PDA

View Full Version : protein sulfate free moisture poo???

ccmso12
October 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Can anyone reccomend a good moisturizing sulfate and protein free shampoo?

Aubrey Organics Rose and Honeysuckle came reccomended . . .but now that I recieved it I see it has protein listed high up. Ive decided my hair does not like protein. My hair felt straw like and dry in the shower after using it, though after the condish, and a leave in shea butter it did dry nice and soft.

Ive been doing a CO routine for 4 months, but think its not good for my fine hair that easily gets build up and then looks like crap, so Im going to try to use a moisturizing poo 2-3 times a week.

isabelx
October 15th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I'm not sure about moisturising, I'm not sure I've ever came across a moisturising shampoo but I use Dr Organics Lavender Shampoo which is definitely sulfate and protein free.

jojo
October 15th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Tigi moisture maniac cone free, protein free and very moisturizing!

~BoHemiAngel~
October 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I haven't tried this yet, but it's gotten great reviews and it's definitely next on my list of shampoos to buy once I run out of my current one: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shea-moisture-organic-raw-shea-butter-moisture-retention-shampoo/ID=prod6056911-product

The ingredient list is wonderfully short & natural, and it's only $10 bucks at Walgreens or Target!!

:inlove:

natural80
October 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Repure is sulfate and protein free, but it has one 'cone, I believe. it's very moisturizing.

danacc
October 15th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo is soap-based, which could also be a culprit.

If you have bad reactions to other shampoos/conditioners with protein, then by all means avoid it. If not, you may want to try a shampoo that is not soap-based before confining your search to those without protein.

MaryRose
October 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I bought the "Natures Gate" Aloe Vera Moisturizing shampoo. My hair is a lot less frizzy after using the shampoo and conditioner. I don't use leave-ins. I looked over the label and it is sulphate free but contains some vegetable protiens.

ccmso12
October 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo is soap-based, which could also be a culprit.

If you have bad reactions to other shampoos/conditioners with protein, then by all means avoid it. If not, you may want to try a shampoo that is not soap-based before confining your search to those without protein.

A shampoo that is non soap based???? Please share examples and explain what makes it "non soap based::) Willing to try that, whats another product in the shower????? LOL

danacc
October 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Most shampoos include a detergent as the cleansing agent, not soap. SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and its cousins SLES, ALS, ALES (sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate, respectively) are the most common detergents found in shampoo. If you're trying to avoid sulfates, look for milder detergents. These include ingredients with sulfosuccinate, coco-sulfate, or cocoglucoside in their name. You also might see a betaine or sulfanate.

A very few "sulfate-free" shampoos use soap instead of detergent. Soap is by definition alkaline. Hair prefers a slightly acidic environment. Also, if you have hard water, using soap to clean will result in a film developing over time. Some folks have good results using soap to wash their hair, and others don't. It can give the dry, sometimes even tangly feeling you described when washing. Honeysuckle Rose shampoo lists soap as an ingredient. Sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, sodium palmate are also soap. Some ingredients lists say things like "saponified"; that means soap. You're more likely to find soap in a shampoo bar than in liquid shampoo, but a few liquid shampoos use it instead of detergent.

celebriangel
October 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
There is, additionally, no such thing as a moisturising shampoo. Shampoo cleans; even strips (though the sulphate-free ones are better) - it is pretty much the opposite of moisturising.What you can do, though, is find one which dries out your hair as little as possible.

I'd echo danac; find a non soap based, sulphate free shampoo. I occasionally use the Body Shop's rainforest radiance sulphate free poo which does nicely.

Dacia
October 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Honeysuckle Rose shampoo lists soap as an ingredient.

AO shampoos do have a high pH but they are not soap based. The INCI list is mandatory in Europe, you'll see a different list of ingredients (sulfate-free) on the German site (http://www.aubrey-organics.de).

Honeysuckle Rose shampoo (pH 9,0-10,0):

INCI:Aqua, Coco-Glucoside, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf*, Rosmarinus Officinalis, Hydrolized Soy Protein*, Lonicera japonica oil, Rosa Mochata oil*, Xanthan gum, Foeniculum vulgare, Humulus lupus extract, Melissa officinalis extract, Viscum album extract, Anthemis nobilis extract, Achillea millefolium extract, Ginkgo Biloba extract, Panax ginseng extract, Angelica acutiloba, Chrysanthemum parthenium, Magnolia Biondi extract, Equisetum arvense, Tussilago Farfara, Forsythia Suspensea extract, Prunus amygdalus dulcis oil, Linoleic Acid, Aloe barbadensis*, Macadamia fernifolia oil, Rosmarinus officinalis*, Salvia officinalis oil*, Citrus grandis, Retinyl acetate, Ascorbic acid, Tocopherol.

ccmso12
October 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Dacia--perhaps the ingrediants are different for your country???? Here is the list for my bottle pulled off the US site

INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Organic Aloe Vera, Carrageenan, Honeysuckle Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Magnolia, Horsetail, Coltsfoot and Forsythia; Vegetable Glycerin, Sweet Almond Oil, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Ann Marie
October 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Try yes to cucumbers shampoo...it is very moisturizing...
I use California baby products...for a more cleansing shampoo...to get it "squeaky clean" but I think it would be too harsh after a while...

.I 'd say Yes to Cucumbers...is one step up from a co-wash only routine...very mild if that is what you are looking for...:p

The verdict....a good daily shampoo....very gentle and moisturizing...no cones no sulphates...might have a tiny bit of protein....if at all!

Dacia
October 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Dacia--perhaps the ingrediants are different for your country???? Here is the list for my bottle pulled off the US site

INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Organic Aloe Vera, Carrageenan, Honeysuckle Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Magnolia, Horsetail, Coltsfoot and Forsythia; Vegetable Glycerin, Sweet Almond Oil, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

No, it's the same formula, just a different type of labeling.

INCI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nomenclature_of_Cosmetic_Ingredients )
How does FDA define "soap"? (http://www.wisteme.com/question.view?targetAction=viewQuestionTab&id=5815)