnaz
December 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I also had dandruff quite badly. It only got worse until I stopped using the store bought shampoos and conditioners and switched to natural ones. So for me it was a chemical build-up problem.

I know that was what was causing my problem too! As well as really hard well water with lots of nasty iron in it as well as bacteria! Yuck!

I finally made it to my local New Life health food store and got some advice from the very helpful employees there.

They advised me to use Nature's Plus natural beauty cleansing bar. Acid ph 4.5 and contains Allantoin and 500 IU of vitamin E. It is completely free of soap and lye, tallow, hexachlorophene & alkalis.

It is Fantastic!!!!!! Smells great & cleans well, but I do not have the dry, tight itchy feeling or plaques or redness at all!

I also got Florasone for eczema. It is a natural homeopathic cream with out the steroids that hydrocortizone has. The main ingredient is Cardiospermum halicacabum.

It is also Fantastic!!!!! very little itchiness and the dry flakes & plaques are gone!

I'm so happy I found these two products! I had been battling this problem for so long. I had tried so many things and nothing worked.

I'm never going back to regular shampoo with SLS or even shampoo bars with lye & tallow. I'm sticking with this Allantoin non soap. Allantoin is the active ingredient in the comfrey plant.

I hope you'll give it a try and have relief from the scalp itch! I feel so much better!

:D