PDA

View Full Version : Oil on top of cones?

Lilli
October 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I used to use non-coney natural shampoo and conditioner, followed by argan oil as a leave-in, which was very nice. Now, though, I am finding I need coney S&C to be able to comb my hair at all. Can I still use argan oil over coney S&C? My brain doesn't feel that it would work or be right.

SpinDance
October 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
How long did the non-cone routine work for you? Have you tried clarifying since you started to have problems? If your shampoo is non-SLS it may not be removing build up. When I was using cones I would alternate between several brands/formulations.

As for whether it would work, since we are all different, the only way to know what works for your hair is to try it. :/ An evaluation period of 4-8 weeks is enough time for a good test.

MychelleC
October 14th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I use shampoo and conditioner with silicones and I never clarify as I do not feel the need. My products have some silicones, but not too many cationic ingredients - which are the real culprits when it comes to build up. I oil once or twice a month and it works beautifully. No worries, go for it. You will know if it isn't working for you.

Susana
October 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I use cones and oils, it does not seem to be a problem :shrug:

spidermom
October 14th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Generous pre-wash oilings and about once per week use of a coney serum both give benefit for me.

Lilli
October 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I use shampoo and conditioner with silicones and I never clarify as I do not feel the need. My products have some silicones, but not too many cationic ingredients - which are the real culprits when it comes to build up. I oil once or twice a month and it works beautifully. No worries, go for it. You will know if it isn't working for you.

What are cationic ingredients?

ElusiveMuse
October 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I use cone and no-cone products and I've always oiled daily and pre-washing. It's never been a problem for me when I wash with cones to use oils as well. Also, I've never had to clarify my hair, but I expect that could be because I vary the products I use to wash.