PDA

View Full Version : How healthy can hair be if it's still dyed? (Newbie!:))

millyaulait
October 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm new & looking for a little help..

I dye my hair every few months with a commercial box-dye, from light brown to dark brown. I would LOVE to not dye my hair but I do honestly look terrible with my lighter , natural hair! My roots come in blonde and make it look like I'm losing hair and balding! ):

I use SLS-free shampoo (1-2x a week) & I condition with EVOO, I heat-style 1-2x a fortnight, if that. I wear it up 90% of the time, I also never brush it & this has really helped with breakage in the past few months.

Can I still grow my hair out long & healthy? I long to have BSL, eventually. :crush:

I don't think my hair is incredibly damaged, but I'm honestly not sure how to tell!

Any help/advice would be appreciated, thank you.. :)

Astroflammante
October 14th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I have pretty much the same hairtype as you. My routine is a little different; SLS-free shampoo every other day, conditioner with -cones, I never heat-style* and occasionally brush my hair.

But I almost always wear it up, and dye with box-dye every 10 weeks or so (when I can't ignore the roots anymore!), also from light brown to dark brown. And I have managed to get to BSL, so I think you definitely have a chance. My hair is healthy, the ends are a bit dry but I almost never have any splits. It might be thinning a bit, but I'm honestly not sure. If it is, I believe that is most likely caused by the birth control pills, not the dye.

From what I can see, your routine is good. Keeping my hair up is what prevents most of the damage for me, so I think that is definitely a good idea. You'll have to wait for someone else's opinion on how damaging the heat is though...

Good luck!

*I own a hairdryer and a curling iron, which I put in my closet six years ago when we moved into the house. I dug the hairdryer out a few months ago to lend to a friend. I think the curling iron is still hiding in there somewhere, but I haven't seen it...

buttercupmcgee
October 14th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm new & looking for a little help..

I dye my hair every few months with a commercial box-dye, from light brown to dark brown. I would LOVE to not dye my hair but I do honestly look terrible with my lighter , natural hair! My roots come in blonde and make it look like I'm losing hair and balding! ):

I use SLS-free shampoo (1-2x a week) & I condition with EVOO, I heat-style 1-2x a fortnight, if that. I wear it up 90% of the time, I also never brush it & this has really helped with breakage in the past few months.

Can I still grow my hair out long & healthy? I long to have BSL, eventually. :crush:

I don't think my hair is incredibly damaged, but I'm honestly not sure how to tell!

Any help/advice would be appreciated, thank you.. :)

I did the exact same thing as you for 5 years and made it to BSL no problem.

Now that I've given up the dye and embraced the light brown I will say I've gained thickness and the texture is less rough, but I understand the impulse to switch up your color, and I think as long as you watch the rest of your routine and handle it with care (and only color the roots!) you'll have no problem achieving length.

Nera
October 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I am past waist and I have been dying my hair for five years now. It's healthy.

millyaulait
October 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Thank you so much everyone! :)

I'm so glad it can be done, I'm going to be as kind to my hair as possible & hope to see it long again. I had hair down to my bum up until the age of 11, so I'm sure I can grow it to at least BSL at this age.

Time to wait & see.. :crush:

littlenvy
October 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I think it totally depends on your hair and how it takes in the dye. It also helps that you don't bleach it since you are going darker not lighter.
I know people who dye their hair all the time and it looks beautiful, while my hair gets very weak and damaged right away.
If you want a little bit healthier way of doing your hair, maybe you can try Herbatint instead of a box dye?

millyaulait
October 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Ah - Herbatint! I completely forgot about that!

I will definitely pick that up next time I need a root touch-up, thank you.. :)

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think it is definitely possible! What kind of dye do you use, permanent or demi-permanent? I don't think dying your hair darker is really the issue, because that is typically much less damaging than bleaching. I highlighted my hair for 3 years and despite that, reached BSL with very nice-looking hair and not much visible damage at all.

If you don't already, look into using a demi-permanent dye! It's much less damaging because it doesn't actually penetrate the hair shaft, but rather sits on top of it, yet it still lasts a good amount of time. (When I dyed my virgin roots darker with demi-permanent dye it didn't fade at all, though it was supposed to wash out after 28 shampoos)

Natural Instincts is a good one to try if you're doing it yourself :) The conditioner is really fab and its a pretty foolproof colouring formula.

WinterButterfly
October 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I dye my blond hair black. I understand the feeling that you look like you are balding when roots come in. My hair is at hip now and growing. I hardly ever get splits. I start to feel the urge to dye my roots at 4 weeks but usually wait 6 to 10 weeks depending on how long I feel that I can hold out. My hair isn't as soft as it naturally is, but it is softer than a lot of virgin hair I have touched. So its a fair trade for me. It is very possible for some people to dye their hair and grow long. Not everyone can, but it sounds like it is possible for you.

Velvettt
October 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I have dyed my hair for many years. Of course you can have healthy hair that's dyed! I bleach and dye my roots every 2 months, first coating the length with coconut oil to protect it so it doesn't get bleached over and over again. The siggy pic I have here is old. My profile pic is newer.

Kristamommyx3
October 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I am proof that it can be done! :D