PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus bun instruction video

Hypnotica
July 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I got an new digital camera yesterday, so I wanted to test the video function. It became a video on how you do the Nautilus Bun (my favourite).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=466690622319220011

dorothea-brooke
July 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Wow -- fabulous video, thanks! And your hair looks great!

cheers,
dorothea

Riot Crrl
July 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
OH cool! Now I see!

Hypnotica
July 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Wow -- fabulous video, thanks! And your hair looks great!

Thank you! :D

cheers,
dorothea

OH cool! Now I see!

Yeah, it's hard to describe the bun with words. So much easier with a video.

Sceleste
July 4th, 2008, 02:54 PM
How do you recognize a hardcore LHCer? There's loads of hair stuff hanging on the wall. :p

Thanks for the video. I didn't know how to do this bun but I'm sure I can figure it out now.

Mirmy
July 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Brilliant. I love seeing a new hair do in a video - it makes it so much easier for me to understand! I can't wait to give it a go. Thanks.

janaana
July 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
That's great. I've just followed your demonstration whilst watching and your video's really clear and easy to follow.

I joined this site to stop me being so lazy with my hair and always doing the same style, so I love seeing people's videos of how to do different up styles and this style feels very nice and secure.

Isilya
July 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I could kiss you right now. I wanted to know how to do this bun since I saw the pics in the article on the old board, but back then I didn't have enough posts to see the instructions. And now you made a very clear video :heartbeat

Thank you :flowers:

happylynngilmer
July 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
YAY! Thanks for that! Great tutorial.

sidenote: I have been making what I thought were nautilus buns for months..have no idea what I'm making then ROFL

emeraldjoy
July 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Please keep these videos coming. I am such a hair idiot, but I really want to do better. I think I am a visual learner.

Hypnotica
July 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
How do you recognize a hardcore LHCer? There's loads of hair stuff hanging on the wall. :p

Thanks for the video. I didn't know how to do this bun but I'm sure I can figure it out now.

:p I don't have nearly enough stuff! Poor bathroom - I always use it as photo studio....

Brilliant. I love seeing a new hair do in a video - it makes it so much easier for me to understand! I can't wait to give it a go. Thanks.

It was *fun* to do! Now I know what I'm going to do this weekend.

Hypnotica
July 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
That's great. I've just followed your demonstration whilst watching and your video's really clear and easy to follow.

I joined this site to stop me being so lazy with my hair and always doing the same style, so I love seeing people's videos of how to do different up styles and this style feels very nice and secure.

You can also flip the loop downwards. That makes the bun look totally different.

I could kiss you right now. I wanted to know how to do this bun since I saw the pics in the article on the old board, but back then I didn't have enough posts to see the instructions. And now you made a very clear video :heartbeat

Thank you :flowers:

:crush:

YAY! Thanks for that! Great tutorial.

sidenote: I have been making what I thought were nautilus buns for months..have no idea what I'm making then ROFL

Pics?? ;)

Please keep these videos coming. I am such a hair idiot, but I really want to do better. I think I am a visual learner.

There will certainly be one or two more.... :eyebrows:

emeraldjoy
July 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
How long is your hair? Mine is almost waist ( about 28.5 inches) and I ran out of hair to twist around the first loop. Maybe I need to practice more.

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
http://http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/123Bond/IMG_3688.jpg

here is my attempt, thank you so much!! it was really easy, my hair needs to be a bit longer, but I think I can make it work...

happylynngilmer
July 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Pics??

I'll take some today while I'm messing around with my sticks. LOL This is what happens when you make a bun soley on the written description-you get something completely different! But whatever I am making, it holds really well, so I don't complain LOL

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM
well, clearly I don't know how to post a pic, but it did work...my hair is 29 almost 30 inches now...my ends didn't tuck in well, but I don't bun my hair often, maybe it needs training.

Hypnotica
July 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
How long is your hair? Mine is almost waist ( about 28.5 inches) and I ran out of hair to twist around the first loop. Maybe I need to practice more.

My hair is an inch shorter then yours, so I think you only need some more practice. Make the initial loop as small as possible and wrap the hair as tight as you can. When pushing the loop upwards, you can thug and wiggle it a bit to loosen it up.

Hypnotica
July 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM

here is my attempt, thank you so much!! it was really easy, my hair needs to be a bit longer, but I think I can make it work...

If you have the pic uploaded somewere, you could always just link to it :)

Riot Crrl
July 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, it's hard to describe the bun with words. So much easier with a video.

Yes, I think I am not literate in written bun instructions.

Angellen
July 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've never been able to get this, but thanks to your video I think I'll be able to master it at last! ;)

Your hair color is stunning, by the way. Beautiful crimson.

Nat242
July 4th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Hypnotica! I might be able to try that bun now.

I just fall all over your hair colour. I want it!! How do you get that with henna?

-- Natalie

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I just have to say I am so impressed with this style, this is the first time I have put up my hair with just a stick (pencil actually) and didn't feel like it was constantly on the verge of falling out!! I even ran out to get ice cream and realized I still had my hair up with the pencil!! wow, good stuff, thanks again so much for the video.

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM

okay did this work?

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 05:41 PM
sorry, I just don't know what I am doing and haven't posted enough to fix my own mistakes....I will stop now!! yikes!

julya
July 4th, 2008, 05:55 PM
MrsB you just had an extra http in the address, this one should work.
MrsB's pic: http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/123Bond/IMG_3688.jpg

I just tried this bun using the video, and I had success on the first try!

rubyann
July 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM
My hair's not quite long enough, but I'm gonna try it anyway! And Hypnotica, your hair is so very beautiful. I have been growing my silvers in, but watching your video has made me start to reconsider henna. Such a lovely, shiny red. I :heart: red hair.

yldchyld
July 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks!! I was just wondering about that bun.

crebbsgirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Ok first, Hypnotica - that hair!! That colour!!! I love it!! Gorgeous!! (Ok, I OD'd on the exclamations but I was really blown away.) Next - thank you so much for posting that video. I'm not sure my hair is long enough to do that but I will certainly try. The video made it much easier to understand.

Thanks again!!

MrsB
July 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
yay, Julya, thank you so much!!!

mimi1153
July 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Had never heard of a nautilus bun, but I luv it and will definitely try it tomorrow morning! :D

Sceleste
July 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I just tried this bun and it comes out messier than Hypnotica's or MrsB's. I think it's because when I wrap the tail around the base it gets wrapped quite tight, and when I put the initial loop around the base I have to loosen it a lot. But I kind of like the messy bun look and it seems to hold quite well, even when done loosely.

AprilElf
July 5th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Gorgeous! Thank you for posting that. :)
The Nautilus has been haunting me for a long time - could never find instructions that I was able to follow ... :rolleyes:
Great video.

Ndnlady
July 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Yey!:disco:Thanks for the instructions! Now I can add a the nautilus bun into my routine!

paradoxx
July 5th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Thanks so much for the video! Videos really help me to learn styles. This should probably go in the articles section. :flowers:

Hypnotica
July 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I've never been able to get this, but thanks to your video I think I'll be able to master it at last! ;)

Your hair color is stunning, by the way. Beautiful crimson.

Thank you! :)

Thanks, Hypnotica! I might be able to try that bun now.

I just fall all over your hair colour. I want it!! How do you get that with henna?

-- Natalie

Henna build-up and a splash of Special Effects "Blood Red". :)

My hair's not quite long enough, but I'm gonna try it anyway! And Hypnotica, your hair is so very beautiful. I have been growing my silvers in, but watching your video has made me start to reconsider henna. Such a lovely, shiny red. I :heart: red hair.

Red hair = the love of my life.

Ok first, Hypnotica - that hair!! That colour!!! I love it!! Gorgeous!! (Ok, I OD'd on the exclamations but I was really blown away.) Next - thank you so much for posting that video. I'm not sure my hair is long enough to do that but I will certainly try. The video made it much easier to understand.

Thanks again!!

I should thank you instead - making the video as hella fun!!

Yellowmoon
July 5th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for sharing the instruction. That's really pretty!

hurricane_gia
July 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hey cool! It's sort of like an inside out bun, but with a twist!

Now all we need is for someone to make an instructional video about crown braiding. hint hint.

Phalaenopsis
July 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah! Another bun to try! I really like it :)

spidermom
Thank you! I've been doing it a bit differently, but your way looks easier. As soon as my hair dries, I'm going to give it a try.

Hypnotica

Now all we need is for someone to make an instructional video about crown braiding. hint hint.

Don't look at me, I'm braid disabled :D

lapushka
July 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Loved watching the video. That's a beautiful bun, and easy to do looks like.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hypnotica
July 5th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Thank you! I've been doing it a bit differently, but your way looks easier. As soon as my hair dries, I'm going to give it a try.

Love to see some pics of it..*hint hint* :)

Loved watching the video. That's a beautiful bun, and easy to do looks like.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

It's super easy. I was doing it veeeery slooooooow in the video.

spidermom
July 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I've got it in my hair right now. As soon as my DD wanders back through here, I'll get her to take a pic.

betsala
July 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
here's my first try at it (though my son pulled it all out at the grocery store a few hours later- he was riding on my back). thanks for the video hypnotica! i love this style!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1069&pictureid=16297

EvaSimone
July 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks Hypnotica!! I can see why this is one of your favorite buns it's really stunning (your hair is beautiful too btw :D).

I am definitely going to try this bun!

AprilElf
July 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Question - Hypnotica, are you left- or right-handed?
I'm right-handed and, curiously, found this bun a lot easier to handle if I reversed hands (ie. hold loop with left and wrap tail with right). This meant I inserted the hair stick from right to left, which is also eaiser for me.

Having said that, I attempted this four times and got one 'good' and one 'bad' bun for both left and right hands.
The attempt pictured below is my favourite (done with 'reversed hands') because it actually looks like a nautilus shell. :) But I'm doubtful I can recreate it.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/nautilus2.jpg

My other attempts are here (http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/AprilElf/Misc%20LHC/nautilus.jpg). With more practice, hopefully I can get more consistent results! ;)
Thanks again for posting the video!

Ciel
July 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Great video! I just lov your long beautiful hair.:)

Hypnotica
July 6th, 2008, 03:12 AM
Question - Hypnotica, are you left- or right-handed?

I'm a leftie :)

AprilElf
July 6th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Ah ha! :eyebrows:

Yeah, I have nothing more to back that up ... just ah ha!
:p

winter
July 6th, 2008, 05:57 AM
It looks awsome, I will give it a try soon.

And also, you have the Ficcare I want in your other video. I tried to order one last week, but they didn't have any then :( Hope it comes back after the homepage update.

winter
July 6th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Well, here is my try. A bit messier than the rest, hair was uncombed and not cooperative at the moment. I love this bun, it is secure and feels weightless.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/9281/nautilus080706ms1.jpg

Koala Kim
July 6th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Thank you for the great video! :flowers:
I actually think I can do it now. :lol:

Gabriel
July 6th, 2008, 08:40 AM
great video! this bun holds my hair up so well! I have a HUGE knitting needle (size 11?) I grabbed to try it with because it was what I had handy and even the needle is weightless.

danacc
July 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm a leftie :)

Depending on how closely we imitate you on the video, we'll have a bunch of leftie up-do's made by rightie's. :)

I thought that reversing hands would make it easier for me. I didn't think to ask what your dominant hand is. Thanks for the video, it is very clear!

danacc
July 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Ok, now I'm confused. I thought a Nautilus bun and an Inside-Out bun were 2 different names for the exact same thing. What is the difference?

1MegMeg
July 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Thank you so much for posting! This is my new favorite bun style. :) I am a leftie too so your instructions were very easy to follow. My hair isn't as long as yours (just shy of 24"), but I can still do the style easily. Before I flip the loop up and spread/flatten it out I stick my hair stick through the loop first and then work it through. This keeps it from getting too spread out/ends unwinding.

Loreyanne_H
July 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Wow, thank you for sharing, I put into my favourites...as I'll need to see it many times until I manage doing the nautius on my hair!

happylynngilmer
July 8th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I just wanted to pop in and say that I didn't forget about the pics- I took some of the fake naut, and the real one; it's just going to be a while before I can get them off my phone and posted.

They look great everyone! I bet a good portion of LHC is wearing a nautilis bun today LOL

Fencai
July 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
that's really cool! When my hair gets longer, Imma have a go at that!

Sceleste
July 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
A braided version of nautilus bun works well too. I've had trouble getting a cinnabun-style braided bun hold. No matter how many pins I use the inner coil doesn't stay in place. Today I braided my hair (english) and did a nautilus. It looks very similar to a braided cinnabun but holds a lot better. I have yet to experiment how it would look like if I did a rope/herringbone/other braid into a nautilus bun.

catkin
July 8th, 2008, 05:34 PM
hey, thanks for the video, it really helped me figure out how to do that kind of bun.

venividibxtchy
January 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the video.

This one took me a bunch of tries, but I finally got it.

Yedda
January 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Very beautiful design, very helpful even though I'm not going to be long enough for while...

mrs carol
January 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Great video. very clear. Your hair is pretty too. I'm going to try it real soon.

Girltron
January 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Gorgeous color and video! This is my favorite bun style by far, because of how easily it holds. I often dislike the way it looks on me-it turns out different every time-and a lot of times the inner wrapped part sort of bulges out and looks weird on me. I do a lot of wraps, I guess I must have thin hair.

April-Elf, good heavens you must have thick hair! I always envy the way updos look in your hair.

Strangely, I'm a rightie and I prefer to do the wrap over my left hand, thereby reversing the directions from what you do. I wonder if it's always easier in one's off hand.

Speedbump
January 22nd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I love your vids! They are so clear they almost make me believe I am not hopeless and that I too can do it. Alas, reality is not quite there...yet. ;)

Hypnotica
January 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thank you all :) I was suprised to see this old thread on the first page again.

Linda K
January 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM
It's going to be some time for me too, but sure enjoy seeing how you long hairs do the do's!

I'm curious if there is a way to some of these styles and keep your ears covered (I half froze mine riding horse in the winter as a kid). 60 degrees and a cool breeze and I'm looking for cover - and feeling dorky (ear muffs in May to mow the yard??? :( )

Briar
January 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
If you knit or have a friend who does, Linda K, try the Calorimetry (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTcalorimetry.html) hat to keep your ears warm. A friend made a teal one for me and it works great!

HotRag
January 24th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I use this kind of ear warmers:
http://www.skidsport.nu/img/m/aid_3416_imgno_1.jpg

I am well known for using these old fashioned things. I even collect vintage "ear warmers" and the pair I use everyday is also vintage :)

They are really great. Small, fits under hats, scarves, hoods, over hairdos, over hairdos but under scarf... and so on.