PDA

View Full Version : Hair just falling out :(. HELP, PLEASE!

Tuna
October 13th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I have a big probleme here. My hair is just falling out. It first happend about two weeks ago. I just go trhough my hair with my hand and everytime a lot lot of hair comes out. I'm scared :(.
I didn't changed anything in my hair method... but my scalp has been burned a few times through summer. And it was under a big stress and depression about 3 months back. And now i'm in school and it's stressfull.

Some pepople say it might be baceuse season change (autumn has started, winter is comming).
And some say it might be because of stress.
One of my friend said that it might be because i used a brush for hair extensions on my natural hair. It's very rough one, i used it only few times, though. But indeed, in that time my hair started to fall out.

I'm just scared and stressed because of it. What should have coused this? And what should i do? :(

SpinDance
October 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Tuna, is your hair breaking off, or coming out of your head, shedding? Stress can certainly affect us, and some of the other things you mention might be factors, but some of them are months ago, so if it just started suddenly that seems less likely. Have you had any other diet or health changes?

Of the Fae
October 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Maybe you can visit a doctor, he will search for the cause. I;ve heard once that you can get supplements like calcium. Hairloss can be caused by calcium shortage...

Good luck!!

Tuna
October 13th, 2011, 01:27 PM
It's coming out from my head. :( together with roots. I've once read that stress can effect hair loss, after 2-3 months after the shock happened.... but i don't know where i heard it so i don't know if its a reliable information.
Diet or health changes? Nothing =/

Fethenwen
October 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I'm also shedding quite a lot of hair, but I do that during the fall season. If it is seasonal shedding it will calm down soon.

It depends really on how much hair you are loosing, I shed roughly about 50 hairs now when I brush my hair (once a day). And maybe 20 more just from running my hand through my hair. So it's at least twice or even thrice as much as I use to shed. But this is quite normal, if you are shedding more than that then I guess it could be something else, stress related scalp problems and such.

Ok, it's hard to tell what's normal and what's not just from my estimation, I guess some people shed that amount everyday without getting thinner hair.

But if your shedding is stress related, you might want to use something to calm down yourself and your scalp :) Scalp massage with oils are great for that, you might want to browse the herbal hair section for different methods and blends.

spidermom
October 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
It's coming out from my head. :( together with roots. I've once read that stress can effect hair loss, after 2-3 months after the shock happened.... but i don't know where i heard it so i don't know if its a reliable information.
Diet or health changes? Nothing =/

I believe that is quite true. The most important thing is not to stress out over this. Tell yourself that this too will pass. Do the best you can with your health - rest, water, good food - and your hair will recover.

There have been a couple of times when I couldn't believe the amount of hair that I was shedding, but it always self-corrected. I believe your shedding will self-correct, too. But if it doesn't, see a doctor if you can. There may be some deficiency you don't know about, maybe anemia.

SpinDance
October 13th, 2011, 01:47 PM
The average "normal" daily shed is about 100 hairs a day. If you have been wearing your hair up more than previously the naturally shed hairs may all appear to be coming out at once, when they may in fact be shedding normally all through the day. I'll agree with spidermom, do try not to stress out too much about this. In addition to changing stresses in your life you may just be going through a natural change. All of us have many of these during our lives, and from your age you are probably still going through lots of growth related changes.

A visit to the doctor may be in order and perhaps some research, such as on WebMd may help you better understand your symptoms. If shed hair is the only one it is likely to just be a temporary phase. Oh, you had mentioned something about stress and hair loss - here is a page in an article (http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effect?page=2) about it.

ktani
October 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
It may relieve your stress level to see a doctor or a dermatologist. If there is a medical problem it needs to be attended.

If there is no medical problem then it may just be stress and there are several options for that. Your school may offer some programs or you can look into taking yoga classes for example.

Tuna
October 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'm just stressed. argh :(.
And if it doesn't gets any better till monday, i will wisit my doctor. Damn, that makes me scared. But okay.

ktani
October 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm just stressed. argh :(.
And if it doesn't gets any better till monday, i will wisit my doctor. Damn, that makes me scared. But okay.

Don't be scared. If there is something wrong you are going to be dealing with it early and it most likely is nothing to be concerned about.

If you are right and it is just stress, then stress programs or yoga can help. Fear of the unknown can gnaw at you.

Panth
October 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I've once read that stress can effect hair loss, after 2-3 months after the shock happened.... but i don't know where i heard it so i don't know if its a reliable information.

This is quite true.

Basically, the stress (be it physical or mental - things like a bad illness or surgery can do this too) will shift some of your hair follicles from the anagen (growing) phase into the catagen (transitional) phase. Catagen usually lasts a couple of weeks and after that these hair follicles will progress into the telogen (resting) phase. Telogen usually lasts a couple of months. After that, the hair follicles will progress back into the anagen phase. A new hair will begin to grow and the old one will shed out.

Thus, as you can see, the time between the initial stressor and the actual shedding of the hair is usually 2-3 months.

As for what to do:
- First, don't panic. This is reversible, this can be treated. Don't worry.
- Secondly, go to the doctor. Check you haven't got any other problems that could be affecting your mood or your hair (e.g. vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems).
- Third, try to sort the stress out of your life. Yes, it's far easier said than done. However, it will have beneficial effects on your total health, not just your hair. Your doctor may be able to help with this, or may be able to point you towards someone who can.

Tressie
October 13th, 2011, 03:21 PM
You've received good advice and I don't have anything to add except :grouphug: !
Try not to stress over it, and I'm sure you'll get it sorted out! :flower:

FrozenBritannia
October 13th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Well, I know what you are going through.
I agree, it's very scary, and stressful, and agonising.
Since I don't know why mine started (except I was going through major health issues) and I only know what caused it to grow back (balea hair thickening serum and Orgnx shampoo) I'm afraid I'm not much help to you.

(And before anyone recommends that mix to their balding husbands/friends, I don't know that it will work on everyone as my hair (I hope) would have grown back anyways.. In theory. It's still quite thin, and a slightly different colour. But I'm not complaining.)

Darkhorse1
October 13th, 2011, 08:10 PM
((hugs))
I had this happen and the timing is correct--about 2-3 months after a major trauma(s) in my life, I was losing hair by the handfuls. It was gross and very, very upsetting.

The good thing is, it WILL grow back. For me, I also had severe dandruff that my doctor gave me drops for. This was very painful, hard, crusty dandruff which also contributed to hair loss.

I never noticed my hair loss other than what I was cleaning up in handfuls off the floor. You need to lose over 50% of your hair to see noticable loss, so my advice to you is not to worry--it WILL grow back and what you are seeing will look like a lot more than what you are actually losing.

I would see your doctor just to make sure you aren't anemic. Low iron will cause hair loss.

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Go see a doctor - it could be something as simple as hormones. At least this way, it will be noted and you can both keep an eye on it. I remember having big sheds when I was your age. At that time I remember being happy because my hair is so thick I thought it was great that it was thinning out - how silly of me - lol. Try not to worry about it but rather be observant and rational. I know that's hard when it's happening to you.

Tuna
October 29th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I had visited my doctor and yesterday i got back my blood results. Thanks god, everything is fine, hormones are ok... everything.
My doctor has now send me to a dermatologist. But my appoitment is far away, because it's not urgent.
And i don't want to go bald by then... my hair is still falling out. What can i do? Any home remedies? Good shampoos, vitamins... anything?

MonaLisa
October 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
How much hair actually?

I've been going through bad shedding myself, and so have many girls i know..
It just might be seasonal, but I know how it makes you feel....I'm freaking out every wash..
But sometimes I remember it's been like that every year, it's just my attitude to hair that's changed...

Please don't stress out more about it. It won't help
You are healthy and it's what's most important. Shedding has to stop :)

Do you notice new growth?

Purdy Bear
October 29th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Its good that your going to a dermatologist, they will do some further tests.

There are many causes of hair loss:

Anaemia
Hormones - which you say is ok.
Alopecia in its different forms
Trauma to the root
Traction - too much tension on the hair when doing updos
and so on.

What you can do.
The Aberdeen Infirmary did a study where Aeromatheraphy oils were used in a base oil which where then rubbed into the bald areas of the scalp every day for 20 minutes. This did show some good results.

Some have tried onion juice - this research was on male pattern baldness and showed good results.

Eatting a good nutritionally balanced diet is a must, so make sure you get some good protein, biotin, iron in your diet. If your a vegetarian make sure your getting your nutrients.

De-stress as much as you can. Try out meditation, yoga, and so on, do anything to relax you down.

Keep a journal of your feelings.

Be aware hairloss can effect your tempature, as the hair controls wether you keep the air next to your skin to cool or to warm, so you may need to wear a hat or something warm if your in a cold climate.

It normally can take up to 6 months for anything to show up in the hair, so think back that amount of time, for the cause of the hair loss if its is emotional.

I hope your dermatologist finds the problem. Iv seen many in my time and most are pretty kind, gentle and good people. Go in with a list of questions you want to answer, as you wont remember on the day. Take someone with you, even if they sit outside.

Im with you on this, I have had 90% body hair loss for about 7 years now and only since Iv been on the LHC have I had any sign of regrowth. The forum is an amazing source of information, so stick around and Im sure you'll learn lots.

adiapalic
October 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I'm nearing the end of a long, major shed myself actually. It started around March, and hair was clogging shower drains, central air-filters, tons getting caught in my comb and brush. It's been a really long, drawn out thing that's had me quite worried. I know the causes are starting a diet change (January) and going off hormonal birth control (February). I think it's finally over.

It may relieve your stress level to see a doctor or a dermatologist. If there is a medical problem it needs to be attended.

If there is no medical problem then it may just be stress and there are several options for that. Your school may offer some programs or you can look into taking yoga classes for example.

[bolded by me]

I love this suggestion. My old school offered free yoga sessions, and if you have any available to you, I would seriously consider them. I never felt better than when I was doing yoga. As suggested, I would go to get some medical opinions first to rule out any vitamin deficiencies or other physical health related issues. If you come to a dead end there, it very well may just be stress.

One thing that I learned in a stress management class (also yoga related) was focusing on your breathing, and setting aside 30-minutes of quiet time (no phones, computers, TVs, music... just light a candle or maybe relax in the tub?) to yourself each day. Some find that silly, but it helped me.

So in the mean time, be kind to your hair and use gentle hair tools. Try to relax. :flower:

heidi w.
October 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
If it's falling out in droves and/or clumps, you may well have a thyroid condition. This is discoverable through a simple blood screen exam. However, the "cure" from a medication standpoint can be a bit problematic to resolve, and may take some trial and error. But once it's all established, after a number of months, the hair will grow back.

Get thee to a doctor and bring a sample of how much hair is falling out with you in a plastic baggie.

Good luck. Thyroid, there are two types of thyroid conditions which you can read about online: hypothyroid and hyperthyroid.

Even a borderline case can produce problems in the hair.

And thyroid is one of the more underdiagnosed conditions among women. And while usually it occurs more with older women; it absolutely does occur among younger women too, and not as infrequently as one may imagine.

Talk to a doctor and have a blood screen done to rule this out. And while you're at it, check for anemia (iron-poor blood) as well, which is a result often of heavy dieting. Anemia can produce a chronic increase in shedding long-term and go undiscovered. Little things that people may not realize. You didn't describe quite how much hair is falling out, so I thought I'd mention the anemia possibility as well.

I think ruling out any health reason for all of this is in order. After that, is there anything new in terms of product you've applied to your hair relatively recently?

Hair can also increase in shedding in the wake of breast feeding and giving birth, but it usually only goes for a little bit. If it persists beyond 3 months, I'd check that with a doctor as well.

heidi w.

heidi w.
October 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Its good that your going to a dermatologist, they will do some further tests.

There are many causes of hair loss:

Anaemia
Hormones - which you say is ok.
Alopecia in its different forms
Trauma to the root
Traction - too much tension on the hair when doing updos
and so on.

What you can do.
The Aberdeen Infirmary did a study where Aeromatheraphy oils were used in a base oil which where then rubbed into the bald areas of the scalp every day for 20 minutes. This did show some good results.

Some have tried onion juice - this research was on male pattern baldness and showed good results.

Eatting a good nutritionally balanced diet is a must, so make sure you get some good protein, biotin, iron in your diet. If your a vegetarian make sure your getting your nutrients.

De-stress as much as you can. Try out meditation, yoga, and so on, do anything to relax you down.

Keep a journal of your feelings.

Be aware hairloss can effect your tempature, as the hair controls wether you keep the air next to your skin to cool or to warm, so you may need to wear a hat or something warm if your in a cold climate.

It normally can take up to 6 months for anything to show up in the hair, so think back that amount of time, for the cause of the hair loss if its is emotional.

I hope your dermatologist finds the problem. Iv seen many in my time and most are pretty kind, gentle and good people. Go in with a list of questions you want to answer, as you wont remember on the day. Take someone with you, even if they sit outside.

Im with you on this, I have had 90% body hair loss for about 7 years now and only since Iv been on the LHC have I had any sign of regrowth. The forum is an amazing source of information, so stick around and Im sure you'll learn lots.

This person is accurate in stating that hair tends to respond after a duration of a given incident, 6 months about, max. So it can merit some time to think back. There's always a delay, or most of the time, between the cause and the actual symptom of hair loss.

heidi w.

MsBubbles
October 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM
It might help you to go through each possible cause slowly and methodically. It's hard to do when it seems like every time you run your fingers through your hair you get a clump. I just got finished with a 2 month shed which left my carefully-nurtured waist-length hemline looking thin and tattered.

I would check through all of these things and either rule them out, or look further into them until you can rule them out...

- Hyper- or hypothyroidism (very common condition for women, I have it).

- Genetic thinning (look to your Mother and aunts, grandmothers, etc. If they have full heads of hair you're probably fine, it's probably just a fixable shedding episode)

- Low iron/anemia. Do a search of this site on the problem. The doc may say you're fine but you may still benefit from more iron somehow. This is another common hairloss cause.

- Diet. Too much junk, not enough nutrients, or just not enough calories, period.

- Stress/illness/trauma. This is probably your cause since you brought it up. If this is what is causing your shed, you will just have to wait it out. It will stabilize after a while. Three to four months is the typical delay from trauma to shedding onset.

Great advice here so far. Try to calm down and go through it calmly - that might give you something else to think about until this shedding episode subsides.

heidi w.
October 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
One note about diet. It turns out that many nutrients such as vitamins and minerals are only deliverable and taken up in the body through the appropriate kind of fat. In short, you do need some fat for good nutrition; otherwise, you might be feeding yourself, but no fat, no uptake/delivery to your body. So if you diet, make sure you are getting an appropriate amount of the right kind of fat. Very important!

heidi w.

shikara
October 29th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I will suggest Rosemary oil which stimulates the hair follicles, as well as castor oil which is know to help. Each time before I shampoo, I mix castor oil (say two tbsp - I just eyeball my mix) with jojoba oil (maybe one teaspoon?) with about four or five drops of rosemary oil. I'll pAy closer attention to measurements next wash. I use a medicine dropper to get it on my scalp and cover it with a garbage bag for at least one hour but usually much longer ie through the night on weekends. By the way, I only wash twice a week. Hope this helps!

heidi w.
October 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM
You could consider taking hair vitamins which typically have a boatload of Vitamin A. I have an overload of Vitamin A naturally, so such hair vitamins do not work for me as it then stores in the fat cells, and begins to itch me from the inside-out.

Weird feeling. I'm the only one I've ever heard of that had this problem on LHC. I'm sure others have had it: I just haven't met them. My dermatologist at that point figured it out for me.

Hair vitamins help with stemming the loss of hair on the head.

heidi w.