PDA

View Full Version : Old dye and dry, knotty hair

zirena
October 15th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hi all!
I've had dyed hair for the past 3 years but I have started growing it out, my virgin hair is tame and soft but the parts that still have leftover dye feel absolutely horrible! It's dry, frizzy and easily gets knots. :(
I do use coconut oil every so often but it only works to an extent.

Any tips on rejuvenating dyed hair? I don't have many splits or dots, maybe one or two here and there which I get rid of when I S&D. I would love to cut off the dye but my virgin roots just aren't long enough yet, I only have a few inches.
Thanks! :)

xoxophelia
October 15th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I have a similar situation but my roots are now close to APL. One thing that helps is ACV rinses (1:10 dilution with water). I will do that and then put some EVOO, VO5 conditioner, some honey in my damp hair for an hour or two. That solves the dryness and stops it from clinging to itself.

zirena
October 15th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I have a similar situation but my roots are now close to APL. One thing that helps is ACV rinses (1:10 dilution with water). I will do that and then put some EVOO, VO5 conditioner, some honey in my damp hair for an hour or two. That solves the dryness and stops it from clinging to itself.

Thanks for the tip! :) The clinging is the worst, they're like bits of velcro sometimes, cringe!

Alvrodul
October 15th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I would recommend regular SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s, and also regular use of Nightblooming's Panacea (http://www.etsy.com/listing/82657671/panaceas-hair-salve-leave-in-conditioner)on your tips! The Panacea certainly worked well for me!
Hopefully regular trimming will also help - and it will slowly rid you of the damaged parts of your hair.

LittleB
October 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM
All of the other tips are great.
I don't know if you use silicones, but if you do it's great to get some Argan oil (pure) and mix a little Argan with a little silicon serum. Your hair will feel very smooth! If you don't use silicones you could try just the Argan oil.

danacc
October 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
And if you don't use silicones, you may want to try some, at least on the dyed parts.

cmg
October 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hi Zirena! I was in your situation early this year and I think the worst time is over for me. It may take some time for you too, so embrace yourself with lots of patience! I cant really give any advice for the velcros other than that they eventually have to go. I started with CO-washing and this improved my hair immensly. I used silicone oil only for the tips for a while, but then it became obsolete after some time. SMT's are really good, try different ingredients and see what your hair likes. If you have oily scalp, just treat the lengths. The growth will be very different from the lengths. I used dry shampoos on the roots sometimes during "the transitioning" (but it can be really annoying to get out of the curles).

And if you don't use silicones, you may want to try some, at least on the dyed parts.
Better to use it very sparingly on the tips. If you use it on the whole lengths, then there will perhaps be poofiness and frizzyness on day 2. The cycle of putting on silicones and then removing them is not beneficiary for damaged hair. Moisturize your hair as much as you can, regardless what you choose to put on it after washing. Make sure you close up all gaps like with a acidic rinse for example.

zirena
October 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hi Zirena! I was in your situation early this year and I think the worst time is over for me. It may take some time for you too, so embrace yourself with lots of patience! I cant really give any advice for the velcros other than that they eventually have to go. I started with CO-washing and this improved my hair immensly. I used silicone oil only for the tips for a while, but then it became obsolete after some time. SMT's are really good, try different ingredients and see what your hair likes. If you have oily scalp, just treat the lengths. The growth will be very different from the lengths. I used dry shampoos on the roots sometimes during "the transitioning" (but it can be really annoying to get out of the curles).

Thank you so much!
and thank you to everyone else who replied, i'll definitely be giving all your suggestions a shot :)