PDA

View Full Version : quick question! clarify before dye?

Clem_Dela
October 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'm going to dye my hair! it is slightly greasy right now. should i clarify or does the dye stick better with greasy hair?

(it's Blue Coal by Raw Colors, a semi-perm dye. don't worry- no peroxides or developers! :cool: )

torrilin
October 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'd suggest reading the manufacturer's directions and trying it that way first.

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I would DEFINITELY clarify your hair first. Since the semi-permanent formulas 'sit on top of hair' as opposed to penetrating the hair shaft, they really do stick better to the cleanest hair. Even for those who don't really understand the chemistry of the formulas, just think of this analogy- if are trying to apply a sticker to a car window, will it stick best when the window is freshly washed, or dirty/slick with oil? (I don't know anyone who oils their car windows but it was the best example I could think of off the top of my head :p)

The directions will probably tell you to do it with unwashed hair, because your scalp should have some oils on it to protect it from the dye. To be honest, however, I think you will be fine even if some dye gets onto your 'oil-free scalp', because semi-perm formulas are known to be quite gentle. You shouldn't have any problems unless you have an extremely sensitive scalp.

Good luck! :D

Clem_Dela
October 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM
excellent! just clarified. My hair is all squeaky :D first "real shampoo" i've done in almost 2 months... now i'm waiting impatiently for my mane to dry.