PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Blonde

DTsgirl
October 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Is champagne blonde a cool or neutral tone? I can't quite decide. I dyed my roots last night with Revlon ColorSilk 73 Champagne Blonde, and I can't tell any difference between this and the Light Golden Blonde I did last time (which I hated, hence the new dye). I suppose the golden blonde could be showing through the new dye and to get a true color payoff, I'd have to bleach or ColorOops my hair. Anyway, I loved the color on the box, but I can't tell which tone family it belongs too, so I was hoping maybe The LHC Collective knows.

invisiblebabe
October 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I looked up that shade, and it says 7 B on it, and in hair-dye-speak, B generally means beige blonde, which is a cool tone. Hope that helps!

FrozenBritannia
October 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Anything "champagne" is supposed to be ashy, which is cool. Anything "golden" is warm. Some companies are even incredibly thoughtful and put a W for warm and C for cool on the box.. I just wish all companies did it.

It's very rare that the colour turns out exactly as it did on the box, because yep, usually those models are working from virgin, or carefully bleached hair only one or two shades lighter or darker than the dye.

UltraBella
October 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I looked up that shade, and it says 7 B on it, and in hair-dye-speak, B generally means beige blonde, which is a cool tone. Hope that helps!

I have to disagree, beige blonde would normally be a warm tone, not an ash tone. The Revlon Colorsilks packaging shows the 73 champagne blonde as being warm toned, there is nothing ashy or cool toned about it. And it's not a super light blonde either, level 7 is a medium shade of blonde.

invisiblebabe
October 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have to disagree, beige blonde would normally be a warm tone, not an ash tone. The Revlon Colorsilks packaging shows the 73 champagne blonde as being warm toned, there is nothing ashy or cool toned about it. And it's not a super light blonde either, level 7 is a medium shade of blonde.

Hmm, maybe my monitor is off, then.

My hair is naturally level 7, to me my natural hair looks dark blonde, but the hair dye on the box looked light ash blonde on my monitor.

I will go with what you said, since you are a professional :)

DTsgirl
October 14th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hmm. So warm then. I am trying to figure out which blonde shade would look best on me, and colorsilk is super cheap, but also . . . super cheap. It fades FAST. I like the sheen this new one gave me; kind metallic sandy - ish, I guess. Maybe I will have to find a higher quality dye in the same family and give that one a shot in a couple weeks. Deary me, what to do, what to do . . . .

torrilin
October 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM
What are you thinking of as fading? Can you show the difference in a picture?

It definitely is possible for dye to fade on human hair. Most of the dyes that resist fading are meant for clothing, and well... your skirt isn't going to complain about being boiled. Doing the same on your hair would be bad. The two main ways a dye fades are due to light or due to washing. In your case, I wouldn't expect light fastness to be the issue, since you're looking for a blonde shade of dye. If the sun were making your dye fade, your hair would end up sun bleached, so lighter and brighter than you were trying for. That leaves wash fastness... and that fits in with how most hair dye is labeled.

So I would guess that getting your hair wet less frequently would help a lot. What's your washing routine like?

UltraBella
October 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-Colorsilk-Haircolor-Champagne-Blonde/dp/B001BAKU08

I am going by the pic on the link, plus the Professional color charts we have at work. A 7B is a mid-blonde with warm undertones on the Matrix, Redken and Goldwell charts.

DTsgirl
October 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
What are you thinking of as fading? Can you show the difference in a picture?

It definitely is possible for dye to fade on human hair. Most of the dyes that resist fading are meant for clothing, and well... your skirt isn't going to complain about being boiled. Doing the same on your hair would be bad. The two main ways a dye fades are due to light or due to washing. In your case, I wouldn't expect light fastness to be the issue, since you're looking for a blonde shade of dye. If the sun were making your dye fade, your hair would end up sun bleached, so lighter and brighter than you were trying for. That leaves wash fastness... and that fits in with how most hair dye is labeled.

So I would guess that getting your hair wet less frequently would help a lot. What's your washing routine like?

I aim for 4 days and usually hit 3. Every other day if it's hot or right before my period (more sebum all around, yay). 4 days is my max. I can't take it any long than that, plus my ends get wonky and bleh. Fade may not be the right word. Maybe tonal shift would be. It starts as gold (with the other dye) and then shifts to brass about two weeks in. Nope, no pictures, as no camera, because I live in the stone age. Sadness. I want it to be a little bit warm ish to neutral, but am having trouble transitioning that way. I was going to just shift the dye I use gradually from bright golden to neutral (Like when I touch up my roots, wich is all I dye right now, go from super warm to warm to less warm to neutral), but it's not working very well. I've used ColorOops in the past and it's worked very well in getting rid of old dye, and the damage I experienced was very minimal, but I don't think it will address the brassiness and may make it worse. If I lived closer to a Sally's, I think I would have it fixed by now, but the nearest one is an hour away and I don't get there very often. So yeah.

DTsgirl
October 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I could dye it all with a cool toned dye, but I am afraid it will go grey or green.

FrozenBritannia
October 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Why don't you try a toner, and blue/purple shampoo?

DTsgirl
October 15th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I should. I could go to Wal- mart and try the Jhirmack shampoo for silver hair. That's all they have. I won't be in Madison for a while and that's where the nearest Sally's is.

FrozenBritannia
October 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
It's the same stuff. I'm assuming a Sally's is like a drug store? Try the stuff at walmart, and if you don't like it order some stuff from an online drugstore. Thats what I had to do when I was light blonde

Isilme
October 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM
You dye it every few weeks? No wonder the colour fades. The more you dye, the more peroxide eats away on your hair making it difficult for you hair to keep the colour as it gets more porous.

In your case I would let a stylist do the colour once and then keep it up at home with a toner.