PDA

View Full Version : Horn and wood comb just broke

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I bought this comb on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180715979051
and love it. I used it to comb through my hair last night, laid it on the couch armrest, moved my arm and it dropped to the floor. The thick horn part broke off along with a little bit of wood it was attached to. I'm bummed because it's such a great comb.

I've only had it for 3 weeks. My fault, I know, but is this normal? I mean, I know if I drop a glass it will break but I didn't think this would happen to horn. Buy another or contact the seller? Hubby thinks he could epoxy it but thinks if I use it, it will just rebreak.

The annoying thing is that when I bought it 3 weeks ago it was $17.99 + $2.50 for postage and now it's $19.99 and $7 for postage so that's a huge increase for such a short time!!!

Lapin
October 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
What a bummer! I sympathize as I am a clutz and constantly drop and break my delicate things, which is why i don't own many. even my dog has finally learned to steer clear of my feet while i walk :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you contact the sellar and explain what happened, they will offer you a discount. It's worth a shot, right?

furnival
October 13th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Does the broken part fit back together with the main part nice and closely? If it does, I'd suggest repairing it yourself. Epoxy glue is great stuff, and the bonds it creates can often be stronger than the original material. Make sure to apply even pressure as it dries, and sand off any glue that squeezes out of the side. If the comb is polished, restore the finish by careful sanding with progressively finer sandpaper until it shines, and apply a drop of oil. Hope that helps! You could always contact the seller and ask if there's any chance they'd fix it free of charge if you're not too confident about repairing it. It does seem a bit crap that it broke so easily.

kittensoupnrice
October 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Another option is to use wood glue. Wood glue binds very strongly and before it dries can be wiped off other surfaces with a damp cloth.

If you can fit the two pieces together with a minimal crack, I think that would work better than epoxy.

Macaroni
October 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'd contact the seller and ask which glue was used originally to attached the comb to the handle and I'd use the same stuff.

furnival
October 14th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'd contact the seller and ask which glue was used originally to attached the comb to the handle and I'd use the same stuff.

Hmmm... I wouldn't. It broke... :o

BlazingHeart
October 14th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think it's worth contacting the seller to see what they say. A friendly note that asks if this is normal breakage and how they would recommend repairing it might get a positive result.

~Blaze

lastnite
October 14th, 2011, 06:03 PM
that is a nice comb. judging by their feedback, the seller might be new so it might be a good idea to contact them. maybe they don't know their combs break easily and can work on improving them in the future... maybe they'll use a better glue or method of attaching the 2 pieces together :)

I don't know if horn should break like that, but my bodyshop wooden comb falls on the floor or goes flying quite often and it hasn't broke.

silverjen
October 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm rather clumsy, and have dropped my horn comb any number of times without it breaking. From your description, it sounds like the join between the wood and the horn was what failed. In that case, I would contact the seller. If nothing else, they would probably like to know that part of the comb needs to be improved.

Pity. It's a beautiful comb.