PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo/oil ....... Love it!!! :)

GracieRae
October 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I've tried the coconut oil/shampoo method before using prell and my hair was like straw. Well, out of sheer boredom I thought I'd try it again using VO5 kiwi shampoo, and I really like it! My hair felt fine without conditioner, combed out easily, feels soft, looks shiny and minimal frizz. Yay!!!! I think I may try it with baby shampoo when I run out of Vo5. I hope this wasn't just a fluke and continues to work. Oh and my Caruso steam setter arrived today also so I can't wait to try that also :)

Clem_Dela
October 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM
what ratio of vo5/coconut oil did you use? i'd love to try it, i have the same shampoo :)

also, did you have the greasies or did your hair feel totally clean?

GracieRae
October 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
It didn't 'squeak' but no greasies at all!!! yay!!! I used two parts Vo5 to one part coconut oil and mixed very well. Did one plain shampoo with vo5 to clarify then used the oil mixed shampoo. And lathered gently all over then rinsed really well. Oh I really hope you love it :)

CC-Bale
October 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
That sounds interesting. I'm going to have to try it too sometime.

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ouu, lovely! I've been thinking of mixing myself up a batch :)

I must add, however, that baby shampoo is not in fact all that gentle (some people even use it as a clarifying shampoo). So when your Vo5 runs out (if it is a gentle formula) you'd probably be better off repurchasing it to make the coconut oil shampoo with! I once mixed coconut oil with a 'plain shampoo' (similar to baby shampoo) and the results weren't anything great, but my hair typically loves coconut oil. For reference, the ratio was 1:1

WaitingSoLong
October 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I don't recommend the baby shampoo, for whatever reason, it tends to be drying. I did the coconut oil and baby shampoo mix and it just didn't work out. I have been reluctant to retry the co/poo thing because I am not sure what poo to use with it. I have never tried VO5.

thelittlestdoc
October 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've got some coconut oil heading towards me in the mail--I'm definitely going to give this a try when it arrives!:cheese:

lippleyluv
October 14th, 2011, 11:22 PM
It was AMAZING in my hair. It has never ever looked nicer. However I eventually had to stop using it because for some reason coconut oil in my hair equals stinky, stinky hair. It was sooo bad. I tried different shampoos and new coconut oil (thinking it had gone off) but nothing helped. I have gone to using olive oil now because it doesn't make my hair smell bad, but I do miss how well the co/shampoo worked.

kidari
October 14th, 2011, 11:25 PM
It was AMAZING in my hair. It has never ever looked nicer. However I eventually had to stop using it because for some reason coconut oil in my hair equals stinky, stinky hair. It was sooo bad. I tried different shampoos and new coconut oil (thinking it had gone off) but nothing helped. I have gone to using olive oil now because it doesn't make my hair smell bad, but I do miss how well the co/shampoo worked.

Did you premix a large amount or did you mix enough for one batch each time you washed? I'm scared to mix a large batch for fear of the coconut oil going bad in the shower. So I always mix a fresh batch each time I wash.

ktani
October 15th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Good quality refined coconut oil has no odour, http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87#j47

and most babassu oil is refined and odourless. ETA:https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=ORGOILBABASSU

Prices vary but they can be just as inexpensive as the unrefined oils.

Both are be fine to use in place of unrefined coconut oil.

WaitingSoLong
October 15th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Ah yes, I remember why I stopped using the coconut oil in my shampoo, it was making my face break out (acne). I can only put it on my ends.

ktani
October 15th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Ah yes, I remember why I stopped using the coconut oil in my shampoo, it was making my face break out (acne). I can only put it on my ends.

Virgin coconut oil is not supposed to cause that (barring an allergic reaction) and babassu oil is non comedogenic.

People react differently to products.

TrudieCat
October 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Re: stinky coconut oil - I find that virgin coconut oil goes "off" in my hair if it's sitting on the hair shaft as a conditioner. When I used too much oil in my oil:shampoo ratio, not all of the oil would be absorbed by my hair and this would lead to stink. Reducing the oil in the mixture meant the oil would all soak in, and I would avoid stink.

Refining the oil shampoo mixture is tricky, and definitely requires some fiddling and also some careful observation (and also some willingness to fail and keep going with it).

Re: Prell - I think a lot of the shampoos people have used with this method are too harsh for long-term frequent use - but OTOH, a lot of the shampoos that don't have coating ingredients that would interfere with oil absorption tend to be more harsh. This is another issue that falls under the "oil shampoo requires some fiddling" category. But IIRC there were some much gentler shampoos that people had luck with, including one member who used a homemade coco-betaine shampoo, which is a more gentle surfactant than sulfates, generally. I've personally been curious about this shampoo (http://www.curlmart.com/store/kinky-curly-come-clean-moisturizing-shampoo.html) with the coconut oil method.

UltraBella
October 15th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Coconut oil makes my face break out too.

ktani
October 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Re: stinky coconut oil - I find that virgin coconut oil goes "off" in my hair if it's sitting on the hair shaft as a conditioner. When I used too much oil in my oil:shampoo ratio, not all of the oil would be absorbed by my hair and this would lead to stink. Reducing the oil in the mixture meant the oil would all soak in, and I would avoid stink.

Refining the oil shampoo mixture is tricky, and definitely requires some fiddling and also some careful observation (and also some willingness to fail and keep going with it).

Re: Prell - I think a lot of the shampoos people have used with this method are too harsh for long-term frequent use - but OTOH, a lot of the shampoos that don't have coating ingredients that would interfere with oil absorption tend to be more harsh. This is another issue that falls under the "oil shampoo requires some fiddling" category. But IIRC there were some much gentler shampoos that people had luck with, including one member who used a homemade coco-betaine shampoo, which is a more gentle surfactant than sulfates, generally. I've personally been curious about this shampoo (http://www.curlmart.com/store/kinky-curly-come-clean-moisturizing-shampoo.html) with the coconut oil method.

That is interesting about the smell. I did not have any issues with that when I tested coconut oil with my shampoo. Catnip has no odour for me either, although I rinse it out every time.

The Nutiva coconut oil I used smells strongly like coconut but in my hair had no odour at all. My shampoo has fragrance that I do not detect after washing.

Even though the Nutiva does not require refrigeration (according to the label) I still keep in in the fridge.

Different coconut oil processing can result in different coconut oils going off sooner than later.

Re your shampoo - it looks really interesting as well. The botanical part is more of a tea. It depends on how much of one of them is in there (it contains mucilage), as to whether it can build-up or not and block the lauric acid. It sounds good though.

ETA: Actually 2 of the botanicals contain mucilage, one contains resin too. It is always tricky with extracts like that as to potential results.

lippleyluv
October 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hmm, it is possible that my oil:shampoo mixture was too rich.:hmm: I tend to mix it really rich because my hair has bleached ends that are very coarse & porous so the extra oil creates a soft, silky, smooth texture. My hair would smell stinky even as it was drying.:tbear: The mixture was made up fresh each time & the CO was kept in the fridge.

I wonder if I was just using way too much even though my hair was never oily. Or perhaps coconut oil just doesn't like me. I highly recommend it though. Aside from the smell it was the best thing sliced bread for me.

WaitingSoLong
October 16th, 2011, 05:22 AM
All this talk of stinky coconut oil is so weird!

Turns out I have Vo5. I may mix me up a new batch. It is so cold in my bathroom the mix solidifies between washes. I need to find a small bottle and mix it as needed each wash instead.

pepperpot
October 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Coconut oil makes my face break out too.

Me too. I can't use oils on my hair or in shampoo for exactly this reason. Coconut oil is the worst but I did have a problem with babassu oil too. I read that it was non comedogenic, so thought it would be fine, but no. HUGE disaster! I've still got the scars 9 months later.

ktani
October 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Me too. I can't use oils on my hair or in shampoo for exactly this reason. Coconut oil is the worst but I did have a problem with babassu oil too. I read that it was non comedogenic, so thought it would be fine, but no. HUGE disaster! I've still got the scars 9 months later.

I have broken out in the past with products that are not supposed to cause that. Everyone reacts differently to things.

Many people here are sensitive to certain frangrance additives in hair care products. I am too.

ktani
October 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hmm, it is possible that my oil:shampoo mixture was too rich.:hmm: I tend to mix it really rich because my hair has bleached ends that are very coarse & porous so the extra oil creates a soft, silky, smooth texture. My hair would smell stinky even as it was drying.:tbear: The mixture was made up fresh each time & the CO was kept in the fridge.

I wonder if I was just using way too much even though my hair was never oily. Or perhaps coconut oil just doesn't like me. I highly recommend it though. Aside from the smell it was the best thing sliced bread for me.

Since you had no bad reaction from the coconut oil you can always try the babassu, which is odourless or refined palm kernel oil http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-381/palm-kernel-oil-creating/Detail.

This palm kernel oil is food grade. I am not sure if there is any odour to it. You can always contact them to find out. The price for 5 pounds of it is cheaper than the jar of coconut oil I bought and you can always use it for food.

Another vendor, http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/palm-kernel-bulk.html

Panth
October 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM

You could try this variation (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1432694&postcount=3428). That way your ends would get the extra coconut oil they need but your length/scalp wouldn't be getting too much.

Panth
October 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Re: Prell - I think a lot of the shampoos people have used with this method are too harsh for long-term frequent use - but OTOH, a lot of the shampoos that don't have coating ingredients that would interfere with oil absorption tend to be more harsh. This is another issue that falls under the "oil shampoo requires some fiddling" category.

I worry about this too. So far, the best shampoo for my oil shampoo mix has been Pantene's Clarifying Shampoo - hardly the most gentle of things!

However, I went to the optimal results shampoo list (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1369612&postcount=816) and chose the easiest-to-find one off the list - Boots Essentials blue shampoo. Ugh. Utter disaster. Could not get the ratios right, looked like a permanent grease-ball or had tangly, almost brittle-seeming hair.

So, back to the Pantene Clarifying it is. Instant change - it's glossy, shiny, reasonably manageable (I'm getting some puffyness, I think from hard water), not very tangly and will stay looking pretty presentably and non-oily for about 3 days (after which my scalp looks too greasy - I'm sure a darker haired person could last longer but it's kinda obvious when you're blonde...).

I guess that I should be ok as I'm varying between 2:1 and 3:2 oil:shampoo, so the oil should protect somewhat from the harshness of the shampoo? I hope...

(Though I guess I shouldn't worry too much ... I did get to classic on just plain old Pantene S&C. My hair doesn't seem to hate it the way others' does).

ktani
October 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Re: Prell - I think a lot of the shampoos people have used with this method are too harsh for long-term frequent use - but OTOH, a lot of the shampoos that don't have coating ingredients that would interfere with oil absorption tend to be more harsh. This is another issue that falls under the "oil shampoo requires some fiddling" category. But IIRC there were some much gentler shampoos that people had luck with, including one member who used a homemade coco-betaine shampoo, which is a more gentle surfactant than sulfates, generally.

That is true. For some people the clarifying shampoos can be too harsh. However, there are many milder shampoos that can be used successfuly. One just has to search them out.

DarleneH
October 16th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Are there any commonly available cooking oils that work for this? I'm a little too cash-strapped to be buying more expensive oils and stuff right now.

ktani
October 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Are there any commonly available cooking oils that work for this? I'm a little too cash-strapped to be buying more expensive oils and stuff right now.

Coconut oil and palm kernel oil (it may be harder to find food grade).

At least one person used Lou Ana coconut oil available at Wal-Mart without problems.

lippleyluv
October 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Since you had no bad reaction from the coconut oil you can always try the babassu, which is odourless or refined palm kernel oil http://www.organic-creations.com/servlet/the-381/palm-kernel-oil-creating/Detail.

This palm kernel oil is food grade. I am not sure if there is any odour to it. You can always contact them to find out. The price for 5 pounds of it is cheaper than the jar of coconut oil I bought and you can always use it for food.

Another vendor, http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils/palm-kernel-bulk.html

Oh thank you! I will have to try that. If I could get the awesome results without the smell that would be great!

Clem_Dela
October 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I just tried 'poo/oil this morning.... eagerly waiting for my hair to dry!

I used coconut oil, suave naturals (the waterfall scent one ^.^), and Dr Bronners, as well as a few drops of Jasmine oil. Ratio was 1:1:1.

Also, on a whim I used the same mixture to wash my skin. I feel AMAZING! For the first in a LONG time my legs aren't insanely dry. So happy :bounce:

kidari
October 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I have bought Spectrum coconut oil at my local Walmart before, if that helps. I have used it with L'oreal Everpure moisturizing shampoo and currently am using it with Pantene volume shampoo for fine hair. My ratios are 2 parts shampoo to 1 part oil. For some reason using it with Everpure moisturizing gives me more volume. Once I tried it with Suave almond and shea butter and it was a disaster: my hair had a waxy feel to it and it had no slip and I couldn't detangle it afterwards. Interesting because I like the shampoo on it's own but not as an oil shampoo.

Panth
October 19th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I have bought Spectrum coconut oil at my local Walmart before, if that helps. I have used it with L'oreal Everpure moisturizing shampoo and currently am using it with Pantene volume shampoo for fine hair. My ratios are 2 parts shampoo to 1 part oil.

Oooh. Interesting that you've got it to work with Pantene Volume shampoo. That's what I used to use (with its conditioner) for years and years. Guess that's what I'll be trying next after my Pantene Clarifying shampoo runs out. I always fear the clarifying one is too harsh - however, the volume one should be (at least somewhat) less harsh, plus is one I know works for me normally. Aaand if it doesn't work I can always palm it off on DBF...

Clem_Dela
October 19th, 2011, 07:35 AM
update: after my hair (finally) dried i can finally say that i love this method of shampooing! it felt clean but not squeaky, and not oily and gross either. just right. Definitely doing this on my wash days.

Panth
October 19th, 2011, 11:47 AM
update: after my hair (finally) dried i can finally say that i love this method of shampooing! it felt clean but not squeaky, and not oily and gross either. just right. Definitely doing this on my wash days.

Did you get The Shine as well? IMO that's one of the best things about this method - SO shiny!

Clem_Dela
October 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Did you get The Shine as well? IMO that's one of the best things about this method - SO shiny!

I didn't notice extra shine- my hair is already pretty shiny from ACV so I guess there's not a big difference :-)

Cowgirl16
October 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I use Pantene Beautiful Lengths shampoo mixed with EVOO. I've been using it on my length for several months :confused: I never thought about CO. I use plain shampoo in my scalp, i'm afraid my hair will look greasy.

Panth
October 20th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I use Pantene Beautiful Lengths shampoo mixed with EVOO. I've been using it on my length for several months :confused: I never thought about CO. I use plain shampoo in my scalp, i'm afraid my hair will look greasy.

Coconut oil is supposed to be much better in a shampoo-oil mix as it is one of the v. few oils that can actually enter the hair shaft.

As for looking greasy, well, with the right ratio there's no worry of that. Alternatively, you could use a mix with less oil in it on your scalp and then use a mix with more oil in it on your length/ends. Kinda like how people who CO wash often use two different conditioners.

Cowgirl16
October 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Coconut oil is supposed to be much better in a shampoo-oil mix as it is one of the v. few oils that can actually enter the hair shaft.

As for looking greasy, well, with the right ratio there's no worry of that. Alternatively, you could use a mix with less oil in it on your scalp and then use a mix with more oil in it on your length/ends. Kinda like how people who CO wash often use two different conditioners.

I think I'll try that. I'll try and salvage the shampoo I have by adding coconut oil to it for the length. I already have 5 bottles in the shower, DH's shampoo, oil shampoo, 2 different conditioners and my ACV :D, what's one more :). This belongs in the thread, you know your a longhair when....:)

LittleB
October 22nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
So I read all about this coconut oil/shampoo method today. I can't justify buying a new shampoo to try it so I went ahead and clarified my hair with the Neutrogena Anti-Residue and mixed coco oil 1:1 with Dove Moisture something or other shampoo. It lathered up beautifully but when I rinsed it out my hair was a matted, dry, tangled mess. I had to use my Redken All Soft condish b/c I had the feeling that if I didn't, I was in for a nightmare of detangling.
Was this just because of the Dove shampoo, we thinks?

LittleB
October 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Question #2: if your hair is supposed to be completely free of everything before you shampoo/oil, does that mean even after the first clarify and all that, you can't put ANYTHING else on your hair again (leave ins, hairspray, oils, etc etc) or you'll have to reclarify so the coco oil can penetrate on your next shampoo? Am I right in thinking that this method eliminates all styling aids, etc.

ktani
October 23rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
Question #2: if your hair is supposed to be completely free of everything before you shampoo/oil, does that mean even after the first clarify and all that, you can't put ANYTHING else on your hair again (leave ins, hairspray, oils, etc etc) or you'll have to reclarify so the coco oil can penetrate on your next shampoo? Am I right in thinking that this method eliminates all styling aids, etc.

Pretty much so, yes. You can use minimal amounts of conditioner or styling aids. They will build-up though and you will need to clarify again at some point.

ETA: If a small amount of lauric acid is absorbed into hair with nothing to block it, then only a fraction of that can be absorbed into hair with something to block it. As that something builds up, less to none will be able to get through. Using minimal amounts of conditioner or styling aids can work for a while. Results will not be the same as not using them.

vatikagirl
October 23rd, 2011, 05:56 AM
I have been experimenting with Oil in Shampoo method for a few years now, good to find a thread about this. :)
My shampoo Himalaya herbals extra moisturising shampoo for normal to dry hair
Oil: Parachute Coconut oil 100% pure coconut oil

Method:
I always wash my hair after wearing heavy oiling with coconut oil for two days, usually I add 4 to 8 drops of coconut oil in 1 tbs of shampoo, this ratio depends on the amount of heavy oiling my hair has absorbed. Usually 5 drops are enough. After adding oil to my shampoo I mix it nicely using my finger and then add 5 tbs of water to dilute oil shampoo mixture.

This way my heavy oiling gets cleaned without stripping it dry.
Hope this helps.