PDA

View Full Version : Oops.......

UltraBella
October 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I couldn't sleep last night and decided I needed bangs. Part way through cutting them I came to my senses and decided that I probably shouldn't be. So I have weird half bangs, about nose length, some a bit shorter. I can't leave them like this, but I need to think about what kind of bangs I want before I cut anymore. I have given myself the rest of the day to contemplate what to do next and where to hide the scissors from myself when it is 3am and I have a genius idea for a new look. :rolleyes:

What was I thinking ??!!!!

Time to pin them back and head to work.........

Xandergrammy
October 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Oh dear. Well, I know you'll come up with something that looks lovely. Make sure to post pictures, okay?

MonaLisa
October 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Oh my...Oh noes...:(

This happened to me too, and next morning I was hoping it was just a dream...

Well..what to say now - look on the bright side..Bangs are fun, and they grow fast! And nothing can look bad on you i think :)

Mi-chan666
October 13th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Awww... but don't worry, usually bangs grow back pretty fast! :)

Mi

doodlebug66
October 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM
You sound just like me. I have to hide the scissors. Hope they grow back fast for you

LoveMyLongHair
October 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
*winks* you'll be fine......nothing on you would look bad.

Lapin
October 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
aw, i relate to that feeling all too well. but your hair is so beautiful and thick, and with all of those layers i imagine you can blend them in if you really don't like them. i'm a fan of bangs though, especially longer ones, and i imagine they would suit you...

Alvrodul
October 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Oops indeed!

3 am do-it-yourself haircuts REALLY isn't a good idea! I hope the final results on your new bangs is good, though - or at least livable... 8)

pepperminttea
October 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Eek! Fingers crossed you can fashion them into something lovely. :) 3am seems to be immune to the two week rule; I've made some fairly bad decisions then too. :o

Alaia
October 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Oops! Just goes to show you are human after all ;)

The last time I did something stupid to my hair at 3am was the first time I cut my hair from TB back to waist :lol: at least you didn't decide to cut your hair into an asymmetrical bob? :lol:

fiddlefananb
October 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I am sure they will look amazing on you. Your hair is gorgeous. Can't wait to see pics.

spidermom
October 13th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Now that's funny!

UltraBella
October 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Now that's funny!

Thanks, spidermom, no sympathy from you !!! Lol !

So, upon examining them a bit closer, it looks like they are going to have to be fairly short. Ugh

tanpopokitty
October 13th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hahaha, I do this all of the time. Last time, in my half asleep state I forgot that wet hair hangs longer than dry and that when I look UP into the mirror, my eyebrows are higher. I ended up cutting my bangs SO short..ugh... I am still growing them out.

mrs_coffee
October 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I can't even tell you how many times I have impulsively cut bangs and lived to regret it. Unfortunately I never learn.

Yozhik
October 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ahh! :scared:

I think you've just learned my lesson for me. Thus far, I've never had the urge to cut my hair at 3 am, and hopefully now I'll be able to stave off that desire, should it ever strike me. ;)

I'm sure they'll be really cute, though, as soon as you decide how they're going to be.
I can't wait for pics! :)

jujube
October 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Oops. I've done things like that countless times too. Last one being, shaving off a random section of hair.

lapushka
October 13th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Oops indeed. Maybe it'll all be okay once the bangs are cut. Is it too late to leave it as is and just blowdry it back like the rest of your hair?

turtlelover
October 13th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I think you'll look good with bangs. Don't worry about it! ;-)

Corvus
October 13th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Oh my gosh!! :eek: Been there, done that, and ALWAYS regretted it. Fortunately hair grows...........

Kira94
October 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I've done that. That's where my side bangs came from, only I cut them too short and jagged. Ah well, at least they're finally starting to grow out. I hope yours grow out quickly!

Metallia
October 13th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I can't even tell you how many times I have impulsively cut bangs and lived to regret it. Unfortunately I never learn.
Last time I got the impulse to get true bangs cut, my experience at a Great/Best Cuts (can't even remember) finally stopped any future wild ideas. Took a long time to grow those into something useful.
Hope you are able to make yours work, UltraBella! Your beautiful layers look like they can work with anything. :)

heidi w.
October 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Next time if it's 3 am, take a bath or watch the jewelry selling channel instead, and apply the two week rule and wait before enacting...

You're so pretty; I'm sure it'll work out well enough.

heidi w.

PS. For moves like this I say, "Le Ooops!" I believe a mistake sounds classier a la French. hee-hee

Animae
October 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've done this. My most notable time was when I was in the seventh grade and I cut a dime sized chunk of hair off the TOP of my head at the scalp. Yes, I cut a bald patch. then for the longest time I had a bit that just stuck straight up. That was a great look *eyeroll*

I also dye my hair late at night. At least I used to, My best friend started to make me call her from the hair dye isle at the store, so she could talk me down.

PinkyCat
October 13th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sure you'll look even younger & more gorgeous with them. Viva la volume!

AnnaJamila
October 13th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm sure you'll look as lovely as always, whatever you decide! :)

Of the Fae
October 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Happened to me once too :P I cut a few bangs and they were waay to short and crooked :P
Haha hair grows :)

Mythica
October 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Haha! :o I sympathize. I've done the same thing for the same reason. Insomnia is a fickle muse.
I bet the bangs look nice, though. :)

Coan-Teen
October 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Maybe you can phase them in face framing layers? I know the pieces you cut will have to be short but maybe you can blend them into the length a little instead of actually taking the entirety out?

I, too, get the 3 am urge. It's hard to resist sometimes. :) And remember, it always grows back.

growingpains
October 13th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Oh no! On the bright side, your hair seems to grow super fast so they will grow to be side bangs and blend into your hair in no time.

I've done this a few times too, the last time after which I pinned by bangs up or to the side for a solid three months till they became long enough to handle.

Post pics... !

Áine
October 13th, 2011, 01:27 PM
UltraBella, you have enough of a following that you could totally start a popular blog here on LHC. This is a perfect post topic. :-)

proo
October 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Show us them 3am bangs!

Slinks
October 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM
lol - I'm sure your stylest and you will work something out :-) OOPS indeed, you need to hide those scissors !!

luluj
October 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
:thudpile: I'll go ahead and start the thudpile :D

Kumiko033
October 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I bet it doesn't look bad, not the best your can look since you have a lovely face shape you should never-EVER hide! but you'll be able to work it.

I'm really curious to see them to be honest haha!

slz
October 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Show us them 3am bangs!
Yeah, the schadenfreude side of me is going to ask for pics, too :D .

Delila
October 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM
... I have given myself the rest of the day to contemplate what to do next and where to hide the scissors from myself when it is 3am and I have a genius idea for a new look. ...

I'm sorry this happened, but I love this line. Words to live by. :)

(How many messes have I gotten into all because I had some brilliant idea and not enough self restraint?)

TrudieCat
October 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Ooo, I bet they look fabulous!! I did this and totally enjoyed my bangs while they were still short - I also did a sort of Hime-cut thing with longer pieces on the sides for updo purposes. I am not saying you should do that though. But yeah - bangs are fun! And then when they are no longer fun, you grow them out! :D

For me the only not-fun part has been the need to heat-style them to make them not stick straight up in the air ala 1989 (thanks to my wurls). But even that has been sort of fun. I feel like I'm being sooooo dangerous and bad when I use heat tools to straighten out my bangs, heh heh!! :twisted:

Rosethorn
October 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I've actually done that... If you don't find something you like, bangs do grow out fast... Good luck.

Aqua Gal
October 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I agree with everyone above. You could pull ANYTHING off, your hair is awesome. :)

I got a little nuts with self "Deva cutting" for a while..until I realized I took a huge chunk out of the right side of my hair. Gosh, wavy layers are such a blessing in these cases.

Can't wait to see your new bangs.

Nae
October 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I am going to say, I really want to see these bangs before and after you fix them. ;) (I'm sure they will be okay.)

Tressie
October 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM
As others have said, I'm sure you'll look great with bangs...short, or long! (o:

The_Redhead
October 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Oops indeed. Someone needs to send your 3am muse for a time out...bad muse. What is it about bangs they like so much?

With your waves/layers at least you'll be able to blend it in quickly and I'm sure it will look fabulous. There would be no blending for me.

Shannon

KwaveT
October 13th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Big Oops. I am sure they will look good on you. I am glad that I don't have any of this urge since I absolutely hate bangs. I have been wanting to grow them for a long time. Bangs typically grow fairly fast so if need be you can certainly grow said hair back.

Eire
October 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I have actually done that before. But I am not a hair stylist, so I am sure yours are better.

UltraBella
October 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Show us them 3am bangs!

I totally didn't even think about taking a picture of the 3am disaster ! What is wrong with me ?? Wait, don't answer that. We already know I hack my hair in the middle of the night.
So, the 3am bangs were really not okay. My 15yr old daughter made me show her and she giggled uncontrollably and then scolded me like I was 4. She told me I am never allowed to cut my own hair again. I feel like such a failure !!!

I pinned them back and went to work and then pulled my regular stylist aside between appointments and showed her. She tried not to giggle, but she failed. So, she suggested that we turn them into side swept bangs. She did, and they were cute, but half way through the day they were driving me crazy. Some pieces wouldn't stay to the side and while I was bent over a client giving her permanent eyebrows, my bangs poked me in the eye. They kept bugging me and I kept trying to make them go to the side by moving my head, I looked like a had a bad twitch.

I had her cut them shorter. Short enough to stay out of my eyes. It's much better and.... the look is kind of growing on me. I think they will be cute when my hair is down, but today it has just been in a bun.

I took pics of both new bangs, I will go upload them right now.

turtlelover
October 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I want bangs and layers, so I'm hoping for some inspiration and ideas! :cheese:

UltraBella
October 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Here is the first fix, the ones that drove me nuts :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/photobucket-16715-1318562044071.jpg

Here is the finished product, after I had her really chop them :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/photobucket-18538-1318564882028.jpg

Oh, and I somehow forgot to tell you all, on Monday I colored my hair. As close as I can get to my natural color. It's been a week for change !!

Debra83
October 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
hmmmmm...tapping toes here waiting for the uploads!!!! I'm going to refresh the thread, just in case they came "up" while I was reading the posts!!!

Debra83
October 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
WOW!!!! It looks GREAT - both of them - but I'm sure you'll enjoy them the way you ended up with them!!!

Love the colour too!!!!

You're so LUCKY!!! My mistakes like that make me resemble a polliwog!!!! Yours make you look like a SUPERMODEL!!!

Yozhik
October 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I like the bangs and I like your new color! :flowers:

turtlelover
October 13th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I like both, but I think I like the 2nd one best.

Vanille_
October 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think the bangs and color look great :)

UltraBella
October 13th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Here's a pic of it down. Sorry they are all from the side, I only have my smart phone camera at the moment.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/photobucket-20949-1318568314460.jpg

cheetahfast
October 13th, 2011, 11:13 PM
It looks wonderful!!!!! The bangs are adorable on you :) somehow they make you look younger (in a good way!) :flower:

turtlelover
October 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
LOVE it even more in this pic!

UltraBella
October 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks ! Credit goes to the awesome stylist Melissa, who saved me from looking like a complete doofus.

turtlelover
October 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I am never sure how far back my bangs should go. How do you best determine that? Is there any "rule" about it?

Asequui
October 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM
UltraBella - I've unfortunately taught myself the lesson of "do not cut your own hair!" a few times before it finally stuck.
Luckily yours wasn't a horrible disaster.
The bangs look really good!
I'm glad your stylist was able to fix them for you. :D

Juneii
October 13th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Geez Ultra Bella! I clicked into this thread thinking that you did something absolutely horrible to your hair and was going to join everyone in comforting you. And then you upload photos that shows your hair looking fresh and cute. Oops? More like Oh my goodness that looks good on you!

One of my friends trimmed her bangs at 2am before. She was too tired to see straight or think logically but for whatever reason did not want to go to bed at a normal hour. So she ended up cutting her bangs but it refused to be straight across. You know how it is, you try to make an even cut but one piece is shorter than the other and you try to fix it and oh look there goes 4 extra inches. Yes, it was rather comical, her bangs got halfway up to her forehead before she realized her mistake. So she left her bangs with one side brushing her eyebrows and the other a good half inch shorter. It was really obvious. I felt a bit bad for laughing so much >___>

UltraBella
October 14th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I am never sure how far back my bangs should go. How do you best determine that? Is there any "rule" about it?

The only rule that is important and should be stuck to when cutting bangs is this : use the outer edge of your iris as your guide. Follow it up to your hair line and section accordingly, repeat on the other side. The bang or fringe section should fall within this guideline, anything outside of that may end up cutting into your hairline and be a large mistake that is difficult to grow out. From iris to iris (outer edge) is the safety zone.

Thickness of bang is all relative. Mine is about an inch thick. I have thick hair so I could go much thicker if I wanted, but the bang area would be quite heavy.

Geez Ultra Bella! I clicked into this thread thinking that you did something absolutely horrible to your hair and was going to join everyone in comforting you. And then you upload photos that shows your hair looking fresh and cute. Oops? More like Oh my goodness that looks good on you!

It really was an oops ! I wish I would have thought to take a picture. It looked like a chimpanzee used cuticle clippers to give me a trim. :eyebrows:
Thank goodness it was still quite long overall, so fixable.

kamikaze hair
October 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I totally love your bangs, both the side swept longer ones and then the shorter ones. both look awesome on you. I'm glad your stylist was able to do something with them that you liked and works well. (now don't scare us like that ever again, bad ultrabella, bad!) :D

Bazinga
October 14th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I think the shorter bangs look really good.

xoxophelia
October 14th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I really like the new color and bangs! At first I thought it was a picture of your daughter

aurorabridge
October 14th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Maybe push them to the side and have a swoopy side bang. It would look lovely on you.

Nae
October 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Too cute!! I knew it!

I'm glad your kiddo got a good laugh out of it though hehe.

UltraBella
October 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Too cute!! I knew it!

I'm glad your kiddo got a good laugh out of it though hehe.

She is NEVER going to let me cut her bangs again !

Delila
October 14th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Well I'm glad it ended up better than it started. :) Whew.

Thanks for the info on how to choose what to cut, I'd never realized how such things are done.

(Wore bangs my entire life until I decided to grow out a pixie and let my hair get long. Growing out my bangs was the worst part, I suppose because I'd never done it before.)

lapushka
October 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM
They look great! I love both looks, actually! Phew, what a relief. :)

Corvus
October 14th, 2011, 08:46 AM
They don't look bad at all!!

PinkyCat
October 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Whaaaat? Ain't no oops about it.

AuburnTresses
October 14th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Well, UltraBella I think you don't really know what it is to have a bad haircut. :lol: Anything you seem to do looks great, but that's the beauty of having a wonderful face and smile. I hope you enjoy your spontaneous bangs!

jojo
October 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
oh dear! I remember shaving my widows peak off a little too far back (though shouldnt have shaved it off anyway!!) in the early hours, it was a ploy to stop me eating chocolate chip cookies, which I did anyway!!!

mrs_coffee
October 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
You look super cute with bangs! They actually accentuate your eyes really nicely.

justgreen
October 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I love the bangs, especially the finished product, almost like mine. Not to much, just right. And I love the color, but then I'm a blonde phreak!

UltraBella
October 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
HahahaHAHA !! I REALLY need to take a pic of this for you all : in the morning I looked crazy !!

So, I decided that I like my new look but I do not like sleeping with bangs on my forehead. I twisted them back and clipped them with a tiny jaw clip. This morning I took out the clip and I looked like a rooster. Or a particular scene from the movie There's Something About Mary. It was so goofy looking. I sprayed them with water and then blow-dried them for about 45 seconds and then I looked normal again. Obviously this will be my new morning ritual.

proo
October 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
We should start a thread called "things to do at 3am instead of cutting your hair"

newbeginning
October 14th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I like the side swept and final bangs.

leslissocool
October 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I like them! they look great!

getoffmyskittle
October 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I really like it too. :lol: All's well that ends well!

kidari
October 14th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I just saw this thread right now, I love the new bangs!

Kyla
October 14th, 2011, 10:34 PM
We should start a thread called "things to do at 3am instead of cutting your hair"

I second this notion, although the bangs came out really cute. :)

longhairedlady
October 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Oh your bangs are cute! I screwed up one time and cut HEAVY bangs, like 1 inch thick. Now that looked bad! But yours look pretty!

beccababesx
October 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I did exactly this around 3 weeks ago except I pulled them straight and cut them so they bounced up to around 1 inch long I AM NOT JOKING I looked like a scarecrow. They're growing out fast thank god but I still can't wear them down!

TrudieCat
October 15th, 2011, 08:46 AM
HahahaHAHA !! I REALLY need to take a pic of this for you all : in the morning I looked crazy !!

So, I decided that I like my new look but I do not like sleeping with bangs on my forehead. I twisted them back and clipped them with a tiny jaw clip. This morning I took out the clip and I looked like a rooster. Or a particular scene from the movie There's Something About Mary. It was so goofy looking. I sprayed them with water and then blow-dried them for about 45 seconds and then I looked normal again. Obviously this will be my new morning ritual.

Haha, I know *exactly* what you mean! :laugh: I clip my bangs either back or to the side every night, and have to corral them into submission in the morning anyway. But they look beautiful on you, congrats on your new do!

wooliswonderful
October 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
UB, I love the bangs! :)