PDA

View Full Version : Why do it (grow your hair long)?

moxamoll
October 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I've been reading the posts in the "Does your hair feel long?" thread and it brought to mind a question I've been mulling over for a while.

Since most of us advocate wearing our hair up to limit damage, why bother growing it long? Some of the folks on the other thread mentioned that people they know have never seen their hair down. So if no one knows that your hair reaches BSL, waist, knees... why do to all the work?

I'm not trying to critique your decision, after all, I'm doing it too! I'm just curious what it is about long hair that attracts you? And what, for you, decides an occasion when you wear it up as opposed to when you wear it down?

GracieRae
October 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have mine loose most of the time but I think you can do some beautiful braids and updos with long hair. Plus, it makes it more special when they do let it down for a special occasion. ;)

bte
October 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Sooner or later, you will get the following replies

a) because...

b) because I can...

Both of these are true - it's enough reason to want long hair to grow it - even if nobody else sees it, since for many the motivation is for personal enjoyment and fulfilment. For others it is a balance between protecting hair and showing off its length, and everybody with hair long enough to be put up (which disguises the length), rather than tied back (which generally fdoesn't) makes a personal choice. Interesting question, though!

Panth
October 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
You could try these threads:

Why did you decide to grow your hair long? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47613)
Why Grow It If You Keep It UP? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54784)
If you always wear hair up, why did you grow it long? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66535)
Why the long hair? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635)
Why Do You Grow Your Hair Long? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26779)
What inspired you to grow long hair? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43906)

As you can see, it's a pretty common question. ;)

moxamoll
October 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
You could try these threads:

Why did you decide to grow your hair long? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47613)
Why Grow It If You Keep It UP? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54784)
If you always wear hair up, why did you grow it long? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66535)
Why the long hair? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635)
Why Do You Grow Your Hair Long? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26779)
What inspired you to grow long hair? (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43906)

As you can see, it's a pretty common question. ;)

Hmm.... apparently, I used the wrong terms in the search engine. :rolleyes: What WAS I searching...? Oh well - thanks!

Kiwiwi
October 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM
So if no one knows that your hair reaches BSL, waist, knees... why do to all the work?

I have to point out that I don't like that way of thinking. I don't do things for other people, I mostly do them because I like it, or because I like it that people I truly love like it.
I also plan to wear it up as much as possible to protect it until I reach a length I am happy with. Then I will wear my curls out and rock it.

But, to answer your question ^_^
I do it for several reasons.
I think it will be beautiful on me.
I will enjoy all the different hairstyles I can do with long hair, the creativity that comes with it.
I think it will make my thick, curly hair look a lot better because of the weight and length.
And because I just want to have really long hair atleast once in my life (it's on my list of things I want to have done/achieved in my life) :)

MsBubbles
October 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Since most of us advocate wearing our hair up to limit damage, why bother growing it long? Some of the folks on the other thread mentioned that people they know have never seen their hair down. So if no one knows that your hair reaches BSL, waist, knees... why do to all the work?

Because we like wearing it up :p.

Slinks
October 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM
my answer is pretty simple, I've never had beyond BSL hair, I'm 47 don't dye and want to be a long grey haired hippy of a grandma !! I wear my hair down when I go out .. tho I like the comfort of wearing my hair up, I love my sticks and other toys and the plus of wearing my hair up, I get to show off my many ear piecings .. :-)

isabelx
October 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm going to wear my hair up all the time until I reach around BSL, because I'd be content with never getting past BSL. Waist would just be a treat! :)

pepperminttea
October 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Why not? :D

luxepiggy
October 13th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I leave my hair down most of the time, 'cos I like showing the length! So I guess I'm not really part of the question's target audience :o

like! (^(oo)^)

Cainwen
October 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Several reasons. 1) If my hair is long, I have options. I can put it up in dozens of styles, or let it down. With short hair, I have exactly one style: frustratingly disobedient wurls/curls. 2) I hate having things on my neck, so long hair enables updos that keep hair off my neck, which I was never able to achieve with a pixie. 3) I like it.

Basically, with length I can contain and control my hair.

thelittlestdoc
October 13th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I enjoy the flexibility in styling I gain when my hair is longer. And I usually wear my hair down once or twice a week, so people can definitely see my length.:cheese:

HairFaerie
October 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I cannot wear updos, they give me headaches, so I will be wearing it down during all stages of growth. So, I guess I am not part of your targeted audience for the question either! :)~

Of the Fae
October 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Because long hair looks so different on everybody. I have never had long hair as a kid and it seems quite uncommon these days to have hair longer than BSL. It almost has an otherworldy vibe to it :) Which I like

Columbia River
October 13th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I've always been a long hair at spirit, stuck in a Pixie body...it's time to have that magical long hair. I can see me with waist, or classic, either loose or a braid...not sure about updos, not there yet.

owlathena
October 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Yep! That's my answer anytime I get asked why I'm growing my hair out.

darklyndsea
October 13th, 2011, 04:05 PM
...Aren't hairstyles the point of growing hair long? I don't want my hair to just lie there like everybody else's; that's just boring.

Well, that and getting rid of the "my hair is a triangle" thing...still not long enough for that.

I really can't leave my hair loose at any length, because it gets EVERYWHERE.

feb26
October 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I can't wear it fully loose much b/c it gets EVERYWHERE!!
I just feel more like me with longer hair, have had it long the majority of my life. longer hair is part of my identity, i guess :hmm:

i also agree with the comments on styling: short hair's handy but allows NO creativity. I like buns, braids & half up styles. I looove headbands, colorful elastics & accessories. I'm addicted ;)

Mesmerise
October 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I wondered that too when I first joined LHC...now I just appreciate that we're all different and some like to have long hair just for themselves!

Personally if I was going to wear my hair up ALL the time... well I may as well have a pixie, as It'd be just as flattering on me (in that... I don't feel particularly pretty when my hair is all pulled back). When I do wear my hair tied back, it's just for convenience... because it's getting in the way, and I want to exercise, or do the housework or something... or it's just windy and I'm trying to eat :p.

So for me personally I don't see the point of growing my hair long if I'm not going to wear it out. I want it long because I think long hair is pretty and I want people to look at me and see my pretty hair and think, "wow she's got such beautiful hair!" (Vain or what??? :p Then again, I've never been a particularly pretty person, so I suppose I just want something that does stand out and is attractive!).

I also don't want super long hair though... I guess if I did I'd have to wear it in protective updos all the time just so it'd have a chance of reading those long lengths. I don't really want longer than in the vicinity of hip.

However, I can understand having a goal like long hair, just because you can too! It's kinda like deciding you want to run a marathon... or climb Mt. Everest... it's a big goal and something that takes time to achieve! It's also something that very few people actually do, so it's something of an accomplishment.

And I also understand doing stuff just because YOU like it! I do stuff for me that nobody else has to know about as well.

So yeah, there are a multitude of reasons for growing long hair, and they're all valid.

Foxy_Booker
October 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
My initial reason for growing my hair long was because my hair was usually around BSL and then I had a big chop that I hated and I've always felt like I look better with long hair so I started taking really good care of my hair so it would grow back faster and nicer.

The reason why I grew past BSL and am continuing to grow is because I got obsessed with the process so basically addicted to the journey. It gives me something to look forward to.

The third reason also linked in with the obsession part is I love animals and basically all things soft and fluffy so why wouldn't I decide to grow soft and fluffy right out of my head. :)

I also like the wow factor you get people see your hair. I have always tried to be unique in a lot of areas of my life so long hair just seems to be me.

Intransigentia
October 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
How about: my hair is long so I can wear it up. And the longer it is, the more things I can do with it.

Madora
October 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I've always been fascinated by long hair (waist and longer).

Also, I love the creative aspect of caring for long hair. My imagination can run wild and a successful hairstyle makes my day.

Lastly, wearing it up protects it and I don't have to bother with tangles.

JellyBene
October 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've been reading the posts in the "Does your hair feel long?" thread and it brought to mind a question I've been mulling over for a while.

I'm not trying to critique your decision, after all, I'm doing it too! I'm just curious what it is about long hair that attracts you? And what, for you, decides an occasion when you wear it up as opposed to when you wear it down?
Moxamoll, your signature cracks me up! I am SO using that line... And I am growing my hair long but I really enjoy wearing it down 99% of the time.

longhairedwolf
October 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I just miss the feeling of long hair. I like to feel it on my shoulders, feel it move when I do, and have it long enough to toss behind my shoulders! It's very tactile. I think at most I would put it in a pony tail. I'd rarely ever put it up.

moxamoll
October 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Moxamoll, your signature cracks me up! I am SO using that line... And I am growing my hair long but I really enjoy wearing it down 99% of the time.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, even though my question wasn't original. It is interesting to see all the different versions of the thought process. Also, cool to see that at least some folks consider the "wearing up to prevent damage" as more necessary for waist+ hair. Personally, I love wearing mine up and down and I was kinda sad to think I should start wearing it down less. I think I'll continue to do as I like and just keep an eye out for changes.

Glad you like it JellyBene, it's actually a quote from the Improv Soap Opera in Edmonton "Die-Nasty" - my BF and I just cracked up! It's also where "bran damage" entered our vocabulary. As in "I'm sorry I forgot to do that, it was such a long day at work that my bran isn't functional." :misskim:

Red Rapunzel
October 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Because I have always loved long hair and was not permitted to have it when I was younger. Then later I tried to achieve it, but didn't know how to "get there" so I'd end up cutting in frustration. Thanks to TLHC I have arrived!! (Better late than never!) Also, I love how it makes me feel like a mermaid when I wash it!

CavySong
October 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
my answer is pretty simple, I've never had beyond BSL hair, I'm 47 don't dye and want to be a long grey haired hippy of a grandma !! I wear my hair down when I go out .. tho I like the comfort of wearing my hair up, I love my sticks and other toys and the plus of wearing my hair up, I get to show off my many ear piecings .. :-)
Dittos on all that...well, except for the piercings. I was married before I got my ears pierced, happy with my singles, but love well done piercings, etc. on others. I place a very high value on aesthetic self expression.

and, oh, I love it when my dear husband helps me with my hair, just love it!

CavySong
October 13th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Oh, I have had longer than BSL, but looking forward to the hippie grandma life :)

GoddessLocks
October 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Well when my hair was long in the past i wore it down when out and about becuase I liked showing the length off. I plan on doing this as well when it gets longer now. I do wear it in bun most of the time at home though because I have a baby and he likes to grab my hair lol. But when going out I love wearing it down - except when its windy! I hate tangley messes!

kidari
October 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
For me long hair is easier, it suits me better, and it's very versatile. I do love having APL hair with lots and lots of layers but the amount of updos I can do is very limited. With longer hair, I enjoy all the different looks I can achieve depending on my mood. Plus it looks even better down!

Cirafly24
October 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Well, there are many reasons I am growing my hair long. Here are a few:

1. I like how it looks long. I wear it down about 20% of the time, so some people see it, but that doesn't really matter. I like how it looks to me...I don't really care how it looks to most other people.
2. I like being able to create pretty, intricate updos, which I might not be able to do with shorter hair.
3. The patience and perseverance it takes to grow and care for long hair makes me better able to apply those principles to other areas of my life.

sisi33
October 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
The CHALLENGE- the fact that I -sort of- have a problem with cutting my hair- addictive! That and because I would just rather have it. I like the way it looks, feels, and it acts less like freak (yes, my hair is it's own entity :p).

mrs carol
October 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
because I like it long and so does my hubby.

Monkey962
October 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I just like it. It's weird, for much of my young life I had a buzz, and would never have noticed or given much thought to a person with say, knee length hair. I might have thought 'oh wow, that's a lot of hair', but not much else. Then, long story short, I decided I'd grow my hair out. Just to my shoulder blades at first, I figured. As I was growing it out though, I really really enjoyed it. For example, after a shower, it felt so good on my shoulders, and when it was dry and tangle-free it just felt so luxurious. After a lot of that, I figured, why not shoot for waist? I thought it was a good goal. And of course, as I was getting there, I enjoyed it more and more, and set my goal length longer and longer. Lately my goal of 40" feels kind of daunting, but at this point I feel like why not? I feel like this is my one chance at growing it that long in my life before age starts to get the better of me (even though I'm very young still). Depending on how well I can manage it, I may grow my hair just a little bit longer still to 42", as a Douglas Adams reference. :P

Yame
October 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
My hair has been somewhere between waist and hip for something like 5 years now. Up until I joined LHC, I *always* wore it down, except sometimes I wore it in a pony tail, but no real updos whatsoever.

I grew my hair long because I thought I looked better with long hair than short hair, because I think my hair looks better when it's long rather than short, and because there is something magical and fairy tale-like about long hair. Whenever I would see a girl rockin' short hair, I'd think "wow, that short hair looks great on her!" Whenever I would see a girl with beautiful long hair, on the other hand, I'd think "wow, I wish my hair was like that!"

As a kid, I always wanted long, "princess" hair and my mom would always cut it in a bob. Being older and able to do what I want with my hair, I went for the hair I'd always wanted. I never set a goal for myself. I just decided I wanted long hair, and when it got to a length I was happy with, I kept it up with trims.

Now I want to grow it longer, and I started wearing it up often. I wear it up around 5 days of the week, and down on weekends. Anyone who sees me perform, or sees me on weekends, or sees photos and videos of me gets to see my hair the way it is. People who only see me during the week don't get to see my hair, with a few exceptions. I don't see how this is any different than anything else in my life. The people I work with don't get to know everything about my personal life, don't get to see me act freely the way I would in a non-professional environment. The people I work with don't get to see me in a bikini. Not seeing my hair is just an extension of that.

Even if no one but me would ever get to see my hair, though, I'd still want to keep it long. Because *I* know how it looks and I want it to look good to *me*. Most people don't get to see my body, either, but I still do what I can to keep it in a state that is acceptable to me.

Also, now that I am learning different simple buns, I have discovered that it's kind of fun trying to figure out a new one, and playing with my hair to get it to work. I can do a few different buns now, and there are some buns which I would need more length for, and it's kind of exciting to think that I will be able to do them once I reach the right length. Some people grow their hair just for that purpose.

spidermom
October 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I love having lots of options/up-dos.
Plus when I'm ready to relax and enjoy my hair, it's there for me. I don't care if anybody else ever sees it. It's mine, for me.

PixxieStix
October 13th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Well, I share many of the same reasons for growing my hair as others on this board, but there are a couple that I think are more unique to me , or my condition, whichever you want to look at.

I had long hair as a child and all through the teenage years, but chopped it off because I have trichotillomania, and my hair became my enemy. Now that I am mentally whole and have my trichotillomania under control, it is time for me to finish the healing process, which for me, is letting my hair grow and learning to love it again after considering it the enemy for 14 years.

I love how long hair looks. I love how it feels sliding across my skin, the way it feels when my FH plays with it or runs his fingers through it.

I love that it is a journey, that it cultivates patience and acceptance of the way things are, and how to make the most of them. I think I can learn from my hair, and caring for it is much like caring for myself as a whole.

And, I want to be able to do the most amazing updos ever! There are just soooo many that you can't do without long hair, and hair should be fun. Getting to be creative with it is a huge plus.

neko_kawaii
October 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I like my hair long BECAUSE I can wear it up.

slo2gro
October 13th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I want to grow my hair long for a couple of reasons.

To have it long when I want to wear it down thou most of the time like it up. When its short you dont have those options.

Also, I would like to grow it as I have a brain tumor and will eventually have to lose my hair and would like to make a wig with my own hair and maybe for someone else too.

FrozenBritannia
October 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I am growing mine long because I want to make jaws drop when I take it out of a bun.

*angel face*

Seriously, I like the idea that nobody will know how long my hair is unless I want them to. I also kind of have a fatal fascination for all things victorian, and that includes long hair. I haven't had it really long since I was about 8 so I'm curious as to how it will look now, and since I'm growing a whole new head of hair I'm reluctant to cut it at all.
And the braids. I loooooove the braids. I think it will be fun. (And at the very least, it will keep my brains warm in the winter!!)

KwaveT
October 13th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I want long hair because it is easier to take care of. With my current hair, I have to fight with it to get it to lay and do what I want. Weight of long hair will make this easier. Another reason is that I like the versatility of long hair. You can do so many styles with long hair while you can only wear it one way short. Third reason is that I like to be different and be noticed. Especially like to be complemented. Also, I like the way long hair looks. I think it will look good on me. I about absolutely envy those with long hair. These last two reasons is also why I have long fingernails.

ArienEllariel
October 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM

agreed. :)

teal
October 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Why go to the work of maintaining a short haircut? :D I'm lazy; I don't wanna. So there! :p

I like the look of long hair on me and so does DH. I also like the act of combing my hair. It's soothing in a way that short hair never was.

TheBluffs
October 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I remeber a former member Igor posted the best response I've heard yet. :)

Someone asked me why I grow my hair long and I answered “Because it’s versatile, feminine, low maintenance and fun. And in an age where shoulder length is considered long, it’s more unique and personal than even the brightest artificial colour could ever be”

amberpotamus
October 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The CHALLENGE- the fact that I -sort of- have a problem with cutting my hair- addictive! That and because I would just rather have it. I like the way it looks, feels, and it acts less like freak (yes, my hair is it's own entity :p).

Yes!! Exactly! I *will* defeat the evil, does-what-it-wants, frizzy-because-I-live-in-the-armpit-of-the-United-States monster!

Plus I *love* all the fancy styles. I've always had layers in the past because my hair is huge and massive and everywhere when it gets even just into the double digits of inches and everyone says hair like that looks better with layers, but it's so hard to get even just a decent braid or bun at BSL with layers, so I've decided I'm just going to grow it blunt cut this time. (...If it ever gets long enough to be blunt cut to begin with. Sigh.) I also think of complicated updos as an art form, kind of like knitting, which I also love. So that's why.

dulce
October 13th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I like to wear mine in a topsy tail ponytail or my favorite,a long braid down my back held with a flexi 8 clip and matching earrings.Sometimes forks and other stuff for a change but I love love my flexis!!!

racrane
October 13th, 2011, 10:35 PM
There are lots of reasons for me but I truly feel most myself with long hair. Also, I love long braids. :D

bridgetsgirl
October 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
It's one of the few "odd" things I can do with my hair and have it be OK for work- no dreads or purple hair for at least 3 years here. I'm also curious what my hair's natural limit is, and it's a test of discipline and willpower.

Misty'sMess
October 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I'm growing my hair long because it feels so natural. If hair was meant to be short, it wouldn't grow. I try not to use chemicals on it, preferring organic and locally make products.

HumanBean
October 13th, 2011, 11:05 PM
This is my first post. I've been lurking about 3 weeks now. My hair is currently just past my shoulders. I had not consciously been growing it out, but rather just have had a busy couple years with very infrequent salon trips. I've had APL as a teenager, but never much longer than that. I've also had a pixie before. But of late the last few years my length had been hovering between chin and shoulder.

I had been recently searching for tips on growing out a short cut because my son wants to grow his out, and that's how I stumbled onto this site. I've been fascinated by the possibilities here with updos and braids, and so I've decided now would be as good a time as any to grow it longer and see if I like it. I've told my husband, and although he is not a fan of longer hair, he was supportive and understood.

What's funny is I sort of do some of the things on here already. My mom had us do vinegar rinses as kids - so I'm eager to try that again -, I use styling products very rarely, I oil my hair, I've only washed my hair weekly for years. I returned to my natural color over the last two years. I didn't really know why I was doing these things, I just have been. So the idea of being conscious and planfull about my hair routine is intriguing to me.

So for me I guess it's more of an experiment with my style just because I can.

Panth
October 14th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Hmm.... apparently, I used the wrong terms in the search engine. :rolleyes: What WAS I searching...? Oh well - thanks!

*grin* If I want to do any serious sort of searching on LHC I just use a Google advanced search rather than the LHC's own search button. So, go to Google, type in the terms, hit enter, then click 'Advanced Search' (it's in little writing just below the 'search' button), then type LHC's url into the 'search within a site or domain' section.

Have to say it works far better than LHC's search...

Bazinga
October 14th, 2011, 01:13 AM
When my hair is as long as I want it I'm definitely going to wear it down more often. At the moment I'm trying to grow it long as fast as possible and as I have read here many times it helps if your hair is up because of the damage.

bbvt
October 14th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I have had long hair pretty much my whole life so I'm just used to it. It's a part of me, plus I ALWAYS wear it down unless I'm sleeping or exercising.

Rhodugune
October 14th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I'm growing it long because of me, so wearing it up most of the time and so people over all miss that it's long, doesn't make having longer hair less fun for me.

I know it's length and that's enough to make me happy about my hairlength choice.

Compliments are of course always nice, as it says, my hair is my one weakness. ;)

CrystalStar
October 14th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I'm growing mine long because I've always enjoyed the look and feel of having long hair! I love how versatile it can be, and the fact you can just sweep it up when you don't want it in your face! :)

Libbylou
October 14th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I think maybe I am growing my hair long because I long for the days I was 17. The simpler life, no worries, most every one you know is healthy and not gone from your life.
My hair was TB length then and I love how most people would say"how do you do make your hair do that".

summergreen
October 14th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I'm 47 don't dye and want to be a long grey haired hippy of a grandma !!

Me too! Long haired hippy grandma pride!

Ive always loved long hair and I do feel that its more natural. I dont wear mine up when Im out, unless its blowing a gale or Im having a really bad hair day.

Roscata
October 14th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Honestly I love having my hair up. Why? Because:
- it doesn't touch my (face, neck, back, etc) skin
- it doesn't get tangled
- it keeps me cool in the summer
- it doesn't get visibly frizzy during the rainy season
- I can wear a hat/beanie without getting hat hair
- I don't find random hairs on my clothes or furniture
- I love how I look with it up
- it always looks nice (neat, even) and it only takes me about a minute (usually less) to put it up

The way some people think wearing their hair up means not enjoying their length, I think of wearing my hair down as not enjoying my length. I figure if I put the effort into growing it out I might as well enjoy it/play with it by learning new and cool updos.

Concerning the "no one will see the length" I'm not growing my hair out for other people, I'm doing it for me. Besides with my hair up and people not knowing how long it is I probably will not have to deal with (I haven't had any of those issues yet) the: "donate it to locks of love" or "hair that long is weird, cut it" or the random strangers touching it issues.

In conclusion having my hair up protects it, makes me enjoy it in a way I love and keeps (hair related) intrusive comments and actions at bay. :D

PianoPlaye
October 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Because I was raised a short hair, let it grow over my collar & then spent 'way too much time and money fussing at it. Now I'm heading towards being a genuine longhair, and I have lots more fun on much less money.
It goes up and stays up daily because down & loose only looks glorious when the weather coopoerates, & here in Lancashire the rainsodden lank length is not a happy look. :o
Long hair means I can play with the good toys - like you have to have pierced ears to get the serious gemstone earrings.
Long hair means if I don't have a scarf when it suddenly gets cold - not a problem. Unleash the braid and snuggle around the throat... (Massive detangle later, but ooooh warm!) :D
Long hair makes for more amusing conversations on hair envy, and lets me either flaunt or distract from my grey hairs.
And finally because properly cared for, and weather premitting, wehen it's down, it is stunning - surprising even me. Adds spice to "letting your hair down"! :cheese:

MrsGuther
October 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time out of convenience, but I LOVE wearing my hair down around my husband. He always gives me nice compliments on my hair and how beautiful and long he thinks it is. The longer my hair gets, the easier it is for me to put it up in new updo's. I just like long hair. Oh, and why not grow it long? Hair keeps growing as long as we're alive, so why not let it do it's thing!!!? :)

Carissamarie08
January 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think long hair is prettiest on girls. And its versatile...lots of styles you can do.

CSallaround
January 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I think long hair is prettiest on girls. And its versatile...lots of styles you can do.
Agreed. Actually part of the reason I want long hair is for it to look prettier when it's up. xD

Amber_Maiden
January 17th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Because it gives me something to do. Because I think I look good with long hair. Because I want to stand out from the mainstream. Because I'm an elf :D

CSallaround
January 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Because I'm an elf :D
Best. Reason. Ever. :D

Red_Wednesday
January 17th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I do it because I like the way that I look with long hair. I've had it short and long. I'm 5'10.5" so in my opinion I think it looks more feminine on me. I also like the versatility of it. Short hair was constant maintenance, running back and forth to a salon to keep up with the cut. Now, when i pin it up, i can still look nice and professional without periodic trips to a stylist. Lastly, I love the expression on DH's face when I let my hair down and my hair falls down my back:D. I'm only at about APL right now, I can't wait to see his expression when I make it to waist:D.

white.chocolate
January 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM
My goal length (for now) is thigh length, or almost knee length. I've never had that length of hair before so I'm trying it out. I believe it's something that has to be lived at least for once. You have a point about not letting hair down because of fear of damage. Ever since I joined the LHC, I've been more conscious about keeping my hair down and everywhere. Well, it is winter now, and there is no way I'm going around with my hair down what with the super dry weather and all those clothes. During warmer seasons, I'll let my hair down only because it's the most comfortable. Another reason why I'm growing my hair is because there are so many updos I'd like to try out. But whatever I do to my hair (styling it up or letting it down or whatever), I'm doing it for myself, not for anyone else.

slz
January 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Why do it (grow your hair long) ?
I don't do anything - growing is the thing hair does by itself. I let it do it - lazyness.

Quetiepi
January 17th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I grow mine out because it is still thick and beautiful. In a few more years I may not be able to enjoy such luxury.
When I was 35, I felt I looked old. I worried about it, actually. I look back on pictures of my self and only see a young woman.
When I am 70, I will look back on pictures of myself at this age and think I still looked young.
I can't wait to see what waist length virgin gray hair looks like on me.

mzBANGBANG
January 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm growing my hair long because I'm experiencing a quarter-life crisis, lol.

Also, because looking back on older pics of me with long hair I realize I didn't really get to have much fun with it (i.e. styling and updos). Now that I am older, I want to be able to play with my hair more.

Not to mention, I really love the wow factor of Waist Length+ hair. So pretty!

skyblue
January 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Because I'm getting up there in age and I've always wanted ungodly long hair lol so if I don't try now I won't be able to later, since my mother is going bald it stands to reason that this will happen to me too and now that I've learned so much here, I just might be able to attain some nice length, heck it's already longer then it's ever been, and that feels wonderful! I can't wait to feel it on my thighs with out leaning my head back haha! ;)

heidi w.
January 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Why must other people know in order for me to have hair long that I myself like and prefer it this way. I don't need anyone to know, or congratulate me, or like it, or agree with me, or support me. I'm an independent human being, and I get to decide what works best for me and my life. No one else occupies this body.

Not trying to be argumentative, but why is the necessity for a witness a necessity at all?

I don't have it for anyone else. I don't care what someone else thinks. My entire family pretty much thinks I'm nuts. If they were to see it, they would just make various forms of negative comments that I don't really enjoy hearing.

Some of my friends think it's cool, but they fundamentally don't care that I share the visual aspect or not.

Most men have overwhelmingly disliked it, and a few have been ok with it. Only once did I have a guy that really thought it was cool. (He liked to show me off to some of his friends, at first anyway.)

Most women think it's pretty but too long, and should be cut.

Why open myself up to everyone's opinion by wearing it down.

Also, if I wear it down I can count on being stared at, stopped, people trying to touch it, kids grabbing at it with sticky fingers, and it getting caught in people and flying around (if there's wind).

My hair is not a public access privilege.

I grew it simply because I wanted it. Super simple reason. It's no one's affair that I choose to have uber long hair. "Other people" have no rights over my hair.

I have it, and don't mind the work, simply because it makes ME happy. And that's all the reason I need.

I hear this argument a lot, why wear it up if no one ever sees it or knows it's that long. What's the point. We all do things for ourselves and our own internal reasons. We do not need in every situation and decision a witness nor validation from other people to conduct ourselves the way we wish to be in life. I can't explain to anyone why I like my hair so long other than to say I just like it. Moreover, I don't need to justify my choice, nor explain myself. It's not a requirement for having long hair.

IF people make krankypoo comments, which they have and do, I just ignore it. My hair is not up for discussion. It's my body, my life, my choice. It's not plugging your drain, and I'm not asking anyone else to maintain it. Ever. So why do "other people" matter? From my vantage point, this is a non-issue. It's no one else's business what I choose for me and my life.

heidi w.

ArienEllariel
January 17th, 2012, 11:36 AM
1. for the obvious "because it's pretty"
2. it suits me much better than short hair
3. my hairtype behaves much better when it's long
4. I am absolutely horrid at heat styling anyways and besides, my hair hates it
5. it's like a security blanket you can take everywhere! so comforting.

dulce
January 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I wear it down a lot[if weather is not windy] or use my flexis and hair toys.I love the freedom of no dye[am silver now] and no salon cuts as I cut at home.A ton of money and time saved!!Plus I love the natural look.And all the multitude of styles with long hair!Short hair is too limited for me.

jojo
January 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I have long hair because I Love being different from the average 42 year old mum and why have short hair with one style option, when I can have longhair with a multiple of styles to try :D

Long_hair_bear
January 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Because I find long hair beautiful and it gives me something to play within class and I like long braids.

jacqueline101
January 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I grew my hair to please me. I don't care if anyone likes it. I'm not here to judge people on their hair but for me its a feeling you can't describe. Its a sense of pride. I wear my hair up or in a pony tail. People can see my hair growth progress its deceiving due to the curls. I like the shock value when I let my hair down. I love measuring it and tracking my progress.

nobeltonya
January 17th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I wear my hair down a lot, and I like the way it feels on my back.. Also, I used to keep it practically pixie and looked like a boy. Guess I'm making up for lost times. :) And, I like to be able to put it up in different ways. When it's short, not much I can do with it. And, I hate having to get it cut. Now I can do it myself. :)

nellreno
January 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Partially because I prefer how I look with longer hair (even when I do have it up) vs when I have short hair. I don't wear my hair up 24/7 so most people I know have seen me with my hair down.

Partially morbid curiousity. I want to see how long I can grow my hair, I want to see if I can cut out the foot of damage and have healthy beautiful long hair. It's something I've never done before.

CashmereHair
January 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I have mine loose most of the time but I think you can do some beautiful braids and updos with long hair.

ludwig20
January 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I just hope to have long, thick braids. :D

lunamummy
January 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Well I started growing my hair because I think longer hair looks so pretty, up or down, but I'm loving fewer trips to the salon, less money on products, and less time spent in styling, with hairdryers and straighteners. And I wasn't expecting all the fun of putting it up. I LOVE learning all the new updos, trying to fathom out Youtube tutorials.

My hair is fine and thin, so I daresay plenty of people would have an opinion about whether I should grow it or not, but I don't care. I'm growing it for me and keep it up most of the time anyway to protect it. I know it's there :)

inkd
January 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
The satisfaction of reaching a personal goal. Plus, most of us wear it down on special occasions. :)

PinkyCat
January 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I makes me feel so girly & feminine. Plus it's curly which makes it super extra ultra awesome when really long and healthy. And I look kinda hot with a giant bun.:cheese:

Fairlight63
January 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I grow my hair long because:
I don't want to look like every over 60 yr. old with a short Poodle Do-I want to look different!

There is more hair style options, short you can wear it only one way-short

For me it is easier than short hair - a LOT less work! Short hair you have to get it dyed all the time, go to the hair salon & get it cut, when you wash it you have to curl it to give it some shape.

I think that older ladies look more distinguished in an up-do.

thelittleredfox
January 17th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Because I'm a redhead, and so my hair has always been my defining feature, even when shorter. I love it, and therefore want more of it!

Because long hair is so unusual, I hardly ever see women with hair as long as mine (mid thigh now). I like being different, even though I've reached the stage where responses to my hair tend to be negative. Once I got lots of comments about my hair colour, now I only get comments about the length ('you should cut a couple of feet off' and 'too long' tend to be common ones - along with teasing threats about scissors).

Also because, for me, it is a bit of a comfort blanket. I've grown attached to it. I like playing with it. I'd feel less 'me' without it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2169/5805911622_73e5eefeda_z.jpg

moxamoll
January 17th, 2012, 02:12 PM
And I look kinda hot with a giant bun.:cheese:
You go girl! :D

lolabird
January 17th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I like change and I've had my hair short and long over the years. I seem to know more what to do with it when it is long, and to me, it is easier to take care of it when it is long than when it is short. It takes less care, fewer cuts, less styling but maybe because it comes more easily for me to take of my hair when it is long. When I had my first child, I cut my hair from waist length to a bob thinking it would be more "wash and go" and easier because I had less time for myself, but that didn't really turn out to be the case. Also, I think long hair also suits me better, and I have always felt more "me" when it has been a longer length.

frodolaughs
January 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Long hair gives me MANY more options than I had with a pixie cut. I almost always wear it up--that's what's the most practical for me--and it's much more out-of-the way as long hair in an updo than it ever was short. I can wear many different updo's instead of being stuck with just one style, as it was in both pixie and bob lengths. I can choose to wear half-ups or to leave my hair down for special occasions, which I find very satisfying and worth the de-tangling every other blue moon.

I'm just all about having choices...
And I like it!

Pumpkin
January 17th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Why do I grow my hair long? Well, first and foremost, I think I am more attractive with long hair. I feel more complete with long hair...(if that makes any sense??)...more feminine. I do wear it up the majority of the time when I am out in public. My husband has seen me with a pixie and now below bra strap length...I think he prefers long hair on me.

battles
January 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
When I picture myself in my head, I see myself with a long braid. That's pretty much it.

Tota
January 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I grow long hair because I just feel like I have to, like it's time to do that :D Also, I love the feeling of independence when you don't have to go to salon every two months but you can cut your own hair. I saved soooo much money on that in the last two years it's crazy! I wish I'd realize that earlier though ...

Roscata
January 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM
These are the things I love about having my hair up/why I want to grow it out without wearing it down:
- it doesn't touch/tickle my skin
- it doesn't get tangled
- it keeps me cool in the summer
- it doesn't get visibly frizzy during the rainy season
- I don't find random hairs on my clothes or furniture
- I love how I look with it up
- it always looks nice and it only takes me about a minute (usually less) to put it up
- 90% of my joy in having long hair is represented by the amount of cool updos I can put it into

Also (like others have said) I'm growing my hair out for me, not for anyone else. So whether someone knows how long my hair is or not doesn't concern me.

I have a question for you moxamoll: "Why grow long hair if you're going to leave it down? You can do that with short hair."

moxamoll
January 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I have a question for you moxamoll: "Why grow long hair if you're going to leave it down? You can do that with short hair."
Yeah, but then I can't feel it swishing on my neck/shoulders/back/hips/knees/ankles(!)!!! :D:D:D

theresajensen
January 17th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I just never had longer than SL, APL at the most and i really wanna try it, just once :D And i loooove the look of long hair..

Amiblue
January 17th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Even though I am only just a bit past waist when my relatively curly hair is dry, I still enjoy the WOW's I get when I have to put it back up after a child of mine grabs a hand full and they see how long it is. :D Motivated me to keep going. That, and my Hubby wants me to at least hip/tb length.

I mostly keep my hair up because I have little hands trying to pull it (and pull it out), and it gets in the way as it is happily very thick and doesn't like to stay in one place. Lol.

PrairieRose
January 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to grow it because I have never been past BSL, I think I have hardly ever been at BSL! I like learning all kinds of new braids and buns for my hair, I think it is fun. I wear it up a lot to help prevent further damage on my already damaged hair. But I do hope to one day wear it down more often! :)

raveness13
January 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM
- I love all the things I can do with long hair.
- People always notice my updos, more so than they do when hair is down.
- It's very unique, more so than short hair, especially because anything past shoulders is considered long to many people.
- I wear it up for convenience and protection.
- People always get surprised when I take it down. :p
- Because I can.

Carissamarie08
January 17th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Also, I have never really had long hair besides using hair extensions, so I want the real deal!

Roscata
January 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah, but then I can't feel it swishing on my neck/shoulders/back/hips/knees/ankles(!)!!! :D:D:D

Lol. Good point. :D

lunalocks
January 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I love that my defining physical feature is now my hair, not my height.

BlueMuse
January 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I think this is a valid question, and different than the WHY do we grow it. My husband has actually asked me if I wear it up all the time, why not just cut it, because it "looks" short when it's always up.

Welll....

1) having it up looks different than having it short. I had super short hair up until I was 12. Hair back looks worlds different than hair short.
2) it doesn't get in my eyes (even down for that matter) and short hair always gets in my eyes.
3) I have a zillion different styles to choose from, rather than just one. I had no patience for gelling and combing, I do for braids and buns.
4) it's actually cooler than having short hair in the summer, and it's warmer in the winter!
5) when I do wear it down, it stands out.
6) bad hair days can be managed with buns and ponytails rather than a beanie.

auburntressed
January 18th, 2012, 12:04 AM
For me, the whole point of keeping my hair long is the versatility. But more specifically, the braids. I love braids. I love all kinds of braids. I love wearing my hair in a braid. It feels comfortable, and I like how it looks. The shorter my hair is, the fewer options I have with braids.

I also don't have a great deal of patience for styling, and short hair is incredibly difficult to style. When I was a child, I had shoulder length hair for a while. I could barely put it in a ponytale. It stayed loose or in a pony 100% of the time, as my little fingers were not nimble enough to french braid hair that thick when it was that short. I could probably manage it now, maybe, but I like having a loooooong braid, even if the taper drives me nuts.

Also, I'm fat. Long hair distracts from the fatness in a way that short hair doesn't.

When I was a child, I knew a couple of rather large women who had hair that varied between pixies and bobs. It did not flatter them, and I felt that they basically just looked like big, mean, angry women. This was probably because they were big, mean, angry women... and had they been sweet and jovial, my impression of their hair would have matched that instead. But it left enough of a psychological dent in me that I don't ever want to emulate them in any way.

sfgirl
January 18th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love long hair because I find it sexy and in society nowadays, it's eye catching. I don't mind wearing my hair up though, because in most cases I don't care about being the above two things. :)

katsrevenge
January 18th, 2012, 12:54 AM
1. Braids.
2. Because I can.
3. If I don't wanna.. I don't have to do my hair every day. If it is a lazy day..I never have to take my night braid out!
4. Profit.
5. ???
6. Because I want to.
7. I love that letting it down feeling.

Mesmerise
January 18th, 2012, 03:51 AM

This is PRECISELY my goal too! Although my hair isn't long enough yet ;).

Well, it's not the ONLY reason I'm growing my hair long! I'm also growing it because I like long hair. But I will be truly happy when my hair stands out more than my height!

CSallaround
January 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM

How tall/small are you?
I'm 182 cm (don't know how many inches that is) and that always made me stand out. I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to take focus off my height..
I once read somewhere that short hair makes you visually taller, so maybe that's part of the reason for wanting long hair (other than the versatility of course)

gthlvrmx
January 18th, 2012, 10:51 AM
It's fun, it's spiritual, and it makes me feel good and refreshed with mother natures gift.

CSallaround
January 18th, 2012, 10:55 AM
For me, the whole point of keeping my hair long is the versatility. But more specifically, the braids. I love braids. I love all kinds of braids. I love wearing my hair in a braid. It feels comfortable, and I like how it looks. The shorter my hair is, the fewer options I have with braids.

I also don't have a great deal of patience for styling, and short hair is incredibly difficult to style. When I was a child, I had shoulder length hair for a while. I could barely put it in a ponytale. It stayed loose or in a pony 100% of the time, as my little fingers were not nimble enough to french braid hair that thick when it was that short. I could probably manage it now, maybe, but I like having a loooooong braid, even if the taper drives me nuts.

Also, I'm fat. Long hair distracts from the fatness in a way that short hair doesn't.

When I was a child, I knew a couple of rather large women who had hair that varied between pixies and bobs. It did not flatter them, and I felt that they basically just looked like big, mean, angry women. This was probably because they were big, mean, angry women... and had they been sweet and jovial, my impression of their hair would have matched that instead. But it left enough of a psychological dent in me that I don't ever want to emulate them in any way.

I agree that short hairstyles rarely flatter large women. I was a bit overweight few years back and I felt like my hair was somehow a camouflage and took some attention off my size.

I too LOVE braids and it's a big part of the reason I want long hair. Because my current hairlength doesn't really look good braided - it's too short! I can't wait to be rockin' a waistlong braid *sigh*

lunalocks
January 18th, 2012, 11:34 AM
CSallaround, I am 177.8cm. Growing hair down a long back takes time. I am now 33.5 inches and this is about 3 inches below my waist. On smaller bodies it would be close to TB!

This is really not my main reason to grow my hair long. I love it long, love it flowing, love having it get lovlier as time goes on. Having people now comment about my hair, instead of my height, was a pleasant surprise.

AdrianneJean
January 18th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I havent actually had my hair very long in years! Maybe 3 or 4! And since then I've learned a lot of new things about styling and hair care and all that. So partly, it's an experiment to see how I like it, but mainly it's because I think long hair is so beautiful!!

CSallaround
January 18th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CSallaround, I am 177.8cm. Growing hair down a long back takes time. I am now 33.5 inches and this is about 3 inches below my waist. On smaller bodies it would be close to TB!

This is really not my main reason to grow my hair long. I love it long, love it flowing, love having it get lovlier as time goes on. Having people now comment about my hair, instead of my height, was a pleasant surprise.

I know what you mean - it would be nice to get comments a little different than 'Holy cow your SO TALL!' but for now my hair is not long enough to distract people from that first reaction.
Yesterday while waiting for the bus I saw a girl who was as just about as tall as me, but I didn't notice for the first several minutes because I didn't see anything but her looong blonde hair.

I rather meant in general that tall girls prefer to have some length, it's not my main reason either. I just love the feeling of long hair! Caring for it, letting it down, playing with it, petting it :D

Mayflower
January 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I think of it as a natural thing to do. I care for my body too, my skin, I scrub, moisturize, use make-up and what not. So why neglect my hair? I did that for a long time and now I can't imagine why, it's just as much a part of my body as anything else.

I find long hair very romantic and mysterious. Sort of timeless, which I find more beautiful than the trends that come and go these days. Well-cared for, healthy (long) hair never goes out of style!

I'm not a fan of most updo's so I mostly wear my hair down or in a sidebraid or ponytail. Not to show off the lenght but because that's what I find pretty. Wearing it up all the time would take the joy out of it for me too.

vintage88
January 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Long hair is something I have always wanted. To me long hair is so beautiful and feminine. I grew my hair to just past BSL a few years ago but it was so damaged I chopped it. So now I want my hair to be both very long and healthy. I am growing my hair for me, I have had a few negative comments from people but I dont listen, this is my journey and my hair :) I really do love this forum!!

celebriangel
January 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Well... I grow my hair long because I love long hair. I love the *feel* of it tickling my back and arms. It looks good down, but I also like the way I look with it up. I feel put-together and elegant. I love braids, I love intricate styles, and I love hairtoys.

And best of all, it's always out of the way. Short hair was forever in my face - I'd have to almost buzz it to get it properly out of the way.

I can deal with my hair in 1 minute in the morning and it looks good! So different from awkward short hair.

And of course, when I *do* wear it down (infrequently) I like how it looks then too.

honeydippedxo
January 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
When my hair is long I almost always leave it down.
When I do take the time to tie my hair up, I end up putting it down anyways.
My sister has always had long hair but she loves wearing her hair in buns and braids,
and rarely wears it down. How ever anyone enjoys their own hair is all that matters. C:

inkd
January 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM
My favorite part about long hair is how unique it is, in this day and age. In a society where everyone strives to look the same, I take pride in being different. :heartbeat

hellucy
January 23rd, 2012, 05:51 AM
To see if I can.
I'm an impatient person at times so every time I have said I want to grow my hair it gets to somewhere between chin & shoulder & bugs me so much I then cut it all off again.
This time I'm determined to do it - at present my hair is just skimming my shoulders i can put it up in a very short ponytail but this is enough motivation to keep going.
I'm aiming for BSL

MasCat
January 23rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Because:

That's the way (aha aha) I like it (aha aha) :cheese:

Buffy
January 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Let me tell you how i see it and you guys can tell me if there is some truth to this:

I think many long haired girls tend to keep their hair up because obviously they like the different pretty updos they can do with it.....but also .... how can i explain this..... it's pretty much the same logic with this:

Example: I get a new dress! I freakin love it, it's my favorite!

But exactly because i love it so much, i keep it for a special occasion!! But as time passes, in MY eyes this special occasion is never "special enough" (even though it may objectively be) , so i keep this precious dress in my closet!
I'm SO happy i own it, i wear it and admire it in front of my mirror and show it to my friends and my boyfriend, but before i know it a year has passed and i've never worn it outside!!
It makesme happy just having it!

I think this logic may apply to a girl's hair too! I do it all the time!
Do i make any sense?
Does anyone agree or am i crazy???!

Piyo
January 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Example: I get a new dress! I freakin love it, it's my favorite!

But exactly because i love it so much, i keep it for a special occasion!! But as time passes, in MY eyes this special occasion is never "special enough" (even though it may objectively be) , so i keep this precious dress in my closet!
I'm SO happy i own it, i wear it and admire it in front of my mirror and show it to my friends and my boyfriend, but before i know it a year has passed and i've never worn it outside!!
It makesme happy just having it!

I think this logic may apply to a girl's hair too! I do it all the time!
Do i make any sense?
Does anyone agree or am i crazy???!

I'm the same way with dresses and clothes, so I understand the analogy. I wish I could do that with my hair but I am too lazy to keep it up all the time. I always wish I kept it up more so it would be more special when I wear it down. It makes sense to me, I just don't do it.

CastaDiva
January 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Because:

That's the way (aha aha) I like it (aha aha) :cheese:
:disco::disco:Yeah, I like that song, and the reason it gives for growing hair long, too:D

ArwenUndomiel
January 23rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'm growing my hair because it's the one goal that I've ever had that I just might be able to accomplish. Sounds pretty sad when I put it that way but that's not how I meant it.

I've always wanted to have long beautiful fingernails, but that is never going to happen. I've given up on ever being thin again, so my last goal is to have long, healthy hair. That one I think is attainable.

When I was a little girl, my hair was very, very thin and scraggly looking (I don't know if that's even a real word), so I could never have my hair past collar-bone length without it looking really bad. Then in the 1980's we all wore our hair layered, teased, and hairsprayed - what were we thinking?! But, when I became a mom in the 1990's my hair started to change with each pregnancy. Luckily, the changes were for the better (for the most part).

With my first pregnancy, my hair got thicker. Second pregnancy, my hair got darker (not so happy about this one, oh well). Third pregnancy, my hair got curlier and my last pregnancy everything stayed about the same - hairwise anyway.

I decided to let my hair grow a few years ago (5-6) and I had it to BSL and all one length. Then I got tired of always having to wear it up so I went and had it cut and layered. I realized after that I prefer having my hair one length and long, so.... I'm back to square one as they say.

Right now my hair is at BSL again, but unfortunately I still have layers to grow out. My shortest layer is about an inch or so past my collarbone. I could just cut it off into a blunt cut and then let it grow from there, but I like the length too much to go back to having it short just for the sake of getting rid of a few layers. My plan is to trim frequently and sooner or later I will reach my goal of non-layered waist-length hair.

Veviticus
January 25th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I have always wanted long hair. I think it's beautiful, sexy, and mysterious. Long hair makes me feel more womanly.:)

Sushi144
January 25th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I let my hair grow because when I was a little girl, I wanted to look like a princess. ^^

Then I grew older and my hair just become a part of my identity. It's also because of it people consider me as feminine, even tough I dress up in a rather geeky and very simple way. I'm sure that if I had short hair, I would have been labeled "tomboy".

Buffy
January 26th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I'm the same way with dresses and clothes, so I understand the analogy. I wish I could do that with my hair but I am too lazy to keep it up all the time. I always wish I kept it up more so it would be more special when I wear it down. It makes sense to me, I just don't do it.

I'm glad you get what i mean. I'm exactly the same as you!! I don't do this with my hair! I only do it with clothes, shoes etc sometimes! I WISH i kept it up more, but i don't!!
I'm just giving a theory here,on why other people may do it

Nedertane
January 26th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Well, like a few other people have said, it's kinda always been part of my look/identity (although it's never been TREMENDOUSLY long). It's just always had a fantasy look to me that I like, so for the most part, I like seeing it on myself... And others, hehe. This is my first time getting serious about growing it even more, though, because dern it, I want to look like a Nordic Metal Princess, especially if I were to draw a picture of myself (love drawing long hair).

Also, I have to wonder if I'm kinda doing it to spite the guy who turned me down... We're still friends, but I wasn't exactly hapy about it. Anyway, he has a preference for shorter, or more "unique" styles (dreads, unnatural colors, etc). So, in a sense, you could say that I kinda am getting back at him by growing out natural hair to my waist, BUT this isn't a major reason, if it's really even the truth. I want to do this for ME.

However, the wearing it up thing doesn't really apply to me, even though it should, but I'm naughty. :p

terylenerose
January 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I have several reasons for growing my hair:

It's part of my philosophy/pseudo-religion
I always have to ponytail or bun it for dancing and I hate it when the short pieces fly in my face
My hair is unpredictable and looks funny when it's short
I want to find out if fairytale ends really don't split
Most people cut their hair and I like being different in a harmless way
etc.
And about the wearing it up question, I thought I should say something, but I don't have that much to add. All I can say is, having to wear your hair up shouldn't be a reason not to grow it. I place greater importance on what something is, ie its true nature, than what it looks like. That should cancel out any negative ideas about wearing your hair up. Aside from that, I think that being able to wear your hair up is a perfectly good reason for growing it. :)

Veviticus
January 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I totally agree with everyone's statements, especially about my long hair being my identity. I never imagine that my very own hair, (not a wig, weave or extension) could grow this long. I now cannot imagine myself not just without hair, but without my long hair, which has become almost another appendage in a way. It's one of main things that other people use to describe me. I love the way it hugs and comforts me around my shoulders; the weight of it when it's wet. Through all my ups and downs, it's always there like my favorite blanket (LOL) being one less thing to worry about, and never too demanding. And when I treat it the way it deserves, it shines!

growfro
January 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I *love* the feeling of long hair. The longest mine has been was a couple inches past BSL, which I have a shorter torso, so that was a few inches short of waist.. But then I chopped 9 inches. :rolleyes:

Long hair gives me a sense of comfort. Kind of hard to explain, but I feel more confident and myself with long hair. With short hair I feel vunerable.. Wierd?

palaeoqueen
January 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM
I've never had long hair so partly it's because I want to experience what it's like. It's also because I think long hair is beautiful and feminine and I don't feel either of those things (I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that I'm rather tall and lanky!) so I like the idea of long hair changing my image somewhat :)

Druella
January 31st, 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm growing my hair because i love the elvish or goth princess- look they give me :D I think long hair is part of my personality.

snowfaery
January 31st, 2012, 11:16 PM
I wear my hair up half the time, mostly at night and during the day it's either in a braid or a bun. I am growing my hair out because short hair isn't the right look on me and I feel sexier with longer hair.

Safira
February 2nd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Long hair is just so me. I´m all me when I have long hair.

Sheryl
February 2nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
I'm a long haired person. Even with short hair, I feel like it should be long. I feel awkward with short hair. It's just not me.

Long hair is so "me" and I love it. I feel like it's sexy and feminine.

My husband LOVES it :D

I like to be different and artsy. I have always been a "hippie" and love the look it gives me, especially with the artsy, unusual clothes and accessories to go with it.

I love the henna red and the way the colour looks with greens and golds!

I love the way people look at it now that it's getting long.

I like the next to nature feeling it gives me when I'm diggin in the garden and hiking outdoors.

I like the way it is so easy to style and care for. I can just throw it in a braid or a bun with a stick in a quick minute and it looks tidy and professional. No curling irons, rollers, blowdryers needed ever again! (Alhtough I do roll it in sponge rollers at night occasionally, for something different.)

I will never have short hair again!

Phalaenopsis
February 2nd, 2012, 06:18 AM
I wanted it long because I like it long. It makes me feel feminine. I also like braiding and updos, I love using my long hair as a way to express myself. Most of the time I love taking care of it, it's a hobby.

kmoc123
February 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
I grow mine long because I love it! I don't want to be a "helmet headed" old lady...I am 51 and am very happy with my 40 inch long hair. My Mom and little brother think I should cut it off and I just ignore them. I have never been one to go with trends, but I don things my own way....so I have very long hair! :)

Helenae
February 2nd, 2012, 07:49 AM
I totally agree. Why stress over the inches of your hair growth when you don't even wear it down and see how beautiful it looks?

lunalocks
February 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
Sheryl, what a glorious color you have, and a great updo too!

HintOfMint
February 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
I don't wear it up so much anymore, but when I did, it was for protection. Like another poster said, it's like wearing your favorite fancy dress all the time, you don't do it.

Now that I've reached goal (and then some), I'm not so concerned with protection as I'm maintaining so I can get a small trim whenever I want and not worry about losing too much length. Now I wear it down the vast majority of the time.

nessa454
February 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I'm growing my hair because I love all the hairstyles I able to do with them. I always liked long hair, I feel very feminine with them. And my hair is thick and healthy, so why don't? They give me so many possibilities and of course it's nice to hear some compliments now and then :)