PDA

View Full Version : What's with asians and...

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM
...their ability to rock every single haircolour out there? It's not fair! First the thread with pink hair and now I just found this:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/855/purplehairf.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/915/whitehair.jpg

So pretty!

jujube
October 13th, 2011, 04:53 PM
The girl hardly looks Asian on the first pic.

manderly
October 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I agree with ^^

But I blame Final Fantasy, anime, and manga. They have "trained" us to see asian women (and men) sporting outrageous color (and rocking it) and so we accept it when seen in person. You rarely see western cartoons sporting crazy haircolors :)

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM
The girl hardly looks Asian on the first pic.

Yeah but I think she's wearing those circle lenses plus the fake lashes and mascara and whatnot cover everything up pretty well. It was on an asian tumblr site so I automatically pegged that girl to be one. With the ullsang trend going strong it's surprising to see what people can do with makeup and dye. Watch this to see what I mean: the before and after are completely different!

http://youtu.be/PonShFi94XQ

candycandace
October 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I'm of Asian ancestry. And I think the reason it seems that Asian girls can pull of any hair color is that they use makeup to make their skin tone look neutral.

Kathie
October 13th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah but I think she's wearing those circle lenses plus the fake lashes and mascara and whatnot cover everything up pretty well. It was on an asian tumblr site so I automatically pegged that girl to be one. With the ullsang trend going strong it's surprising to see what people can do with makeup and dye. Watch this to see what I mean: the before and after are completely different!

http://youtu.be/PonShFi94XQ

That make up is impressive!

Chetanlaiho
October 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Both so pretty! But yes it's unfair xD Anything from the gorgeous natural black to light blonde and unnatural >_<

I'd kill to have this girl's haircolours: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljp3rdf2cB1qh2840o1_400.jpg (and I probably will xD) but I'm worried that it won't look good on me >_<

Columbia River
October 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I think the girl in the first picture looks way too seductive for how young she looks...I can not get past that enough to comment the hair color. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I must not understand the art to the look.

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I'm of Asian ancestry. And I think the reason it seems that Asian girls can pull of any hair color is that they use makeup to make their skin tone look neutral.

I do think it has something to do with their skintone. I'm really pale in winter, but I still have that rosy undertone, no matter what I try with makeup. Asians have a more yellow based tone, that seems to work well with any haircolor. I dyed my hair superblonde once but it didn't look good against my skintone at all. It didn't fit for some reason...

That make up is impressive!
I know! She has a whole bunch of makeup transformations and most of them are very convincing. She even managed to look like Angelina Jolie at one point, which is quite a feat!

Both so pretty! But yes it's unfair xD Anything from the gorgeous natural black to light blonde and unnatural >_<

I'd kill to have this girl's haircolours: http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljp3rdf2cB1qh2840o1_400.jpg (and I probably will xD) but I'm worried that it won't look good on me >_<

Woah that's quite risky indeed. I do like the contrast between the colors. Saw a girl with jet black hair and blue streaks once. She looked awesome, but the streaks only worked because her hair was naturally black. What's your natural haircolor?

I think the girl in the first picture looks way too seductive for how young she looks...I can not get past that enough to comment the hair color. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I must not understand the art to the look.

It's hard to guess age, especially when the girl has obviously altered her looks a lot with dye and makeup. Her eyes are made up to look bigger than they are. The nose ring indicates she's at least around her mid teens; in my country it's illegal to get one before 16 and it would be dangerous to do on your own. She's obviously young, but I don't find the picture offensive or improper. She isn't skimpily clothed and the look she throws into the camera can be interpreted many ways.

Also, when I was 13/14 the popular girls in class all had seductive pics of themselves on myspace and chatsites and their pictures made this look like your average yearbook photo in comparison. These days youngsters are just as bad (if not worse).

xoxophelia
October 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think asians can pull off all hair colors better than any other race. It helps sometimes to have fair skin just so you can make it look "white" with makeup or photo editing (by white I don't mean the race-I mean the color). Or, if the skin is very neutral it can be done.

I really like the first girl's color. If I went a crazy color it would probably either be that or a very very pastel pink.

Yame
October 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM
It's hard to guess age, especially when the girl has obviously altered her looks a lot with dye and makeup. Her eyes are made up to look bigger than they are. The nose ring indicates she's at least around her mid teens; in my country it's illegal to get one before 16 and it would be dangerous to do on your own. She's obviously young, but I don't find the picture offensive or improper. She isn't skimpily clothed and the look she throws into the camera can be interpreted many ways.

Is she from your country, though? I'm not sure a nose ring can necessarily indicate age. I got mine when I was 11.

But otherwise, I agree. I don't think she really looks all *that* young, and I don't see anything seductive about the picture.

Columbia River
October 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Maverick, I agree...all a matter of perspective. Peace.

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM
11, wow. I thought the ages would differ a bit, but I didn't expect it to be this much. Did you get the same type she did?

xoxophelia
October 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
She looks about 16 to me. And really, it isn't like she is showing lots of skin. She just looks pretty.

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Maverick, I agree...all a matter of perspective. Peace.

No problem. I can understand your POV.

Mairéad
October 13th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm going to say Photoshop probably plays a huge role in it.

Orangerthanred
October 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Meh. I don't think it has anything to do with race.

I know plenty of Europeans and a few Africans who can pull off any colour- from jet black to blonde to unnatural colours.

Yame
October 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM
11, wow. I thought the ages would differ a bit, but I didn't expect it to be this much. Did you get the same type she did?

Not the same type, no, but I don't think there is an age requirement about piercings in a lot of countries. If you think about it, piercings are a part of a lot of cultures and in some places people get them as babies/young children. In most places it's legal to pierce a baby girl's ears, so why not something else? I've seen Indian babies with nose rings. Not that any of this is a part of this particular girl's culture, but I think with parental permission a young girl could feasibly get a piercing like this in a lot of countries.

Yame
October 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM

I know plenty of Europeans and a few Africans who can pull off any colour- from jet black to blonde to unnatural colours.

Agreed! Plus with lots of makeup and photoshop, any unnatural color will look even better.

pepperminttea
October 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Agreed. I think it's more about an individual's colouring than their race. I have brown eyes and hair. I'm white, but so is a natural red head with freckles, and someone with Scandinavian blonde. Could I pull off blonde or red? Heck no, I'm way too pink in the face. :p

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Not the same type, no, but I don't think there is an age requirement about piercings in a lot of countries. If you think about it, piercings are a part of a lot of cultures and in some places people get them as babies/young children. In most places it's legal to pierce a baby girl's ears, so why not something else? I've seen Indian babies with nose rings. Not that any of this is a part of this particular girl's culture, but I think with parental permission a young girl could feasibly get a piercing like this in a lot of countries.

It must be late because I feel stupid for not thinking of this. You're absolutely right. Now I'm off to locate the braincells I have left ;-)

Maverick494
October 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Well though I obviously made a broad generalization with my original post I actually meant it in the way of coloring. Does the (skin) coloring of many asian people allow these drastic changes better than that of others? I'm as pale as that girl with the purple hair in winter, but the undertones in my skin won't allow that colur to look good on me, just like light blonde completely washes me out.

Springlets
October 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I've never seen an Asian girl pull off blonde hair actually. I lived in Hawaii and was surrounded by Asian friends. Any other color I think they can do though.

Juneii
October 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I beg to differ! It is not the race but the skin tone and facial features as others have mentioned on here. I cannot begin to tell you the many asian girls I have met who do NOT pull off different hair colors well at all. But yes, the photos you show are examples of Asian girls who can pull off the fantasy hair colors :)

ebba
October 13th, 2011, 07:38 PM
The second girl's hair is a wig

luxepiggy
October 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
It's all in the makeup! (^(oo)~)

If you compare the number of foundation shades offered by Western & Asian beauty brands, it's quite clear that they approach skintone with vastly different philosophies. Western brands typically have a dozen or more shades per collection, in an attempt to offer perfect colour matches to consumers' natural skin tones. MAC's huge gamut of number- and letter-coded foundation shades is a prime example.

In contrast, major Asian beauty brands typically offer no more than 6 shades per line. Rather than purchasing foundation to match underlying skintone, in Asia the idea is to neutralize excessive warmth or coolness in skintone to bring it in line with the proferred shades. Thus, nearly everyone ends up at or close to a neutral skintone.

Flying Penguin
October 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I've always thought the opposite - that being Asian means I can't do anything to my hair color-wise without it looking obviously unnatural (not even highlights). I have some mild envy of Caucasian girls for being able to dye their hair blonde, brown, red, etc. and still look like it could be natural. :) Also having naturally very dark hair makes it very damaging to go lighter, of course. But I guess that's good cuz I have no temptation to dye my hair. :)

Of course, that's referring to having hair colors that look natural. Regarding those fantasy colors, I don't necessarily think Asians pull it off better because or skin tone or anything, but it's more of a cultural thing. I dunno though.

Alex Lou
October 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'd guess that the first girl is in the 17-19 range. Most of the girls I see looking like that are.

I think that having a pale or yellow skin tone does help with most colors. But I've got a pink skin tone as a natural redhead and I can pull of most colors with make-up.

Here's my hair hero looking fantastic in every color: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/4096852196/

Alex Lou
October 13th, 2011, 09:53 PM
The second girl's hair is a wig
Both are wigs ;)

Áine
October 13th, 2011, 09:53 PM
That woman in the first pic is probably in her early to mid 20's. And by her facial structure, I do believe she is Asian. I've seen that transformation enough times to know it when I see it. Eyelid tape or glue to get a double eyelid, fake lashes push it up even further, circle lenses to get the anime look, and the makeup pulls it all together. Chin down, eyes widened and looking at an upward angle, lips slightly parted. Yeah, that's pretty regular stock.

The whole point of being gyaru or doing an uzzlang is to look as young and cute (like a dolly look) as possible. That's the aesthetic. A 30 year-old Asian woman with this styling will look 15 years younger than a similar aged Caucasian woman.

Linda Le aka "Vampy", age 30

http://youbentmywookie.com/wookie/gallery/1210_weekly_geekly_12_3/linda-le-weekly-geekly_1.jpg

Scarlett Johansson, age 26

I chose her because she's one of the few actresses that hasn't changed her face beyond a nose job. http://www.boomtron.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Scarlett-Johansson-641.jpg

Sookie
October 14th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Lots of make up, false lashes and lenses make you look a different person. They actually much the hair colour with the skin tone and the shades of the make up.

Chetanlaiho
October 14th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Woah that's quite risky indeed. I do like the contrast between the colors. Saw a girl with jet black hair and blue streaks once. She looked awesome, but the streaks only worked because her hair was naturally black. What's your natural haircolor?
My natural colour is brownish which has been looking very dark brown lately for some reason. So I'll have to dye it black first and I'm afraid the dye will bleed into the blonde parts xD And that the colour will be too harsh for me, but I'm more tan now so that might help.

Maverick494
October 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM
My natural colour is brownish which has been looking very dark brown lately for some reason. So I'll have to dye it black first and I'm afraid the dye will bleed into the blonde parts xD And that the colour will be too harsh for me, but I'm more tan now so that might help.

Well since you're going for black with blonde, I wouldn't dye your hair jet black. I think black with a brown undertone would be better to set the stage for the highlights, so to say. When I was still in my experimental phase, I had my hair dyed in that colour and later added highlights because the black looked so harsh on me. It's certainly possible, but you need to make sure you get the right base colour.

To be honest I'd get it done by a professional. I tried a whole year to get my hair the colour I wanted and when I still didn't quite have it after that I got a hairdresser to do it and she got it right in one go. So realize that when you think you're saving money, you might actually not be. So what I would do is get a consultation at several salons. Take the picture with you, ask if and how they would achieve the look and then decide if you like the method enough to get it done.

Maverick494
October 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
It's all in the makeup! (^(oo)~)

If you compare the number of foundation shades offered by Western & Asian beauty brands, it's quite clear that they approach skintone with vastly different philosophies. Western brands typically have a dozen or more shades per collection, in an attempt to offer perfect colour matches to consumers' natural skin tones. MAC's huge gamut of number- and letter-coded foundation shades is a prime example.

In contrast, major Asian beauty brands typically offer no more than 6 shades per line. Rather than purchasing foundation to match underlying skintone, in Asia the idea is to neutralize excessive warmth or coolness in skintone to bring it in line with the proferred shades. Thus, nearly everyone ends up at or close to a neutral skintone.

Interesting, I never knew that!

invisiblebabe
October 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM
The nose ring could also be fake (magnetic or clip on).

I love those makeup/celebrity costume tutorials that were linked! She is really talented!