PDA

View Full Version : Defeating a stubborn center part

swords & roses
October 13th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Since I was born, I've always had a center part (yes, I was even born with long hair, lol!). Most of the time, I'm just fine w/ my part. But of course, there are occasional issues. Whenever I'm trying to do a hairstyle where I brush my hair straight back from the hairline, which should theoretically eliminate the center part, the hair instantaneously moves to either side a tiny bit, showing the center part again. The snafu I'm currently running into is with trying to do a small pompadour like this (practicing hairstyles for a fun & fancy shindig on Saturday):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIl4t9N1i1s&feature=relmfu

When I take a section of hair from my hairline, pull it back, then clip it a bit forward of where it would lay flat (to achieve the pompadour/poof), the pesky center part makes the poof split in two! >_< I've tried gathering the section of hair exending from my hairline to halfway back on my head, thinking more hair to work with would help since it's so fine & wispy, but no luck. It still splits the poof.

Has anyone else run into this issue? What can I do to keep the poof from splitting? TIA!

Mythica
October 13th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Maybe you could divide the front section in two and cross it? If it's an overlapping wedge shape:

...Then it might hide the part more?

Just guessing, though. I'd test it out myself, but I trained out my center part already.

swords & roses
October 13th, 2011, 07:14 AM
*runs to mirror to try it*

No luck. That method covers the part while the section of hair is held flat against my head, but when I move the section a little forward of that to make the poof, it still splits.

My hair can be so stubborn some(most)times! >_<

littlenvy
October 13th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I have that same kind of an issue with a side (left) part. :( On top of that at the end of my part there is some scalp cleavage.
The only thing that somewhat works for me is to dry it into place where I want it. But that only lasts as long as my hair is 'dry', once it gets a bit oily it goes back to the side part.

tigereye
October 13th, 2011, 07:25 AM
My hair does that, but with a left part. I brush/comb/whatever my haire into a very sleek ponytail. By the time i'm done, my part is appearing. I don't mind mine, actually. It softens the look a bit, along with the wisps that come out over the course of the day, which I tuck behind my ear.
I don't have any suggestions for you though. I don't like poofs/pompadour/quiffe on me, because I have a long-ish face, and it makes it look even longer. Maybe instead of combing it back, then pushing forwards, you could try combing them criss-crissing (like above) over your fingers. Fix, then carefully remove your fingers? Just a suggestions

hs_atreides
October 13th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I also have a stubborn cowlick/part. I f I try for anything other than center to barely off-center, one section of hair will always find it's way straight down my forehead.

If you are willing to use a blowdryer, you might have some temporary success.

Comb or brush the damp section into a side part. Blowdry, combing/brushing away from the part. After a few strokes, carefully comb into a side part of the opposite side. Blowdry using same brushing away from the part. Continue going back and forth until hair is mostly dry. You can even add a quick lift of the roots and blowdry, for volume.

Hope this helps and that I worded it alright :)

Mythica
October 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM
*runs to mirror to try it*

No luck. That method covers the part while the section of hair is held flat against my head, but when I move the section a little forward of that to make the poof, it still splits.

My hair can be so stubborn some(most)times! >_<

Aw, biscuits. Sorry it didn't work. :flower:

lapushka
October 13th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Go through it carefully with a fine toothed comb (start from the roots), then spray hairspray as you go? Can't think of anything else...

longhairedwolf
October 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
My hair naturally falls into a center part. As others have suggested, blow drying helps me keep it off-center, the way I like it.

Flying Penguin
October 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I don't know if this would work for you, but I would try to first make a side part when I wash my hair. (What I do is actually change the part before I shower, when it's still dry, then dampen it with water to make it stay. Then get in the shower and keep the part like that.) So if it dries with a side part, it hopefully won't revert back to the center part when you try the poof. Good luck!

Babs1551
October 13th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have 4b hair and women of my texture can brush their hair around their heads in a wrap and cover with a scarf overnight. It clears any part biases.

teal
October 14th, 2011, 12:07 AM
The first thing I thought of after reading the original post was those as-seen-on-TV things called Bumpits. No idea if they would work.

swords & roses
October 14th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Flying Penguin--I'll give that a try today. Thanks!

teal--I thought about those too, but my hair is very fine & wispy. I wonder if the bumpit might show through. I'll have a look at the store and see how well they match my hair color. Might be worth a shot!

Flying Penguin
October 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Flying Penguin--I'll give that a try today. Thanks!

teal--I thought about those too, but my hair is very fine & wispy. I wonder if the bumpit might show through. I'll have a look at the store and see how well they match my hair color. Might be worth a shot!

Let me know if it works! :)

bluesnowflake
October 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I had to do a bump for dance and my hair does the same thing. What I ended up doing was taking the section and braiding it very loosely, with the braid starting 2 inches from the actual roots of the hair. Then I rolled up the braid and put it under those 2 unbraided inches to create the poof. The braid underneath seemed to keep it from splitting, and it stayed really well. Depending on how big you want the poof, you can vary where the braid part starts (2 inches from roots, 3, etc.) Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, it's kind of hard to explain.

QMacrocarpa
October 16th, 2011, 04:46 PM
For drying freshly-washed hair without a center part, a stretchy hairband is useful for keeping my part where I want it while it's drying. You could also comb straight back and use the hairband to keep the hair unparted while drying.

BeccaAngel
October 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
backcomb it! or in other words, tease it! :P (no its not that bad for your hair as long as your gentle when you comb it back out later) dont forget hairspray too

bluesnowflake
October 16th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Oh goodness, DO NOT under any circumstances backcomb it. It's terrible for your hair and is nearly impossible to get out. Not worth it at all. One other suggestion for the part is to part your hair on the side after you shower and put it in a low ponytail to hold the part- if it dries like that it might stay better.